Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Twould be nice, if they draw even we should be sorted as our scoring difference would be far superior to the other two.
    Are Laois at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

carter10 wrote: »
    Are Laois at home?

They are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's a fantastic result for Offaly, fair play to them. It makes our win over them last week a little bit impressive but to be fair (and I know it's probably a little harsh) but that's prob Offaly's big game of their year out of their system and it just happened to be Limerick who fell victim.

It doesn't really change a whole lot for us, we still need to win our last two games and if anything, it nearly makes it more difficult as we'll have to go to Wexford in a winner takes all match. Pity we didn't get that extra home game but home and away doesn't seem to count for much in the league.
    Laois getting something from Wexford would be some job but it looks like it's going to be a huge one Sunday week, can't wait!

Tom Devine definitely not starting tomorrow, played the first half for the u21s today http://alltheyoungblues.ie/2015/03/14/strong-showing-from-waterford-u-21-hurling-selection-against-cappoquin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Cake Man wrote: »
    That's a fantastic result for Offaly, fair play to them. It makes our win over them last week a little bit impressive but to be fair (and I know it's probably a little harsh) but that's prob Offaly's big game of their year out of their system and it just happened to be Limerick who fell victim.

It doesn't really change a whole lot for us, we still need to win our last two games and if anything, it nearly makes it more difficult as we'll have to go to Wexford in a winner takes all match. Pity we didn't get that extra home game but home and away doesn't seem to count for much in the league.
    Laois getting something from Wexford would be some job but it looks like it's going to be a huge one Sunday week, can't wait!

At least it rules limerick out though, so provided we win tomorrow we just have to beat Wexford. Before we would have had to beat Wexford and hope limerick didn't put up any big scores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

hardybuck wrote: »
    There are no players in Dublin playing 50 matches a year in serious competition. Dublin has a population of 1 million+
    Kilkenny has shown how to do it? How many Senior Hurling All Ireland's has Dublin won in the last 50 years? The Dublin senior football management will not allow panelists to play with the Dublin senior hurling team.
    There is never a word about that in the media. But the media is never slow to have a go at Waterford or Clare.

There are players playing in the region of 40-50 certainly in senior league and championship challenging teams. Hurling and football league on alternate weekends. Some cup and championship games thrown in.

Dublin has 12 football divisions and 9 in hurling. Pretty much every team has a guarantee of 15 games before cups or championship is even factored in.

There would be nothing stopping Waterford aiming for a smaller scale version of that. Would a senior player be guaranteed maybe 10 games at a push currently, and a junior player maybe a minimum of 5?[/QUOTE]
    I note that you failed to refer to the Dublin football management policy on dual players. Note how RTE will never take that up. It is not slow to have a go at Davy Fitz. Most Dublin players are within easy reach of venues for league matches. City clubs also have larger numbers. Many of the younger Waterford players are away at college during weekdays. Clubs would not be able in many cases to field in too many league matches. They just don't have the numbers. Then throw in injuries, work on farms.. Too may of our young players in Waterford fail to fulfill their potential at adult level because of burn out. In addition too much gym work is harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Stephen O'Keeffe
    Shane Fives
    Barry Coghlan
    Noel Connors
    Philip Mahony
    Tadgh De Burca
    Kevin Moran
    Martin O'Neill
    Jamie Barron
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie Mahony
    Brick Walsh
    Brian O Halloran
    Stephen Bennett
    Colin Dunford

Thats team i reckon will start

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Stephen O'Keeffe
    Shane Fives
    Barry Coghlan
    Noel Connors
    Philip Mahony
    Tadgh De Burca
    Kevin Moran
    Martin O'Neill
    Jamie Barron
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie Mahony
    Brick Walsh
    Brian O Halloran
    Stephen Bennett
    Colin Dunford

Thats team i reckon will start

Hows Stepehn Bennet going these days, is he fully fit yet or is the hip still an issue for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Tom Devine definitely not starting tomorrow, played the first half for the u21s today

Shows are out of their depth Cappoquin are. In comparison to the other clubs v U21 results

Shows are out of their depth Cappoquin are. In comparison to the other clubs v U21 results

Did any of the Murrays play? What's the story with the father Fintan is he still gone as manager?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Did any of the Murrays play? What's the story with the father Fintan is he still gone as manager?

No idea

I have to say, I think starting Mahony is really bad management.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

None of the Murray's played.

I had said on here before that a secret meeting had taken place with a few players and my source for that was basically gossip around the town, I've since been told that didn't happen by people more involved with the club.

Some people are hoping they will come back and others think there is no hope, as of yet they haven't transferred and as far as I'm aware, nothing is stopping them.

I have to say, I think starting Mahony is really bad management.

I agree he should be rested today with Martin O'Neill starting midfield he is well able to take over frees and if needed bring Mahony on. Without being ignorant we really should be beating Antrim at home no excuse at all i don't care what happened Limerick that's not our problem. We should focus on getting today out of the way and have a refreshed team for Wexford who will fancy their chances now. Today i hope to see lads like Gavin O'Brien,Shane McNulty & Maurice getting a good half into them to try keep team fresh.

If we cant beat Antrim we should put a match to all the Sliotars in the county and concentrate on the Rugby #joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

SkipFC wrote: »
    None of the Murray's played.

