Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

culbaire wrote: »
    You really are a genius to come to that conclusion. Are you suggesting that they should not field at all this year?

Going by your logic it's a waste of money funding the footballers as there not successful (despite winning something this year???)

And by following your logic and the accepted reality the hurlers won't win anything....is it not a leap of faith to say it's a waste of money???

*i actually happen to think the hurlers could surprise a few of they played to there full potential

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    We're struggling to make an impact as a hurling force but, as a small county, we need to focus more than ever on the one game if we want any success.

That is the reality, if we want cups and silverware coming back to Ballybricken or the square in Dungarvan then this is the decision we must take. Pooling what limeted human and financial resoures we have towards bettering ourselves in hurling will help us develop stronger panels that are capable of beating the best in all hurling competitions on a more consistent basis.

This may not be agreeable to some but what good is it watching our teams fail year after year. If it is the taking part that counts then please do so where we are all pulling in the one direction with something tangible to show for our efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Besides putting myself out there about my club and reading the insults aimed towards that club I truly know the history of what we have won and lost down through the years. Yes our PAST was heavily swayed towards football,23 senior titles,but if you would like to go back even further you will see our 7 senior hurling titles on the role of honour. Add to that our 3 senior doubles and being the only club to win every grade from u12 through to senior in both codes you will see we haven't just resurrected our ugly heads in recent times. BUT, you ask any player involved in our senior hurling panel now what they strive for I know the answer you will get and the prestige that comes with winning a decent championship. Don't try to throw rubbish here about winning junior football all Irelands,for god sake hang yer heads in shame about them. EMBARRASSING. There's an intermediate football team in our club and yes we'll fulfill the fixtures but if we were relegated to junior football in the morning would it bother us? Not on your life! Visions of clubs are entitled to change and while proud of our achievements there's only one cup we want to add so as to make it 8 senior titles. And the sooner our county board decide that it needs to follow the kilkenny blueprint the better. Why are they the most successful hurling county in history? Because the only big ball they see down there are the beach balls they blow up before they head to Tramore for the summer months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

There you have it, Dungarvan couldn't be bothered with football, hence nobody should be allowed play it.

Point I made about Junior all-irelands was more that Hurling is in absolutely no way competing with football in terms of funding. I would bet any money that we are football teams are the most under financed in Munster. The Elite are the minority in GAA, the lads that play it at a local and the communities that drive it come first.

The thinking caps are not on at all today, attributing Kilkenny's success down to the fact that there is no football played in the County is incredibly simplistic. As long as their is an interest in football in Waterford it will be played, and the fact there are at least 30 clubs and by extension 1,500 players (at adult level) playing it that says enough to me about the perception of Gaelic Football in Waterford more so than a few on here with grand delusions. Not even scratching the surface there when you consider the juveniles.

There you have it, Dungarvan couldn't be bothered with football, hence nobody should be allowed play it.

Point I made about Junior all-irelands was more that Hurling is in absolutely no way competing with football in terms of funding. I would bet any money that we are football teams are the most under financed in Munster. The Elite are the minority in GAA, the lads that play it at a local and the communities that drive it come first.

The thinking caps are not on at all today, attributing Kilkenny's success down to the fact that there is no football played in the County is incredibly simplistic. As long as their is an interest in football in Waterford it will be played, and the fact there are at least 30 clubs and by extension 1,500 players (at adult level) playing it that says enough to me about the perception of Gaelic Football in Waterford more so than a few on here with grand delusions. Not even scratching the surface there when you consider the juveniles.

Where did I say nobody should not be allowed play it? I missed that somewhere! Oh there is "football" played in kilkenny aswell,well let's say its catered for there! I have no problem with people playing Gaelic football but if,as a county,because of the size/population we have,then we need to concentrate on one. In my opinion that's hurling. And yes it is as simplistic in kilkenny because when you are only concentrating on one,and 99% of the funding is going towards that then eventually results will follow. Why isn't hurling competing for funding with football in this county? How much was spend on our football teams last year? Well over 150k. That could be put to alot better use for hurling purposes while if we still want to enter football teams then start back at junior levels and try to win the lesser all Irelands and that way everyone is happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Picasso100

It's like this....in this year 2015 Waterford are as likely to win the senior football all Ireland as they are to Winn the senior hurling all Ireland IMO

Well done Tom.
    You win the prize for the most ridicioulus comment for the month of March

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So?

