Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does racism automatically make someone a bad person?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

allibastor wrote: »
    I was answering a question posted about does being rascist make you a bad person. if I wante dto blow my own trumpet I would have gone to great lenghts to do so. I was speaking more on the comments that having rasicts sayings or what not automatically makes you ignorant.

You're conflating badness with ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some of the most right-on drum circlers i've met have also been the most awful people i've met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Leftist wrote: »
    this is made up rubbish.

No actually, it wasnt. I can pass you along his name and number if you wish. it caused huge problems in his house as he is the eldest son and was told he would be left out of the family business. I have known this guy for going on 10 years and he is not what you would call a traditional Muslim. his family are though.

9959 wrote: »
    You're conflating badness with ignorance.[/QUOTE

explain further pleasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Leftist wrote: »
    this is made up rubbish.

I worked with a nice Muslim chap years ago...
    He told me that the reason that I didn't love my family enough was because I ate pork... that eating pork makes you hard hearted and makes you care less about your family...
    Pretty much Verbatim "... I know I'm not a very good Muslim, I drink and I smoke and I have sex with my girlfriend but I love my sister so if I thought she had sex with some guy I would beat her..." but I wouldn't have because I didn't care about my sisters because I ate pork.
    He was otherwise a nice guy... well except for his views on Jews...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ha, i understand your point.

A question, do you know many muslims living here? I do know a good few of them, mostly they dont intergrate with irish because they fidn our values offensive. A food friend of mine who was going out with an irish girl at the time was told by his father to " use her for your pleasure, but take it no more than that, you can not marry a girl like this as you would shame us"
    A good lot of the time the clash of ideals and values brings out more problems than anythign else, and alot of the time the smaller groups think we all should adapt to them, and not the other way around.

I know a few and one of my close friends is one. Theyve integrated well because they grew up here. 2 i know have a thick bogger accent (which is brilliant when you see the faces on some people when they start talking:pac:). Most i know drink and wouldnt follow any of the traditions apart from ramadan. none i know were a burka or anything of the kind.

Their parents can be quite conservative about relationships with non-muslims including the whole shame on the family thing. but then again id probably recieve the same lecture from some of my family if i was in a relationship with a muslim, none of them would be the women as second class citizen types though

People need to stop giving idiots like abu Hamza and the BNP/EDL types attention who want to enforce their ****ed up values people on everyone else as these ****ers help fuel extremism

NTMK wrote: »
    I know a few and one of my close friends is one. Theyve integrated well because they grew up here. 2 i know have a thick bogger accent (which is brilliant when you see the faces on some people when they start talking:pac:). Most i know drink and wouldnt follow any of the traditions apart from ramadan. none i know were a burka or anything of the kind.

Their parents can be quite conservative about relationships with non-muslims including the whole shame on the family thing. but then again id probably recieve the same lecture from some of my family if i was in a relationship with a muslim, none of them would be the women as second class citizen types though

People need to stop giving idiots like abu Hamza and the BNP/EDL types attention who want to enforce their ****ed up values people on everyone else as these ****ers help fuel extremism

I agree with you fully dude, I dont think the mass of extremists are good for anyone.
    My poiunt on it though was that not everyone is an extremist, but some views and values are hard to ignore and do cause clashes on smaller, hopefully less violent ways.

My Muslim friend also smoked very much, I dont smoke at all but any time we were together and his fmaily came along he would blame the smell of smoke on me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

No actually, it wasnt. I can pass you along his name and number if you wish. it caused huge problems in his house as he is the eldest son and was told he would be left out of the family business. I have known this guy for going on 10 years and he is not what you would call a traditional Muslim. his family are though.
    kiffer wrote: »
    I worked with a nice Muslim chap years ago...
    He told me that the reason that I didn't love my family enough was because I ate pork... that eating pork makes you hard hearted and makes you care less about your family...

Considering the hardline Catholic stereotypes about the Irish, that very few on here would seem to identify with personally, we should probably lay off doing the same thing for "the Muslims" based on a few one-off experiences with the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

9959 wrote: »
    You're conflating badness with ignorance.[/QUOTE

explain further pleasse.

The thread title reads: Does racism automatically make someone a bad person?

Not ignorant, not unintelligent, but bad.
    For some strange reason you brought your 'intelligence test' into the equation, perhaps as verification of your non-ignorance, maybe you could explain further please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Push Pop

Can I make something clear, I don't have an issue with immigration as a whole but the main issue here is that it is occurring at too large of a scale at the moment. If people want to travel to England, Ireland etc. and work hard, get a job and contribute to society I don't have an issue with that, but unfortunately there is an exorbitant amount of migrants who survive solely on government handouts and refuse to find work which is a lose-lose situation for all. I realise this is not an issue that is exclusive to migrants, but in my opinion original citizens should come first and migrants shouldn't be supported on the scale that they are.

Absolute nail on the head right there. It's airhead liberals who refuse to see this and allow the abuses to happen. Boards.ie is over run with these types and luckily in real life, the silent majority would agree with your post. Its nothing to do with ethnicity or skin pigmentation but moreso the developing world attitudes to civility, education, crime, sexual orientation and women that isnt acceptable in the developed world. Ironically I see in some areas, there has been so much immigration that they have recreated the same terrible conditions that they have tried to escape from in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Push Pop wrote: »
    Absolute nail on the head right there. It's airhead liberals who refuse to see this and allow the abuses to happen. Boards.ie is over run with these types and luckily in real life, the silent majority would agree with your post. Its nothing to do with ethnicity or skin pigmentation but moreso the developing world attitudes to civility, education, crime, sexual orientation and women that isnt acceptable in the developed world. Ironically I see in some areas, there has been so much immigration that they have recreated the same terrible conditions that they have tried to escape from in the first place.

....what areas?

Nodin wrote: »
    ....what areas?

Hispanics in California so much so whole cities have become majority Hispanic. Brutal gang wars in mexico have spilled over into the USA coupled with low academic achievement, reliance on government assistance and general crime. The normal innocent inmigrants get caught up in this even though they have fled their original country to escape these conditions. Then unfortunately, they all get tarred with the same brush.

Hispanics in California so much so whole cities have become majority Hispanic. Brutal gang wars in mexico have spilled over into the USA coupled with low academic achievement, reliance on government assistance and general crime. The normal innocent inmigrants get caught up in this even though they have fled their original country to escape these conditions. Then unfortunately, they all get tarred with the same brush.

O look, regurgitated generalised crap. I was unaware that Hispanic culture(s) was pro-crime, uncivil and anti-education. You've some evidence for this?

.......You know that California was part of Mexico until a century ago?

There's been no real spill over into America via the Drug wars.

I'll want stats on the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Don't go bending over backwards for nodin. He can ask for plenty of info but isn't too fond of answering questions himself.

woodoo wrote: »
    Don't go bending over backwards for nodin. He can ask for plenty of info but isn't too fond of answering questions himself.

Really....you've examples of this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'd like to start off this post by saying that I have no racist views whatsoever. However, I have got close friends and members of my family that would hold views like these, but yet are all really nice good people. Can the two be compatible? I'm torn, as I obviously get on very well with them as they're close friends, but I do feel very uncomfortable when they come out saying racist things, particularly in reference to Africans and the use of the 'N' word. What do the rest of you think about this?

I stereotype - it's just quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The family can exert a lot of pressure on their children regarding who they should marry.

Perhaps this is an issue for the west to consider before we let more and more people from these cultures into Europe.

http://themuslimissue.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/psychologist-serious-consequences-of-muslim-inbreeding/

I've found that and thanks for the advice. Thankfully, in real life, those that ridiculously on the left are not listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I've found that and thanks for the advice. Thankfully, in real life, those that ridiculously on the left are not listened to.

And those on the right. Extremist hardline leftwingers and rightwingers are thankfully rarely listened to but the few times they were, we got the likes of Hitler and Stalin.

There are good aspects of left and right ideologies and it is better to be in the centre, centre right or left of centre. Extreme rightwing ideology (commonly known as fascism) means that the state, banks and big business are one and the same and will crush anything or anyone who does not go along with that. Extreme leftwing ideology (formerly known as Soviet-styled communism) means that the state takes over the assets of big business people and appoints loyalists to them to control these businesses. Both sound the same. Both ARE the same.

Another example: Communist Russian dictator Joseph Stalin took over and collectivised all big landholdings in the 1920s. Who was his role model? Karl Marx? No! How about the medieval capitalist king of England then, Henry VIII.

Stalin needed money to make Russia rich (WW1 and the 1917 revolution impoverished it) and saw rich pickings in taking land and assets off big business in the hands of Tsarists. Henry VIII came to power with his country also feeling the strains from past wars (War of the Roses fought by preceding kings incl. his father Henry VII) and the huge assets of the monasteries and Catholic clergy (now seen as a convenient and megarich enemy after he got besotted with Anne Boleyn) were a way of making his country rich without taxing the people more.

And of course Hitler and his Nazis went after the Jews because they were rich. They robbed art and gold from anywhere they could.

So, capitalism and communism are really very similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A great case for anarchy that.⇧⇧⇧⇧

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Right ridicule is not understood, please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ironically, I've read the same puerile rhetoric in Japan. One of the right wing mayors claiming that us foreigners were pushing up crime stats, unsociable behaviour, bringing diseases etc etc.

I'd rather be an airhead liberal than a squarehead visceral.

The family can .................../

Why not drop the soap-boxing and address the question put to you? You made accusation against me, please have the testicular fortitude to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lemons9s

Nodin wrote: »
    O look, regurgitated generalised crap. I was unaware that Hispanic culture(s) was pro-crime, uncivil and anti-education. You've some evidence for this?

.......You know that California was part of Mexico until a century ago?

There's been no real spill over into America via the Drug wars.

I'll want stats on the rest.

Spent some time living there and hate to say it but it's true. According to the FBI 95% of wanted murderers in LA are illegals, 53% of burglaries are committed by illegals, the list goes on.

Also... "The U.S. Department of Justice has reported that Mexican drug cartels have gang members in nearly 200 U.S. cities from Los Angeles to Baltimore and represent the “largest threat to both citizens and law enforcement agencies in this country"

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/1738432/posts

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/18328/mexicos-drug-war-effects-us-as-well/p2

Advertisement