I had said on here before that a secret meeting had taken place with a few players and my source for that was basically gossip around the town, I've since been told that didn't happen by people more involved with the club.

Some people are hoping they will come back and others think there is no hope, as of yet they haven't transferred and as far as I'm aware, nothing is stopping them.

Its too late to transfer to another club for this season anyway. Dont know if they could transfer outside the county. But it really is a sorry state of affairs if 3 younglads would rather not hurl at all than hurl for their own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iggy, o neill, dunford and Stephen Bennett start for o keeffe, o Sullivan, devine and kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Half time, Waterford 1-13 0-05 Antrim

4-30 to 0-10 full time

We don't need to worry about score difference after that anyway. Good to see Maurice back as well.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Shane Bennett is gone from the panel til the championship due to the leaving cert and I saw the fitzgibbon lads out last night so they prob won't feature Sunday. It could be a Waterford b team vs Antrim sunday

We could end up playing Kilkenny in the quarter finals. Do we get a home match in the quarters cause we only played 2 games at home this year ?

We struggled to get through that game today. Do you think we should drop Paudie Mahony maybe for the game down in Wexico??

• Advertisement

Laois 0-19 Wexford 3-14 with 46 mins played, we should be beating them tequila swinging, sombrero wearing Wexicans anyway but we might not need to if Laois keep at it.

Wexford well ahead of laois now. 5-18 0-22

We struggled to get through that game today. Do you think we should drop Paudie Mahony maybe for the game down in Wexico??

I'm sure he thinks we may as well not even head down there for the match considering the hiding we are likely to get

4-24 scored from play today. Impressive regardless of opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

That equals our best ever wins in the League. We beat Louth by 6-24 to 2-4 in November 1985 and Laois by 7-18 to 1-4 in November 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Great to see Stevie bennett and Maurice Shanahan back in contention. Not easy decision for management to pick starting 6 forwards for championship from Mahoney, Shanahan, Brick, Dillion, Dunford, O' Halloran, Shane and Stevie Bennett. Wexford game should be a cracker!!

Unless Tadhg Bourke or maybe Philip Mahony go full back, I'm scratching my head as to how we are going to fit everyone in when Maurice Shanahan, Darragh Fives and Austin Gleeson are all back fit enough to start if everybody else is available. Good problem, the forward line looks like the best we've had since 2010 and even then arguably a better balance. Looking at a potential team and the age profile:

Stephen O Keeffe 24
    Shane Fives 26
    Barry Coughlan 26
    Noel Connors 25
    Austin Gleeson 20
    Tadhg Bourke 21
    Philip Mahony 24
    Kevin Moran 29
    Jamie Barron 22
    Brick 32
    Paudi Mahony 23
    Maurice Shanahan 25
    Dunford 21
    Stephen Bennett 20
    Brian O Halloran 24

Average age: 24

It's definitely a team that will improve and I know there'll be players through out the year like Bennett who'll actually only be 19 during the championship but it's a strong team. Will they be able to match the physicality of Kilkenny, Tipp and Limerick come championship would be the biggest question mark but certainly promising.

The litmus test for Coughlan will be McDonald next weekend, he hasn't been tested yet. Darragh Fives isn't even in the team I have down, but if he is fit he will have to be as he is one of the best hurlers in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Unless Tadhg Bourke or maybe Philip Mahony go full back, I'm scratching my head as to how we are going to fit everyone in when Maurice Shanahan, Darragh Fives and Austin Gleeson are all back fit enough to start if everybody else is available. Good problem, the forward line looks like the best we've had since 2010 and even then arguably a better balance. Looking at a potential team and the age profile:

Stephen O Keeffe 24
    Shane Fives 26
    Barry Coughlan 26
    Noel Connors 25
    Austin Gleeson 20
    Tadhg Bourke 21
    Philip Mahony 24
    Kevin Moran 29
    Jamie Barron 22
    Brick 32
    Paudi Mahony 23
    Maurice Shanahan 25
    Dunford 21
    Stephen Bennett 20
    Brian O Halloran 24

Average age: 24

It's definitely a team that will improve and I know there'll be players through out the year like Bennett who'll actually only be 19 during the championship but it's a strong team. Will they be able to match the physicality of Kilkenny, Tipp and Limerick come championship would be the biggest question mark but certainly promising.

The litmus test for Coughlan will be McDonald next weekend, he hasn't been tested yet. Darragh Fives isn't even in the team I have down, but if he is fit he will have to be as he is one of the best hurlers in Waterford.

Would like to see that team but with Philip Mahony full back and a fit D. Fives wing back.

Deise189 wrote: »
    Would like to see that team but with Philip Mahony full back and a fit D. Fives wing back.

Yeah would be thinking the exact same if Coughlan doesn't work out. Fives has a lot of hurling and himself and Gleeson as wing backs would be great auxiliary support for midfield and would be very commanding. Mahony would be more defensive and so might be better to mind the house. Still though, Coughlan hassn't done much wrong so far this year so deserves his chance next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I'm thinking now that maybe Moran should stay wing back and Aussie go to midfield when back from injury. If he's going on long solo runs i'd rather he do it from midfield than from halfback line, where he might leave our backline exposed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement