Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I don't know why everyone's presuming that the bakeries, salad bar, butcher counter, etc. are going to disappear from the already-established SQ stores. It's not like SV are going to take over and then downgrade a store. Reading the press release, it just sounds like SuperValu are going to be putting their name on the door and putting their products in the stores. I don't know what about SuperScan but I can't see them getting rid of the other big draws of SQ stores.

FWIW I've always thought SQ was so overrated. The bakery, meat and fish counters are all good, but other than that it's nothing special. I worked in Blanch village for 5 years and would be in that store most weekdays. The staff were amongst the unfriendliest I've ever encountered, the hot food counter was rubbish, the "famous" fresh fruit didn't stay fresh very long, and it was pretty expensive overall.

In saying that, my local (well my mam's local) SuperValu is pretty crap too, although their prices have improved over the past year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Supervalu Clonmel in the Poppyfields retail park was just saved from closure recently with Musgraves themselves having to step in and save the store. With the re-branding of SuperQuinn to Supervalu one of these stores will have to close so there will be job loses somewhere.
    Retail group Musgraves has purchased the Supervalu store in Clonmel, Tipperary along with another in Thomastown, Kilkenny.

Both stores went into receivership in 2011 and Musgraves had worked with receivers Farrel Grant Sparks to keep the stores open.

Receiver Declan Taite of RSM Farrell Grant Sparks commented “This is an extremely positive result for the employees and management of the two supermarkets as the local employment is protected” .

86 workers at the stores will now transfer to Musgraves.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

isnt both supervalu AND superquinn both owned by Musgraves?

this is basically a rebranding and nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Didn't they morph into Super Crazy Prices?

Still mourning the loss of H Williams myself!

Yep, it was referred to as Super Crazy Prices as well. Miss the Yellow brand. Everything in our house was yellow brand at one time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

sydthebeat wrote: »
    isnt both supervalu AND superquinn both owned by Musgraves?

this is basically a rebranding and nothing else

Obviously you haven't tasted Supervalu food to understand why people are upset about this rebranding and merger xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

A completely new name might have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Delta2113 wrote: »

ValuQuinn
    Better than SuperSuper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Delta2113 wrote: »

Let's face it, there is more than a minority of retards that will stop shopping there even if the only difference is the sign outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

hcass wrote: »

At least I still have JC's. JC's for life!

Slightly OT but how are JC's doing since the lidl went in beside? Still the busiest place i've ever been in during christmas in the gargle aisle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Independent butchers are different but the vast majority of meat in the large chains come from the exact same suppliers.
    If you are in the dispatch area of any of the large producers pork, beef, lamb, chicken you will see pallets of product that came off the same line on the same run all layed out and labeled for the different retailers distribution centres.
    The only difference will be the packaging, the product is the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    People in Dublin might.

:D

Although tbh, I think I have ever noticed one Superquinn anytime I was in Dublin, only out in Rathfarnham. Dont recall seeing any in the City Centre.

Think you mean Knocklyon!

I don't live near a Superquinn now but have fond memories of buying venison and ostrich steaks while sipping on the fresh coffee they used to give you as you shopped. Well worth paying a bit extra for. I still haven't found anywhere comparable for bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

how does supervalu survive, it is without exception the crappest most overpriced supermarket chain in Ireland.

I can't agree.

I would shop in SuperValu before any other supermarket

They have great value and offer a great selection of everything, especially fresh meat and fish.

CAL

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

NickDunne wrote: »
    Slightly OT but how are JC's doing since the lidl went in beside? Still the busiest place i've ever been in during christmas in the gargle aisle :pac:

I think it's still doing well - it's always busy when I'm there. I haven't stepped foot inside Lidl so couldn't tell you about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I can't agree.

I would shop in SuperValu before any other supermarket

They have great value and offer a great selection of everything, especially fresh meat and fish.

CAL

Their salad and deli selection is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The Supervalu in Palmerstown is lovely, if they do the Superquinns like that then they'll be grand.

There's a huge variation in the quality of Supervalus around the country, I think they're franchises so they can be completely ****e or really brilliant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where will i get my yellow pack stuff now!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

phasers wrote: »
    The Supervalu in Palmerstown is lovely, if they do the Superquinns like that then they'll be grand.

There's a huge variation in the quality of Supervalus around the country, I think they're franchises so they can be completely ****e or really brilliant.

Yep. They are a franchise. Some are really well run and others are ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

SuperValu, Deceptive naming..SuperRip more like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

not really bothered since I've never been in a superquinn...actually don't think I've ever seen one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

big loss...we have 3 in teh area between sutton, swords and northside, and no one comes close to them for breads and other quality products as far as i am concerned.

Nothing worse than super valu and their constant "oh the till must have missed the offer" excuses as to why 1 in 5 times we are overcharged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You do realise that all they are doing is changing the name....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Their salad and deli selection is abysmal.

In fairness, all salad bars are just calorie packed.

Just easy and healthier to make the stuff at home.

murpho999 wrote: »

In fairness your post is entirely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

yop wrote: »
    Where will i get my yellow pack stuff now!!!! :(

Go back to Quinnsworth...

THRIFT FTW!!!

SuperValu also operate in Spain and some more interesting stuff below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperValu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperValue

- yes maybe Superquinn should have been kept after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You do realise that all they are doing is changing the name....

Changing the name and cutting over 100 jobs... for the moment.
    Likely to be more as they do a full store review at a later date and bring the whole operation more in line.
    I've also noticed Superquinn changing some suppliers since being taken over. This affects other jobs down the line.

The Supervalu brand has done very well over the past few years, and they've some excellent stores, mostly in rural areas. The supervalu model is obviously more profitable and they wish to role it out throughout the SQ stores. It makes sense, but it's reducing customer options at the end of the day on price, quality and choice. As someone else pointed out, it may be good for niche stores like butchers etc... as people still like getting excellent quality and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

murpho999 wrote: »

You actually have a point, especially when it comes to places like Marks and Spencer which are basically overpriced supermarkets for people for can't or won't make their own dinner or lunch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Will they still be doing the 'buy 6 pay for 5' on the craft beer sales? :D :P

probably not, supervalu are the worst of the supermarkets for craft beer deals

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    You actually have a point, especially when it comes to places like Marks and Spencer which are basically overpriced supermarkets for people for can't or won't make their own dinner or lunch. :pac:

And what difference does it make to you whether they make their own food or not? Or what price they choose to pay?

You talk about judgemental snobbery but so far the only such carry on in this thread has been your own snide insults.

Advertisement