Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Thanks, was thinking the same.
    Is there some form of matchmaking in Arena? Or is it just random?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So came back to HS and decided to finally raid the last 4 quarters of Naxx, decided i needed some more cards.

Bought a 7 pack and in my first pack got Ragnaros. Nearly cried....

Wiped most of the bosses clean, had to swap around for Sapphiron as i needed more cards with charge to beat that stupid ability she has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Thanks, was thinking the same.
    Is there some form of matchmaking in Arena? Or is it just random?
    Random based on wins; I'd also recommend buying the full Nax bundle in one go to save you gold/money.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Random based on wins is matchmaking :P

Personally I'd recommend buying Nax, 700 gold X5 is a lot of gold to blow on it I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JaffOs

Just getting into this - almost have all Heroes at level 10.
    Is it worth the 700 gold to go for 1st level of Naxxramas? Or should I just open packs/arena at this stage?

I actually think unless you are making a zoo deck that spending 700 gold on Naxx is a waste, you can only buy the wings in order and the first one has 2 pair of really good cards in the haunted creeper and nerubian egg and a legendary but thats 5 (out of 7) useful cards. Buying basic will be 35 random cards but if you are starting out I would stick to basic set and round out your base set first. There are some really amazing cards in Naxx and I recommend getting the whole set at some point but thats 3500 gold investment for 30 cards while the same amount in basic booster will get you 175 cards allowing you more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well said.

You want haunted creeper and Sludge Belcher as they are the two outstanding naxx cards. Everything else is situational.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

loatheb !!!

loatheb !!!

Actually looking at it again the second wing is also worth it for sludge belcher and Loatheb but after that I feel the cards are more deck situational but 1400 gold is alot, about three weeks of quests. I think if you are starting new at this stage you may have to start planning out what deck you want to build and where to spend your gold (Basic/Naxx/GvG), aggro seeming still to be the cheapest solid decks to start off with. Was just looking at mech mage and if you cut Dr Boom and Loatheb it seems like all you need is GvG packs and basic set, probably the cheapest deck to get into at the moment (zoolock still requires most of Naxx I think)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thinking ahead to next expansion/adventure what effects do you think we could see currently not in place?
    • For shaman I'd expect a version of innervate; 1 mana, gain 3 mana, 1 overload
    • Stopping your enemy to draw one card (possible with flip side they draw three cards the turn after or similar)
    • Randomly remove a card from your enemy deck
    • Force enemy to discard a card in their hand
    • Change card type to beast/pirate/mech
    • Anti silence (i.e. remove the silence effect on a card)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Nody wrote: »
    I was thinking about something like that, though I think it would be better done as 'remove the last negative effect from a minion' instead. That way it would be broad enough to be anti Hex, Poly etc. too, but if a minion is silenced and then takes 1 damage, it'll just remove the one damage, which gives your opponent a chance to play around it.

As for other stuff, I'm sure eventually we'll see DK and Monk heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Thinking ahead to next expansion/adventure what effects do you think we could see currently not in place?
    • For shaman I'd expect a version of innervate; 1 mana, gain 3 mana, 1 overload
    • Stopping your enemy to draw one card (possible with flip side they draw three cards the turn after or similar)
    • Randomly remove a card from your enemy deck
    • Force enemy to discard a card in their hand
    • Change card type to beast/pirate/mech

A nerf to warlock hero ability.
    A zero cost,common card that neutralises all death rattles and returns the card to your hand after play.
    Delete Hunters from the game completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I just opened a gold Malorne

do I instantly disenchant for Dr. Boom?

worst comes to worst Dr. Boom gets the nerf hammer and I get full disenchant value again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Blowfish wrote: »
    I was thinking about something like that, though I think it would be better done as 'remove the last negative effect from a minion' instead. That way it would be broad enough to be anti Hex, Poly etc. too, but if a minion is silenced and then takes 1 damage, it'll just remove the one damage, which gives your opponent a chance to play around it.

I always thought that they should've splite Silence into Silence (for disabling abilities) and Dispel (for removing buffs).

So Silence get's rid of Stormwind Champions +1/+1 ability, Ysera's card draw, Deathrattles and so on while Dispel removes positive buffs like Divine Shield, Shattered Sun Cleric +1/+1 buff as well as debuffs like Hunter's Mark, Silence and possibly things like Hex, Polymorph and other transformations.

It's probably more in keeping with the lore as well, which is a bonus.

I just opened a gold Malorne

do I instantly disenchant for Dr. Boom?

worst comes to worst Dr. Boom gets the nerf hammer and I get full disenchant value again
    Yes.

ah cool I'll dust it so.

Was getting very tired of playing ladder and trying to trade well and gain board control only to get blown out of the water by legendary combos that I cannot compete with - Jeraxus, rag, Alexandria, that dream dragon every single game. Im still only new so I just dont have the cards to compete with them.

so I thought a change of strategy was needed. I now run a completely retard rush to the face deck. Ive got it up to rank 8 so far. The game is usually over before I have to face anything too powerful. there's not too much thought to it at all which is a pity but its the only way I can compete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

ah cool I'll dust it so.

Was getting very tired of playing ladder and trying to trade well and gain board control only to get blown out of the water by legendary combos that I cannot compete with - Jeraxus, rag, Alexandria, that dream dragon every single game. Im still only new so I just dont have the cards to compete with them.

so I thought a change of strategy was needed. I now run a completely retard rush to the face deck. Ive got it up to rank 8 so far. The game is usually over before I have to face anything too powerful. there's not too much thought to it at all which is a pity but its the only way I can compete

If it makes you feel better, I've been playing a good while and still haven't gotten past rank 14 with any deck, so for a newbie to get to 8, I think that's pretty good.

GodlessM wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better, I've been playing a good while and still haven't gotten past rank 14 with any deck, so for a newbie to get to 8, I think that's pretty good.

up to rank 6 now :)

I might park it there for the season and try beat it next season

up to rank 6 now :)

I might park it there for the season and try beat it next season

Your rank resets each Season, though the higher it is, the more bonus stars you start with.

I have to say I would not like most of those effect.
    [*]For shaman I'd expect a version of innervate; 1 mana, gain 3 mana, 1 overload
    Mana acceleration (and ability to chose between two options) is a staple design of the Druid class, I cant see them mixing features of a class with other or they risk class homogenization and reduce the uniqueness of each class, I would like to see a minion that draws cards based on each time you overload to compensate Shamans poor card draw, it would be balanced out by the overload preventing you playing to many of those cards next turn.
    [*]Stopping your enemy to draw one card (possible with flip side they draw three cards the turn after or similar)
    Iron Juggernaut already kind of does this the turn you draw the mine so there is precedence for this effect and Loatheb already is a card that effects your opponents turn. Its interesting idea.
    [*]Randomly remove a card from your enemy deck
    Again interesting idea, mill druid works this way so I could see this as a possibility.
    [*]Force enemy to discard a card in their hand
    I think this one is a no. Not for the idea of the effect but more in the way blizzard designed the game where your opponent cannot interact on your turn. It could be randomly but I think the negative feeling it causes the person that its played against is not a road blizzard wants to go down. Player feeling is important as devs have said the Mind Control nerf was not due to the card been op but that it created too much negative feeling for the person that it was played againts.
    [*]Change card type to beast/pirate/mech
    Meh, balancing issues is all I will say.
    [*]Anti silence (i.e. remove the silence effect on a card)
    NO NO NO. I have heard this before and I am strongly against this idea. silence is such a rare effect with a high enough cost that nerfing is a bad idea. Most decks dont even run it and then if they do it usually only two. I like the shaman card reincarnate because it is a pseudo anti silence but with a price. Silence is an important effect to the game.

Blowfish wrote: »

Again there should be no anti hex or anti poly, they are both hard removals. The game needs hard removals to keep powerful cards in check, also it a hard penalty to two specific classes removal where you cant remove and execute or assassinate ect that out right remove a minion.

• Advertisement

Had a tough time yesterday.

Seems like even at the rank 18 mark (or 20+ yesterday due to season resets) people have Ragnaros, Cairne Bloodhoof and others. Also the unstable portal card giving them some lucky epics/legendaries!

I assume these guys are just farming wins? Is that a thing?
    I will admit I thought of it as an easy way to get the 3 wins and grind gold for packs but also thought there might be some detection on the Blizzard side.

Very satisfying when you beat them with a basic deck, but I think the barriers for entry are pretty high?
    I haven't looked for decks online yet bar the basic card decks and have played Mage/Druid pretty much exclusively - I'm thinking of trying to work in some cheap removal/silence cards to help deal with the big drops

Thoughts?

