Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Really , Someone has to explain why tadgh de burca is not playing u 21 football?, let's penalise him by forcing him to play, and then talk about burnout like anyone bar the player gives a ****, He's not playing U-21 football for Waterford, cos it would be a complete waste of his time, there i said it, i mean are we really serious here, hes playing currently on about 5/6 teams and lets throw another onto that pot. I get that football is important, even in the small pockets of the county where it is the no 1 sport they could answer the above question, they would not like it, but thats the way it is, Football in Waterford is played by the committed who love the game, and the rest are the guys either dropped or not yet on the hurling panels, i know how that sounds, but lets stop with the bull****.

Id never force the lad to play, and at the moment I think his ankle isnt 100%. But 5 or 6 teams? 1) Waterford Seniors 2) Clashmore Seniors..... Nothing more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Id never force the lad to play, and at the moment I think his ankle isnt 100%. But 5 or 6 teams? 1) Waterford Seniors 2) Clashmore Seniors..... Nothing more..

U21 Hurlers for Waterford and Clashmore, U21 footballers Clashmore and UCC Fitzgibbon team.

His future is very definitely with the Waterford hurlers, think it would be a waste of playing somebody interested in being a Waterford Senior footballer if he were to play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

U21 Hurlers for Waterford and Clashmore, U21 footballers Clashmore and UCC Fitzgibbon team.

His future is very definitely with the Waterford hurlers, think it would be a waste of playing somebody interested in being a Waterford Senior footballer if he were to play anyway.

He doesnt have to play for waterford u21 hurlers at the moment, I doubt he has to train with clashmore, U21 football clashmore are knocked out, ucc out of fitz...?

Without a doubt, he is as talented in both, but we are a hurling county.. hurling is his future.. all star in the making

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

He doesnt have to play for waterford u21 hurlers at the moment, I doubt he has to train with clashmore, U21 football clashmore are knocked out, ucc out of fitz...?

Without a doubt, he is as talented in both, but we are a hurling county.. hurling is his future.. all star in the making

You are correct on all of the above re teams he is playing with, a point missed by the others on here. No one has a problem with Austin Gleeson playing hurling for his college until he drops, but God forbid a player should be allowed to play U21 football for his own county while still on the age!! The U21 hurlers are not playing CHAMPIONSHIP at the moment and to my knowledge, Tadhg de Búrca has not played with them yet anyway. He has played U21 with his club recently, but they are now out of U21. His only regular commitment at this moment would be to the Waterford senior hurling team (and his studies).

If Shane Walsh and Brick had not played in 2003, Waterford would probably not have won a Munster Final. No one will have to worry about Tadhg for next year anyway, as his final chance to play U21 football for his county will be gone. If his ankle is not right, then he should have been rested last weekend and this Sunday v Antrim.

The poster who said that it is because it is football was correct, that is the reason he will not be allowed to play and we all know it. Until Waterford win an All-Ireland in hurling and we get rid of our inferiority complex, everything else will have to take a back seat and all the eggs will be in one basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

You are correct on all of the above re teams he is playing with, a point missed by the others on here. No one has a problem with Austin Gleeson playing hurling for his college until he drops, but God forbid a player should be allowed to play U21 football for his own county while still on the age!! The U21 hurlers are not playing CHAMPIONSHIP at the moment and to my knowledge, Tadhg de Búrca has not played with them yet anyway. He has played U21 with his club recently, but they are now out of U21. His only regular commitment at this moment would be to the Waterford senior hurling team (and his studies).

If Shane Walsh and Brick had not played in 2003, Waterford would probably not have won a Munster Final. No one will have to worry about Tadhg for next year anyway, as his final chance to play U21 football for his county will be gone. If his ankle is not right, then he should have been rested last weekend and this Sunday v Antrim.

The poster who said that it is because it is football was correct, that is the reason he will not be allowed to play and we all know it. Until Waterford win an All-Ireland in hurling and we get rid of our inferiority complex, everything else will have to take a back seat and all the eggs will be in one basket.

Nobody knows that he is not "allowed" to play. Tom devine is allowed and he is on the hurling panel. Maybe its the players choice as he knows he may not be 100% fit. Some disgrace that clare dragging Waterford up to the back a**e of nowhere to play that game. Good luck to the Waterford U21 footballers, I would love to see them play with a full panel to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Most players should be perfectly fine playing one game every week. It might come as a shock to some in Waterford, but in other counties you expect to have a club game every week for about 9 months of the year minimum.

