Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

It's funny really. My contract ended for my last job in July last year and I have spent over a year applying, doing a few interviews and doing odd bits here and there but I couldn't get anything stable.

Then three friends of mine went to Manchester for a weekend and I tagged along. I got a job out there along with one of my mates that weekend and we have been sorting out a house for out there etc. since then. The gas bit is that about a week after I finally got a job I started getting emails back from places I applied to asking "are you still looking for a job because we're hiring?" they couldn't have timed it worse.

To sum up, when you want a job they seem thin on the ground and when you have one you'll have offers coming out of your ears, life is weird like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

jay92 wrote: »
    I'm sorry panama. QUOTE]

All sorted now. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

It's funny really. My contract ended for my last job in July last year and I have spent over a year applying, doing a few interviews and doing odd bits here and there but I couldn't get anything stable.

Then three friends of mine went to Manchester for a weekend and I tagged along. I got a job out there along with one of my mates that weekend and we have been sorting out a house for out there etc. since then. The gas bit is that about a week after I finally got a job I started getting emails back from places I applied to asking "are you still looking for a job because we're hiring?" they couldn't have timed it worse.

To sum up, when you want a job they seem thin on the ground and when you have one you'll have offers coming out of your ears, life is weird like that.

So, to paraphrase The Clash, did you stay or did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dilly. wrote: »
    Can you please enlighten me what exactly you can get "free" if you have just become unemployed within the last few months? I'd really love to know!

You get almost 188 euro for doing nothing. There is people working almost 22 hours for this here.

The UK's is no where near that and it makes people get work.

Until our social welfare system becomes more strict etc I will not change my views on it.

There are genuine people out their but there who need it but there is plenty of people living off taxpayers as its an easy lifestyle for them.

Our social welfare system is doing SFA as far as I can see and people get whatever they want once they fill out a few forms. Our budget deficit for a given year would be 0 if they were stricter and gave people who need it and not to everybody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

panama wrote: »
    Uhm, well firstly wind your neck in with the needless insults.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I know nothing about job hunting exactly? Or where did I say anything on the contrary to suggest that there are loads of jobs.

I'm genuinely puzzled as you seem to be confusing me with the poster above who was ranting about people being gifted everything on social welfare and not wanting to work etc.

I'm going to presume you have made a mistake as otherwise your post makes no sense whatsoever. I'd suggest you read back through the last few pages again properly paying attention to who posted whatever got you so riled up.

Also here's a quick link so you can browse through my last few posts:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=186827&sort=newest

:confused:

Sorry, that was a genuine mistake on my part. Wrong poster

Anyway re-direct my last to whoever that other guy is !

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You get almost 188 euro for doing nothing. There is people working almost 22 hours for this here.

The UK's is no where near that and it makes people get work.

Yeah things are certainly far better over there:

http://www.insolvencynews.com/article/15081/personal/unemployment-reaches-2.56-million

jay92 wrote: »
    Sorry, that was a genuine mistake on my part. Wrong poster

Anyway re-direct my last to whoever that other guy is !

I thought as much! I'll edit the above. :)

You get almost 188 euro for doing nothing. The UK's is no where near that and it makes people get work.

Until our social welfare system becomes more strict etc I will not change my views on it.

There are genuine people out their but there who need it but there is plenty of people living off taxpayers as its an easy lifestyle for them.

Our social welfare system is doing SFA as far as I can see and people get whatever they want once they fill out a few forms. Our budget deficit for a given year would be 0 if they were stricter and gave people who need it and not to everybody.

But you can't doubt that most of the 14 odd percent of people who are unemployed actually want a job. In the boom times when Ireland had almost no unemployment (for people who wanted jobs), it was great. Do you think signing on getting possibly a fraction of the money they used to get is attractive to people? I have a few friends back home in Ireland who are on the dole and they hate it. They were never the most diligent workers when they had jobs, but they find being unemployed crushing and depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm a Primary Teaching student, everyone knows that situation but I'm optimistic. A friend of mine went straight to Dubai for a year and was teaching there and then only a few weeks after she came home she was offered to sub for maternity leave and has since been given a permanent post in the same school...she was incredibly lucky but fortune favours the brave and all that. The fact she was a girl as well, I'm a lad so that's another plus with regards to getting a job in teaching.

As has been mentioned already, if you really want it and really go for it, you will get eventually...that's with regards to a job, but is applicable to other areas I'm sure :pac:

Sorry to break it to you but being a lad counts for damn all now. I'm a lad and I know loads of other lads. All hurlers, musicians etc with a couple of years experience and none of us can get a job.

Being male doesn't mean anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Every time i see the subject of jobs come up on here its always the same stuff....

Uhhh theres loads of jobs out there anyone not working is just lazy!! I work 100 hours a week in a coal mine my taxes are paying for you to live all those on the dole get everything for free............

Ive been out of work over a year and i apply for work every week but i rarely hear back from anything.

I have worked so many ****e jobs since i was a teenager had maybe two good jobs i loved just happened to lose the last one which was great good pay and good hours because of cut backs.

The simple fact of the matter is i dont wanna go back out there working in minimum wage jobs like ****ing spar etc because ya theres loads of crap like that out there but theres only so much of that you can do in your life before it becomes depressing!!.

Anyone whos worked in basic jobs that being one example will know that there mostly in a situation where they work like dogs have different hours every week and have to put up with a jumped up prick of a boss who treats you like ****e he stepped in.

So when i hear ya theres loads of jobs out there for everyone the fact is most of them are paying not much more then the dole after tax and its depressing to be working like that.

Ive given up applying for this **** i only apply for stuff i know i can do and id actually want to work in. Ive also gone back studying IT unless its last resort i aint going back working in some ****ing ****e hole again. You get nothing and i mean nothing from it.

Theres more to life then that sometimes you have to just think **** it one day ill be dead and ive wasted most my life being treated like a fool.

• Advertisement

Caonima wrote: »
    But you can't doubt that most of the 14 odd percent of people who are unemployed actually want a job. In the boom times when Ireland had almost no unemployment (for people who wanted jobs), it was great. Do you think signing on getting possibly a fraction of the money they used to get is attractive to people? I have a few friends back home in Ireland who are on the dole and they hate it. They were never the most diligent workers when they had jobs, but they find being unemployed crushing and depressing.

In 2006 unemployment was around 4.5% so 10% are actually unemployed this year but your can be sure at least 2% can't be bothered to get jobs. How many people are refusing jobs that are offered to them or even courses to train up.

The lifestyle comment was overall as you can be sure they getting more than the unemployment benefit. They will have rent allowance, possibly single parents when the OH is living their, medical card, free travel and so on.

This has to stop once and for all and like other governments this one isn't doing enough either.

Their is plenty of genuine people who need and deserve it but there is plenty who don't.

Thousands of jobs online waiting to be filled. There is NEVER no jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

kraggy wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but being a lad counts for damn all now. I'm a lad and I know loads of other lads. All hurlers, musicians etc with a couple of years experience and none of us can get a job.

Being male doesn't mean anything anymore.

....except to car insurance companies. :)

How many people are refusing jobs that are offered to them or even courses to train up.

Hmmmmmm, isn't part of the dole (or job-seekers' allowance) based upon you making an active attempt to find work? I didn't think people could just straight out refuse to work if they're on the scratcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

There are jobs but for university graduates there are very little unless you emigrate

Hmmmmmm, isn't part of the dole (or job-seekers' allowance) based upon you making an active attempt to find work? I didn't think people could just straight out refuse to work if they're on the scratcher.

But how many are making active attempts to find work. A real attempt and not oh sure I send one or two in here. If you are offered a job you take it or get cut. Its not happening enough.

There is plenty of people doing nothing and these should be targeted first.

But how many are making active attempts to find work. A real attempt and not oh sure I send one or two in here. If you are offered a job you take it or get cut. Its not happening enough.

There is plenty of people doing nothing and these should be targeted first.

It's shown that it is harder to get a job when you have been out of work for a while (~2 years +), not only because of your CV having periods of 'inactivity', but also because of the depression and lack of morale it creates to be long-term without a job.

I'm the same as you, all for people who haven't worked in ages to get back to work, whether they want to or not. However, from an employer's point of view, if you have 1,000 CVs, why give the job to the guy/girl who has massive gaps in their CV and doesn't actually want to work?

Right now, Ireland needs to get as many people back to work as possible. Plugging gaps and firefighting the social welfare system in the country are massive long-term projects that need to be addressed when the country is back on its feet again, not in a time like now.

If we halved the unemployment rate and got the economy back to some steady growth, then and only then could you begin to address these welfare leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭twinytwo

there are a lot of jobs there, its depends how qualified you are. For example a lot jobs require fluency in either french or german.

It funny though, when i was doing my leaving when had a maths teacher who used to tell us we were all retards if we didnt become engineers, luckly i was a bit smarter than him.

You also have to look at it the other way. Where i work there is a core of lazy ****s who do the absolute bare minimum required to keep their jobs, not a tap more (And its not as if they wouldnt get paid for it) which is barely anything anyway. they just moan and bitch all day .We recently had some temp staff in who by all accounts were some of the best staff we ever had and we couldnt keep any of them because of the aforementioned dimwits.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Where i work there is a core of lazy ****s who do the absolute bare minimum required to keep their jobs, not a tap more (And its not as if they wouldnt get paid for it) which is barely anything anyway. they just moan and bitch all day

You work in the civil service? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Anybody who doesn't drive should definitely learn - it opens up a lot of doors. It is costly to drive but not having a driver's licence often excludes people from a lot of jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Pug160 wrote: »
    Anybody who doesn't drive should definitely learn - it opens up a lot of doors. It is costly to drive but not having a driver's licence often excludes people from a lot of jobs.

Yea but it's chicken and egg.
    Lots of lads round ere lost their jobs, it's a rural area but they couldn't keep on their cars through the sheer cost of tax, insurance and fuel. This has seriously narrowed their employment prospects even further.
    The facts are that an adult male with a family and mortgage running a car, is often no better off working for the minimum wage.
    I don't know what the solution is, but it sure isn't solved by cutting the dole and making the choice between starving and barely getting by in life.

I'd love to see a report into the money that has been raided from our pensions to go towards this massive job creatin plan the government have. I'd be afraid that it's just going towards trumped up schemes like TUS. Which will have no long term good, it's sole purpose is to reduce the long term live register numbers.
    If I remember the plan was to create 20k jobs a year. If you think about that. With 400,000 on the scratcher it would take 20 years to generate jobs for them all, hardly a master plan worth raiding my pension fund for !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

So, to paraphrase The Clash, did you stay or did you go?

Going at the end of the month. Better wage in Manchester than what I was offered here, I'll be back though, couldn't emigrate forever

Going at the end of the month. Better wage in Manchester than what I was offered here, I'll be back though, couldn't emigrate forever

Gone to Madchester a few times to see Utd play - it's a nice city, lots to do, good vibe. Fukkin cold in the wintertime, though. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

I was made redundant in July and got another job straight away and then a better one which I start on Monday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

I think being on the dole for an extended period of time saps you of motivation and confidence. You get into a cycle of dependency and complacency that is VERY difficult to get out of. I think the youth in this country and all over Europe have been absolutely screwed over by the protected classes and a government who look after the older generation first and foremost using emigration as a release valve. There are a high percentage of people who do take the piss and never want to work but this is merely human nature. Its natural to take the easy choice and let others do the heavy lifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

downwesht wrote: »
    My boss put add in local press for fish filleter/fish shop assistant.Good job,good terms and pay.Got NO replies! I know at least 3 on the dole that the job would suit.......they are too busy.........SIGNING ON!:mad:

Maybe this is the same job. I saw job on FAS in the last 3 or 4 months advertised in the North East of the country looking for people to fillet fish. Problem is they want you a have at least 2 years experience in a similar role and good knife skills. Id say that eliminates well over half the people on social welfare right away. Think it was around 11 yoyos an hour too, so wouldnt be a bad job if you had the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    There are jobs but for university graduates there are very little unless you emigrate

Not completely true, I graduated this summer and had a job within a week. Moneys not the best but its a stepping stone. I think there are two important factors when it comes to graduates, the area you graduated in and more importantly, who you know. I put in a lot of effort during my studies gaining work experience and making contacts. I spent the three summers i had in college working for free within the industry, it was hard but its paid off. If there is no paid work available people should try and volunteer and work for free, it gets your name out there and when paid work arises you will be already known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

There are jobs out there, but not enough of them to go around. Every job that's advertised receives a huge number of applicants: this article suggests that there are 150 jobseekers for every vacancy in Ireland. It's a lottery as to whether you get called for interview. Meanwhile, recruiters are getting more and more demanding because they need to cut down on this deluge of CVs - almost every job posting requires relevant experience, not to mention the ones looking for specific training or specific language skills.

I have friends and family members in their early 20s who have no work experience at all - in school, we were all told not to work (I was actively encouraged to quit my 8hr a week shop job) and to focus on our exams and then the recession hit in 2008 (my final year of school) and all the part-time jobs that were once easy to pick up suddenly required experience. But how do they get experience when nowhere will hire them without it?!

I was looking for a part-time job (retail or customer service) this time last year. I had over two years' relevant experience, very good flexibility for hours and fluency in three languages - I sent out between 40 and 50 applications for basic entry-level minimum-wage jobs and only got three calls out of it (have been working in a great place for a year now, though, so won't complain). So imagine how many applications someone with zero previous experience has to send before they even get one interview, if they get it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

You get almost 188 euro for doing nothing.....

No I do not. I get e147.30 a week as JSB is calculated on your earnings from 2 year ago. Unfortunately even though I was working a 40 hour week last year, and other years might I add, the fact I accepted a part time job 2 years ago that I had to travel an hour and 15 mins round trip to every day rather than go on the dole means that I'm not entitled to full JSB. I live with my partner who is working a minimum wage job which means I'm also not eligible for rent allowance so I get none of these freebies you refer to.

Also I am not living off others, I have worked since I was 14, I think I've paid more than enough in tax over the years to keep me on JSB for what I hope will b a short time.

It's very easy for people in employment to judge those that are not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Professional jobs are still there and imo they're growing.

The recession wiped out jobs in construction and lower paid jobs.Giving that the majority of the population worked in construction or low paid jobs its kind of common sense that their is more competition for these sectors.You can't just cut the dole and expect hundreds of thousands of jobs to magically appear.

As for cutting the dole,the rate of pay isn't the problem.If anything its helping the economy.Dole payments are circulated back into the local economy.The local economy seems to be what people working want to protect and is also keeping inflation somewhat in line, its a contradictory argument to cut the dole.Give people the power to spread their dole money,it doesn't disappear into a blackhole.

Its not sustainable long term,but at the present moment its the right level.Cut the secondary benefits,not the rates of allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

No:mad:

Advertisement