Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does racism automatically make someone a bad person?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

we must be very racist up north then , with our catholic and protestant schools and little interaction with the unionist/protestant poeple and the other way round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

''I'm not racist but I hate.........''

Thats such a Irish racist thing to say I think.

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

I'm always fearful but I don't get angry much. Am I a racist but a docile one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think Irelamd has a issue with racism because the only coloured people we ae genreally exposed to is refugees the majority being economic refugees.
    We experience few doctors, solicitors, engineers, etc

If we had more coloured professionals we wouldn't have an issue but the fact is our exposure is due to social welfare burdens( not a PC comment, but a statement based in enviormentsl observations )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ted1 wrote: »
    I think Irelamd has a issue with racism because the only coloured people we ae genreally exposed to is refugees the majority being economic refugees.
    We experience few doctors, solicitors, engineers, etc

If we had more coloured professionals we wouldn't have an issue but the fact is our exposure is due to social welfare burdens( not a PC comment, but a statement based in enviormentsl observations )

You haven't been in a hospital recently have you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

This is a hard one. As an African, I tend to automatically write off people I meet who I deem racist so I never really get the chance to find out if there is more to them than their nasty views. And here I am not talking about tasteless racist jokes that are not meant to harm but I mean people who are truly racist. On the other hand, I have friends and family who have some racist views without being 'bad' people per se, so I guess that being racist doesn't necessarily make someone a bad person.

wexie wrote: »
    You haven't been in a hospital recently have you?

Fair enough , glad you found one word to highlight on black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Links234 wrote: »
    ah, but fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred ;)

Lol this is pointless, if ye really think hatred is a result of fear in all cases then there is no point discussing it.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    , so I guess that being racist doesn't necessarily make someone a bad person.
    No but I do have great pity for them

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

dirtyden wrote: »
    Do you not see any juxtaposition between this and your original post?

I don't follow? What I meant is that people were mentioning background and upbringing, so I was merely wondering whether there might be any correlation between a rural upbringing, which many would see as socially conservative, and say a city upbringing (which I didn't have, btw), which may be more diverse. Obviously not suggesting that rural people and racism go hand in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I don't follow? What I meant is that people were mentioning background and upbringing, so I was merely wondering whether there might be any correlation between a rural upbringing, which many would see as socially conservative, and say a city upbringing (which I didn't have, btw), which may be more diverse. Obviously not suggesting that rural people and racism go hand in hand.

Well it seemed like you indicated that your friend was most likely a racist because he was a culchie. I mean that is pretty much exactly what you said in your post but dressed it up as a rhetorical question. That kind of broad brush stroke stereotyping is not a million miles away from racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

we must be very racist up north then , with our catholic and protestant schools and little interaction with the unionist/protestant poeple and the other way round

Technically there are no protestant schools, only catholic and stAte schools. The sooner integrated schools in Northern Ireland becomes the norm even through extortion and blackmail the better.

Good thread actually re racism. I wld hv to say that being racist doesn't necessarily make you a bad person. But often it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

raah! wrote: »
    It makes them neither automatically bad nor automatically ignorant.

I'd be inclined to say it does make them at least one or the other. Presume to start with we're leaving aside humour.

After that, if someone holds racist views because of a lack of exposure or education, I'd say they were ignorant.

If someone knows well that there is nothing inherently different about non-white/non-Irish people but choose to treat them worse, I would say they are 'bad people'.

Interested to hear how you have a third category…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Define what you mean by racism OP

yes , do , by some peoples definition , im racist against travellers for example , I despise them but I consider them 100% white irish so its complex

Henlars67 wrote: »
    No it isn't. There are a couple of people I really hate, hate so much that that if I heard they'd died I'd literally dance on their graves.

I'm not in any way afraid of them nor have I ever been.

ive only ever met on person who I truly hate and that is hard enough , takes a lot to hate someone

Well it seemed like you indicated that your friend was most likely a racist because he was a culchie. I mean that is pretty much exactly what you said in your post but dressed it up as a rhetorical question. That kind of broad brush stroke stereotyping is not a million miles away from racism.

I don't believe that his background makes him a racist though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I have a question for After hours

On average black people commit a much higher rate of crime than other races in north America, and scientific studies have shown that on average, regardless of environment, they score lower than other races by 15-20 points on IQ tests

Is it racist or otherwise immoral to point this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

green_bow wrote: »
    yes , do , by some peoples definition , im racist against travellers for example , I despise them but I consider them 100% white irish so its complex

Despising travellers doesn't make you racist. As you say they're white Irish like the majority of people in Ireland.

Do you despise all travellers? I only despise the ones I've met or had some sort of brief contact with.

I won't tar them all with the one brush, but I've yet to come across one who wasn't a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

whirlpool wrote: »
    Yes, it is. That's precisely what it is.

No, no it's not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

On average black people commit a much higher rate of crime than other races in north America, and scientific studies have shown that on average, regardless of environment, they score lower than other races by 15-20 points on IQ tests

My 2c... If it's a fact backed by science and studies then it's not racist but if you use it to promote an agenda or undermine people then yes it can be seen as racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its dangerous for a serious scientist to even mention it let alone initiate further studies on it. Pretty much everything out there is studied and dissected. But not race? What are they afraid of?

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Despising travellers doesn't make you racist. As you say they're white Irish like the majority of people in Ireland.

Do you despise all travellers? I only despise the ones I've met or had some sort of brief contact with.

I won't tar them all with the one brush, but I've yet to come across one who wasn't a scumbag.

I despise everything about their ( culture ) , carry on and mannerisms , im sure their are a small minority of individual travellers who are decent but sure you could say the same about those who were in hitlers army

I also hate how they are a sacred cow amongst middle class lefties

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I'd like to start off this post by saying that I have no racist views whatsoever. However, I have got close friends and members of my family that would hold views like these, but yet are all really nice good people. Can the two be compatible? I'm torn, as I obviously get on very well with them as they're close friends, but I do feel very uncomfortable when they come out saying racist things, particularly in reference to Africans and the use of the 'N' word. What do the rest of you think about this?

No, they are not necessarily bad people at all. They just hold different opinions and viewpoints to yours but who is to decide that they are wrong and you are right.

The trouble with the PC brigade is that everyone who disagrees with what they think is right is a racist, a bigot or something else. They like to portray themselves as modern and liberal but are they not just old fashioned dictators and the very opposite of what they claim to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

woodoo wrote: »
    What are they afraid of?
    Hurting people's feelings, and getting into trouble probably.

"Feels before reals" seems to be the motto of liberals and the like these days, and incorrect statements like "race is a social construct" are becoming more common sadly.

Not sure about the IQ thing at all. With regards to the crime issue, I would imagine that that has a lot to do with the fact that blacks traditionally (and still today) were far poorer than whites and so lived in more marginalised and deprived areas, which tends to correlate with high crime rates

woodoo wrote: »
    Its dangerous for a serious scientist to even mention it let alone initiate further studies on it. Pretty much everything out there is studied and dissected. But not race? What are they afraid of?

I seriously doubt black people are scientifically less intelligent but that's different in saying they might be less academic minded , Asians are more gifted in this area than whites

I'm originally from a rural area and lived in a different rural area for a time as well as in cities and towns, and there is definitely much more people with racist attitudes in the rural areas.

solas111 wrote: »
    No, they are not necessarily bad people at all. They just hold different opinions and viewpoints to yours but who is to decide that they are wrong and you are right.

The trouble with the PC brigade is that everyone who disagrees with what they think is right is a racist, a bigot or something else. They like to portray themselves as modern and liberal but are they not just old fashioned dictators and the very opposite of what they claim to be?

Well I'm pretty sure they're the ones in the wrong, they are the ones that hold ill feeling and even wishes towards people not because of who they are but because of what they are. I on the other hand, don't hold prejudice against any group and have a more live and let live approach to life. So I'm pretty sure that's a better way to be than racist. As for the second paragraph, I'm always wary when people mention PC brigade, so don't quite know what to say back to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Hurting people's feelings, and getting into trouble probably.

"Feels before reals" seems to be the motto of liberals and the like these days, and incorrect statements like "race is a social construct" are becoming more common sadly.

I was glad to see Richard Dawkins come out against the social construct theory. http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/8/9/calm-reflections-after-a-storm-in-a-teacup

• Advertisement

green_bow wrote: »
    I despise everything about their ( culture ) , carry on and mannerisms , im sure their are a small minority of individual travellers who are decent but sure you could say the same about those who were in hitlers army

I also hate how they are a sacred cow amongst middle class lefties

My mate always says, "let the do-gooders spend a weekend on the beer with a gang of them and then see what they think"

Advertisement