Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

:pac::D

With M&S, people are most definitely paying for the supposed prestige. They have a lot of really, really average products. Some most definitely inferior to the German supermarkets.

As for packaging and store layout, this adds a lot to the cost of items in stores. Aldi and Lidl cut costs here. But some people just can't get past it because supermarket shopping is a very visual thing too.

Each to their own taste I guess As I said enjoy aldi and lidl I envy you your palate., makes life so cheap I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's terrible Joe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Each to their own taste I guess As I said enjoy aldi and lidl I envy you your palate., makes life so cheap I guess

Aldi don't have a butcher's counter. That's a clear difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Ballinteer is definitely a middle-class area? :confused:

That's the point...

hoodwinked wrote: »
    thats a tad unfair i have shopped in M&S and unless you are buying ready made meals (M&S do damn nice meals) their meat tastes the same as the butchers or supervalu's

If she enjoys aldi and lidl so what. If she doesn't even shop in superquin she doesn't know what she's talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

how does supervalu survive, it is without exception the crappest most overpriced supermarket chain in Ireland.

That's why it not just survives, but thrives.

Let's face it - be it Supermacs, Ryan Tubridy, Fianna Fail or vomit coloured bungalows blighting the landscape, we have a real fetish for mediocrity in this country.

I've no idea why.

That's the point...

What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

feck those sausages.
    if the bakery is doen away with i'll cry :(

why would supervalu get rid of the bakery when they have ones in other stores?

if its there they will keep it and probably do what our local supervalu bakery does and make freshly made birthday cakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Enjoy falling for carefully engineered supermarket psychology. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

hoodwinked wrote: »
    why would supervalu get rid of the bakery when they have ones in other stores?

if its there they will keep it and probably do what our local supervalu bakery does and make freshly made birthday cakes!

Do other Supervalu bakeries bake from scratch or just heat up stuff?

• Advertisement

Aldi don't have a butcher's counter. That's a clear difference.

I go to actual butchers for most of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The Peoples Republic of Cork have done well in this one alright, the Dub chain was already at Clonmel and Waterford, next it would have been Mallow and Fermoy and then on to the City...:eek:

Now we have a little more control over the Pales food supply, we send the gone off stuff up there and keep all the good fresh stuff for ourselves...:)

The Corkonian Secret Service Musgrave Group have really outdone themselves with this move.

If she enjoys aldi and lidl so what. If she doesn't even shop in superquin she doesn't know what she's talking about.

The only Superquinn product I commented on was their sausages, which are average.

I have a good bit more experience of M&S food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do other Supervalu bakeries bake from scratch or just heat up stuff?

they bake from scratch, tescos have the trays and trays of baked goods where as in supervalu you can see them in the back making everything,

only down side is they are usually low on baked goods...

I go to actual butchers for most of that.

Yeah, that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I lived in Dublin for 7 years and never once set foot in a Superquinn.
    Then how are you qualified to have an opinion on it?

hcass wrote: »
    Then how are you qualified to have an opinion on it?

Do people not read threads?

Once again, the only Superquinn product I've had was the sausages via a housemate. Nothing special. That and my surprise at Superquinn being considered iconic were my only Superquinn-related comments in the thread.

M&S is the one I have a fair bit of experience of, and have been fairly underwhelmed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Where will we get our pancakes on pancake tuesday? :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

stevek93 wrote: »
    Where will we get our pancakes on pancake tuesday? :(

Homemade pancakes are always the nicest

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this is as big a bombshell as when tesco in ireland sold out to H. Williams back in the mid 80s before becoming crazy prices.

at least this will mean an end to the dreadful rocky music on the radio ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Honestly never shopped at Superquinns, just the SuperValu's in Ashbourne - and they're pretty decent, I rather like their bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Moved away now, but still miss Superquinn here in England.

I suppose it is what you are used to, but I don't think English bread is a patch on what I could get at home, especially a batch loaf or Superquinns fresh turnovers.

I still remember the aromas of bakery goods teasing me early morning as I walked to school in Lucan.

I have always liked Superquinn and in particular the effort it put into the visual aspect of the store, yes you don't need it, yes there was a price for it, but I enjoyed walking through superquinn doing a shop much more that the dull aspects that lidl and Aldi bring.

I'm not saying I don't shop in them, I do, but more that I got enjoyment out of Superquinn and I spent more because they could entice more out of me, with others I tend to want to get in and out as quick as possible, in fairness that's what lidl and Aldi want you to do.

Again I liked the sausages, I know they have changed from when I was younger and again the ones over here in England are not a patch on them (for me).

Sad to see it go, and I will miss it more when it has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Again I liked the sausages, I know they have changed from when I was younger and again the ones over here in England are not a patch on them (for me).

not just you, sausages over here are muck - aldi's ultimate chipolatas are the best substitute I've found

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

theteal wrote: »
    not just you, sausages over here are muck - aldi's ultimate chipolatas are the best substitute I've found

yeah, they muck around with them too much over here and all they do is give you heartburn!

the superquinn sausages will be more widely available now in the supervalu shops though. it's only a rebranding, superquinn has been owned by musgrave for a good while now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Moved away now, but still miss Superquinn here in England.

I suppose it is what you are used to, but I don't think English bread is a patch on what I could get at home, especially a batch loaf or Superquinns fresh turnovers.

I still remember the aromas of bakery goods teasing me early morning as I walked to school in Lucan.

I have always liked Superquinn and in particular the effort it put into the visual aspect of the store, yes you don't need it, yes there was a price for it, but I enjoyed walking through superquinn doing a shop much more that the dull aspects that lidl and Aldi bring.

I'm not saying I don't shop in them, I do, but more that I got enjoyment out of Superquinn and I spent more because they could entice more out of me, with others I tend to want to get in and out as quick as possible, in fairness that's what lidl and Aldi want you to do.

Sad to see it go, and I will miss it more when it has gone.

Bread on the continent has always far exceeded the bread you find in Britain and Ireland.

yeah, they muck around with them too much over here and all they do is give you heartburn!

the superquinn sausages will be more widely available now in the supervalu shops though. it's only a rebranding, superquinn has been owned by musgrave for a good while now

So will be the superquins be franchised out like the supervalus are? That may be why there are such diverse views on supervalus, different owners would have a large impact!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't say it'll affect me at all, not nice to see jobs lost as a result though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Dam i prefer superquin way over supervalu i love the superscan and a lot of the produce. Means when it becomes supervalu i will ride off into the sunset and shop at dunnes stores

Homemade pancakes are always the nicest

Exactly, and the batter takes only about 5 minutes to make!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Quality of fruit and vegetables and meat in SQ is higher than other supermarkets

Compared to aldi/lidl it can be quite a bit more expensive. Never found it any more expensive than Tesco or Dunnes though.

the superscan was great idea - hope they keep that

Advertisement