Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sugar_fiend

I've never been in a Superquinn in my life - what does that say about me?

your not the only one , always assumed it was the supermarket for those who earned over 100 k per year and lived in dalkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

marketty wrote: »
    Two of the most expensive supermarkets in Ireland coming together to try and knock M&S off the top spot

Well m&s is all that's left now for the nice stuff. Guess it will benefit the butchers though as superquin was the only supermarket with decent meat. Would become a veggie before I'd eat meat from supervalu.

It's odd that people are saying M&S are the only places left for nice stuff. Aldi and Lidl do some absolutely top quality products for half the price of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I can't believe it - the meat in Superquinn is far superior to anywhere else (supermarkets I mean) . I love Superquinn. I'm gutted.

At least I still have JC's. JC's for life!

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Well m&s is all that's left now for the nice stuff. Guess it will benefit the butchers though as superquin was the only supermarket with decent meat. Would become a veggie before I'd eat meat from supervalu.

my mother knows more about grocery shopping than anyone and claims that super valu has the best meat of any of the main retailers , she lives in rural Ireland so superquin isn't on the radar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I go to superquinn for Florida orange juice, wraps when I'm hungover, Sean's brown bread for the oul pair, custard slices and cream doughnuts, and the salad bar. Tuna salad and the spinach pasta is just so good.

I'll be going there today :)

It's odd that people are saying M&S are the only places left for nice stuff. Aldi and Lidl do some absolutely top quality products for half the price of the others.

their meat is average enough , chicken is horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Well m&s is all that's left now for the nice stuff.

guess again :pac:
    The M&S stores at Mullingar and Tallaght and the Simply Food stores in Naas and Dún Laoghaire are to close in the coming weeks.
    The company said the four shops were unprofitable and that the decision to close them came after a strategic review.

Guess it will benefit the butchers though as superquin was the only supermarket with decent meat. Would become a veggie before I'd eat meat from supervalu.

what do supervalu in dublin do with their meat? here in Cork its local farms supply it fresh and its delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

marketty wrote: »
    Two of the most expensive supermarkets in Ireland coming together to try and knock M&S off the top spot

No worries there - M&S is closing stores and shedding staff too
    180 jobs are to go at Marks and Spencer with the closure of four stores in the Republic.
    The locations that are to close are in Mullingar, Co Westmeath, Tallaght and Dun Laoghaire in Dublin and M&S Simply Food in Naas, Co Kildare.

BUT it does say that a new store is (hopefully) to open in Limerick - in 3 years! - with 250 jobs so I guess everyone can just relocate West! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I go to superquinn for Florida orange juice, wraps when I'm hungover, Sean's brown bread for the oul pair, custard slices and cream doughnuts, and the salad bar. Tuna salad and the spinach pasta is just so good.

I'll be going there today :)

You're making me hungry. Have never had one of their wraps.

• Advertisement

I shop in aldi for some specifics but there is no way on earth you can say aldi is anything close to m&s or superquinn, no comparison at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    No worries there - M&S is closing stores and shedding staff too

BUT it does say that a new store is (hopefully) to open in Limerick - in 3 years! - with 250 jobs so I guess everyone can just relocate West! :rolleyes:

As long as I can remember they have been on about a M&S opening in Limerick. It's been mentioned in the leader quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Supervalu have really improved over the last 5 years, can't see much of an issue with Superquinn changing its name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

You're making me hungry. Have never had one of their wraps.

Get in the f*cking car.

Wrap, mayo, spicy chicken, onion, cheese and stuffing.

And whatever you're having yourself ;)

hoodwinked wrote: »
    guess again :pac:

what do supervalu in dublin do with their meat? here in Cork its local farms supply it fresh and its delicious!

Have you personally seen the butcher deliver it? It's centrally sourced by the group is what I believe. On the occasions I used to buy meat from supervalu I had too many bad experiences including a gone off Christmas turkey which didn't exactly enhance Christmas day. They may be fine for others just not for me thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Superquinn AND M&S? Well, f*ck.
    Back to Fallon & Byrne then I guess. Unless Supervalu don't replace the SQ products with their usual stuff.

When I buy salad from Superquinn/M&S/F&B, it doesn't taste like a sheet of plastic. You get used to that kind of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

supervalu here in arklow use local sleeda farm meat and all their veg is from either arklow or wexford. most of the fresh bread they have is from ferns and new ross. just a pity you cant get sleeda farm in supervalu in dublin as we are moving home in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Have you personally seen the butcher deliver it? It's centrally sourced by the group is what I believe. On the occasions I used to buy meat from supervalu I had too many bad experiences including a gone off Christmas turkey which didn't exactly enhance Christmas day. They may be fine for others just not for me thanks.

my stepdad works for the farmer who supplies the meat, and they have said farmers photo in amongst the meat he supplies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Iconic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In a lot of small Irish towns Supervalu is the only supermarket - towns where the likes of Tesco wouldn't open up because there wouldn't be a big enough population to make profit. The only alternatives tend to be Mace/Centra/Londis etc which usually are more expensive and don't carry as extensive a range of products. Having said that more of the big name chains are opening up in small towns
    are supervalu, centra, londis etc not all musgraves ?

don't see the logic in the name change from quinn to valu....are they trying to save on advertising, branding etc

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Disagree there boss, especially if some of their other much loved products are done away with.

Like the bogstandard sausages people rave about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Like the bogstandard sausages people rave about?

yeah never understood that, its all in peoples heads

don't see the logic in the name change from quinn to valu....are they trying to save on advertising, branding etc
    supervalu and centra are, the company is known as MSVC as in musgrave surervalu centra. londis is a symbol group that isnt part of that group.

A major shopping chain in Dublin, with a population of over 1.25 million, is going to dramatically change and you don't think people will notice...? :rolleyes:

I lived in Dublin for 7 years and never once set foot in a Superquinn.

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    supervalu here in arklow use local sleeda farm meat and all their veg is from either arklow or wexford. most of the fresh bread they have is from ferns and new ross. just a pity you cant get sleeda farm in supervalu in dublin as we are moving home in a few weeks

Can only speak for the limited amount of supervalus I've shopped in in Dublin. Gave up on the for all fresh goods years ago but do drop in for, cat food, Mayo milk etc an see no marked improvement, didn't even buy ham there a few years ago the Christmas of the pig crisis and the were the only shop with tons of the stuff ........ If they bring themselves up to sq standards instead of dragging sq down further I'll gladly shop there. Not holding out great hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yes centra is, but making the point that small shops on petrol station forecourts, corner shops etc generally don't carry the same range of stuff that a larger supermarket does. So people in small towns with only a supervalu will more than likely do their weekly shop there. I live in a small town like that and the nearest tesco is 10 miles away which is fine, but 5 or 6 years ago that tesco didn't exist and the nearest one (or dunnes) was 25 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wont somebody please think of the upper middle class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The most annoying thing about this is staff found out the same way as everyone else, through Facebook!

I lived in Dublin for 7 years and never once set foot in a Superquinn.

How do you know their sausages are bog standard then?

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wont somebody please think of the upper middle class!
    there's donnybrook fair for that or that place in rathgar that has the metre long toblerone

Advertisement