Why are they better at us in both codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

hardybuck wrote: »
    Why are they better at us in both codes?

Soccer is not as strong in Clare as in Waterford. Kilkenny has the right approach. Time for Waterford to follow it. It is necessary to focus on hurling big time. Wexford went down the football route. The result: Wexford has played second fiddle to Kilkenny for years.

Soccer as strong iand tradn Clare as in Waterford. Kilkenny has the right approach. Time for Waterford to follow it.

No I'm wondering why they are better at hurling and football with very similar size county.

Waterford would have way more soccer success and tradition, but that is irrelevant to this forum.

No I'm wondering why they are better at hurling and football with very similar size county.

Waterford would have way more soccer success and tradition, but that is irrelevant to this forum.
    Not irrelevant. Soccer reduces GAA playing numbers. Soccer is not as big in Clare as in Waterford. The growth of soccer in Cork as well as the dual player problem is hindering the success of Cork inter-county hurling teams.

• Advertisement

te="culbaire;94670242"]Not irrelevant. Soccer reduces GAA playing numbers. Soccer is not as big in Clare as in Waterford. The growth of soccer in Cork as well as the dual player problem is hindering the success of Cork inter-county hurling teams.[/quote]

Fair enough. In that case, why do we have such inferior competitive structures in GAA locally? Can we not get our act together and organise proper competitions throughout the year, or are people just not bothered?

Is soccer growing in Cork? They've less internationals than us, and their league side went out of business before having a good revival in fairness. How big is soccer outside Cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Shane Bennett is gone from the panel til the championship due to the leaving cert and I saw the fitzgibbon lads out last night so they prob won't feature Sunday. It could be a Waterford b team vs Antrim sunday

We could end up playing Kilkenny in the quarter finals. Do we get a home match in the quarters cause we only played 2 games at home this year ?

te="culbaire;94670242"]Not irrelevant. Soccer reduces GAA playing numbers. Soccer is not as big in Clare as in Waterford. The growth of soccer in Cork as well as the dual player problem is hindering the success of Cork inter-county hurling teams.

Fair enough. In that case, why do we have such inferior competitive structures in GAA locally? Can we not get our act together and organise proper competitions throughout the year, or are people just not bothered?

Is soccer growing in Cork? They've less internationals than us, and their league side went out of business before having a good revival in fairness. How big is soccer outside Cork city?[/QUOTE]
    You are forgetting Junior soccer in Cork. In Waterford some dual players could play at least 30 games a year (both hurling and football). Kilkenny players do not face this problem as they focus just on hurling. Hence they are far more skilful and fresh at inter county level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd like to see a few changes this weekend. Paudi Mahony is clearly tired and needs it off, Gleeson is injured, I'd leave Dillon off too. But I'd be looking at giving Martin O Neill game time, maybe in the second half.

Donie Breathnach should be getting a run this weekend to name one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

The amount of knowledge people have on this forum baffles me at times. I simply don't understand how one can say that due to the size of the county we cannot be competitive against bigger counties. That itself is as bad as McGlinchey saying the ref blew the whistle early. Just because a clearly 2nd string county football u21 team got wacked doesn't mean that the entire infrastructure set up by clubs and the infrastructure set up in the county underage set up by Jackson Kiely, Niall Cronin, Tom and Dick Guiry, Oran Curran, Tim Lenehan and John Browne should all go out the window. At this point we are at the same point in the hurlers and the footballers at senior level to an extent. The County Senior hurlers are clearly unbalanced and anybody can see it. Simply because they won at minor level doesn't mean they should all be on the panel. Kilkenny often win minor all Irelands and roughly I say one or at most two ever graduate yearly into the Senior Panel. And then the word I will say again is PANEL. Not starting. They probably should of kept a few older lads and balanced the experience, but that is not rendered mute. If you look at the team of 07
    1)Hennessey
    2) Murray
    3) D. Perndergast
    4) Murphy
    5) Browne
    6) K. McGrath
    7) Moran
    8) Brick
    9) Molumphy
    10) Kelly
    11) S. Perndergast
    12) Walsh
    13) Mullane
    14) Shanahan
    15) E. McGrath

That team could never win an all Ireland and they were the strongest team ever put out by Waterford, with in all honest opinion and way better manager in Justin McCarthy. The best year was 2007 which probably should of been the year. Now lads on this board, use your head and look at the team last year compared to this team and I say you will nearly say to 100% 13 of 15 on the team listed above would start today in the prime. Compared to when you would try to compared players in Kilkenny 10 years apart it is mute because of the standard. Now the current Waterford team this year wouldn't win Division 1B national league cause Limerick and Wexford are far better. Yes the potential is there and I again repeat the word POTENTIAL. How many teams have fallen to the side who had POTENTIAL.

I again don't see why you need much funding, The footballer minors and hurler minors are receiving the same treatment. Gear bag, Shorts, Socks, jersey at the end of the competition in provincial and all Ireland. They get gym membership for free to either Gold Coast/ Clonea in the west and in East I think its Jimmy Pain. they get food after training and the option to see Physios. No other underages county team will ever receive more than that, yes they will all get strength and conditioning plans and a few session as a group with strength and conditioning coaches. What do you think they get? Free boots, training tops, jackets, Pants? Free Whey Protein? Sport Psychologists? The answer at Minor level is No, all counties receive very little. At senior they will get training tops, psychologists, and jackets and pants. There is very little “funding” needed to make a team competitive. Constantly playing together and constantly working and improved from a young age up is what needs to be done from u14 development squads up til Senior which is why Kilkenny, Cork, Kerry and Dublin have been successful. If you look at this year minors team a lot of lads have either just started reaching their potential and have decided to come onto the panel, even though there good enough and will start playing minor is different to playing u16 development squad. Then you have lack of communication. Decent coaches like what both minor set up have this year will go a long way. You don’t need “funding” cones plenty of balls, lots of running and lots of teamwork/bonding is now teams become successful. Balls and cones aren’t expensive. Its free to run, The county board pays for Carriganore and Gold Coast as the designated training grounds. You don’t need “funding” to bond players. This county doesn’t lack “funding”, for years it lacked infrastructure and a decent system at underage, which has been put in place for this generation in hurling and football. In hind sight it’s as hard if not hard to get onto the county football panel simply because you have to be in better physical shape for football. Hurling you get away with being unfit. If you see the fitness testing for the senior hurlers and footballers over the past decade it shows in volumes how fit you need to be to play football. Football by his generation is no longer viewed as the second sport. Minor football is far moreso played in the West and Hurling is moreso balanced throughout the county.
    Now while I have spoke highly of the footballers chances in minor level I could of told you well in advance after hearing how much little preparation having been done how they were going too far. I predicted probably Clare 1-12 to Waterford 0-08. But I feel one too many Rathgormack Lads were starting. Now Waterford could have had a team to challenge for the u21 football Munster if the team I think listed below was picked. Now I will not include any Seniors Hurlers bar Tom Devine seeing as he played anyway

1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Kieran O’Neill (Brickey Rangers)
    3) Tomas Cooney (The Nire)
    4) Stephen Halley ( Gerdlines)
    5) Jack Mullaney (Stradbally)
    6) Brian Looby (Balinacourty)
    7) Dermot Ryan (The Nire)
    8) Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    9) Seamus Keating (Ardmore)
    10) Michael Curry (Rathgormack)
    11) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    12) Jason Curry (Rathgormack)
    13) Aaron Donnelly (Dungarvan)
    14) Conor Gleeson (The Nire)
    15) Joe Allen (Dungarvan)
    And If I had my way Id play Cormac Curran, play Conor Prunty and Darragh Lyons. I’d Play Curran and Prunty midfield, Drragh Lyons Corner back for Halley, Devine wing forward for Jason Curry, Aaron Donnelly off and push Jason Curry in Corner Forward. But gave a team on the age bar Dwane and Murray whoa are minor yet on the u21 panel.
    So in sum, the talent is in the county, anyone with their hand in a club would see it once the minor year of this year and last year are on the age the team will be lethal. People who say we should give up on football, while entitled to their opinion they are just wrong. I accept their premises but I reject their conclusions because it is Waterford GAA, not Waterford Hurling Club. The point of the GAA was a game of cultural identity to escape British temptations. The idea of constantly wanting to win all Irelands is a good thing but the Olympic motto is Winning isn’t everything but competing is. I suggest you all ask yourselfs do you have pride in your county, that they try at football rather than saying the fast we go down the Kilkenny root the better. Football is widely played throughout Kilkenny and they have aswell improved their underage county set up, there about 10 years behind us. Id rather see this county being a rugby or a soccer county before seeing it just play hurling because if you exclude football you exclude the entire purpose of the GAA and what it represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Is it true that our county senior footballers are allowed to play soccer on a Saturday and play a league games on a Sunday. What about our hurlers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

I'd like to see a few changes this weekend. Paudi Mahony is clearly tired and needs it off, Gleeson is injured, I'd leave Dillon off too. But I'd be looking at giving Martin O Neill game time, maybe in the second half.

Donie Breathnach should be getting a run this weekend to name one.

Agree, Wit lads should be rested. And Stephen Bennett too. Be good to see Maurice get some more game time. And for Stephen Daniels to be introduced at some stage, fitness permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

The amount of knowledge people have on this forum baffles me at times. I simply don't understand how one can say that due to the size of the county we cannot be competitive against bigger counties. That itself is as bad as McGlinchey saying the ref blew the whistle early. Just because a clearly 2nd string county football u21 team got wacked doesn't mean that the entire infrastructure set up by clubs and the infrastructure set up in the county underage set up by Jackson Kiely, Niall Cronin, Tom and Dick Guiry, Oran Curran, Tim Lenehan and John Browne should all go out the window. At this point we are at the same point in the hurlers and the footballers at senior level to an extent. The County Senior hurlers are clearly unbalanced and anybody can see it. Simply because they won at minor level doesn't mean they should all be on the panel. Kilkenny often win minor all Irelands and roughly I say one or at most two ever graduate yearly into the Senior Panel. And then the word I will say again is PANEL. Not starting. They probably should of kept a few older lads and balanced the experience, but that is not rendered mute. If you look at the team of 07
    1)Hennessey
    2) Murray
    3) D. Perndergast
    4) Murphy
    5) Browne
    6) K. McGrath
    7) Moran
    8) Brick
    9) Molumphy
    10) Kelly
    11) S. Perndergast
    12) Walsh
    13) Mullane
    14) Shanahan
    15) E. McGrath

That team could never win an all Ireland and they were the strongest team ever put out by Waterford, with in all honest opinion and way better manager in Justin McCarthy. The best year was 2007 which probably should of been the year. Now lads on this board, use your head and look at the team last year compared to this team and I say you will nearly say to 100% 13 of 15 on the team listed above would start today in the prime. Compared to when you would try to compared players in Kilkenny 10 years apart it is mute because of the standard. Now the current Waterford team this year wouldn't win Division 1B national league cause Limerick and Wexford are far better. Yes the potential is there and I again repeat the word POTENTIAL. How many teams have fallen to the side who had POTENTIAL.

I again don't see why you need much funding, The footballer minors and hurler minors are receiving the same treatment. Gear bag, Shorts, Socks, jersey at the end of the competition in provincial and all Ireland. They get gym membership for free to either Gold Coast/ Clonea in the west and in East I think its Jimmy Pain. they get food after training and the option to see Physios. No other underages county team will ever receive more than that, yes they will all get strength and conditioning plans and a few session as a group with strength and conditioning coaches. What do you think they get? Free boots, training tops, jackets, Pants? Free Whey Protein? Sport Psychologists? The answer at Minor level is No, all counties receive very little. At senior they will get training tops, psychologists, and jackets and pants. There is very little “funding” needed to make a team competitive. Constantly playing together and constantly working and improved from a young age up is what needs to be done from u14 development squads up til Senior which is why Kilkenny, Cork, Kerry and Dublin have been successful. If you look at this year minors team a lot of lads have either just started reaching their potential and have decided to come onto the panel, even though there good enough and will start playing minor is different to playing u16 development squad. Then you have lack of communication. Decent coaches like what both minor set up have this year will go a long way. You don’t need “funding” cones plenty of balls, lots of running and lots of teamwork/bonding is now teams become successful. Balls and cones aren’t expensive. Its free to run, The county board pays for Carriganore and Gold Coast as the designated training grounds. You don’t need “funding” to bond players. This county doesn’t lack “funding”, for years it lacked infrastructure and a decent system at underage, which has been put in place for this generation in hurling and football. In hind sight it’s as hard if not hard to get onto the county football panel simply because you have to be in better physical shape for football. Hurling you get away with being unfit. If you see the fitness testing for the senior hurlers and footballers over the past decade it shows in volumes how fit you need to be to play football. Football by his generation is no longer viewed as the second sport. Minor football is far moreso played in the West and Hurling is moreso balanced throughout the county.
    Now while I have spoke highly of the footballers chances in minor level I could of told you well in advance after hearing how much little preparation having been done how they were going too far. I predicted probably Clare 1-12 to Waterford 0-08. But I feel one too many Rathgormack Lads were starting. Now Waterford could have had a team to challenge for the u21 football Munster if the team I think listed below was picked. Now I will not include any Seniors Hurlers bar Tom Devine seeing as he played anyway