EDIT: Don't mean for it to sound like a rant, people that have bought more packs/played for longer should have better cards than me but is the farming thing that prevalent or are they just bad players?

Considering you only get 10 gold for 3 wins, I don't think people are farming packs that way. As for cards, some staple cards are basics, both neutral and class specific alike. And the counter to many cards such as Rag are basic cards like Polymorph and Assassinate. And in the end it is luck of the draw. As time went on and I acquired more rare cards my decks got better, but so did those of many others, so you will find your overall average standing can end up the same quite often.

On another note, I've noticed lately that if I log off with an incomplete Arena run when I log back in to the game at a later time the game has added a loss to my record saying I DC'ed from a game, despite that not being the case. I've also noted that if it cannot find an opponent it is counting me as having DC'ed and adding a loss also. Anyone else having these problems? It makes Arena very frustrating to use because I could be doing well and then just get effectively booted out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Barrier for entry will get higher and higher as the game gets older, something they will need to address. Already new people are pissed at arena giving gvg packs only as pretty quickly you get all the commons and just have a ton of duplicates.

A lot of people instant concede at those high ranks to stay there and earn gold easily yeah.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Also, the season resets at the start of every month, so you may be playing high rankers who are climbing their way back up the ladder

Had a tough time yesterday.

Seems like even at the rank 18 mark (or 20+ yesterday due to season resets) people have Ragnaros, Cairne Bloodhoof and others. Also the unstable portal card giving them some lucky epics/legendaries!

I assume these guys are just farming wins? Is that a thing?
    I will admit I thought of it as an easy way to get the 3 wins and grind gold for packs but also thought there might be some detection on the Blizzard side.

Very satisfying when you beat them with a basic deck, but I think the barriers for entry are pretty high?
    I haven't looked for decks online yet bar the basic card decks and have played Mage/Druid pretty much exclusively - I'm thinking of trying to work in some cheap removal/silence cards to help deal with the big drops

Thoughts?

EDIT: Don't mean for it to sound like a rant, people that have bought more packs/played for longer should have better cards than me but is the farming thing that prevalent or are they just bad players?

I was having the exact same problem as you so I addressed it by playing a face Hunter deck. Basically I retard rush to the face every single turn (with some exceptions obviously) and the game is over before people can pull out their really strong cards.

I was stuck around rank 14 last season trying to play "properly" but when I switched I shot up to rank 6 in 2 days. I'll play the same deck this season and see how high I can take it. Its pretty basic and not that much fun but this is the plan until I can gather enough dust to make a fun deck

Didn't realise the resets had such an effect, Rank 12's being reset to 20 easily explains it. I imagine I won't see quite as many in a week or so.
    I was having the exact same problem as you so I addressed it by playing a face Hunter deck. Basically I retard rush to the face every single turn (with some exceptions obviously) and the game is over before people can pull out their really strong cards.

I tried a variant of this with the mage and it did work a few times, getting that last fireball in when he has a board full of legendaries is sweet.
    I've had a look at the face hunter deck but I don't have a few of the key cards for it yet, will keep it in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I tried a variant of this with the mage and it did work a few times, getting that last fireball in when he has a board full of legendaries is sweet.
    I've had a look at the face hunter deck but I don't have a few of the key cards for it yet, will keep it in mind though.

You should be able to find some basic Hunter and Warlock Zoo decks that can be made with few "rarer" cards. Any of the older free to play decks should do fine for grinding out cards too.

The Legendaries thing, well it's just like when you start up any CCG. You can't play control unless you want to spend a lot of money, so you put together some fast aggro deck that makes their big rare cards meaningless. The problem in Hearthstone is that control isn't the meta, aggro is due to the F2P nature, so you'll be facing a lot of meta tuned fast aggro alongside the slower decks. A cheap Zoo deck will beat a current Zoo deck a good percentage of the time though.

Can teach annoying priest control, very cheap decks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can teach annoying priest control, very cheap decks :D

I still haven't forgiven you for that best of 3 in that tournament last year with that cheap-ass gimmick deck!!!! :P

• Advertisement

I felt so dirty winning, and then annoying people all the way to legend in half hour games where their own minions hit them in the face and they fatigue :p

Playing+against+priests+in+hearthstone+no+stop+healing+no+stop+killing_69bd2f_5184685.gif

Perhaps mill druid next? :D

Advertisement