Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HearthStone Heroes of Warcraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Nody wrote: »
    Until your opponent says "Sorry" and drops a silence minion :(

Well unless they do that in between turns 3 and 4 you are still getting off your 20 damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well G&G was finally available this morning; bought 73 packs between cash and gold. Ended up with two legendaries (the Hunter & Warrior one, so much <3 for the Warrior one) and 95% of all epic down cards (missing a couple of epics and a ton of legendary). The one thing I noted is you get a lot of duplicates even in a single package and I had something like 7 copies of some cards so there will definitely be more dust generated from this set. Someone did a calculation that you'd need 240 packs to get all cards (inc. using dust) based on average draw but having 7k dust saved up I think that time may be cut down drastically.

Now I need to start rebuilding decks to add in the new cards (I can already see some fun with the Warrior legendary and brewmaster (oh did I mention you have 3 10 point mines in your deck and you can't stop me from casting it? Sorry...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I opened 11 packs (3 free and 8 bought with gold) and got zero legendaries and two of the worst epics :D

Hobgoblin

Shadowbomber

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seifer wrote: »
    I opened 11 packs (3 free and 8 bought with gold) and got zero legendaries and two of the worst epics :D

Hobgoblin

Shadowbomber
    Pfft Hobgoblin + that Imp Bomb is where it's at :P

Serious question though; does anyone know if Hobgoblin would work with doggies for Hunter? Could be a serious combo for only 6 mana to drop on the table.

I also want to try a priest face deck; I think there might be some potential there...

Serious question though; does anyone know if Hobgoblin would work with doggies for Hunter? Could be a serious combo for only 6 mana to drop on the table.
    Hobgoblin only grants +2/+2 for minions played from the hand. Minions put in play by any other means do not trigger Hobgoblin.

So I'm guessing not.

• Advertisement

Seifer wrote: »
    So I'm guessing not.
    Well that moved it from situational to pretty useless; I guess you could try to abuse it later with Acolyte of Pain (3/5) and a couple of 1/1s or similar but not exactly impressive turn 6 drop at earliest... At least you can do the paladin version (esp. with the hammer card) of the idea :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ive only opened 5, got goblin blastmage which I love and flame cannon. Also love the piloted shredder I got, definitely going in. Mage deck it is.

I give up on classic packs, I've opened 250 and not 1 giant :eek:

Managed to get on last night, but got a poor draw. Out of 11 packs I did manage a Golden Nesingwary, but nothing else of note. Got far too many Tank MAX.

What I like about the new set is it has put most classes at the point where in deck-building you really are making a decision about what specific way to run with the deck, as most have enough good options now to run several viable set-ups. It's confusing and exciting at the same time.

I give up on classic packs, I've opened 250 and not 1 giant :eek:
    Sounds like it's crafting time (and honestly no need for more than one sea giant, I think I ended up crafting two giants) :P

Personally I have to build a warrior control deck (steal current one I got and add to it as an first attempt but need stomp, warrior legendary etc.), update my murlock deck (still thin warlock works better than shaman even with the new cards), update my warlock giant control deck, add the 7 mana Trogg to every deck (6/6 and you get a free 3/5 for every spell your opponent cast? That mean even if they fireball it you get a free minion!) and try to build a rogue pirate / mech / weapon deck along with a druid ramp mech deck.

Sounds like it's crafting time (and honestly no need for more than one sea giant, I think I ended up crafting two giants) :P

Personally I have to build a warrior control deck (steal current one I got and add to it as an first attempt but need stomp, warrior legendary etc.), update my murlock deck (still thin warlock works better than shaman even with the new cards), update my warlock giant control deck, add the 7 mana Trogg to every deck (6/6 and you get a free 3/5 for every spell your opponent cast? That mean even if they fireball it you get a free minion!) and try to build a rogue pirate / mech / weapon deck along with a druid ramp mech deck.

For Murlocs, there's a new legend that spawns 4 Murlocs into your hand.

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    For Murlocs, there's a new legend that spawns 4 Murlocs into your hand.
    Yes but 7 mana, 4 random once which you can't play until at least turn 8. To be honest most Murlocs game are over by turn 5 or 6 and anything beyond that tend to be your slow death as the mid/control decks come into strength :P

This is why Puddle stomper is a great fit (2 mana) and why things like Dark bomb could work (don't lose a card) etc.

Yes but 7 mana, 4 random once which you can't play until at least turn 8. To be honest most Murlocs game are over by turn 5 or 6 and anything beyond that tend to be your slow death as the mid/control decks come into strength :P

This is why Puddle stomper is a great fit (2 mana) and why things like Dark bomb could work (don't lose a card) etc.

Good point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm too stubborn to craft giants, feck em. Onto new and better things :D
    Might use my dust on some classic legendaries i dont have. Must have 5-8k or something.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Finally released, opened 6 packs today total... 6 packs of 4C + 1R. So sad ;_; On the plus side I got some pretty decent cards in all.

Bought 8 packs with gold this morning and picked up a Legendary I went and crafted yesterday :mad: (That deathrattle summon another legendary one)

Also happy to report that the Warrior legendary mine works just fine; gave me a big grin this morning blowing up a priest. Also Stomp animation is very poor; you don't figure it out until afterwards :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm not going to lie. I have expenses being paid tomorrow.

I plan on geting 40 packs :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'll be getting 40 for Christmas off my sister. RIP F2P

Well I'll probably buy more down the line but as I'm down to legendaries only basically I'm looking at 3 cards (2 drops, 1 crafted) / 60 packs and I don't want to dust until the first big balance patch :/

Best interaction with new cards so far:

Arena; I'm druid vs. hunter.

His board is Piloted Shredder Ogre Brute and a secret up.

I have a harvest golem.

I know the secret is either freezing trap, snake trap or misdirection. Decide I have to try clear some of his board so attack into piloted shredder and it's snake trap. Attack into shredder with hero power to kill it. Drops doomsayer. Starts his turn and clears his board :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JaffOs

Got my first GvG moment, was playing a warlock against a priest. I had two void callers on board and he had a stolen annoy-o-tron from an earlier thought steal. I ran one into annoy-o-tron, next turn he damages my second void caller and uses shadow madness to to kill off both, summoning a Doomguard for me and a stolen Mistress of Pain for him, he puts velen's chosen on it making it a 3/8. Not been able to directly deal with it in my next turn I put down loatheb and go for the face with my Doomguard. What happened next was funny as hell, he drops a soul priest and uses his hero power to damage loatheb and then he uses the Mistress of Pain to finish it off, and like I expected the Mistress of Pains ability did 3 damage instead of healing him because of the soul priest but what I didnt know is that counted as the Mistress of Pain doing damage so she try to heal the priest again but every heal does damage and every damage triggers her effect to heal until it kills the priest.

So far I am loving the warlock cards the most from the expansion, the watchers are amazing and they make having a late game flame imp not suck as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

started playing this yesterady. fun game but as I rank up Im starting to run into stacked decks! any other way around this other than to play?

ok so things starting to look up a bit. I got my mage, priest, Paladin and hunter up to level 10 so I unlocked the basic cards for those classes. Tried a few runs in the arena with the gold you get at the start of the game but did crap enough. I'll look up a guide before I draft in the arena next time :pac:

havn't bought any decks yet but I still seem to be able to beat better (more expensive decks). Currently up to level 17 in ranked so just gonna keep grinding the gold for the next arena run

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JaffOs

ok so things starting to look up a bit. I got my mage, priest, Paladin and hunter up to level 10 so I unlocked the basic cards for those classes. Tried a few runs in the arena with the gold you get at the start of the game but did crap enough. I'll look up a guide before I draft in the arena next time :pac:

havn't bought any decks yet but I still seem to be able to beat better (more expensive decks). Currently up to level 17 in ranked so just gonna keep grinding the gold for the next arena run

Hearthstone has a few hidden achievements that reward you with gold, heres a link http:// hearthstone.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements (cant post direct link so I broke it up)

Theres about 600 gold thats should be not to hard to get as a new player and 95 dust. If you are good at arena and can get 7+ wins fairly consistently then thats the quickest way to grind packs. As for arena, its much more of a minion trading game then constructed so looking up and figuring out with minions provide best value in trading is key, that and making sure you keep a good curve but guides will explain how to do it better.

Also sticking to classes (in constructed) with good basic hard removal and good damage spells like Shaman, Mage can help or going with classes that can rush as well as keep a good board presents like Hunter and Warlocks zoo deck should help until your collection grows. Classes I would personally avoid at the start would be Warrior and Rogue. Paladin and Priest you can make work even if you have small pool of cards but they arent as straight forward to use as the first four I mentioned.

Well I am not sure if that helps, just my opinion on it. I have to say if Tar.Aldarion has the time he can probably give you the best advice on how to best start out or what you should be using.

JaffOs wrote: »
    Got my first GvG moment, was playing a warlock against a priest. I had two void callers on board and he had a stolen annoy-o-tron from an earlier thought steal. I ran one into annoy-o-tron, next turn he damages my second void caller and uses shadow madness to to kill off both, summoning a Doomguard for me and a stolen Mistress of Pain for him, he puts velen's chosen on it making it a 3/8. Not been able to directly deal with it in my next turn I put down loatheb and go for the face with my Doomguard. What happened next was funny as hell, he drops a soul priest and uses his hero power to damage loatheb and then he uses the Mistress of Pain to finish it off, and like I expected the Mistress of Pains ability did 3 damage instead of healing him because of the soul priest but what I didnt know is that counted as the Mistress of Pain doing damage so she try to heal the priest again but every heal does damage and every damage triggers her effect to heal until it kills the priest.

So far I am loving the warlock cards the most from the expansion, the watchers are amazing and they make having a late game flame imp not suck as much.

That's incredibly useful to know. Cheers for that.

And yes Watchers are amazing. For 2 drop you get to draw a card and give it +2/+2 effectively; nicely done.

Bought 7 packs yesterday; pulled Golden Malorne and Golden money lender legendary dude. Hilarious.

Just realised I have 1300 dust :D Going to but 40 packs later, then craft what I need.

I am also seriously considering dusting all my gold cards I dont see as deck staples...anyone actually keeping gold cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just realised I have 1300 dust :D Going to but 40 packs later, then craft what I need.

I am also seriously considering dusting all my gold cards I dont see as deck staples...anyone actually keeping gold cards?

whats the point of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

you hold onto them and hope that that card gets changed at some point - like Tar and his Gadgetzan Auctioneer :p

yep I got 800 dust for that thing. they changed leeroy and I got 3200 dust. I often just hold onto things as sometimes they will change and im not in a rush to get every card right away.

whats the point of them?
    They look pretty! Realistically none, just if you have all the cards you go for those.
    JaffOs wrote: »
    Hearthstone has a few hidden achievements that reward you with gold, heres a link http:// hearthstone.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements (cant post direct link so I broke it up)

Theres about 600 gold thats should be not to hard to get as a new player and 95 dust. If you are good at arena and can get 7+ wins fairly consistently then thats the quickest way to grind packs. As for arena, its much more of a minion trading game then constructed so looking up and figuring out with minions provide best value in trading is key, that and making sure you keep a good curve but guides will explain how to do it better.

Also sticking to classes (in constructed) with good basic hard removal and good damage spells like Shaman, Mage can help or going with classes that can rush as well as keep a good board presents like Hunter and Warlocks zoo deck should help until your collection grows. Classes I would personally avoid at the start would be Warrior and Rogue. Paladin and Priest you can make work even if you have small pool of cards but they arent as straight forward to use as the first four I mentioned.

Well I am not sure if that helps, just my opinion on it. I have to say if Tar.Aldarion has the time he can probably give you the best advice on how to best start out or what you should be using.
    You did great, certainly I would stick to certain classes (that you mention) when you are new. Once you get a handle on the game the easiest way to get to legend for me playing with basic decks was Priest, zoo and mage. Priest is ridiculous, and I won the boards tourney with it, having no right to. You just take their cards :) Stick to these classes due to expensiveness of other decks or difficulty of play. Priest has amazing class cards and can win you control games well, zoo is a cheap deck to make and is highly competitive and used a lot. You don't need epics or legendaries in these decks.

If ye need any help with decks or questions about anything just ask reality. the player Trump has a good series where he gets to legend playing free decks, have a look at these, or any streamer that explains their play. Also now that there is spectate mode people can watch each other to help out.

For arena I advise reading the arena minion ratings guides (again trumps is good and he explains his choices) and understanding why cards are good and bad. And to help you pick you can install software that rates cards for you. The important thing is knowing why and that comes with time. For now I would say focus on your mana curve, make sure you have a good distribution, some 1-2 cost minions are essential and often people lack this early game and don't recover.

More advice for new players is that your life total is not as important to defend at teh start as you think, you don't need a million taunts (they give up value in raw stats) and more often than not trading minions efficiently is better than attacking face.

yep I got 800 dust for that thing. they changed leeroy and I got 3200 dust. I often just hold onto things as sometimes they will change and im not in a rush to get every card right away.

They look pretty! Realistically none, just if you have all the cards you go for those.

You did great, certainly I would stick to certain classes (that you mention) when you are new. Once you get a handle on the game the easiest way to get to legend for me playing with basic decks was Priest, zoo and mage. Priest is ridiculous, and I won the boards tourney with it, having no right to. You just take their cards :) Stick to these classes due to expensiveness of other decks or difficulty of play. Priest has amazing class cards and can win you control games well, zoo is a cheap deck to make and is highly competitive and used a lot. You don't need epics or legendaries in these decks.

If ye need any help with decks or questions about anything just ask reality. the player Trump has a good series where he gets to legend playing free decks, have a look at these, or any streamer that explains their play. Also now that there is spectate mode people can watch each other to help out.

For arena I advise reading the arena minion ratings guides (again trumps is good and he explains his choices) and understanding why cards are good and bad. And to help you pick you can install software that rates cards for you. The important thing is knowing why and that comes with time. For now I would say focus on your mana curve, make sure you have a good distribution, some 1-2 cost minions are essential and often people lack this early game and don't recover.

More advice for new players is that your life total is not as important to defend at teh start as you think, you don't need a million taunts (they give up value in raw stats) and more often than not trading minions efficiently is better than attacking face.

I'm a sucker for foil cards. They are my Kryptonite. I'm sitting on about 2 grand worth of foils from the Star Trek CCG I used play years ago. I took them out to sell them this week but it's so hard :(

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny! And if you got a complete gold deck you (or your enemy) get a gold coin and unlock all gold cards and you get 500 or 1k gold :P

I'm slowly working towards a gold Murloc deck (need to level so many classes to 52+ :( )

• Advertisement

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny! And if you got a complete gold deck you (or your enemy) get a gold coin and unlock all gold cards and you get 500 or 1k gold :P

I'm slowly working towards a gold Murloc deck (need to level so many classes to 52+ :( )

wait...what? Where can I read more about that?

Advertisement