1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Kieran O’Neill (Brickey Rangers)
    3) Tomas Cooney (The Nire)
    4) Stephen Halley ( Gerdlines)
    5) Jack Mullaney (Stradbally)
    6) Brian Looby (Balinacourty)
    7) Dermot Ryan (The Nire)
    8) Tom Devine (Modeligo)
    9) Seamus Keating (Ardmore)
    10) Michael Curry (Rathgormack)
    11) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    12) Jason Curry (Rathgormack)
    13) Aaron Donnelly (Dungarvan)
    14) Conor Gleeson (The Nire)
    15) Joe Allen (Dungarvan)
    And If I had my way Id play Cormac Curran, play Conor Prunty and Darragh Lyons. I’d Play Curran and Prunty midfield, Drragh Lyons Corner back for Halley, Devine wing forward for Jason Curry, Aaron Donnelly off and push Jason Curry in Corner Forward. But gave a team on the age bar Dwane and Murray whoa are minor yet on the u21 panel.
    So in sum, the talent is in the county, anyone with their hand in a club would see it once the minor year of this year and last year are on the age the team will be lethal. People who say we should give up on football, while entitled to their opinion they are just wrong. I accept their premises but I reject their conclusions because it is Waterford GAA, not Waterford Hurling Club. The point of the GAA was a game of cultural identity to escape British temptations. The idea of constantly wanting to win all Irelands is a good thing but the Olympic motto is Winning isn’t everything but competing is. I suggest you all ask yourselfs do you have pride in your county, that they try at football rather than saying the fast we go down the Kilkenny root the better. Football is widely played throughout Kilkenny and they have aswell improved their underage county set up, there about 10 years behind us. Id rather see this county being a rugby or a soccer county before seeing it just play hurling because if you exclude football you exclude the entire purpose of the GAA and what it represents.

I agree with everything you said here - great knowledgable post...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

2007 v 2015

A quick look :

1)Hennessey - Prefer SOKy meself
    2) Murray - Shane Fives or Dara Fives Better
    3) D. Perndergast - de Burca better
    4) Murphy - Noelie better
    5) Browne -
    6) K. McGrath
    7) Moran - Moran now better than Moran that year
    8) Brick
    9) Molumphy - Would prefer Philip Mahony
    10) Kelly -
    11) S. Perndergast - Austin Gleeson is better
    12) Walsh - Paudi Mahony is better
    13) Mullane
    14) Shanahan - Some say Maurice is better
    15) E. McGrath - there is few better now
    So all in all not much in it really

This thing about Kilkenny only taking in one or 2 minors is grand but the only other recent teams to win all ireland in last decade Tipp and Clare relied heavily on excellent minor teams from only 2/3 years prior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Not irrelevant. Soccer reduces GAA playing numbers. Soccer is not as big in Clare as in Waterford. The growth of soccer in Cork as well as the dual player problem is hindering the success of Cork inter-county hurling teams.

A lot of cork problems are long held disputes in the county board in particular with its chairman and a massive under investment in an underage structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

Both Waterford Hurling and Football Teams to play Antrim on Sunday in Walsh Park have been announced tonight.
    Best of luck to all.
    Waterford Hurling Team to play Antrim at 12.45 Sunday in Walsh Park
    1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Shane Fives Tourin
    3. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
    4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Tadhg de Búrca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    6. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    7. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    8. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    10. Kevin Moran (Captain) De La Salle
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    13. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    14. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper
    Waterford Football Team to play Antrim at 2.30pm
    1. Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2. Dean Crowley St. Saviours
    3. Niall Walsh Kilrossanty
    4. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    5. Ray Ó Ceallaigh An Rinn
    6. Liam Lawlor Nire
    7. Thomas O’Gorman (CAPT) Nire
    8. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    9. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    10. J.J. Hutchinson Gaultier
    11. Michael Curry Rathgormack
    12. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    13. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty
    14. Joey Veale Kilrossanty
    15. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Soccer is not as strong in Clare as in Waterford. Kilkenny has the right approach. Time for Waterford to follow it. It is necessary to focus on hurling big time. Wexford went down the football route. The result: Wexford has played second fiddle to Kilkenny for years.

So soccer is now another reason why were not winning all irelands. You seem to be missing the fact that football has already been disregarded in waterford for years. When Pat Flynn came in as co chairman, football in the county was completely pushed to one side. All the eggs were thrown into the hurling basket then as per your idealism.We literally spent every last penny we have (and more) on the senior hurling team. We had probably our best team in 45 years yet still couldnt win an all Ireland. We were completely skint after it and the laughing stock of the country for the next few years.Then Clare come along with a team of young lads. A county similar in size (and puts in more resources than us into football) with the same manager that allegedly broke us and wins an all ireland. Its just been excuse after excuse in Waterford. To say that football has been holding us back well the facts do not back this theory up. People keep referring to the money side of it but i havent seen anyone come on here with the financials of what has actually been spent on football in comparision to the hurlers. Thats because your not interested in the actual facts just your own agenda.
    Fair enough were all starved of success in waterford but your not going to stamp football out. You should go around to every football club in the county and protest and try and get people to sign a 'Stamp out football' peitition and then bring it to the co board. Its better than talking absolute garbage on here. Too many players enjoy playing the game and at the end of the day and their needs are going to be looked after more so than some hurler on the ditch

Next week on "The Toughest Trade":

A group of young Waterford hurlers travel halfway across Europe to Miltown Malbay to play Gaelic Football

So soccer is now another reason why were not winning all irelands. You seem to be missing the fact that football has already been disregarded in waterford for years. When Pat Flynn came in as co chairman, football in the county was completely pushed to one side. All the eggs were thrown into the hurling basket then as per your idealism.We literally spent every last penny we have (and more) on the senior hurling team. We had probably our best team in 45 years yet still couldnt win an all Ireland. We were completely skint after it and the laughing stock of the country for the next few years.Then Clare come along with a team of young lads. A county similar in size (and puts in more resources than us into football) with the same manager that allegedly broke us and wins an all ireland. Its just been excuse after excuse in Waterford. To say that football has been holding us back well the facts do not back this theory up. People keep referring to the money side of it but i havent seen anyone come on here with the financials of what has actually been spent on football in comparision to the hurlers. Thats because your not interested in the actual facts just your own agenda.
    Fair enough were all starved of success in waterford but your not going to stamp football out. You should go around to every football club in the county and protest and try and get people to sign a 'Stamp out football' peitition and then bring it to the co board. Its better than talking absolute garbage on here. Too many players enjoy playing the game and at the end of the day and their needs are going to be looked after more so than some hurler on the ditch

So going by your logic a person must have played the game to be able to express an educated opinion. This has to be the biggest heap of crap I've ever heard! Our sworn enemies over the bridge have as one of their main volunteers a man that never played either codes but yet is as educated in both codes as anyone.i have met him on numerous occasions and his vision for both codes in the county while different to mine are respected all the same.
    Pat Flynn will be remembered as the chairman that brought success to this county,the first bit we tasted since 1959.Maybe not an all Ireland but my god how close we came and more importantly put us back as a major hurling power during that time. If that is regarded as being the laughing stock of the country then it is only you that thinks so. Waterford has been and always will be a hurling county. We had"success" in the McGrath cup this year but where are all the die hard supporters getting behind the team for the league games? I read in an earlier post that we cater for over 1500 players playing football in the county so I'm sure next Sunday in Walsh park these same personnel will be down supporting their heroes against Antrim! Funny how the hurling is fixed as the first game? Oh,and before I'm corrected I haven't forgotten our junior football wins its just that id be embarrassed to include them as success since 1959!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Why are people hammering the football? I Am a hurling man myself and don't go to the footballers games at all but come on - there is a lot of great GAA people in the county giving up their time to promote the game when it is not fashionable or any way successful to do so.
    Fair play to them, they are proper GAA people.

If it was all about winning them we would all after be giving up and Kilkenny and Kerry would be the only ones left at it.

The footballers are up against it enough, lay off them... Some amount of sad people around here if they think they are holding back the hurlers seriously get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Studies have shown that children that specialise in one sport early may in fact be less likely to prosper as athletes than children that played a variety of sports at an early age. For the fully nerdy facts read "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein.

So actually by stopping kids playing other sports like gaelic football and soccer we could end up with worse hurlers!!!

So, very underwhelming team announcement (not talking about footballers). Roughly the same template all along, this time SOS in for Aussie Gleeson (yawn). To me I expect a couple of changes, surely Dunford, maybe Maurice (2-9 in Sargent cup last Sunday)but at least that would liven it up a bit and sell a ticket or two.

I was listening to Skin Ryan on the Radio saying this game is a formality and that Antrim are only preparing for the relagtion play off and are thankful to be in the division.....b****x. A reasonable defeat for the Ulster lads coupled with a win at home to Offaly shud see them in the QF, theyll have to have a go.

You would expect Limerick, looking better with Hannon CB, to put up a score Saturday Night against Offaly but at least we will know the target come Sunday and if we can match the margain it would give us every chance going down to Wexford next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

archieknox wrote: »
    Pat Flynn will be remembered as the chairman that brought success to this county,the first bit we tasted since 1959.Maybe not an all Ireland but my god how close we came and more importantly put us back as a major hurling power during that time. If that is regarded as being the laughing stock of the country then it is only you that thinks so. Waterford has been and always will be a hurling county. We had"success" in the McGrath cup this year but where are all the die hard supporters getting behind the team for the league games? I read in an earlier post that we cater for over 1500 players playing football in the county so I'm sure next Sunday in Walsh park these same personnel will be down supporting their heroes against Antrim! Funny how the hurling is fixed as the first game? Oh,and before I'm corrected I haven't forgotten our junior football wins its just that id be embarrassed to include them as success since 1959!

If you beleive that about pat flynn then your even more deluded than i thought. That mans term as county board chairman was a complete sham. The county is still trying to recover from his stint in charge and struggling to pay back the enormous debts from the colossal amounts of money thrown at the co senior hurling team and bowing down to every demand from davy fitz. The mess was left for poor tom cunningham to try and clean up. It was unfair the abuse was thrown at the man as a result of his predecessors incompetencies. But i can see why you would be a big fan of flynn given his complete disregard and contempt shown to the game of gaelic football. We couldnt finish our co senior championships in time to compete the munster club championships, at a time when stradbally the nire and ballinacourty were as good as any club in munster we had no representatives on more than one occasion. Also when jackson kiely would accept no expenses in his role as co senior football manager flynn told him the job was his for as long as this was the case. What did that say about the man who was pumping obscene amounts of money towards the senior hurling team at the same time. Then to say that flynn brought success to the county. Everyone knows it was pj ryan who helped lift the county out of the dark ages. He brought in gerald and justin mccarthy. Guys with a winning mentality. Something that had been absent in waterford for many years. He went out and publicly urged everyone get behind the county team in 98. Flynn came in during the good times. The celtic tiger was roaring and we had a box office senior hurling team that everyone wanted to pay to watch.
    As for those all ireland junior football wins... well im sorry that success embarrasses you. Might explain the losing mentality in many waterford people over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

deisedude wrote: »
    Studies have shown that children that specialise in one sport early may in fact be less likely to prosper as athletes than children that played a variety of sports at an early age. For the fully nerdy facts read "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein.

Not true, I tried loads of sports as a kid and I was useless at them all:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I'd be very surprised if that's the starting 15 that will line out against Antrim. Surely Shanahan, Dunford, M o Neill and maybe Brathnach should all start against Antrim and give Pauric Mahony a well earned rest. Has McGrath named a team yet that actually lined out as selected? Anyway good luck to the hurlers and footballers this weekend.
    On another note it would be really embarrassing if we went down the Kilkenny route ie. the easy way out and just concentrated on hurling. You cant judge success on all irelands alone. Alot of good men and women have put in their free time promoting football down through the years and this is how some people want to repay them by taking the easy way out and quit playing football. Shame on you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement