Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

just have to laugh at it really, some lunatics on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

3ships wrote: »
    This is our 3rd home league game in a row against Dublin. On the other hand we have been away to Clare and Kilkenny the last two years and away to tipp 3 of the last 4. Common sense does not seem to come into play with the fixtures list. Can't say I'm unhappy to get the home draw this Sunday besides we need the money

Its our 5th home game in a row against them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Yeah it's shocking how favourably the GAA look on Waterford sometimes...the nerve of them to allow us toss for it.

Would also be the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to a venue as a neutral one, where by it would mean one team would have been double (at least) the support they would have had otherwise. Wouldn't actually mind the game being in Croke Park myself as I am up here at the moment, but please lets call a spade a spade.

You are not the only Waterford person in Dublin, lots of them live in Dublin, so it would be handy for lots of Waterford fans. They would not all be travelling far. You'd have the Mayo fans cheering for you too. It is a neutral venue as it is not Parnell Park or Walsh Park, the home venues of the participating counties. Anyway, we've done the "Croke Park is Dublin's home ground" debate loads of times, so let's not do it again. Anyway, the match is in Walsh Park, so we can get back to discussing it now.

The Dublin hurlers have not been good on the road. We beat the last two All-Ireland champions in Parnell Park, but have not been so good away from home. We do not want a repeat of 2012, being relegated in the year after a good year. We'll battle hard on Sunday. Waterford aren't at full strength with some missing. Dublin will be determined to overturn the last result there. If they can tighten up on some of the mistakes they have been making, then they have a chance. There seems to be more to drive them and they could just shade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Slobbery wrote: »
    Now you are saying that they take all the blame when we lose and even if we beat Dublin next week they deserve none of the credit because it will all be down to Dublin's failings?
    Not to get personal with you or anything, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I do agree with some of the points you made earlier in the thread - but would you accept that you are being extremely negative

yes...I am extremely negative...esp when you consider I was really looking forward to see them push on this year...and taught they would push kilk a bit the last day and with a bit of luck youd never know...at half time I taught they come out and improve in the second half and could be a turning point and bury the clare result in the past...not set a trend of being hammered

outside of performance of a handful of players....I really struggle to see any positives.....if the two teams (dubs and Waterford) go out and perform the exact same as they did last sunday......who would you expect to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Flukey wrote: »
    You are not the only Waterford person in Dublin, lots of them live in Dublin, so it would be handy for lots of Waterford fans. They would not all be travelling far. You'd have the Mayo fans cheering for you too. It is a neutral venue as it is not Parnell Park or Walsh Park, the home venues of the participating counties. Anyway, we've done the "Croke Park is Dublin's home ground" debate loads of times, so let's not do it again. Anyway, the match is in Walsh Park, so we can get back to discussing it now.

The Dublin hurlers have not been good on the road. We beat the last two All-Ireland champions in Parnell Park, but have not been so good away from home. We do not want a repeat of 2012, being relegated in the year after a good year. We'll battle hard on Sunday. Waterford aren't at full strength with some missing. Dublin will be determined to overturn the last result there. If they can tighten up on some of the mistakes they have been making, then they have a chance. There seems to be more to drive them and they could just shade it.

I'm sure there is. Hell of a lot more in Waterford though. There would be hardly anyone from Mayo there at the game. Croke Park is one of Dublin's home grounds as it is in Dublin. Waterford also have two home grounds. It's a simple fact that there would be more Dublin fans there than there would be in Parnell Park if it was a double header. Given it's location, in this circumstance at the very least, you would have no grounds for an argument of it being a neutral venue.

I'd say it will be another close game. Can't see anything but a reaction after yesterday, though many have forgotten it here we did show plenty of character against Dublin with 14 men and controlled the Galway game.

• Advertisement

yes...I am extremely negative...esp when you consider I was really looking forward to see them push on this year...and taught they would push kilk a bit the last day and with a bit of luck youd never know...at half time I taught they come out and improve in the second half and could be a turning point and bury the clare result in the past...not set a trend of being hammered

outside of performance of a handful of players....I really struggle to see any positives.....if the two teams (dubs and Waterford) go out and perform the exact same as they did last sunday......who would you expect to win
    Do you not think the management and players would say.....right we owe it to the fans and most importantly to ourselves to go out and give a performance? They're inter county players, they have plenty of bottle. I hope you come back next sunday and change your opinion of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Every day/game is different, that's the beauty of it, the hurleys would have been burned long ago otherwise

I also think that it is commendable of young men, most in their early 20's, to use their personal finances as well as putting in a fundraising effort to fund a training trip in an effort to increase their chances this year - they deserve the height of praise for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Do you not think the management and players would say.....right we owe it to the fans and most importantly to ourselves to go out and give a performance? They're inter county players, they have plenty of bottle. I hope you come back next sunday and change your opinion of them

I would really hope they would...they haven't become bad players overnight....Kilkenny supporters couldn't believe how bad they were....laughing at the Waterford team up there...

il be there next sunday (against my better judgement:o:o)...il shout them on alright...but by jesus they better not give up...and have some sort of a gameplan...I missed the league game v Dublin...had to go to a wedding...was delighted with the result then...
    im not questioning there bottle atall....time to look forward to next sunday I suppose
    but I fear the management will be fatally undermined in eyes of supporters...like fitzgerald was after all Ireland 2008....he was never 100% forgiven after it....the defeat to tipp sunk him after it... he could've got away only for he over worst two wat beatings in last 15 years up to the last two weekend

either way ill be there sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I thought exactly that after the clare game, what might have been...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

No hope for the future?? Really?

Could this be the most hysterical thread in the history of the internet - sorry but that is a crazy statement
    well if it was said in 1964 would it be so hysterical ,50 years now and counting and then we give it to someone with a three year plan ,unreal ,,,,1st task this year ,win Waterford Crystal Cup ,failed,2nd win the league failed ,,,****ing hysterical

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

well if it was said in 1964 would it be so hysterical ,50 years now and counting and then we give it to someone with a three year plan ,unreal ,,,,1st task this year ,win Waterford Crystal Cup ,failed,2nd win the league failed ,,,****ing hysterical
    Yerra will you go away for yourself with your unrealistic bull****

So we have achieved nothing since 1964? Fair enough, and yet in the same comment you express disappointment at not winning the 2014 Waterford crystal cup....

MAKES SENSE

I love the way I didn't see you here after the Galway and Dublin games, straight on here then after yesterdays game to give your 2 cents ha. Probably done the same last week too

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Why respond the obvious ones lads? Easily recognisable and easily ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

No hope for the future?? Really?

Could this be the most hysterical thread in the history of the internet - sorry but that is a crazy statement

Explain you it is a crazy statement. After watching the county team been carved open 2 weeks in a row any hope I had for this panel of players has now been drained from me. We have a very good panel of players, we should be pushing on but looking at their performances recently, the whole set up looks like its lacking direction. Should I be feeling hopeful or am I missing something.

So we have achieved nothing since 1964? Fair enough, and yet in the same comment you express disappointment at not winning the 2014 Waterford crystal cup....

MAKES SENSE
    relatively **** all ,you would be happy with a league and a couple of munsters

I love the way I didn't see you here after the Galway and Dublin games, straight on here then after yesterdays game to give your 2 cents ha. Probably done the same last week too
    and you will be crowing on about ifs and probably's 'and building etc for the rest of your days

and you will be crowing on about ifs and probably's 'and building etc for the rest of your days
    u think so? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

what training will they do in portugal that cant be done in waterford? ye even have a load of lovely beaches there for a change of scenery from the hurling field if needs be.the players are been put under even more pressure to perform with this carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

I will be willing to give Derek the benefit of the doubt as soon as he loses his favouritism towards the lads he has worked with up to now in DLS school and DLS club.

I would not have an issue if these guys were delivering but it's patently obvious that they are not.

Everyone of Derek's pets were cleaned yesterday, in the full back line, half back line, centre field, half forward and full forward.

I will save them the embarrassment here by mentioning them by name.

Yet, were any of them taken off?

As I said, If I was Jamie Barron or Aussie Gleeson yesterday, I would have been extremely pissed off to have been taken off before others.

It was the same in Ennis the previous Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

what training will they do in portugal that cant be done in waterford? ye even have a load of lovely beaches there for a change of scenery from the hurling field if needs be.the players are been put under even more pressure to perform with this carry on.

I'd agree with you, unless they're going to some seriously professional setup like the time they trained with Reading i dont see the point. Therebwon't even be a fn set of goalposts there for the forwards to sharpen up their shooting at.

avonmore wrote: »
    I will be willing to give Derek the benefit of the doubt as soon as he loses his favouritism towards the lads he has worked with up to now in DLS school and DLS club.

I would not have an issue if these guys were delivering but it's patently obvious that they are not.

Everyone of Derek's pets were cleaned yesterday, in the full back line, half back line, centre field, half forward and full forward.

I will save them the embarrassment here by mentioning them by name.

Yet, were any of them taken off?

As I said, If I was Jamie Barron or Aussie Gleeson yesterday, I would have been extremely pissed off to have been taken off before others.

It was the same in Ennis the previous Sunday.
    like i said ,you need balls for the job

Ropaire wrote: »
    I'd agree with you, unless they're going to some seriously professional setup like the time they trained with Reading i dont see the point. Therebwon't even be a fn set of goalposts there for the forwards to sharpen up their shooting at.
    goalposts good one ,saipan

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

deisedoz wrote: »
    Think the above change is critical; we need Moran making his runs from deeper and SOS in forwards to have any hope of winning a ball

Moran needs to stop making runs full stop. He's getting dispossessed every time now and he has no concept of looking up or passing.

Moran needs to stop making runs full stop. He's getting dispossessed every time now and he has no concept of looking up or passing.
    most dissapointing on sunday ,would not shoot at the posts hand balled the sliothar away good few times ,also tried to rise the ball when in on goal instead of just pulling on the ground ,,would have pulled him ashore after 20 mins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

The reason Moran runs with the ball is because his wrists are not quick enough.

For all his athleticism and honesty, his basic hurling skills are limited. He needs too much time and space to get his strike in.

He is ok coming on to a ball but if he has to retrieve to collect it he is under pressure straight away.

His run yesterday into the heart of the Kilkenny defence was ridiculous. He didn't look up once, with a free man to his right. He was like a horse with blinkers on.

On another occasion he went for a ball, with Ray Barry I think it was who was in a better position, that he had no business going for and all he achieved was pushing it out over the line.

As well as that, whatever bit of confidence he had last year seems to have drained from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

just have to laugh at it really, some lunatics on here
    What do you mean? Do you mean that those of us who point out some hard facts are lunatics? The debate here is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

most dissapointing on sunday ,would not shoot at the posts hand balled the sliothar away good few times ,also tried to rise the ball when in on goal instead of just pulling on the ground ,,would have pulled him ashore after 20 mins

Dont want to single anyone out but moran has been off form all year. compared to his high standards from last year. even in the league when you think how good he was. He effectively beat tipp on his own in walsh park. Just isnt working for him at all dont know why but he looks a player whose head isnt right at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    Dont want to single anyone out but moran has been off form all year. compared to his high standards from last year. even in the league when you think how good he was. He effectively beat tipp on his own in walsh park. Just isnt working for him at all dont know why but he looks a player whose head isnt right at the moment.

Don't think he was that good last year either. Was brilliant against Tipp and Kilkenny last year but outside of that he looked fatigued/over-burdened for a lot of the year. Wonder would a bit of time off do him good, I guess one positive to not having a competitive game for a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement