Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs out there.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've gotten a couple of interviews....

That's about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Jester252 wrote: »
    No I would kill for any job. I applied for part time work as a groundskeeper for the local area but was told that I was not unemployed long enough. They are still looking for people.

How are you not getting that somebody shouldn't take a job that they are not happy with because its a job?
    I would kill for a job like that but that my personal needs. You can say someone should take it and find another job but what if they is no other job or they can't get time off for the interview? Why put yourself in a place where your not happy? There is more to a job than money.

Ok, if I may summarise?

You're in desperate need of a job.
    You see a job, in your chosen field, requiring your qualifications, but because the pay isn't enough, you decide not to even apply.
    Instead (I assume), you keep collecting the dole.

Because - and this is the bit I'm frankly having some trouble with - nobody should take a job they're not happy with, and there's more to a job than just the money (money which according to you was the reason you didn't go for the job in the first place)?
    But you are quite happy for other people to work in jobs they don't particularly like, pay their taxes and thereby indirectly support your struggle to find a job that will make you happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Eight Ball wrote: »
    In certain sectors yes but overall things are as bad as ever. A lot of the jobs are very low pay and jobslave schemes not worth the bother.

So yes....there are jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What prevents you from being happy in a job that you chose yourself? You chose to go to college for years to be involved in that area, you have worked in that area previously(I assume). The only thing i can see preventing you from being happy with the job you mentioned is the wages are too low for you and you expect higher.

Which make you feel under appreciated, especially when other with lower/equal skill level are earning more. If your not happy in the job where you spend around 40 hours, regardless of the area, your not going to be a happy person. Why should someone make themselves unhappy? You shouldn't play your mental health against money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Which make you feel under appreciated, especially when other with lower/equal skill level are earning more. If your not happy in the job where you spend around 40 hours, regardless of the area, your not going to be a happy person. Why should someone make themselves unhappy? You shouldn't play your mental health against money

So you think sitting at home every day drawing the dole is good for your mental health?

• Advertisement

If you need to feel fully appreciated in your job and the knowledge that there aren't others with lower skills earning more than you in order for you to be happy, I would advise you to prepare yourself for a lifetime of unhappiness.

Its all about Location Location Location.

Stuff all work unless you live Dublin or Cork, and what work is available is mostly part time or low paid which means people have to claim Family Income Supplement welfare payments.

Now theres ton of work on SlaveBridge, shockingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

kennryyr wrote: »
    There are a lot of jobs out there, if you're in anyway NOT a retard you will get one.

What kind of a fcukin moron are you??

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, if I may summarise?

You're in desperate need of a job.
    You see a job, in your chosen field, requiring your qualifications, but because the pay isn't enough, you decide not to even apply.
    Instead (I assume), you keep collecting the dole.

Because - and this is the bit I'm frankly having some trouble with - nobody should take a job they're not happy with, and there's more to a job than just the money (money which according to you was the reason you didn't go for the job in the first place)?
    But you are quite happy for other people to work in jobs they don't particularly like, pay their taxes and thereby indirectly support your struggle to find a job that will make you happy?

Where did the desperate part come in?
    The pay was far below the industry standard. Like I said would you clean toilets if you won the lotto because its a job? If your not happy with a job for any reason you shouldn't be forced to take it. Like I said what about other who need the job and want the job? The dole is they for anyone to use including you. Where did I say I was happy to be on the dole? After a few months with no effort to find a job the dole should be cut. However nobody should not take a job that they are not happy with because it is a job.
    You may use your job as a cleaning lady as an example as a job that your not happy with but what did you need when you applied for it and what did you get?
    No point arguing with you anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

The pay was far below the industry standard. Like I said would you clean toilets if you won the lotto because its a job? If your not happy with a job for any reason you shouldn't be forced to take it. Like I said what about other who need the job and want the job? The dole is they for anyone to use including you. Where did I say I was happy to be on the dole? After a few months with no effort to find a job the dole should be cut. However nobody should not take a job that they are not happy with because it is a job.
    You may use your job as a cleaning lady as an example as a job that your not happy with but what did you need when you applied for it and what did you get?

I feel that people turning down a job should have the same thing happen to them. Turning down €500 a week in favour of €188 a week is insanity in anyones mind. But you're obviously happy with the life you lead on the dole so more power to you.

• Advertisement

I feel that people turning down a job should have the same thing happen to them. Turning down €500 a week in favour of €188 a week is insanity in anyones mind. But you're obviously happy with the life you lead on the dole so more power to you.

Where did I say I was on the dole? Try not infer thing about me.

Your own words... "desperate enough to apply for a job as a groundskeeper"
    No point arguing with you anymore.

I would have to disagree. The dole is there for people who lost their job to tide them over until they can find other employment.
    It's not meant to sustain you while you look for your dream job.
    And I don't for one moment buy that you didn't apply because someone else might need the job and you felt you'd be taking it away from them.

I think the main difference between us is that I felt guilty taking money from the state when there were jobs out there I could do to earn my own keep, whereas you feel perfectly entitled to reach into other people's pockets.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Your own words... "desperate enough to apply for a job as a groundskeeper"

That me not the guy who was looking at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Thread went maybe a bit off track.

I was thinking more along the lines of do you know people who just use the unemployment problems in the country as a cover.

People who are secretly happy to be on the scratch....while saying 'god isnt it terrible father' Id kill for a job, but Ill just have to get through it I suppose.

....crate of miller please, its past my bedtime.

yeah awful it is ..awful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is plenty of jobs out their but to many people are to lazy to get up of their arses and take work. They prefer to live of taxpayers money and hopefully social welfare budget will be slashed in the budget. A joke that taxpayers have to pay for people doing SFA and many other things is such as people having children.

Elbaston wrote: »
    Thread went maybe a bit off track.

I was thinking more along the lines of do you know people who just use the unemployment problems in the country as a cover.

People who are secretly happy to be on the scratch....while saying 'god isnt it terrible father' Id kill for a job, but Ill just have to get through it I suppose.

....crate of miller please, its past my bedtime.

yeah awful it is ..awful

Well, now I do!

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

I can tell yo right now, If your in Limerick and have no degree or qualification there you wont get a job, Iv been actively looking since last july and you can apply for the same job 3 or 4 times and you wont even get a phone call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is plenty of jobs out their but to many people are to lazy to get up of their arses and take work. They prefer to live of taxpayers money and hopefully social welfare budget will be slashed in the budget. A joke that taxpayers have to pay for people doing SFA and many other things is such as people having children.

Could you generalise a bit more? :rolleyes:

If you lost your job (presuming you have one) you might take a different perspective on things.

Also getting quite tired of people lazily telling us "..there's plenty of jobs out there" as if all it required was calling someone up or walking into an office and handing in your cv and being given an immediate start.

If that's all it took those who spend their days trawling job sites and calling up recruitment agencies and emailing their cvs to as many companies as possible wouldn't need to try very hard would they?

Jobs are out there. Employer just whats people with experience and 3 level degree for an entry level job. Most minimum wage job is now part of the Job Bridge. That just requires you to be on the dole for 3 months and work for €50 a week. Other jobs require to know someone in the company.

This is the most anyone needs to know, hits the nail on the head.

Jobridge has ruined everything, Im in college I get a **** grant something like 120/month and It is impossible to get a job because all the jobs I can do are now been taken over by that scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

If you want a job you'll find one!

I thought that aswell untill i became unemployed :(

• Advertisement

panama wrote: »
    Could you generalise a bit more? :rolleyes:

If you lost your job (presuming you have one) you might take a different perspective on things.

Also getting quite tired of people lazily telling us "..there's plenty of jobs out there" as if all it required was calling someone up or walking into an office and handing in your cv and being given an immediate start.

I could indeed, Dublin people on welfare are the worst for not being bothered to take jobs. There is lots of jobs in Dublin but people don't want them. Dublin has the lowest unemployment.

Limierick and Waterfrod are the only places that their are no jobs and both have the highest level of unemployment.

If I was in Government, for every job refused €10 taken away, people wouldn't be long taking up work them.

Getting to much of an easy ride, if your on the social you get everything free unlike the average taxpayer who has to pay for you and everything for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I am fortunate enough to be employed and in IT, which is still strong, so I can't really comment.

I do know that friends of mine who lost jobs or were out of work have all found something, but not necessarily a good something.

I could indeed, Dublin people on welfare are the worst for not being bothered to take jobs. There is lots of jobs in Dublin but people don't want them. Dublin has the lowest unemployment.

Limierick and Waterfrod are the only places that their are no jobs and both have the highest level of unemployment.

If I was in Government, for every job refused €10 taken away, people wouldn't be long taking up work them.

Getting to much of an easy ride, if your on the social you get everything free unlike the average taxpayer who has to pay for you and everything for themselves.

I am In Limerick and I was looking up the job situation online in Dublin on jobs.ie etc. And there does seem to be quite a lot of jobs for the unskilled aswell as degree holders and such.

So that 10quid idea is good, people are lazy ***** too but in Limerick there is nada I wouldnt even waste paper printing cvs anymore

I could indeed, Dublin people on welfare are the worst for not being bothered to take jobs. There is lots of jobs in Dublin but people don't want them.

Someone please mute this troll. :rolleyes:

By the way it's "you're" not 'your'.

nothing better to come up with?

If I opened a business tomorrow and had a mix of skilled and un skilled jobs, lets say 500.

One could guarantee that 60-70% would be non Irish people who want the jobs and are willing to work weather its good or bad job.

Irish people think they are above everybody else when it comes to jobs but then when non Irish take the jobs they are always complaining. Make your minds up as you can't have it both ways.

Do you work Panama?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dilly.

Can you please enlighten me what exactly you can get "free" if you have just become unemployed within the last few months? I'd really love to know!

jay92 wrote: »
    Do you work Panama?

Why is that relevant?

Why is that relevant?

Because you seem to know so much about employment, If you do work I suggest you shut the **** up because you dont know jack **** about job hunting in Ireland and how hard it is.

And if you do work then fair play but take your head from your ass and look around...THERE ARE NO JOBS !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

kennryyr wrote: »
    There are a lot of jobs out there, if you're in anyway NOT a retard you will get one.

are you a job seeker yourself ?
    there are only small number of jobs out there. i have emigrated from this country twice to find work. i am currently working in Ireland now. i had a contact who got me the job. you have to be very lucky to find a job with decent pay in this county.
    working people seem to have this cocky attitude. its only when they are kicked out the door and onto the socials doorstep that they wake up and smell the coffee.
    I personally would not look down on people on the dole in this country at the moment. there are obviously some people who take advantage but the majority of people want to work.

Advertisement