Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

yeah never understood that, its all in peoples heads

I just like the taste. I don't really like sausages but I love superquinn sausages. Think they're lovely.

I think denny are absolutely disgusting too. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    there's donnybrook fair for that or that place in rathgar that has the metre long toblerone

For €90!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I just like the taste. I don't really like sausages but I love superquinn sausages. Think they're lovely.

I think denny are absolutely disgusting too. Meh.

check out the pork content, Denny's have something like 48% pork, where as other brands can have 80% or more pork content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

For €90!!!
    but have you seen the oranges they sell...like basketballs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    I shop in aldi for some specifics but there is no way on earth you can say aldi is anything close to m&s or superquinn, no comparison at all!

M&S is pretty bogstandard actually, people are paying for the packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aw this makes me really sad. Superquinn is an institution, love the quality of their produce

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hardly Iconic OP.
    A predominantly Dublin chain.
    I doubt anyone will notice tbh.
    I beg to differ, there's a whole 6 shops outside the pale (yes I had to google it :D)
    http://www.superquinn.ie/StoreLocator/165

biko wrote: »
    I beg to differ, there's a whole 6 shops outside the pale (yes I had to google it :D)
    http://www.superquinn.ie/StoreLocator/165

those places don't count really though :P

How do you know their sausages are bog standard then?

Through the magic of a housemate having them, and giving me one to try how amazing they are.

But, by then, I was buying delicious sausages from the butcher, and scoffed at the crappiness of the Superquinn sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

your not the only one , always assumed it was the supermarket for those who earned over 100 k per year and lived in dalkey
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Wont somebody please think of the upper middle class!

I always find this reaction kinda weird as one of their main stores is in Walkinstown. . .while being a bit quieter than neighbouring areas, a middle class leafy suburb it ain't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

April, you quite possibly have no taste buds. And people are not just paying for the packaging though clearly you haven't the experience to accurately make a judgement on that. Enjoy aldi and lidl the others are no loss to you.

theteal wrote: »
    I always find this reaction kinda weird as one of their main stores is in Walkinstown. . .while being a bit quieter than neighbouring areas, a middle class leafy suburb it ain't!
    and ballinteer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

my mother knows more about grocery shopping than anyone and claims that super valu has the best meat of any of the main retailers , she lives in rural Ireland so superquin isn't on the radar

No she doesn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

M&S is pretty bogstandard actually, people are paying for the packaging.

I don't agree. I've sometimes left (Supervalu) food rot in the fridge because I wasn't bothered eating it more than once. That's never happened with M&S.

To each their own I suppose.

April, you quite possibly have no taste buds. And people are not just paying for the packaging though clearly you haven't the experience to accurately make a judgement on that. Enjoy aldi and lidl the others are no loss to you.

thats a tad unfair i have shopped in M&S and unless you are buying ready made meals (M&S do damn nice meals) their meat tastes the same as the butchers or supervalu's

:pac::D

With M&S, people are most definitely paying for the supposed prestige. They have a lot of really, really average products. Some most definitely inferior to the German supermarkets.

As for packaging and store layout, this adds a lot to the cost of items in stores. Aldi and Lidl cut costs here. But some people just can't get past it because supermarket shopping is a very visual thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think they have made a serious mistake with this rebranding. When you think of superquinn you think of high quality products. But with supervalu your think of high prices too but ****ty country supermarkets with **** all selection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

With M&S, people are most definitely paying for the cookies :Dsupposed prestige. They have a lot of really, really average products.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

theteal wrote: »

Neither are Lucan, Kimmage, blanchardstown, bray, no idea why people thought they were middle class, just better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Have you personally seen the butcher deliver it? It's centrally sourced by the group is what I believe. On the occasions I used to buy meat from supervalu I had too many bad experiences including a gone off Christmas turkey which didn't exactly enhance Christmas day. They may be fine for others just not for me thanks.

I personally know one of the butchers in a country Supervalu store - his family are farmers and they actually butcher and sell the meat in the store - and no problem picking out a nice rib and he will keep it in the cold store until it is properly aged for maximum flavour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    and ballinteer

Ballinteer is definitely a middle-class area? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This is a major blow for the people of Blackrock? Super Valu? Are you focking joking me? At least we still have M&S

hfallada wrote: »
    I think they have made a serious mistake with this rebranding. When you think of superquinn you think of high quality products. But with supervalu your think of high prices too but ****ty country supermarkets with **** all selection

seriously? take a look at the fruit and vegetable section in Supervalu clonakilty and come back and try to justify that post :eek:

a punnet of strawberries €2 and they were the juiciest sweetest strawberries i've had this year.

watery flavoured strawberries €5 in Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I hope we can get fresh fruit and vegetables now the state of them and the supply is terrible! What is it with companies not letting their staff know about serious changes... receivers arriving at the door etc. so much for staff management relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

With M&S, people are most definitely paying for the supposed prestige. They have a lot of really, really average products. Some most definitely inferior to the German supermarkets.

As for packaging and store layout, this adds a lot to the cost of items in stores. Aldi and Lidl cut costs here. But some people just can't get past it because supermarket shopping is a very visual thing too.

Their quality has gone to shìt. The meat doesn't taste nice. Only good things are deserts and pasta sauces.

Superquinn sausages are long gone. They've been average for years.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    seriously? take a look at the fruit and vegetable section in Supervalu clonakilty and come back and try to justify that post :eek:

Supervalu Clonakilty is supposed to be amazing!

keith16 wrote: »
    This is a major blow for the people of Blackrock? Super Valu? Are you focking joking me? At least we still have M&S
    which used to be supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Very sad to hear about this.

Main reason is the bread.

Bread standards are very poor in Ireland.

From awful pre packed, preservative filled, Brennan's and Irish Pride to the pretend fresh bread of Cuisine de France, SQ was the only one that baked fresh from scratch.

Other food stuffs nice too, sausages are overrated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Dunno where people are getting the idea that Superquinn was a crazy expensive or posh shop

If you shopped smartly, you could keep your prices on par with Tesco and Dunnes, and get far better quality fruit, veg and meat

Disappointed to see it go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

feck those sausages.
    if the bakery is doen away with i'll cry :(

Advertisement