Where there needs to be cooperation is around training, to make sure there is no overlap or overloading of the player midweek.

If you look at competitive fixtures, Waterford senior hurlers are likely to get maybe 10-12 games this year. The U21 hurlers will play probably 1-2. When you look at it that way you should have plenty of available weekends with the rest of the year. The problem is the endless amount of challenge games which managers like to play in lieu of competitive fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Nobody knows that he is not "allowed" to play. Tom devine is allowed and he is on the hurling panel. Maybe its the players choice as he knows he may not be 100% fit. Some disgrace that clare dragging Waterford up to the back a**e of nowhere to play that game. Good luck to the Waterford U21 footballers, I would love to see them play with a full panel to pick from.

If not fit, then rest him until he's back to full health and fitness. Anyway, this is not about the individual player in question. Would a player be discouraged from playing for his college, such as those playing on the same night with WIT? We are talking about U21 players here, who won't be U21 forever and get just a few chances to play for their county at that level. If a senior hurling panelist had a Sigerson match on Wed, would he be discouraged from playing? I'm not suggesting that senior players should attempt a dual mandate at senior level, as we know that doesn't work in the modern game.

I would respect a personal decision by any player not to try to take on too much, as long as no pressure is put on him by managers with only their own agenda at heart, but the Fitzgibbon final goes ahead Wednesday regardless. Does the college competition take precedence over U21 intercounty championship? Again, if it were a Sigerson football final, would senior hurling panelists be allowed to play?

Like I said, without Brick and Shane Walsh in 2003, Waterford might not have won an U21 Munster football final. Anyway, best of luck to the lads tomorrow night in West Clare, they have a good team as is and every chance to get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

If not fit, then rest him until he's back to full health and fitness. Anyway, this is not about the individual player in question. Would a player be discouraged from playing for his college, such as those playing on the same night with WIT? We are talking about U21 players here, who won't be U21 forever and get just a few chances to play for their county at that level. If a senior hurling panelist had a Sigerson match on Wed, would he be discouraged from playing? I'm not suggesting that senior players should attempt a dual mandate at senior level, as we know that doesn't work in the modern game.

I would respect a personal decision by any player not to try to take on too much, as long as no pressure is put on him by managers with only their own agenda at heart, but the Fitzgibbon final goes ahead Wednesday regardless. Does the college competition take precedence over U21 intercounty championship? Again, if it were a Sigerson football final, would senior hurling panelists be allowed to play?

Like I said, without Brick and Shane Walsh in 2003, Waterford might not have won an U21 Munster football final. Anyway, best of luck to the lads tomorrow night in West Clare, they have a good team as is and every chance to get a win.

Fair enough but again nobody knows are they being discouraged or not. Since tom devine is playing would suggest to me that its up to each individual player, but obviously at this stage de burca is one of our most important players for the hurling team so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Dont know what games youve been watchin. Brick is still a hugely important player for us. Dont know where your pulling this midfieder theory from. You do realise that hes rated as being pound for pound the best centre back in the game over the past 5 or 6 years
    a center back he probably held that position but to say the best center back for the last 5/6 years ,you must be joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

a center back he probably held that position but to say the best center back for the last 5/6 years ,you must be joking

Since he was moved back centre back by davy in 09, what centre back has been better? The only one i would say comes close is brian hogan. But not as near as influential. Only difference he had tommy walsh and jj delaney on either shoulder for most of that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/the-hurling-team-of-the-half-decade-305021.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Brick was a great centre back for Waterford, but the above article is simply Enda McEvoy's own personal opinion. I don't think anyone would agree with McEvoy's team in its entirety. Brick was a great man to gain possession, but his lack of ability to deliver fast ball into the forward line was a serious hindrance. Opposing defenders knew they had that extra few seconds before the ball was delivered when Brick gained possession. A second or two at that level of hurling is an eternity....

Waternut wrote: »
    Brick was a great centre back for Waterford, but the above article is simply Enda McEvoy's own personal opinion. I don't think anyone would agree with McEvoy's team in its entirety. Brick was a great man to gain possession, but his lack of ability to deliver fast ball into the forward line was a serious hindrance. Opposing defenders knew they had that extra few seconds before the ball was delivered when Brick gained possession. A second or two at that level of hurling is an eternity....

A hindrance why? In mopping up ball after ball that he had no right to be winning in the first place? His distribution of the ball as a centre back was second to none. Never wasted possesion. Always seemed to be able to find a man in a better position. Very intelligent player. To say brick was a hindrance to a team that he carried on his shoulders more often than not is absolute nonsense. Some of the forwards he was sending pitch perfect balls into werent fit to lace his boots. Look at the current centre back. A lot more wristy and flamboyant. Looks the part but what good us it when hes constantly wasting possesion. I know who id rather have in there on my team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Agreed, he found a man in space standing off him and facing out the field who had a better chance at picking out a man in the forwards instead of a hospital pass. Only time I thought he was caught out by this was when Bonner Maher marked him in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

some tools on here knocking one of the most influential hurlers every to represent waterford, could do it anywhere, we worry too much in Waterford about style and we sometimes place it a far second to substance, never happens in Kilkenny, Peter Barry hurled centre back for Kilkenny for years, could only hit the ball from one side and his only option every time was to hit it hard, same with Kenneddy jesus he was no stylist either , All ireland winners though , this has to be some clown looking for a rise, and then to have a go at " current waterford centre back", has to be a rise, either that or no body read or talk to this tit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waternut must have never seen Brick playing, as he rarely hit the ball into the forwards with his hurley. When he won possession at centre back, his first preference always was to pass it to a better-placed colleague. He developed a particularly good relationship doing this with Stephen Molumphy, whose marginalisation and eventual departure from the senior hurling panel says all you need to know about Derek McGrath's credentials as senior hurling manager.

Stumblingblock's claim that Tadhg de Búrca is "constantly wasting possession" is also contrary to the facts. Anyone who has followed de Búrca's development since underage will know that, apart from his super skillset, he is a very intelligent player always looking to play the ball to maximum advantage. The fact that he is a good ball striker gives him extra options compared with Brick. He is developing a link-up relationship with Jamie Barron similar to that between Brick and Molumphy which is beginning to work very well for us. We also need to bear in mind that de Búrca is still only 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Gleeson Starts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

3ships wrote: »
    Gleeson Starts

Only lasted 3 mins

Giveitfong wrote: »

Stumblingblock's claim that Tadhg de Búrca is "constantly wasting possession" is also contrary to the facts. Anyone who has followed de Búrca's development since underage will know that, apart from his super skillset, he is a very intelligent player always looking to play the ball to maximum advantage. The fact that he is a good ball striker gives him extra options compared with Brick. He is developing a link-up relationship with Jamie Barron similar to that between Brick and Molumphy which is beginning to work very well for us. We also need to bear in mind that de Búrca is still only 20.

I was referring to gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Some waste of money that u21 football lark. God help us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,529 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

UL 2-18 WIT 1-14 FT
    Clarke u-21 2-11 Waterford u-21 0-3 FT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Two bad results, dos Bennett play any part for UL?
    Will Aussie be fit for Sunday?

archieknox wrote: »

The next time we get a home draw to clare we should bring the match out to old parish. See how they fare

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I was referring to gleeson

While Gleeson has been wearing the No 6 jersey, de Búrca has played centre back in all three league games to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The next time we get a home draw to clare we should bring the match out to old parish. See how they fare

Maybe we could use a few old parish u21 players they might kick more than 3pts. That's a disgrace no matter where the bloody thing was played. 3pts? I would love to see someone defend that s**te! And we listening to how they were well prepared?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Was at game as Clare supporter.. Very poor standard . Dire stuff from both sides if I'm totally honest.. Tipp next for Clare.. Another massacre similar to last yr n the waiting.sorry deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

archieknox wrote: »

ffs was there no one from the Brickey's playing?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    While Gleeson has been wearing the No 6 jersey, de Búrca has played centre back in all three league games to date.

fair enough i was referring to him as a centre back in general as he is seen by many as the long term county centre back

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Can we not just be serious now an puncture what footballs are left in the county. We're shocking at football and were average at hurling so pick one or the other. In fairness they put in a good effort in trying to go about it the right way but were just not footballers, and some joker may argue were not hurlers either but we've had some success in the hurling

• Advertisement

Can we not just be serious now an puncture what footballs are left in the county. We're shocking at football and were average at hurling so pick one or the other. In fairness they put in a good effort in trying to go about it the right way but were just not footballers, and some joker may argue were not hurlers either but we've had some success in the hurling

Bad performance alright. But this group was never expected to deliver much anyway. This team was also hammered by the same clare group at minor 3 years ago. However the 2 subsequent minor teams we have had were good teams, from the last 2 years. So I did think we’d do a bit better than what we did. But we should be decent enough at this level the next couple of years. And I’m hearing good things about this year’s minor team. All is not lost. As long as the dual players can stay with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement