Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 4-30 Antrim 0-10

Waterford sauntered to the easiest of victories against poor Antrim opposition in Walsh Park today. Although last night’s shock result in Limerick meant that scoring difference became irrelevant for next Sunday’s showdown with Wexford, Waterford still put up one of the highest scores and biggest winning margins ever achieved by them at senior intercounty level. Wexford have also posted big scores in their last two games, including plenty of goals, so the challenge they pose will be on a different level from anything Waterford have had to deal with in their previous three games.

On a fine but cold afternoon, Antrim had first use of the stiff breeze blowing towards the country goal, and dominated the early exchanges playing some well-drilled hurling and winning a lot of ball in the midfield area. However, once Waterford got out of second gear the tide turned against the visitors, eventually becoming a flood as the home side scored as they pleased in the second half.

Stephen Bennett, making his first competitive start for Waterford, got his team in the mood when he blasted to the Antrim net midway through the first half following good work by Colin Dunford. Earlier, a good stop by the Antrim goalie kept another Bennett rasper out. Bennett then followed up with a couple of sublime points from out on the left. At halftime Waterford were 1-13 to 0-5 ahead and, with wind assistance to come in the second half, the game was as good as over at that stage.

Waterford assumed complete control all over the pitch after the restart and did their bit to prevent the scoreboard operator from getting frostbite, as the points total rose remorselessly. A series of substitutions meant no respite for the visitors, with Maurice Shanahan in particular wreaking terrible destruction as he ran up 2-5 from play during the 20 minutes or so he spent on the pitch. Despite how easy things were going, Waterford kept up a commendable workrate, as the Antrim short-passing game repeatedly came unstuck.

In a way, it was possibly unfortunate that Waterford, for the third game in a row, did not get a decent challenge coming up to the big game in Wexford Park next week. Virtually the entire team, including substitutes, can feel at least reasonably happy with their performances, but they will know that they were never put under the kind of serious pressure. Iggy Regan got no shot to save in goal while the fullback line completely snuffed out their opposite numbers, with Noel Connors again giving a master class in the left corner.

The half back line were also in total control, with Tadhg de Búrca my man of the match at centre back. Up front, apart from Stephen Bennett’s excellent showing in the first half and Maurice Shanahan’s late blitz, Pauric Mahony landed five points from play in addition to six converted frees, while Jake Dillon also put in a hardworking shift. Colin Dunford was very effective operating in a free role in the first half, but the game seemed to pass him by when moved to left corner forward after the change of ends. By contrast, after a quiet enough first half, Brick Walsh became a dominant figure in the second half, notching what was, for him, an unusually large scoring tally of 0-3. Tom Devine also made a significant contribution when introduced.

Waterford: Iggy O’Regan; Shane Fives; Barry Coughlan; Noel Connors; Philip Mahony; Tadhg de Búrca; Kevin Moran (0-1); Jamie Barron; Martin O’Neill; Colin Dunford (0-1); Pauric Mahony (0-11, six frees); Brick Walsh (0-3); Brian O’Halloran; Jake Dillon (0-2); Stephen Bennett (1-4).

Substitutes: Shane O’Sullivan (0-1) for O’Neill; Maurice Shanahan (2-5) for O’Halloran; Paudie Prendergast (0-2) for Kevin Moran; Tom Devine (1-0) for Bennett; Shane McNulty for Connors.

Other players named in programme: Stephen O’Keeffe; Michael Kearney; Gavin O’Brien; Shane Bennett; Thomas Connors; Donie Breathnach.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

KevIRL wrote: »
    4-24 scored from play today. Impressive regardless of opposition
    was working today ,finished and went to see my mother for the day that was in it ,she is 80 and was listening to it on the radio, she wanted to know were they playing children ,ENOUGH SAID ,regardless of opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 38,072 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good performance today next weekend wexford have the home advantage and will be up for the game. I'd say the Waterford management aren't concerned about promotion anyway

We will play either Galway or Dublin in the quarter finals, I think we get the home draw because we only played 2 home games. That will be a tough game

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

4-24 from play will always be impressive. I think we finally have a decent forward line with plenty of options starting to form. It's going to be very hard to pick who to start come championship. I was always critical of playing the Brick in the forwards but he is beginning to show some good instinct up there. He`s finally beginning to take a few shots at goal as well and that was reflected in his 3 well deserved points. One of which was a screamer - running away from goal and over his left shoulder it would remind you of Mullane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Good performance today but I think Wexford will win next weekend , they have the home advantage and will be up for the game. I'd say the Waterford management aren't concerned about promotion

We will play either Galway or Dublin in the quarter finals, I think we get the home draw because we only played 2 home games. That will be a tough game

What? Sure we will be up for the game too. Have a look at all games played in 1A and 1B this season and you'll see there nearly the same amount of home wins as away wins, this has been a trend throughout the last few seasons. Offaly beat Lk in Lk, Gal beat KK in KK, Tipp beat Clare in Clare, Cork by Dub in Croker -conclusion: home adv doesn't really count for much. Have a bit of faith ffs. And why would mgmt not be interested in promotion when that was the objective from the outset and it's in our hands to do so now? I'd see it as a great start to the season if we get promoted.

