Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does racism automatically make someone a bad person?

Options
  • 11-08-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I'd like to start off this post by saying that I have no racist views whatsoever. However, I have got close friends and members of my family that would hold views like these, but yet are all really nice good people. Can the two be compatible? I'm torn, as I obviously get on very well with them as they're close friends, but I do feel very uncomfortable when they come out saying racist things, particularly in reference to Africans and the use of the 'N' word. What do the rest of you think about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I would assume them to be ignorant, rather than just a bad person

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Not necessarily but it says a lot about their levels of ingorance and tolerance if they are willing to single out a person or group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No but I actually die a little when I hear what I thought was such a good person come out with racist remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have mixed feelings on this - part of me says yes but then my Dad and Stepmother are racist (but they wouldnt admit to it) and my Mums friends who were like grandparents to me were racist too - I guess like links I think they were just ignorant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Links234 wrote: »
    I would assume them to be ignorant, rather than just a bad person
    Not necessarily but it says a lot about their levels of ingorance and tolerance if they are willing to single out a person or group

Yeah I'd think that as well to be honest. But one of these lads is in college at the moment, surely he would have more of a cop on at this stage I'd have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

My mother is the most racist women i have ever met, she keeps her views under wraps and would only say stuff like that in front of family members, shes the kindest women underneath it all but that doesnt make it right either, shes a flat out racist but shes me ma

Yeah I'd think that as well to be honest. But one of these lads is in college at the moment, surely he would have more of a cop on at this stage I'd have thought?

Yes but then he may have been educated in a very monocultural secondary school and come from a family that is very closed minded

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Racism is a fear, the same way any form of hatred is a fear. Unfortunately it's a fear that can end up causing hurt to others.

It depends on your personal definition of a "bad person."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Level of education is only part of it, environmental and social conditioning ie his family and upbringing etc, are more likely to shape his opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Define what you mean by racism OP

• Advertisement

Yes but then he may have been educated in a very monocultural secondary school and come from a family that is very closed minded

Well I went to school with him, an all boys school in a regional town in Munster. I wonder does the fact that he comes from a rural farming background have anything to do with it? Obviously not tarring all farmers or rural people with the same brush here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

My mother is the most racist women i have ever met, she keeps her views under wraps and would only say stuff like that in front of family members, shes the kindest women underneath it all but that doesnt make it right either, shes a flat out racist but shes me ma

Ever tell her you were going out with another race for the laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

whirlpool wrote: »
    Racism is a fear, the same way any form of hatred is a fear. Unfortunately it's a fear that can end up causing hurt to others.

It depends on your personal definition of a "bad person."

hatred is not fear.

Arawn wrote: »
    hatred is not fear.

But it can be based on fear

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hmmmm....I've had some South African colleagues over the years and some of my good friends are South African.
    The majority (all the ones I got along with) hadn't a racist bone in them, one of them had a best friend who was black and married his baby sister.

But bloody hell, some of the sayings they've come out with (most of them really funny but super non-pc). To me it was just a product of the environment they grew up in. Seems to be the same with a lot of the older generation Irish I've met.

Wouldn't necessarily say they're bad people, just uneducated and blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It makes them neither automatically bad nor automatically ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Not always, no. I know a few people who make racist remarks but are in general nice people.

It's just pure ignorance really, and having no real experience of life outside of the area they grew up and still live in, thought hat certainly doesn't excuse it. It's ingrained in a lot of Irish people to have an intense and irrational dislike of people who are different to them. The same people would make remarks about for example, a man with long hair, or multiple piercings

Like I said, it's pure ignorance.

hatred is not fear.

Yes, it is. That's precisely what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think Irish people are ignorant rather racist. The surburb where I live doesnt have any diversity except for a good few Church of Ireland families and everyone sends their children to private catholic schools(all white Irish catholics) and then onto college courses which are mainly white Irish. Even though there is large number of non nationals you can still have no connect with them in daily life and have no idea of their customs or culture. I didnt have a single non-national friend until I moved school this year and most of my friends wouldnt have either. Meaning a comment may seem racist is just ignorant

But it can be based on fear

Not even "based on." It is solely fear. It manifests itself in different ways, but it is fear.

• Advertisement

Define what you mean by racism OP

Discrimination against someone based on race, ethnicity, nationality, creed etc. Is the definition not fairly straightforward?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

An idiot,yes.
    A bad person,no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Discrimination against someone based on race, ethnicity, nationality, creed etc. Is the definition not fairly straightforward?:confused:
    You wouldn't believe how many different ways people interpret the word

Based on that, well I know there are differences in races but I wouldn't discriminate based on these. I'd only bring these differences up if it was relevant in a discussion or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Well I went to school with him, an all boys school in a regional town in Munster. I wonder does the fact that he comes from a rural farming background have anything to do with it? Obviously not tarring all farmers or rural people with the same brush here

Hello Alan Partridge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Nodin wrote: »
    Ever tell her you were going out with another race for the laugh?

I used to kinda joke that i go out and bring a coloured girl home at the weekend and she was just like yea right, Wish i did tho just to see my mams face at breakfast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No, It's not. All hatred is a form of fear is a stupid statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Do you not see any juxtaposition between this and your original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hatred is not fear.

ah, but fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

No it isn't. There are a couple of people I really hate, hate so much that that if I heard they'd died I'd literally dance on their graves.

I'm not in any way afraid of them nor have I ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

''I'm not racist but I hate.........''

Thats such an Irish thing to say I think.

Advertisement