Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

Dilly. wrote: »
    No I do not. I get e147.30 a week as JSB is calculated on your earnings from 2 year ago. Unfortunately even though I was working a 40 hour week last year, and other years might I add, the fact I accepted a part time job 2 years ago that I had to travel an hour and 15 mins round trip to every day rather than go on the dole means that I'm not entitled to full JSB. I live with my partner who is working a minimum wage job which means I'm also not eligible for rent allowance so I get none of these freebies you refer to.

Also I am not living off others, I have worked since I was 14, I think I've paid more than enough in tax over the years to keep me on JSB for what I hope will b a short time.

It's very easy for people in employment to judge those that are not

I am in full time employment and always give out about the Dolers............... by ''dolers'' i mean the people who were too lazy to get off their arse when there was loads of jobs during the boom. The Goverment raised the dole for the spongers when there was loads of jobs there........................... another **** up by the fianna failers...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    . I think there are two important factors when it comes to graduates, the area you graduated in and more importantly, who you know. If there is no paid work available people should try and volunteer and work for free, it gets your name out there and when paid work arises you will be already known.

This is incredibly true. If you're a recent graduate then you're no better off than any of the other hundreds of graduates throughout the country. If you know someone, or even a friend of a friend who can put in a good word, it's possible to get a job without even an interview.

So for any recent, unemployed graduates, get on linkedin, go to any events where potential colleagues or employers may be, follow relevant people on twitter and do anything to get your name out there, or add lines to your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm a Primary Teaching student, everyone knows that situation but I'm optimistic. A friend of mine went straight to Dubai for a year and was teaching there and then only a few weeks after she came home she was offered to sub for maternity leave and has since been given a permanent post in the same school...she was incredibly lucky but fortune favours the brave and all that. The fact she was a girl as well, I'm a lad so that's another plus with regards to getting a job in teaching.

As has been mentioned already, if you really want it and really go for it, you will get eventually...that's with regards to a job, but is applicable to other areas I'm sure :pac:

I hate this 'fortune favours her' attitude. How was she lucky? She took a risk moving to a foreign country, an Arab country, as a woman. A lot of people wouldn't. I'm sure she dealt with plenty of problems, culture shock etc. She took sub work on her return rather than turning her nose up at it, which undoubtedly led to her being taken on permanently. And she's obviously a good teacher to have been taken on.

I'm not saying at all that unemployed people are lazy or anything like that, but it really gets on my nerves when people are described as 'lucky' for doing well. In reality, they're generally not any luckier than anyone else, just willing to take risks and push themselves further than others would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I think there are many different types of unemployed.

There are our Celtic bullcrap tiger cubs like our friend jester, who have no idea how the world works and think that by withholding their labour they will drive up rates of pay. Meanwhile they fleece people working for almost min wage who pay for their food and upkeep.
    News for you guys: there aren't enough of you thinking that way to distort the market, and there are hundreds of thousands of equally qualified people around the globe. You live in the world economy, not the Irish economy.

Then there are the former builders, and all the slightly skilled associated ex-employees.
    5 years is more than enough time to have re skilled or educated yourself in some other field.
    I lost my construction business in mid 2011, and spent exactly one week without employment, cos if I didn't have a job I didn't eat. No dole for me. 1year is plenty long to have something worked out and be in training or working in some other field.

Then, there are the graduates with useless degrees, "skillsets" which nobody wants or needs. Whinging about there being NO JOBS! is bull Imo when you have NO SKILLS WE NEED. Re-educate yourself or get a service industry job, or else go wherever there are jobs in your field. How ridiculous would I sound if I said I was an astronaut and I was waiting for a job in my field to come up in Buncrana!!

There are those who refused to educate themselves at all in any way, who despite millions of euros pumped into literacy and basic numeracy can't even spell their own names and couldn't find their way home if it wasn't for having done the same journey with their parents and grandparents from the dole office via the bukkies then the offfie and maybe the chipper.
    These people do not deserve my tax euro. They deserve fcuk all. They contribute nothing except more parasite children. We are actively farming people.

There are tens, nay hundreds of thousands of genuine people who despite doing everything right are without a job. These people deserve our support and help. However, sadly I think they are at least matched in number by those who don't. This is why I voted for the 40-60% option.

Start your own business, move abroad, reskill, push some lazier git out of a job, work for free, - and I don't mean job bridge. Just do some fcuking thing !!

I admit I have never been unemployed in my life, and I believe what I hear and read about how it saps your drive and hope.

There is always hope though, and we live in the top 5% of the world's economies. If you can't survive in this environment, it's just too bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

johnr1 wrote: »
    I think there are many different types of unemployed.

There are our Celtic bullcrap tiger cubs like our friend jester, who have no idea how the world works and think that by withholding their labour they will drive up rates of pay. Meanwhile they fleece people working for almost min wage who pay for their food and upkeep.
    News for you guys: there aren't enough of you thinking that way to distort the market, and there are hundreds of thousands of equally qualified people around the globe. You live in the world economy, not the Irish economy.

Then there are the former builders, and all the slightly skilled associated ex-employees.
    5 years is more than enough time to have re skilled or educated yourself in some other field.
    I lost my construction business in mid 2011, and spent exactly one week without employment, cos if I didn't have a job I didn't eat. No dole for me. 1year is plenty long to have something worked out and be in training or working in some other field.

Then, there are the graduates with useless degrees, "skillsets" which nobody wants or needs. Whinging about there being NO JOBS! is bull Imo when you have NO SKILLS WE NEED. Re-educate yourself or get a service industry job, or else go wherever there are jobs in your field. How ridiculous would I sound if I said I was an astronaut and I was waiting for a job in my field to come up in Buncrana!!

There are those who refused to educate themselves at all in any way, who despite millions of euros pumped into literacy and basic numeracy can't even spell their own names and couldn't find their way home if it wasn't for having done the same journey with their parents and grandparents from the dole office via the bukkies then the offfie and maybe the chipper.
    These people do not deserve my tax euro. They deserve fcuk all. They contribute nothing except more parasite children. We are actively farming people.

There are tens, nay hundreds of thousands of genuine people who despite doing everything right are without a job. These people deserve our support and help. However, salt I think they are at least matched in number by those who don't. This is why I voted for the 40-60% option.

Start your own business, move abroad, reskill, push some lazier git out of a job, work for free, - and I don't mean job bridge. Just do some fcuking thing !!

I admit I have never been unemployed in my life, and I believe what I hear and read about how it saps your drive and hope.

There is always hope though, and we live in the top 5% of the world's economies. If you can't survive in this environment, it's just too bad for you.
    **** me your all heart, anyway dont hold back there say how you feel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

there is work out there but i cant seem to get any as i have no experience as a bus or truck driver its an employers market to pick and choose who and what they want!!!and its only going to get f**king worse in the years ahead

bbam wrote: »
    Well done you... I hope it goes well..

Also many, many of the "jobs" advertised are made up by recruitment agencies to troll for CV's.. I read an article last year that estimated it tobe as high as 60%, can't find link now though :o

I think you're right. A friend of mine told me he was going for an interview in the company I work in, despite them not taking anyone on. The agency then told him that "they went with an internal candidate" when the truth was that the job didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

0% - 20% Most really are trying to find work. There'll always be some chancers.
    35.17%

Seems most people see this as a fair reflection on of the situation of the unemployed . i believe this to be true.

Seems mad that some people in work believe the unemployed are not looking for work and want to stay unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

corkboy10 wrote: »
    there is work out there but i cant seem to get any as i have no experience as a bus or truck driver its an employers market to pick and choose who and what they want!!!and its only going to get f**king worse in the years ahead

Would you try for other jobs instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

Would you try for other jobs instead?

tried practically everything

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

**** me your all heart, anyway dont hold back there say how you feel!

So we keep on massaging the situation so it sits better with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dilly. wrote: »
    I thought that aswell untill i became unemployed :(

Very true! It was lot easier get interviews when I finished college you could walk into a job was still hard to get part time or summer work only a certain number would get it when was plentiful now students struggle to get basic part time work. Even simple jobs like working at shop or behind till. They keep looking for experience very few places don't unless they will train them up. Very few places will these days as employers expect interview candidates to be already trained up to the level they looking for which isn't easy.

To be honest if only options open to you is an unpaid job or jobbridge would you take it you still technically on welfare and tax payer is still paying so is it any different being on dole in search of work only difference you get experience but no proper income. Still classed as unemployed doing a jobbridge no matter how you look at it same as working unpaid job or volunteer work.

What about companies offering a couple positions and have more than 1,000 applicants what happens to all of them only certain number get interviewed and so few get the job in the end of the day. There isn't a job for everyone just look at the mass emigration and businesses closing down or relocating. Redundancies are constantly happening meaning they start again train up for new job or leave country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Graduates and students and older generation of workers and families are hit the hardest. You cant fault them for a recession many have to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It depends on the person and what your skills are. If you're unskilled living in the middle of nowhere then you're not going to have many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

downwesht wrote: »
    My boss put add in local press for fish filleter/fish shop assistant.Good job,good terms and pay.Got NO replies! I know at least 3 on the dole that the job would suit.......they are too busy.........SIGNING ON!:mad:

if this is still available i know someone who is interested. send me a pm!

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It depends on the person and what your skills are. If you're unskilled living in the middle of nowhere then you're not going to have many options.

If you're unskilled and living in the middle of nowhere, then the onus is on you to change one of those factors, not on everybody else to support you to continue to be as such. This type of entitled bullsh1t has to stop.

I left where I have lived for 37 years two years ago for precisely this reason. It's not perfect but sitting there moaning about no jobs while drawing welfare from the efforts of others while refusing to help myself would have been many times worse.

People need to stop telling lies to themselves as well as the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

If you're unskilled and living in the middle of nowhere, then the onus is on you to change one of those factors, not on everybody else to support you to continue to be as such. This type of entitled bullsh1t has to stop.

I left where I have lived for 37 years two years ago for precisely this reason. It's not perfect but sitting there moaning about no jobs while drawing welfare from the efforts of others while refusing to help myself would have been many times worse.

People need to stop telling lies to themselves as well as the rest of us.

That's all well and good if you have the resources to do so, what if you don't or you have a family etc etc? Not always as simple and upping sticks. For some that's not a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 knoxville1971

kennryyr wrote: »
    There are a lot of jobs out there, if you're in anyway NOT a retard you will get one.

You would need to be retarded to make this kind of general statement.
    There are jobs in the major urban areas , outside and the further outside you go they are slim and poorly paid . All the people that were working when the boom was here didn't just get lazy and decide to stay in bed, silly question if you ask me.
    As for the work placements they are taking jobs from people , seen a lot of manual labour placements looking for people, what a joke this country is really going down the pan.

panama wrote: »
    That's all well and good if you have the resources to do so, what if you don't or you have a family etc etc? Not always as simple and upping sticks. For some that's not a viable option.

But of course its infinetly more viable to sit where you are and get paid to moan.

People throughout history have learned new skills as old ones became redundant.

People throughout history have migrated for work.

Endless welfare for those who refuse to do either is morally wrong.

But of course its infinetly more viable to sit where you are and get paid to
    moan.

A lot of things are more viable. What's your point?
    People throughout history have learned new skills as old ones became redundant.

Nothing new or revolutionary there.

As was already pointed out, that's not a viable option for everyone. Some people have family etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 knoxville1971

Your forgetting a lot of people did come back to here when the "Boom" was going to make a life here and you will find a lot of the people that are not working are not sitting getting paid to moan since most have one partner working bringing in just enough money to pay the mortgage and bills and not much else , when means tested they receive no payment.
    Maybe you think all the people who are out of work in Kerry,cork, ect, ect can relocate to Dublin and get a job?? get retrained to do what ?? show me all these jobs when a forty something can retrain in a few years and get a job before a 21 year old just our of collage will??
    Please show some respect and thought in your answers , if it was that simple we would all be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I have a friend on the scratcher, has a degree - just couldn't be arsed working, plays games most of the day and loves it. Doesn't make any bull**** excuses, just says he is lazy, there are jobs available in his field, but he couldn't be arsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Have the recruitment agencies been hit by the lack of jobs and/or competition? Dublin used to be riddled with them... Adecco, Sigmar, CPL, Brightwater... What's the news on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've never had a problem finding jobs when I was in Ireland, I have been without employment for a few weeks max but never on the dole.

Id send out about a 100 CVs a week, id also work any job and have worked in a call centre and as a charity mugger.

Right now we have college graduates with their head in the sky thinking they can make 35k off their degrees, yet these people haven't even got the skill sets to pack shelves.

Not all circumstances are the same but the dole being as high as it is (Though cost of living is high) and the line "we're in the worst Blah Blah Blah ever" is a far to easy excuse for not wanting to work.

People want jobs, but they only want certain jobs, which is why we still see a lot of foreign nationals doing jobs not good enough for the Irish.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    People want jobs, but they only want certain jobs, which is why we still see a lot of foreign nationals doing jobs not good enough for the Irish.

I'd be totally in agreement with you Orange, -see the excuses, hate, and scorn poured on my posts above. However, there must be a percentage of the people on the dole who would take these type of jobs.
    I think there are foreign nationals in junior management in many if these service industries now, and like Irish abroad, they employ their own, they use the Bush telegraph to let other people from their own country of origin know about these jobs even before the position is fully available. I've heard of some "selling" jobs when they get a better one, but I'd imagine thats rare.
    I know if I were unemployed tomorrow, I'd out-compete soneone else for some job by fair means or foul. Did it before and would again.

Main issue in my opinion is that the difference between welfare and min wage is too small. Min wage is second highest in Eurozone, so only solution is to cut welfare. Not necessarily the base rate, - more the fringe benefits and add-ons.

Oranage2 wrote: »

While I don't doubt there are people who think certain jobs are beneath them, I would sincerely think they're in the minority. The company I work for mostly takes on foreign nationals, but that's only because they're with a recruitment agency and are cheaper to employ. There are plenty of Irish people trying to get in too but they usually get turned down.
    I'd be totally in agreement with you Orange, -see the excuses, hate, and scorn poured on my posts above.

I don't see any of that tbh. Your opinions were merely challenged to which you never responded. There's no hate or scorn there.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    While I don't doubt there are people who think certain jobs are beneath them, I would sincerely think they're in the minority. The company I work for mostly takes on foreign nationals, but that's only because they're with a recruitment agency and are cheaper to employ. There are plenty of Irish people trying to get in too but they usually get turned down.

I don't see any of that tbh. Your opinions were merely challenged to which you never responded. There's no hate or scorn there.

Just like you never responded to my question to you Davey. Again: What do you think people ought to do? Reskill? Relocate? Or just wait for the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes: to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Shouldn't recruitment agencies be regulated more strictly? I know there are certain regulations but it seems as though agencies just rape people who are desperate for a job and then chuck them aside without any notice.

Just like you never responded to my question to you Davey. Again: What do you think people ought to do? Reskill? Relocate? Or just wait for the Celtic Tiger :rolleyes: to return?

What question did I not respond to? Depending on the individual they do whatever than can do or whatever is best for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There ARE jobs out there, but I don't think there are enough for everyone on the dole.

We all know a few lazy arseholes who want nothing more than to spend their life on the dole (almost every single friend I have is on the dole and has never had any intention of working, and has never had a job, despite being in their late 20s). But I bet we all know even more people on the dole who are desperate for work.

There will always be some people who think life is a breeze on the dole. If you live at home and don't pay mammy any rent or utilities, 188 euro a week is tonnes to spend on yourself. I work full time and I sure as hell don't have 188 a week disposable income!

But there are those who are desperate enough that they'll take any kind of work going.

A woman actually came in to me today in work. She gave me her CV and I said I'd pass it on to the owner. I was told by the owner to open the CV and make sure she has some experience before sending it.

This woman has thirty years of work experience, owned her own business and is now unemployed. She used to earn an a hell of a lot more money than we're offering new staff (min wage + tiny commission), and yet she's still going for a job she knows she's waaaay over-qualified for, and will be paid a meager wage in.

For every dole scrounger who never intends to get a job, I'd hazard a guess that there are many more genuine cases.

Advertisement