Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And therein lies the problem. People have a predefined, rigid and inflexible notion of what their occupation is, when and where they can work, and what their terms and conditions of employment should be.

Then they have a right old moan when they can't find work.

But what's wrong with having self worth? I have tons of retail and customer service experience, can do it in my sleep. But someone who has gone to college for years to be qualified in a professional field shouldn't have to take a low paid dead end job because it's the done thing either. I wouldn't like to have an honours degree in something and be collecting glasses in a pub or mopping floors, short term if you were really stuck maybe, but short term crap jobs can easily turn into being there for far longer than you planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So youd rather sit at home on the dole than go out and earn 24k a year?

I say he rather get payed for his skill level. What he is pointing out is the issue with Ireland job market. A guy with 11 years of training, including a PhD, shouldn't be earning the same as an entrance level Aldi employee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Jester252 wrote: »
    I say he rather get payed for his skill level. What he is pointing out is the issue with Ireland job market. A guy with 11 years of training, including a PhD, shouldn't be earning the same as an entrance level Aldi employee.

I agree 100% but if that is the only job available at the time then surely you take that job while holding out for a better paid one. It just seems like the logical thing to do in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

I didnt mean to disagree with you, i was just giving my own situation as an example. Of course there are people who wouldnt work for less than €10 p/h, i cannot fathom someone thinking like that.

The way i see it is very simple, instead of sitting at home on the dole, go and take any job you can even if it is minimum wage and while you are doing that job, continue to apply for "better" jobs on a higher wage.

People refusing to work for anything under €10 p/h are just as bad as the dossers who have no interest in ever working again.

I'd refuse to work for less than €10 p/h.
    Im not OVERLY qualified by any means. 8.65 is quite often taking the piss.

If you've even just got your leaving 8.65 is not enough imho.

8.65 jobs are available to anyone really, most jobs at that level wouldn't require skills or often even highschool education.

So why would I be content to bring more to the table than someone else and still only get minimum wage.

krudler wrote: »
    But what's wrong with having self worth? I have tons of retail and customer service experience, can do it in my sleep. But someone who has gone to college for years to be qualified in a professional field shouldn't have to take a low paid dead end job because it's the done thing either. I wouldn't like to have an honours degree in something and be collecting glasses in a pub or mopping floors, short term if you were really stuck maybe, but short term crap jobs can easily turn into being there for far longer than you planned.

I think it has more to do with pretentiousness than self worth. Not being seen to work for such a "low" wage while no doubt sitting at home complaining about the lack of jobs available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

maybe, but surely would you not take €24000 rather then €188 until some thing better comes along?

Elbaston wrote: »

8.65 jobs are available to anyone really, most jobs at that level wouldn't require skills or often even highschool education.

So why would I be content to bring more to the table than someone else and still only get minimum wage.

So youd refuse €400 a week and would instead, sign on the dole for €188. In what world does that make sense?

I agree 100% but if that is the only job available at the time then surely you take that job while holding out for a better paid one. It just seems like the logical thing to do in my eyes.

But if you take the job the employer things its an acceptably to under pay its employee. A guy will a PhD and 3 years experience should not accept such an under paid job because its the only one. Would you marry someone you hate because s/he is the only one available at the time?

But if you take the job the employer things its an acceptably to under pay its employee. A guy will a PhD and 3 years experience should not accept such an under paid job because its the only one. Would you marry someone you hate because s/he is the only one available at the time?

Completely different things. You don't hate the job, its the field you chose to work in. Just because the wages don't match your expectations isn't a reason to turn down the job and continue to sign on the dole in my opinion.

All it boils down to in my head is this :

Work for €500 a week while looking for a better paid job in the same field or
    Stay at home all week looking for a well paid job while receiving €188 a week from the dole.

Very simple reasoning in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

A company is much more likely to hire a young student over someone with qualifications, because they know should they give the job to the person with qualifications they are going to bolt at the first sign of a better job. It's actually easier to get one of those McJobs if you have no experience or education.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Well, the difference is a marriage is (ideally) supposed to last forever.

I would take the job with the low pay while looking for something better. At the end of the day, it will add to you CV and could provide valuable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Sounds like people just snobby about the job you want to take. "EVERY SINGLE JOB that I was suited for", that could be feck all depending on the type of thing you were looking for. If the dole was cut to a reasonable level were it was more likely that you'd be paid a good percentage more while working a low-end job than you would be on welfare, then for the majority of people this complex would be lost and we'll find the unemployment rate drop; more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Nailz wrote: »
    Sounds like people just snobby about the job you want to take. "EVERY SINGLE JOB that I was suited for", that could be feck all depending on the type of thing you were looking for. If the dole was cut to a reasonable level were it was more likely that you'd be paid a good percentage more while working a low-end job than you would be on welfare, then for the majority of people this complex would be lost and we'll find the unemployment rate drop; more than likely.

So after the boom 10%~ of the working population just suddenly decided they didn't like working anymore?

So youd refuse €400 a week and would instead, sign on the dole for €188. In what world does that make sense?

188 is the base amount. Your forgetting about rent allowance and other allowance. Also the €400 is taxed, cost of travel etc. Why accept a job that pays less than a bus driver but requires a higher skill?

€346. (40 hr week) Before tax and commuting. Say 280 after tax. 20 on commuting.

260 is not far from 188.

Then theres the lost earnings used during those now uncounted years spent learning.

188 is the base amount. Your forgetting about rent allowance and other allowance. Also the €400 is taxed, cost of travel etc. Why accept a job that pays less than a bus driver but requires a higher skill?

Because its a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

There is work out there but a lot of the people looking are not qualified. A lot of the multinationals hiring are looking for experienced IT professionals or people with 2nd languages. Not the kind of skills that recent graduates or former boom time construction workers have. Many of them have graduate recruitment schemes but that will do very little to soak up a percent of graduates.

For skilled qualified workers applying for low wages jobs, its an employers market they will not take the chance of hiring someone highly qualified spend time training them only to have them shoot off to a better job. Staff turnover costs time and money, they will not hire someone who is overqualified if they have an alternative.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Because its a job.

Works for me.

(the answer...not scoop)

€346. (40 hr week) Before tax and commuting. Say 280 after tax. 20 on commuting.

260 is not far from 188.

Then theres the lost earnings used during those now uncounted years spent learning.

I used €400 as an example of 40 hours at €10 p/h that people would refuse to work for.

It seems like a lot of people are just sitting around expecting the same wages that were being paid during the "boom". That wont happen again, its an employers market, if you don't like that then find a new field to work in.

Works for me.

(the answer...not scoop)

I wish that was true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I've a mate who is currently applying for a minimum of three jobs a week, his got a degree, 5 years experience within the retail sector...only had 3 interviews in the last 6 months...

I think a lot of the problems are that there are a lot of people who have degree's or experience at a higher position and companys think they are too qualified.

I applied for a job, as a low level guy in a job, but the fact that it was a step down was a reason I'd reckon why I didn't get an interview. I have 6 years experience in the field, and despite it being like a til jockey job it pays more that my assistant manager job...

Completely different things. You don't hate the job, its the field you chose to work in. Just because the wages don't match your expectations isn't a reason to turn down the job and continue to sign on the dole in my opinion.

All it boils down to in my head is this :

Work for €500 a week while looking for a better paid job in the same field or
    Stay at home all week looking for a well paid job while receiving €188 a week from the dole.

Very simple reasoning in my mind.

By working for that wage you are allowing the employer to take advantage for you. You pay for the skill level and the skill level they require is someone with a PhD and experience so why accept the pay level of a university graduate with no experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ive been out of work for over a year until very recently, i managed to get myself a job.

I was applying for EVERY SINGLE JOB that i was suited for,some weeks i was applying for 10+ jobs. There are jobs out there but the problem is there are also hundreds of people applying for those jobs. I wanted to be working, i hated sitting at home all day looking at the same 4 walls. I would estimate i applied for over 100 jobs and managed to get 3 interviews, that is the stark reality of the situation in this country.

Obviously there are people taking the piss out of the system but there are a lot more genuine people like myself using it aswell. Nobody in this country wants to live on €188 a week, its just not feasible with the price of rent, petrol and other necessities. There were some weeks where after bills i was left with €10/€20 a week to get food for the week. The people who are happy on the dole have plenty of side scams ensuring they receive a lot of money from other methods.

Pretty similar boat myself since college but not much luck after interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

So if you got a job on a farm, what skills could you bring to the table?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Because its a job.

Why should someone accept the job because its a job? Should they not accept a job that fills their need?

By working for that wage you are allowing the employer to take advantage for you. You pay for the skill level and the skill level they require is someone with a PhD and experience so why accept the pay level of a university graduate with no experienced?

Because its a job that enables me to stop signing on the dole, it gets my mind active and gets me out of the house. Those are things that would make me happy.

However, each to their own, you're obviously happy to sit on the dole just hoping that 35-40k job will just fall into your lap. You are no better than the people who sit at home drinking and smoking their dole away.

Take the lower paid job while looking for a higher paid one, who knows, maybe if you prove yourself to be worth more money you will get a raise.

Why should someone accept the job because its a job? Should they not accept a job that fills their need?

In the current climate, absolutely not. Especially if you are going to complain about the lack of jobs and the "scumbags" taking advantage of the social welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I was made redundant in 2009, as you can see from my username I'm in construction, it's absolutely dire job-wise and has had about 70 or so during months of contraction. I was in my late 30's, chartered professional with several post-grads and about 20 years experience.

I'm on job number 5 at the moment, some have been 6 month contracts, some week-to-week, not knowing what lies around the corner, some have been near entry level and I've had to swallow my pride. I now work for a company who are thankfully busy and looking good for the foreseeable future.

I would say people genuinely looking for work will find it. Even if it means getting the dreaded internship, which I am in two minds about, I would say never leave any stone unturned. I was accepted for an internship, it would have been a killer, but I was hoping it might lead to something else. An ex-work colleague took one and is now employed full time nearly 3 years later.

It's surely tough out there in some industries, but keep looking, network and don't be afraid to pull contacts or approach people directly about jobs.

In the current climate, absolutely not. Especially if you are going to complain about the lack of jobs and the "scumbags" taking advantage of the social welfare system.

So someone should take the job because its a job. Are they not allowed to find a job that fits their needs?
    Because its a job that enables me to stop signing on the dole, it gets my mind active and gets me out of the house. Those are things that would make me happy.

However, each to their own, you're obviously happy to sit on the dole just hoping that 35-40k job will just fall into your lap. You are no better than the people who sit at home drinking and smoking their dole away.

Take the lower paid job while looking for a higher paid one, who knows, maybe if you prove yourself to be worth more money you will get a raise.

Like I said employers should pay for the skill level. Why should employers be allowed to underpay. You what someone who is highly skill expect to pay.
    Where did I say I was happy to sit at home?
    More foolish to take a job just because its a job.

• Advertisement

So if you got a job on a farm, what skills could you bring to the table?

I could calculate the volume of a container, multiply the number of pigs by their dimensions and predict if they'll fit in a pig-pen.

Tell Cleatus the atomic value of methane.

Advertisement