Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Super!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Hardly Iconic OP.
    A predominantly Dublin chain.
    I doubt anyone will notice tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Will they still be doing the 'buy 6 pay for 5' on the craft beer sales? :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hopefully they don't lose any of the bakery goods either. Nevermind Sean's brown bread, jam doughnuts and fruit slices better not disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Never heard of the place, sounds like a crap Irish superhero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hardly Iconic OP.

Disagree there boss, especially if some of their other much loved products are done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I used to love the aroma of fresh bread as soon as you entered Superquinn. Then the displays of quality fruit and veg.

Sad to hear they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Disagree there boss, especially if some of their other much loved products are done away with.

Massively agree.
    Superquinn, under the guidance of Fergal Quinn, was a real master class of retailing.
    When quality and service mattered, they were a joy to experience.
    They ultimately fell down on price, but I think a lot of this was perceived. Many times I could shop in SQ for less than Tesco... but I guess the likes of Aldi and Lidl hit them hard, along with customers changing their shopping habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I love their pizza off the counter. LOADS of toppings.

Never understood all the hype around their sausages. Nothing special IMHO.

Like other, I'll be sorry to see them go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nobody does bread like Superquinn. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Beruthiel wrote: »
    What, not even Paul Hollywood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Beruthiel wrote: »

our local supervalu do, they have an instore bakery,

i love their freshly baked bread with the local jam on it, its real homemade jam *heads for another shopping trip*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how does supervalu survive, it is without exception the crappest most overpriced supermarket chain in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A major shopping chain in Dublin, with a population of over 1.25 million, is going to dramatically change and you don't think people will notice...? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I've never been in a Superquinn in my life - what does that say about me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Over a 100 jobs gone in the move unfortunately. :(

Wouldn't be a huge admirer of SuperValu, should be interesting to see how this goes down with Superquinn customers.

I've never been in a Superquinn in my life - what does that say about me?
    povo or culchie?

povo or culchie?

Non-dublin urbanite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

This is how I feel today!

Non-dublin urbanite.
    culchie so

• Advertisement

A major shopping chain in Dublin, with a population of over 1.25 million, is going to dramatically change and you don't think people will notice...? :rolleyes:

Well, the remaining 3 million in this country probably won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Hardly Iconic OP.

Love superquin, detest super value, you don't know what you've been missing, try their bakery and their sausages, oh and their salads......... Big big loss........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Two of the most expensive supermarkets in Ireland coming together to try and knock M&S off the top spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I guess the quality of the products is going to drop. Superquinn has some of the nicest product in their shop compared to the bland overpriced s1it in Supervalue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

Weird, they spend probably a **** ton redoing the knocklyon store this year and now its all a waste lol.

culchie so

Sophisticate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

people in Rathgar wont be happy to have a shop with the word 'valu' in its name in their area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Pretty sad news actually. Another iconic Irish store gone plus there is a noticeable difference between the quality of both. Can't beat the freshness of the Superquinn foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Superquinn French wine sale was brilliant. Only reason I shopped there, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

how does supervalu survive, it is without exception the crappest most overpriced supermarket chain in Ireland.

In a lot of small Irish towns Supervalu is the only supermarket - towns where the likes of Tesco wouldn't open up because there wouldn't be a big enough population to make profit. The only alternatives tend to be Mace/Centra/Londis etc which usually are more expensive and don't carry as extensive a range of products.

Having said that more of the big name chains are opening up in small towns:
    e.g. Carrick on Shannon only had Supervalu 10 years ago. Now it has a 24 hour Tesco, a Lidl and Aldi also. All in a town of 4,000. The mind boggles as to how they are all making profit.

Advertisement