Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It never fails to astound me how much snobbish value judgement is made between the often minuscule difference between goods from different supermarkets.

70% of our main grocery shopping is split between Aldi and Lidl, with the remainder in Tesco and three local wholesalers (Meat, Veg and Oriental) and we eat very well and have home cooked, healthy family meals every day.

Superquiinn sausage fetishism is always a good moron detection device: they're primary a badge of nostalgic, supposed class affinity rather than something you can find (that are just as good or better) for far cheaper elsewhere. It's like a domestic version of the mongs that get Tayto, Erin Soup, Lyons Tea and Calvita shipped over to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Moved away now, but still miss Superquinn here in England.

I suppose it is what you are used to, but I don't think English bread is a patch on what I could get at home, especially a batch loaf or Superquinns fresh turnovers.

I still remember the aromas of bakery goods teasing me early morning as I walked to school in Lucan.

I have always liked Superquinn and in particular the effort it put into the visual aspect of the store, yes you don't need it, yes there was a price for it, but I enjoyed walking through superquinn doing a shop much more that the dull aspects that lidl and Aldi bring.

I'm not saying I don't shop in them, I do, but more that I got enjoyment out of Superquinn and I spent more because they could entice more out of me, with others I tend to want to get in and out as quick as possible, in fairness that's what lidl and Aldi want you to do.

I found the bread in the UK tasteless too. And the sausages, even butcher ones.

As for visually-appealing stores, I guess if you're willing to pay for a more aesthetically pleasing shopping experience, go for it! It's just not something I would pay a premium for, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hardly Iconic OP.
    A predominantly Dublin chain.
    I doubt anyone will notice tbh.

People in Dublin might.

:D

Although tbh, I think I have ever noticed one Superquinn anytime I was in Dublin, only out in Rathfarnham. Dont recall seeing any in the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

From what we've been told everything is staying the same, its literally just the name thats changing. They may have a few more of the Supervalu basics range but thats about it.

You can call me a snob all you want but our lcoal Superquinn stocks a variety of items that you would never find in a Dunnes/Aldi/Lidl and for some stuff even Tesco doesn't stock it.

If Superquinn stop selling those things then I would have to go all the way into town for Fallon & Byrne which would be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wont somebody please think of the upper middle class!

Probably explains why the Superquinn in Clonmel is always empty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

theteal wrote: »
    not just you, sausages over here are muck - aldi's ultimate chipolatas are the best substitute I've found

The irony is, the best selling sausages I'm England (walls and Richmond) and the best selling sausages in Ireland (galtee and Denny) are all made by Kerry Foods.

Sainsbury's Butcher's Choice are nice.

I think losing the Superquinn name could prove detrimental to Supervalu because i for one wouldnt consider Supervalu a bigger name even despite the buyout.

They should definately distinguish it from normal sized Supervalu's and call it 'Supervalu Extra' or something because the shopping experience in a Supervalu just cannot be compared to the one in Superquinn and that is regardless of the figure at the end of your receipt. The Superquinn model in terms of shopping experience is far far superior

I think losing the Superquinn name could prove detrimental to Supervalu because i for one wouldnt consider Supervalu a bigger name even despite the buyout.

I would, there are far more Supervalu branches nationwide than Superquinns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Ah SuperQuinn, walk in with 50 euro and walk out with some funny looking bread, smelly cheese, ostrich meat and about 3 cent change. Still though, quality food and service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Disappointing news. Superquinn is a great store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I will seriously miss the salad counter and the deli if they are affected. None of the other supermarkets have anything to compare. Tesco, Aldi and Lidl, my nearerst alternatives, are particularly poor in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

TheBody wrote: »
    Never understood all the hype around their sausages. Nothing special IMHO.

blasphemy!

I would, there are far more Supervalu branches nationwide than Superquinns.

Fair point but regardless of this i think Supervalu will be looking to maintain the existing core of Superquinn customers and they'll have to be careful how they go about something as radical as this rebranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Their cakes better not change. I love their chocolate cake and oh their Gateau Diane. It's delicious.

Their breads are so tasty too. Super Valu always fail miserably when it comes to baked products.

blasphemy!

Not really. Get some nice sossies from a butcher and you'll never look back. And they're always keenly priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,737 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Moved away now, but still miss Superquinn here in England.

I suppose it is what you are used to, but I don't think English bread is a patch on what I could get at home, especially a batch loaf or Superquinns fresh turnovers.

I still remember the aromas of bakery goods teasing me early morning as I walked to school in Lucan.

I have always liked Superquinn and in particular the effort it put into the visual aspect of the store, yes you don't need it, yes there was a price for it, but I enjoyed walking through superquinn doing a shop much more that the dull aspects that lidl and Aldi bring.

I'm not saying I don't shop in them, I do, but more that I got enjoyment out of Superquinn and I spent more because they could entice more out of me, with others I tend to want to get in and out as quick as possible, in fairness that's what lidl and Aldi want you to do.

Again I liked the sausages, I know they have changed from when I was younger and again the ones over here in England are not a patch on them (for me).

Sad to see it go, and I will miss it more when it has gone.

Try Morrisons for pretty good bread and sausages (the big stores, not the local ones), I find their bakery and butchers sections to be very good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Ah SuperQuinn, walk in with 50 euro and walk out with some funny looking bread, smelly cheese, ostrich meat and about 3 cent change. Still though, quality food and service

They no longer sell ostrich meat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Wait, there are people who havent heard of Superquinn?

There's a superquinn in every large town and city in the country. :confused:
    Quit acting stupid.

Quit acting stupid.

No there isn't. There are six outside of the Dublin area. People have heard of it, it just barely registers with them. I lived in Dublin for 7 years and never even walked past a Superquinn.
    Try Morrisons for pretty good bread and sausages (the big stores, not the local ones), I find their bakery and butchers sections to be very good.

<3 Morrisons. Now THERE is quality and value. Has a downmarket rep though. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

No there isn't. There are six outside of the Dublin area. People have heard of it, it just barely registers with them. I lived in Dublin for 7 years and never even walked past a Superquinn.

Crazy. I thought it was a household name by this stage. I dont even live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

<3 Morrisons. Now THERE is quality and value. Has a downmarket rep though. Idiots.

Yeah I find their quality is better than Sainsburys or M & S but they still work out cheaper or equal to Tesco/Aldi/Lidl for most things, quality and value as you say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

Quit acting stupid.

Actually there aren't many Superquinns outside Dublin so people probably haven't heard too much about them! They don't advertise as much as they used too either

TBH my supervalu at home is amazing, love the food, they have their own bakery too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Actually there aren't many Superquinns outside Dublin so people probably haven't heard too much about them! They don't advertise as much as they used too either

TBH my supervalu at home is amazing, love the food, they have their own bakery too :)

I was in the Superquinn in Limerick (Castletroy) a couple of months ago, it was like a ghost town. A shame, as they have lovely stuff and the 6 for 5 craft beers is a draw, especially as they have a lot of Irish beers. Hopefully Supervalu will carry this deal on! (My local Supervalu is excellent too, but I wish there were more Irish beers on offer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I can't handle shopping anywhere except SuperQuinn with the hand scanner thing while you go around doing your shopping.

If I have to start going through tills again and bagging my shopping as it comes off the tiny conveyor belt, I'm gonna be cranky.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Bread on the continent has always far exceeded the bread you find in Britain and Ireland.

I don't think that's true at all. We've an amazing little bakery close to our house and the bread is top quality. As is the bread at Superquinn and the bread from Blazing Salads. If you're comparing Brennan's white pan to bread on the continent then of course the continent wins but our real bakeries are just as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Sad to see it go even though I shop in Aldi and Lidl now. I don't knock Aldi and Lidl at all and I think they've got great products for the price Can't stand people saying they've got superior product quality over the rest though. M&S and Superquinn definitely had better quality but not justifiable enough for me price wise. Aldi and Lidl suits me to the ground as I'm not fussy about getting the absolute cream of the crop. It's got some great products - its fruit and veg is good and some of the meat can be good as well although hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

povo or culchie?
    Non-dublin urbanite.

same thing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I miss the days of Crazy Prices!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Didn't they morph into Super Crazy Prices?

Still mourning the loss of H Williams myself!

Advertisement