At least the next two games we get will get good workouts and we'll know where we stand. Who would people want in the quarters? Looks like Galway or Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

It was a case of job done today,no more no less. Impressive that our score difference is +16 but at the end of the day will count for nothing.
    As regards being spoiled for choice in the forwards it is easy enough to select. Maurice Shanahan has to start and possibly Austin Gleeson can push up to wing forward with O Halloran and Dillon making way(Hell will freeze over before the latter is dropped!)
    The next two weeks will show us where we're exactly at. We've drawn with Limerick and beaten 3 very inept sides so I'm presuming Wexford on their own patch will be a different prospect. If we do get Dublin or Galway at home we will have nothing to fear against either of them. Both have poor records against us in Walsh park.
    A tentative thumbs up at the moment but it will be reviewed again in 2 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Good performance today next weekend wexford have the home advantage and will be up for the game. I'd say the Waterford management aren't concerned about promotion anyway

I doubt the management are concerned but i bet the players will be.

i didnt even mind too much getting knocked out by wexford,we were poor lastyear and i wanted them to do well. they chumped their way out of the championship.the and i think players remember that.

backs are up,and we have a chance to stuff the tea that knocked us out last year,you'd be mad to think the players dont want to teach them a lesson .

anyone at the league game vs kk in 09 ? never seen such a performance in a league game we beat kk by 4 points, maybe not the same intensity but i expect a backlash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

archieknox wrote: »
    It was a case of job done today,no more no less. Impressive that our score difference is +16 but at the end of the day will count for nothing.
    As regards being spoiled for choice in the forwards it is easy enough to select. Maurice Shanahan has to start and possibly Austin Gleeson can push up to wing forward with O Halloran and Dillon making way(Hell will freeze over before the latter is dropped!)
    The next two weeks will show us where we're exactly at. We've drawn with Limerick and beaten 3 very inept sides so I'm presuming Wexford on their own patch will be a different prospect. If we do get Dublin or Galway at home we will have nothing to fear against either of them. Both have poor records against us in Walsh park.
    A tentative thumbs up at the moment but it will be reviewed again in 2 weeks time!

Our score difference is +51. Can't agree on O Halloran either, Dillon playing well too so is in contention. I would have been in favour of moving Gleeson up but if Maurice is able to come back Id be happy with a half forward line of Maurice, Mahony, Brick. If you move Gleeson somebody has to go corner forward and it becomes unbalanced.

Also PTH said we are playing Dublin or Galway, but if Dublin win, Tipp lose and we lose we will face Tipp and there will be a toss for venue as both teams have had 2 home games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Pretty sure it could also happen that we play Clare or Cork, depending on different results..
    We wont really know our Q/F pairing until after all the games Sunday

Ah well either way we'll get a good tough game off any of those teams.

It really goes to show how much of a minefield 1A is that KK are likely to be in a relegation dogfight with Clare The last 2 years AI champs battling to avoid 1B, it'd be some laugh if KK go down but I think they'll pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ah well either way we'll get a good tough game off any of those teams.

It really goes to show how much of a minefield 1A is that KK are likely to be in a relegation dogfight with Clare The last 2 years AI champs battling to avoid 1B, it'd be some laugh if KK go down but I think they'll pull through.

You could potentially have kerry and kilkenny in the same division in hurling next year! Really highlights the flaws of the current league system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

I will be reserving judgement on how we are going for a few months.

Limerick were not taking the league very seriously this year, I am starting to think they are happy to plod along in 1B with two eyes firmly focussed on the championship, it has worked for them the last few years, look at their results, a draw with us, a tight game with Antrim and a loss to Offaly - I wouldnt take much notice of our draw with them.

the other three teams we have played have been of a low standard and we have learned nothing from them, we could have played without a ful back line and goalie against Laois and presumably the same could be said for yesterday.

Basically our first real test of the league will be against Wexford - a team like ourselves ranked just outside the top table hungry to have a strong league and championship (I would consider Limerick to a top ranking team not taking the league serious at all).

Look we are motoring well, alot of players seem to be coming back to from or establishing themselves, but they havent come near having a test yet - i am still very positive about our prospects, but still going to hold off judgement!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Anyone have an injury update on D.Fives. I think its essential his fit and starting come championship and if we want to progress far. He is a real talent, young and experienced.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Pretty sure it could also happen that we play Clare or Cork, depending on different results..
    We wont really know our Q/F pairing until after all the games Sunday

Cork cant finish below second, they have beaten both Dublin and Galway. We basically can't either as we've a ton in hand on scoring v limerick. We could play Clare if we win, Dublin lose and Clare win. Expect at least one of those things not to happen as that would be three away wins this weekend.

Cork cant finish below second, they have beaten both Dublin and Galway. We basically can't either as we've a ton in hand on scoring v limerick. We could play Clare if we win, Dublin lose and Clare win. Expect at least one of those things not to happen as that would be three away wins this weekend.

Well if we finish second in the table(by losing to Wexford) , or if Dublin/Galway draw next week and Cork lose, and yea thats the Clare sequence..

Theyre a bit mad the things that might have to happen, but tbh the league is often a bit mad.
    Im not gonna try guess who we're playing until 4pm Sunday anyway :pac:

deise_girl wrote: »
    Well if we finish second in the table(by losing to Wexford) , or if Dublin/Galway draw next week and Cork lose, and yea thats the Clare sequence..

Theyre a bit mad the things that might have to happen, but tbh the league is often a bit mad.
    Im not gonna try guess who we're playing until 4pm Sunday anyway :pac:

But then Cork would have 6 and both those teams 5?

But then Cork would have 6 and both those teams 5?

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

You could potentially have kerry and kilkenny in the same division in hurling next year! Really highlights the flaws of the current league system

It doesn't really, it just highlights how few good hurling counties there are. Whoever comes up from 2a does so because they earned it and the same with relegation from 1a. The system is most against the weaker counties in reality. The team that finsishes bottom of 1b has multiple chances to avoid relegation. Offaly should really be in 2a this year. I can't remember who got screwed over last year from 2a; was it Kerry actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

redlead wrote: »
    It doesn't really, it just highlights how few good hurling counties there are. Whoever comes up from 2a does so because they earned it and the same with relegation from 1a. The system is most against the weaker counties in reality. The team that finsishes bottom of 1b has multiple chances to avoid relegation. Offaly should really be in 2a this year. I can't remember who got screwed over last year from 2a; was it Kerry actually?

Yeah Kerry should be and deserve to be in 1B this year. So much for promoting hurling in the weaker counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A league system that has the performing teams promoted and the underperforming teams relegated. No other sport would allow it!

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    A league system that has the performing teams promoted and the underperforming teams relegated. No other sport would allow it!

I just beleive it should be 8 teams division 1 and divison 2. Like the football. With one team relegated and promoted. The gap between the hurling counties is too wide. Plus it gives more games which is essentially what the counties want

More games is good I suppose but if it was top 8 in Div. 1, some might say we would be outside the top 8! It would have to be 8 from 9 (KK, Tipp, Cork, Dub, Gal, Clare, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford), somebody there would have to lose out and spend a league season having turkey shoots against the likes of Antrim, Laois, Kerry etc, your most competitive game would be against Offaly.
    How would you format the knock outs then, maybe top 4 into semi finals?

I liked how it was around 05, 06 if I recall correctly. Two evenly matched groups with the top from each going straight into seperate semis and 2nd and 3rd from each group going into quarters.
    So one group could be KK, Cork, Gal, Wx, Off, Antrim. Second group of Tipp, Dub, Clare, Lk, Waterford, Laois. So you get a few handy games and tight games.
    1A as it is now is great but as I mentioned before its a minefield with every game being do or die which can prevent managers trying out new faces.

Cake Man wrote: »
    More games is good I suppose but if it was top 8 in Div. 1, some might say we would be outside the top 8! It would have to be 8 from 9 (KK, Tipp, Cork, Dub, Gal, Clare, Limerick, Wexford, Waterford), somebody there would have to lose out and spend a league season having turkey shoots against the likes of Antrim, Laois, Kerry etc, your most competitive game would be against Offaly.
    How would you format the knock outs then, maybe top 4 into semi finals?

I liked how it was around 05, 06 if I recall correctly. Two evenly matched groups with the top from each going straight into seperate semis and 2nd and 3rd from each group going into quarters.
    So one group could be KK, Cork, Gal, Wx, Off, Antrim. Second group of Tipp, Dub, Clare, Lk, Waterford, Laois. So you get a few handy games and tight games.
    1A as it is now is great but as I mentioned before its a minefield with every game being do or die which can prevent managers trying out new faces.

