Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The reality in the county with the inter county set up is we win the McGrath cup for the first time in 34 years but when the REAL football started in the league we saw our true worth and what level we are exactly at. Great that our club side get to the odd Munster club final and the whole county is supporting them for as long as they're involved but the truth of the matter is,( please don't anyone come out with the excuse of players committing to hurling only,lack of underage structure,funding etc,) we are S**TE at it.
    Dress it up whatever way you want but the sooner we take the Kilkenny route with this the better.
    We couldn't beat Carlow a few weeks back,we go to Longford and we're blaming not enough injury time not being played but what the hell were we doing for the other 70 mins?
    One reporter is on twitter telling us how its a shame that the team are having their meal in Ballykisteen at 11.30pm but what about the performance of scoring 3pts in 60 mins?? I cannot get my head around the fact that we scored 3 pts in 60 mins. 1 score every 20 mins on average. Come on people its time to get real and decide to do something more constructive with the money that was wasted on this sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The comments about puncturing footballs etc. are incredibly ignorant. It's not that long ago we were being beaten by a football county with little or no interest in hurling outside of a couple of pockets. We're average in a minority sport - hurling.

Waterford, and every club in the county, should be taking pride in every single team we put out. Unfortunately a lot of clubs and county board officials coming from this pool of clubs have gotten used to doing this a***ways, and this malaise will never properly be rectified.

The U21 club structure is an absolute joke. A lot of lads will get ONE U21 game per season. The minor, which in fairness has improved since going all county, still offers only about 6 games per season?

Where and how do we expect players to develop within that structure? A minority will step up to county teams for a couple of months and get decent coaching, another few will play on the adult side and maybe get a few more games, but outside of that you're scraping the barrel.

It appears that the county board and the clubs between them aren't that bothered about actually facilitating enough competitive fixtures. In the city lads will just go playing soccer instead as it offers a regular game, not sporadic fixtures about 2-3 months apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Obviously a bad result in the u21 football, but some of the comments are totally ignorant. They lost by 14 points away from home.
    Last year in the u21 hurling we lost to cork by 11 in Walsh park. There was nobody burning hurleys then.
    Football will for the foreseeable future be a minority sport but that means we should push harder to develop it.
    There is no way that football in waterford affects the hurlers ability to win an All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Obviously a bad result in the u21 football, but some of the comments are totally ignorant. They lost by 14 points away from home.
    Last year in the u21 hurling we lost to cork by 11 in Walsh park. There was nobody burning hurleys then.
    Football will for the foreseeable future be a minority sport but that means we should push harder to develop it.
    There is no way that football in waterford affects the hurlers ability to win an All Ireland

It does Kilkenny's chances of winning silverware a lot of good by focusing on hurling which is something that cant be ignored. All clubs within our neighbouring county have hurling as number one and it shows. A county similar in size and population to ourselves can consistently over achieve in hurling while we on the other hand try to do a bit of everything with little success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

It does Kilkenny's chances of winning silverware a lot of good by focusing on hurling which is something that cant be ignored. All clubs within our neighbouring county have hurling as number one and it shows. A county similar in size and population to ourselves can consistently over achieve in hurling while we on the other hand try to do a bit of everything with little success.

The attention played to football in waterford is not costing us a hurling all Ireland, you better believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Clare is not exactly a super power in football is it? The reality is that Waterford as a county is too small to carry strong hurling and football teams. Football in Waterford outside of the centre of the county is soccer football. It will always be thus. Waterford is much closer to success in hurling. Kilkenny is so successful because it focuses on one game-hurling. Waterford should adopt the same approach. it is time to push harder to achieve success at hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

A new forum low I think we've hit here. If people want to play football they are more than entitled too. Put in a huge effort to represent Waterford and this is the respect afforded. I'd like to see the resources actually put into that 21 team, I'd say it wouldn't pay for two weeks Senior hurling training.

Of all the excuses we've had for not winning all-irelands, this has to be the weakest. We didn't even have a Senior football team in the early 2000s as far as I am aware and instead only competed at Junior level, winning one or two all-irelands. We still weren't winning hurling all-irelands then.

If people want to play the sport they should be afforded the opportunity, and there are plenty that do so have a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

culbaire wrote: »
    Clare is not exactly a super power in football is it? The reality is that Waterford as a county is too small to carry strong hurling and football teams. Football in Waterford outside of the centre of the county is soccer football. It will always be thus. Waterford is much closer to success in hurling. Kilkenny is so successful because it focuses on one game-hurling. Waterford should adopt the same approach. it is time to push harder to achieve success at hurling.

You realise that Clare and Waterford are about the same size?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think we should win by at least 5 points on Sunday but Antrim will be good and will give us a good game. I think Limerick will win handy and so will Wexford.

It's the Wexford game I fear that we mite lose

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A new forum low I think we've hit here. If people want to play football they are more than entitled too. Put in a huge effort to represent Waterford and this is the respect afforded. I'd like to see the resources actually put into that 21 team, I'd say it wouldn't pay for two weeks Senior hurling training.

Of all the excuses we've had for not winning all-irelands, this has to be the weakest. We didn't even have a Senior football team in the early 2000s as far as I am aware and instead only competed at Junior level, winning one or two all-irelands. We still weren't winning hurling all-irelands then.

If people want to play the sport they should be afforded the opportunity, and there are plenty that do so have a bit of respect.

Agree entirely. But we did have a senior team throughout the 2000's and have always competed in both the league and championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Given the money spent on the Waterford hurlers, they are serious underachievers and will not win an All Ireland any time soon.

OEP wrote: »
    Given the money spent on the Waterford hurlers, they are serious underachievers and will not win an All Ireland any time soon.
    That may be so. However there is even a far poorer return for the money spent on the footballers.

In one of the Junior All Irelands they defeated Meath. It was actually Meath's third string team. Listening to the media in Waterford there was no mention of that. Meath could only pick from Junior clubs. Waterford was allowed pick from Senior clubs. The Junior Hurling and Junior Football Championships are a farce. Kerry could play its Senior Hurling team in the Junior Hurling Competition. Joke!!

In one of the Junior All Irelands they defeated Meath. It was actually Meath's third string team. Meath could only pick from Junior clubs. Waterford was allowed pick from Senior clubs.

What's your point exactly?

hardybuck wrote: »
    You realise that Clare and Waterford are about the same size?
    So?

Putting it bluntly: Winning a Junior Football or Junior Hurling All Ireland means very little with seniors in one county playing against juniors in another.

Read what I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That may be so. However there is even a far poorer return for the money spent on the footballers.

Being fair....if one was to be horribly pedantic ...we could ask who was last to win any silverware???

Being fair....if one was to be horribly pedantic ...we could ask who was last to win any silverware???
    If you are crowing about winning the McGrath Cup don't mention it in the presence of a Kerry man or woman. They would just laugh at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Bunch of hypocrites is all I see on here. Half of ye never kicked or pucked a ball in anger in yere lives trying to degrade football. Before the senior hurling team really took off in 98 there wasnt much difference between the hurlers and the footballers, but it was mad to see all the people who constantly belittled the gaa county teams to hop on the hurling bandwadon in their blue and white jerseys cheering for 'their team' in 98. Then for dungarvan supporter to come on here and lecture us that football that its only a waste of time etc. It wasnt long ago dungarvan were one of the few main football clubs, winning the county was it 3 in a row in the early 90s while there was shockingly poor efforts made towards hurling in the town. It was only when a cappoquin man pat curran came to the cbs primary school that the underage structures started to change in relation to hurling and every kid the came through the school gates was introduced to a hurley, and the town of its size has finally started to realise its potential.In fact it was as recently as 08 that dungarvan very nearly went down junior. Only beating ballysaggart in a relegation olay off final. God that would have been embarrassing for the master preachers on here. Short memories is all i say

• Advertisement

If you are crowing about winning the McGrath Cup don't mention it in the presence of a Kerry man or woman. They would just laugh at you.

Will you relax tis only a bit of banter

Bunch of hypocrites is all I see on here. Half of ye never kicked or pucked a ball in anger in yere lives trying to degrade football. Before the senior hurling team really took off in 98 there wasnt much difference between the hurlers and the footballers, but it was mad to see all the people who constantly belittled the gaa county teams to hop on the hurling bandwadon in their blue and white jerseys cheering for 'their team' in 98. Then for dungarvan supporter to come on here and lecture us that football that its only a waste of time etc. It wasnt long ago dungarvan were one of the few main football clubs, winning the county was it 3 in a row in the early 90s while there was shockingly poor efforts made towards hurling in the town. It was only when a cappoquin man pat curran came to the cbs primary school that the underage structures started to change in relation to hurling and every kid the came through the school gates was introduced to a hurley, and the town of its size has finally started to realise its potential.In fact it was as recently as 08 that dungarvan very nearly went down junior. Only beating ballysaggart in a relegation olay off final. God that would have been embarrassing for the master preachers on here. Short memories is all i say
    How do you know who actually played hurling and football?

Putting it bluntly: Winning a Junior Football or Junior Hurling All Ireland means very little with seniors in one county playing against juniors in another.

Have you asked any of the players or their families what it meant to them? Or tried to tell them they achieved nothing?

Football is not holding back hurling in this County. It's laughable that anyone holds that notion.

Will you relax tis only a bit of banter
    Yes #waterfordforsam

It's like this....in this year 2015 Waterford are as likely to win the senior football all Ireland as they are to Winn the senior hurling all Ireland IMO

Have you asked any of the players or their families what it meant to them? Or tried to tell them they achieved nothing?

Football is not holding back hurling in this County. It's laughable that anyone holds that notion.
    I beg to differ with you. Speaking two former great Cork hurlers recently, they were in no doubt that football has damaged hurling in Cork. They are right. I regularly attend Cork Hurling matches. It is laughable to look at the decline in skill levels. The same problem arises in dual clubs in Waterford. Players are endeavouring to play hurling and football at a high level. The two games are as different as chalk and cheese. Kilkenny players have higher skill levels because they concentrate on hurling.

Re the first point: It is not for me to tell players that they have achieved nothing. However often absent from a discussion in Waterford is a critical analysis.

It's like this....in this year 2015 Waterford are as likely to win the senior football all Ireland as they are to Winn the senior hurling all Ireland IMO

We mightened be too far away to be fair tom. Things have improved this year and kk or tipp arent as atrong as they were a few years back Its wide open this year and will be for a few years to come

You really are a genius to come to that conclusion. Are you suggesting that they should not field at all this year?

We mightened be too far away to be fair tom. Things have improved this year and kk or tipp arent as atrong as they were a few years back Its wide open this year and will be for a few years to come
    I agree we're coming on leaps and bounds....but I do think we should wait until league quarter finals before we get on ahead of ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Some ****e being spouted about football on here lately. If anyone needed any reminder of the interest in football in the county, take your pick from the U21 result in Clare or else take a look at the crowd walking out after the hurling is over next Sunday in the Sportsfield.

I have respect for anyone and everyone who wears the county shirt, hurling or football, but dont try to tell me that there is interest or potential in Waterford football. We're struggling to make an impact as a hurling force but, as a small county, we need to focus more than ever the one game if we want any success.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement