Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options
  • 15-08-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Pretty straight forward, are a good number of people just using the excuse that 'theres no work out there' to justify remaining on the welfare.

what percentage would you think?

Are some folks taking advantage of the crisis. 284 votes

All of 'em, the lazy feckers.
    0% 0 votes
    60% - 80% are taking the pss, turning down work, then having a can and a spliff.
    3% 9 votes
    40% - 60%
    9% 27 votes
    20% - 40%
    13% 37 votes
    0% - 20% Most really are trying to find work. There'll always be some chancers.
    17% 50 votes
    The works genuinely not out there, not their fault. Cant give a %
    39% 111 votes
    The works out there, they're using the crisis to cover up their laziness. Cant guess %
    17% 50 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Elbaston wrote: »
    Pretty straight forward, are a good number of people just using the excuse that 'theres no work out there' to justify remaining on the welfare.

what percentage would you think?
    Plenty of work out there. I know a couple of fellas really struggling to find workers. People say they want jobs, but people willing to work is a different thing entirely it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

If you want a job you'll find one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

In certain sectors yes but overall things are as bad as ever. A lot of the jobs are very low pay and jobslave schemes not worth the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There are a lot of short term, part time and minimum wage jobs out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I live in the north-east in a rural community. There is no work in the area at all. Long commutes to min wage jobs in larger urban areas is one option, but it's hard to make it add up.

I know one chap who is doing it, €0.50 above minimum wage, 45 mile round trip. He's 20-30 better off than if he was on the social.

There is some work, but outside the major urban centres there is nearly none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

There are a lot of jobs out there, if you're in anyway NOT a retard you will get one.

FG/Labour just want the jobless figures down and if that means pushing people into 20 hours a week work for 8.65 an hour or a jobslave scam job they will do it. Anything to get the numbers down. They are only interested in the next election.

kennryyr wrote: »
    There are a lot of jobs out there, if you're in anyway NOT a retard you will get one.
    Absolute and utter BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It might be difficult to find work if you have very few or no skills and qualifications, or a crappy degree.

Lots of employers are looking for experienced and qualified staff and its sometimes hard to find

It also depends on where you live, it's easier in large urban areas than in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I was half thinking of coming home from Oz but maybe not. Maybe Norway for mechanics so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ive been out of work for over a year until very recently, i managed to get myself a job.

I was applying for EVERY SINGLE JOB that i was suited for,some weeks i was applying for 10+ jobs. There are jobs out there but the problem is there are also hundreds of people applying for those jobs. I wanted to be working, i hated sitting at home all day looking at the same 4 walls. I would estimate i applied for over 100 jobs and managed to get 3 interviews, that is the stark reality of the situation in this country.

Obviously there are people taking the piss out of the system but there are a lot more genuine people like myself using it aswell. Nobody in this country wants to live on €188 a week, its just not feasible with the price of rent, petrol and other necessities. There were some weeks where after bills i was left with €10/€20 a week to get food for the week. The people who are happy on the dole have plenty of side scams ensuring they receive a lot of money from other methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There some employment out there but not nearly enough to take everyone off the live register. Most of what's available is either unsuitable for the skill-sets (or lack thereof) of many on the live register and a lot of what's available simply can't compete with our high welfare rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

If you want a job you'll find one!

Sure, In Canada or Australia.
    Not too many jobs going in Ireland however.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Plenty of work out there. I know a couple of fellas really struggling to find workers. People say they want jobs, but people willing to work is a different thing entirely it seems.
    what sector are these fellas looking for workers in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Jobs are out there. Employer just whats people with experience and 3 level degree for an entry level job. Most minimum wage job is now part of the Job Bridge. That just requires you to be on the dole for 3 months and work for €50 a week. Other jobs require to know someone in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ya there is plenty of jobs out there, if out there means the UK, Oz, Korea, Germany etc... There is Feck all well paid jobs in Ireland at the moment especially outside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ive been out of work for over a year until very recently, i managed to get myself a job.

I was applying for EVERY SINGLE JOB that i was suited for,some weeks i was applying for 10+ jobs. There are jobs out there but the problem is there are also hundreds of people applying for those jobs. I wanted to be working, i hated sitting at home all day looking at the same 4 walls. I would estimate i applied for over 100 jobs and managed to get 3 interviews, that is the stark reality of the situation in this country.

Obviously there are people taking the piss out of the system but there are a lot more genuine people like myself using it aswell. Nobody in this country wants to live on €188 a week, its just not feasible with the price of rent, petrol and other necessities. There were some weeks where after bills i was left with €10/€20 a week to get food for the week. The people who are happy on the dole have plenty of side scams ensuring they receive a lot of money from other methods.

Well done you... I hope it goes well..

Also many, many of the "jobs" advertised are made up by recruitment agencies to troll for CV's.. I read an article last year that estimated it tobe as high as 60%, can't find link now though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

There are not a lot of jobs and a lot of competition for the ones available. The staff turnover in most places has been reduced dramatically.

There are also a lot of people who would rather be on the dole than work jobs that pay less than €10PH.

It's a venn diagram

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ya there is plenty of jobs out there, if out there means the UK, Oz, Korea, Germany etc... There is Feck all well paid jobs in Ireland at the moment especially outside of Dublin.

Well paid?
    A job is a job isn't it and better than being a sponge off our country and being out in same category as them junkies outside the dole every day pissing about drinking and moaning about everyone else

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Plenty of IT companies throwing money around searching for skilled workers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Pingi wrote: »
    There are also a lot of people who would rather be on the dole than work jobs that pay less than €10PH.

There arent a lot of people who would prefer that, especially if its a full time 39 hour week. 39 x 8.65 is €337 before tax, thats a bit better than the €188 for being on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

what sector are these fellas looking for workers in?

Range of sectors, construction, engineering, transport, services. Once people have to work past 5 in the evening, on a Sunday or away from home for a night, the desire for 'work' decreases dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm a Primary Teaching student, everyone knows that situation but I'm optimistic. A friend of mine went straight to Dubai for a year and was teaching there and then only a few weeks after she came home she was offered to sub for maternity leave and has since been given a permanent post in the same school...she was incredibly lucky but fortune favours the brave and all that. The fact she was a girl as well, I'm a lad so that's another plus with regards to getting a job in teaching.

As has been mentioned already, if you really want it and really go for it, you will get eventually...that's with regards to a job, but is applicable to other areas I'm sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

My boss put add in local press for fish filleter/fish shop assistant.Good job,good terms and pay.Got NO replies! I know at least 3 on the dole that the job would suit.......they are too busy.........SIGNING ON!:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I suspect it's very much sector-dependent.

My OH has been out of work for about 4 months now and is finding it very difficult to find something. He's not being considered for entry-level positions due to his age and experience, and the higher-level positions are few and far between at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Plenty of IT companies throwing money around searching for skilled workers.

I get an email or phone call from a recruiter every other day. There are jobs out there.

The problem in Ireland is people about 5-10 years ago left IT degrees to earn 20 euros an hour stacking bricks. If they'd stayed in college they'd have 5+ years experience in IT now, and they'd have a job or they at least would be employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

downwesht wrote: »
    My boss put add in local press for fish filleter/fish shop assistant.Good job,good terms and pay.Got NO replies! I know at least 3 on the dole that the job would suit.......they are too busy.........SIGNING ON!:mad:

is the job still going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

WAs having a think about this the other day. Are a lot of people on the live register still construction workers? Things are never going back to how they were so a large amount of construction workers will unfortunately not find work here again, but maybe they are hanging on in the hope that something will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Plug wrote: »
    I was half thinking of coming home from Oz but maybe not. Maybe Norway for mechanics so!

Plenty of work in Norway:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It depends on the work and where it is. I'm not changing career from admin to turf digging for anyone.

Advertisement