Exactly. Division 1a is actually nearly too competitive if that makes sense. We were better off coming down. Less high pressure games and more of a chance to play with a bit of freedom and let the young lads grow in confidence aswell. But I see what you say about the top 9, one of them with 7 easy games in division 2 wouldn’t benefit anyone either. Hard to know what is best really

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

You get the best of both worlds in 1b. Some tough games and some games you can experiment with 2/3 players and still be confident of a win. Then after all that you get to play the top teams in 1a. Just look at Kilkenny and Clare they're falling over each other trying to get down here and Limerick are like a bad smell that just won't leave. I won't be shedding any tears if Wexford win next weekend. Performance is more important than result.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Wexford just favourites for Sunday. 10/11 Waterford evens.

Draw is 9 to 1, could be worth a few Euros.

Does anyone know if this game is televised or on GAA GO?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Exactly. Division 1a is actually nearly too competitive if that makes sense. We were better off coming down. Less high pressure games and more of a chance to play with a bit of freedom and let the young lads grow in confidence aswell. But I see what you say about the top 9, one of them with 7 easy games in division 2 wouldn’t benefit anyone either. Hard to know what is best really
    well i heard it all now Div 1a too competitive ,would you rather being able to play KK in Walsh Park ,like Tipp done on sunday and absolutely beat them out the gate not only on the score board but physically as well ,or pussy about hammering Antrim and that is the reason why in essence we win **** all,it has to be Div 1a where you play the top teams ,,as for growing in confidence utter crap ,you pick a panel of players that you KNOW can preform not given them a game to showboat in against crap teams ,,the fact that Brick got 3 points from play tells you all you need to know about the opposition ,also to you think there was any real damage done to those young KK lads after that beating on sunday ,Answer being not on your life ,Div 1a too competitive FFS

well i heard it all now Div 1a too competitive ,would you rather being able to play KK in Walsh Park ,like Tipp done on sunday and absolutely beat them out the gate not only on the score board but physically as well ,or pussy about hammering Antrim and that is the reason why in essence we win **** all,it has to be Div 1a where you play the top teams ,,as for growing in confidence utter crap ,you pick a panel of players that you KNOW can preform not given them a game to showboat in against crap teams ,,the fact that Brick got 3 points from play tells you all you need to know about the opposition ,also to you think there was any real damage done to those young KK lads after that beating on sunday ,Answer being not on your life ,Div 1a too competitive FFS

Im not even going to try and attempt to engage in a civilised debate with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

We do want to be in 1a though, we've butchered every team we've played bar limerick. Although its good for confidence and moral we're not learning anything and it's going to be a big step up to play any of the 1a teams.

Its the equivalent of New Zealand, Australia and South Africa bludgeoning each other in whatever the tri nations is called these days and then coming up here for a cake walk over teams used to playing Italy and Scotland. We have to play the best to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Ropaire wrote: »
    We do want to be in 1a though, we've butchered every team we've played bar limerick. Although its good for confidence and moral we're not learning anything and it's going to be a big step up to play any of the 1a teams.

Its the equivalent of New Zealand, Australia and South Africa bludgeoning each other in whatever the tri nations is called these days and then coming up here for a cake walk over teams used to playing Italy and Scotland. We have to play the best to be the best.

Not a great comparison if you look at the most recent Autumn series where most were tight games and the final score was 5-4 to the teams used to playing Italy and Scotland !

England 21-24 New Zealand at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    Wales 28-33 Australia at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm
    Ireland 29-15 South Africa at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 5:30pm
    England 28-31 South Africa at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    France 29-26 Australia at Stade de France, Paris 8:00pm (GMT)
    Ireland 26-23 Australia at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 4:30pm
    Wales 16-34 New Zealand at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 5:30pm
    England 26-17 Australia at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    Wales 12-6 South Africa at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Not a great comparison if you look at the most recent Autumn series where most were tight games and the final score was 5-4 to the teams used to playing Italy and Scotland !

England 21-24 New Zealand at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    Wales 28-33 Australia at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm
    Ireland 29-15 South Africa at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 5:30pm
    England 28-31 South Africa at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    France 29-26 Australia at Stade de France, Paris 8:00pm (GMT)
    Ireland 26-23 Australia at Aviva Stadium, Dublin 4:30pm
    Wales 16-34 New Zealand at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 5:30pm
    England 26-17 Australia at Twickenham Stadium, London 2:30pm
    Wales 12-6 South Africa at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 2:30pm

Well historically they've killed all before them. How about last years hurling quarter finals for a more direct view of how 1b teams do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement