Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Jester252 wrote: »
    Why should someone accept the job because its a job? Should they not accept a job that fills their need?

Because if they accept that job, they'll have an income and occupation until they find a job that fills their needs.

So someone should take the job because its a job. Are they not allowed to find a job that fits their needs?

Who says you aren't?
    You seem to be seriously confusing this job with a marriage now - if you take the job, you can still keep looking for a better one. But while you're looking, you'd be in employment and not on the dole.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

So someone should take the job because its a job. Are they not allowed to find a job that fits their needs?

Like I said employers should pay for the skill level. Why should employers be allowed to underpay. You what someone who is highly skill expect to pay.
    Where did I say I was happy to sit at home?
    More foolish to take a job just because its a job.

More foolish for an employeer to employ someone completely overqualified for the job and pay them more than the going rate which would eat into their profit margins if they could fill the job with somone willing to work for minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Shenshen wrote: »
    Who says you aren't?
    You seem to be seriously confusing this job with a marriage now - if you take the job, you can still keep looking for a better one. But while you're looking, you'd be in employment and not on the dole.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious?

You shouldn't jump on the first job you see especially if you not happy with it.

You shouldn't jump on the first job you see especially if you not happy with it.

Wow.... well, good luck in your professional life.

I've got a university degree, but that hasn't stopped me from taking work in call centres or as cleaning woman while I was looking for a suitable job. I figured any employment was better than no employment, but you seem to think that is wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I used €400 as an example of 40 hours at €10 p/h that people would refuse to work for.

It seems like a lot of people are just sitting around expecting the same wages that were being paid during the "boom". That wont happen again, its an employers market, if you don't like that then find a new field to work in.
    cant get a €8.65 per hour job let alone a €10 per hour one, i,d have no problem working for either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So how long do you stay unemployed before taking a job you dont like? Have you family to support if you dont mind me asking?

cant get a €8.65 per hour job let alone a €10 per hour one, i,d have no problem working for either

I was the same for a long time, just keep applying and something will come up. Try all the usual shops who will be hiring for christmas. Penneys, Dunnes, Tesco etc. Its not much but at least its an income for a few months and if you impress you could get kept on.

Wow.... well, good luck in your professional life.

I've got a university degree, but that hasn't stopped me from taking work in call centres or as cleaning woman while I was looking for a suitable job. I figured any employment was better than no employment, but you seem to think that is wrong?

And those jobs you took because they fill your want for employment. Nobody should take a job that they are not happy with. They aren't going to work well because they are not satisfied. Also they are taking the job away from someone else whos needs are fulfilled by the job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

and the nail on the read of why figures are so high.

celtic tiger mentality through and through

sickening really

• Advertisement

And those jobs you took because they fill your want for employment. Nobody should take a job that they are not happy with. They aren't going to work well because they are not satisfied. Also they are taking the job away from someone else whos needs are fulfilled by the job.

They wont work well? Im calling bull on that for a start. I have worked some horrible jobs in my time, i absolutely despised them but i still gave 100% every day because i had a family to support and you can do that much better when in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

As I see it there are a few things affecting the job market at the moment.

Demand is so high that employers can pay less and therefore reduce the value of the labour market, i.e almost all retail jobs now start at €8.65. Another example is in the skilled sector you will see many jobs like... Senior Mechanical Engineer €45k 10+ years of experience. What an absolute joke that is!! (4 year degree + 10yr experience)

As for rural residents saying 'there are no jobs' & giving out about urban areas 'having all the jobs'. Well of course there isn't any jobs there, its rural for a reason.

We have this 'V' shaped job market at the moment. Young students with a part-time jobs and skilled professionals in multinationals/large companies. These people have the disposable income to spend which creates jobs in urban areas.

and the nail on the read of why figures are so high.

celtic tiger mentality through and through

sickening really

I absolutely agree with this, sitting around waiting for the wages from the Boom times to come back, its not going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

gs39t wrote: »
    So after the boom 10%~ of the working population just suddenly decided they didn't like working anymore?
    Do you have trouble reading? No, they just want to work at jobs that they like, but they can't get those jobs, so don't bother at all and live off welfare.

*lol

Ok, I'm now beginning to suspect you are trolling.
    "Nobody should take a job they are not happy with"? How many cleaning ladies do you think find fulfilment in scrubbing toilets?

The reason they do it is because it brings in money, and they don't have to collect the dole. Believe it or not, there are people out there who would consider it shameful to collect benefits when they could be working instead.

So how long do you stay unemployed before taking a job you dont like? Have you family to support if you dont mind me asking?

If the job doesn't fill your needs at the time why take it? Why take a job that you don't want in the off change that you might be able to apply for the job you want. Other people might want that job and would love to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're over-qualified for a position, it just means you ****ed up your application. Downplay a former job on your CV to have it match the one you're applying for, leave a gap and say you went travelling etc.

Jester252, feel free to turn your nose up at things you think you're over-qualified for / that don't pay enough but, in the interests of fairness don't you think you should sign off the dole? Since you know, the people working in those jobs you're too good for are paying for it?

If the job doesn't fill your needs at the time why take it? Why take a job that you don't want in the off change that you might be able to apply for the job you want. Other people might want that job and would love to have it.

If you've got enough savings or other income so you don't need to work, I would actually agree with you.

If however you simply stay on the dole and collect your wages from everybody who currently is in employment, I would say that this is a very poor attitude indeed.

*lol

Ok, I'm now beginning to suspect you are trolling.
    "Nobody should take a job they are not happy with"? How many cleaning ladies do you think find fulfilment in scrubbing toilets?

The reason they do it is because it brings in money, and they don't have to collect the dole. Believe it or not, there are people out there who would consider it shameful to collect benefits when they could be working instead.

That job fulfilled your needs. You needed money and you didn't want to collect the dole. If you had won the lotto would you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Cheers Vinz, its getting tougher everyday in my case , i thought i did the right thing years back by getting a trade, doing good work and working hard but as we now know that went tits up. Since 2008 i,ve done courses, jobs clubs, kickstart (local programme giving me a chance to gain work experience all unpaid) and i have found work but they have been short contracts. i only get €188 per week and €20 fuel allowance during the winter months. I honestly cant see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment, so hard to stay positive when the outlook is grim.

• Advertisement

That job fulfilled your needs. You needed money and you didn't want to collect the dole. If you had won the lotto would you do it?

So you're saying that essentially, you've got too much money anyway?

If its a job in the field i chose then why would i not want it?????? Because it doesnt pay enough? No, that excuse would never wash with me im afraid.

Job in my field earning 24k > The dole.

How are you not getting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was out of work for about a year. I was applying for jobs every week but must admit I did pick and chose a small bit. I'm an electrician by trade and wanted to stay at that.

After that initial 11/12 months I said f it I need to do something so I applied for college. I'm just about to start my 2nd year, started a part time job about 6 week's ago too so hopefully I'm back on the right track :)

I was out of work for about a year. I was applying for jobs every week but must admit I did pick and chose a small bit. I'm an electrician by trade and wanted to stay at that.

After that initial 11/12 months I said f it I need to do something so I applied for college. I'm just about to start my 2nd year, started a part time job about 6 week's ago too so hopefully I'm back on the right track :)

This is what a lot of people(jester) need to do. The good days aren't coming back anytime soon and to be waiting for them is just stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

This is what a lot of people(jester) need to do. The good days aren't coming back anytime soon and to be waiting for them is just stupidity.

I stupidly thought it would be back, that my old boss would ring me up some day offering me my job back... Not a hope. I felt like a complete waster in that year but now, now I feel great :) lots to look forward to

So you're saying that essentially, you've got too much money anyway?

No I would kill for any job. I applied for part time work as a groundskeeper for the local area but was told that I was not unemployed long enough. They are still looking for people.
    If its a job in the field i chose then why would i not want it?????? Because it doesnt pay enough? No, that excuse would never wash with me im afraid.

Job in my field earning 24k > The dole.

How are you not getting this?

How are you not getting that somebody shouldn't take a job that they are not happy with because its a job?
    I would kill for a job like that but that my personal needs. You can say someone should take it and find another job but what if they is no other job or they can't get time off for the interview? Why put yourself in a place where your not happy? There is more to a job than money.

I stupidly thought it would be back, that my old boss would ring me up some day offering me my job back... Not a hope. I felt like a complete waster in that year but now, now I feel great :) lots to look forward to

People get stuck in a rut when they are out of work, i know all about it. Its so refreshing to be leaving the house every morning knowing that you are going to actually do something.

How are you not getting that somebody shouldn't take a job that they are not happy with because its a job?
    I would kill for a job like that but that my personal needs. You can say someone should take it and find another job but what if they is no other job or they can't get time off for the interview? Why put yourself in a place where your not happy? There is more to a job than money.

What prevents you from being happy in a job that you chose yourself? You chose to go to college for years to be involved in that area, you have worked in that area previously(I assume). The only thing i can see preventing you from being happy with the job you mentioned is the wages are too low for you and you expect higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Look, I agree with you in the sense that people shouldn't be prepared to be exploited or have their trade utterly debased but from a realistic, personal point of view sometimes you have to work outside of your chosen skillset or work for less than your skills may be worth. Your alternatives are 1) sit on your arse wasting away 2) emigrate and find work where you can. In the meantime, I'd much rather prefer to be working.

I worked as a bouncer after leaving college, turfing p*ssheads out of a nightclub and rowing every weekend wasn't at all related to my degree but it was a job, and one that paid money and gave me my own sense of independence and self-worth. When I moved to London I worked for a year and a half in bars while I pursued an internship which led to me finally gaining a decent position. If I had come straight out of college and said "I'm not accepting anything below..." I doubt I'd have got where I am today.

In other words, work is work and I'd sooner be pulling pints or mixing cement than scratching my arse at home watching Jeremy Kyle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Plenty of work out there. I know a couple of fellas really struggling to find workers. People say they want jobs, but people willing to work is a different thing entirely it seems.

Plenty of employers trying to take advantage of this aswell by offering minimum wage for longer hours with more responsibilities.

Advertisement