Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I used to love the aroma of fresh bread as soon as you entered Superquinn. Then the displays of quality fruit and veg.

Sad to hear they are going.
    I get that at Supervalu too. Pettitts in Wexford. Lovely bread, great fruit and veg, lots of buy 3 pay for 2 offers etc. We used to have a Supervalu store locally, then it changed hands, and ultimately became Eurospar, and turned to shite.
    Overpriced and understocked, and worst of all, prices displayed on shelves don't match those at the till. If you can even find the prices on the shelves.
    Supervalu though, are grand imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I've noticed an increase in my euro spend over the last few weeks which is annoying me, using SQ in Limerick for years, now SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

SuperValu has become my local supermarket recently. Seems about the same price as Dunnes, with fairly similar quality. Both far superior to Tesco though. Tend to buy plenty of my food in Aldi these days. Great quality for the most part, but not a big fan of their fruit and vegetables.

Always buy meat from a good butcher. Not something to be skimped on. You can taste the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

Me to the bloke in charge of the beer/wine section in SuperValu Walkinstown.

"Hi , have you any any Oktoberfest beer ?"
    "Oktoberfest ? Is that a new beer? "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Luis21 wrote: »

How frightfully uncouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What is an Oktoberfest beer? Beer only brewed for the 16 days of Oktoberfest?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Someone must email feargal Quinn with this latest development.that employee should be hauled in front of the seanad to explain himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

lertsnim wrote: »
    What is an Oktoberfest beer? Beer only brewed for the 16 days of Oktoberfest?

Yes, the clue is in the name.

Care to tell me the names of some that would have been available in Ireland during Oktoberfest a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

In future years the Superquinn to SuperValu saga will be used as a cautionary tale to marketers about how to destroy a quality brand by replacing it with one that was a bit crap in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

lertsnim wrote: »
    Care to tell me the names of some that would have been available in Ireland during Oktoberfest a few weeks ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest#Beers

Hofbrau, Spaten and Paulaner usually show up here, theyve a fairly wide distribution

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Superquinn (now Supervalu) in Swords Pavilions is awesome, it's become my local, (I bypass the Lusk & Skerries Supervalu's)

Supervalu in Navan (Johnstown) was also quite good for the 2 years I lived out that way.

I'm not impressed by the Supervalu in Skerries at all, the 'fresh' produce (fruit/veg) always only has about 1 maybe 2 days before it's out of date! and I all too often see food on display that went out of date the previous day!!

An honourable mention must also go to the Supervalu (nee quinn) in Northside SC, it was my growing up Superquinn, and I still frequent it from time to time. oh the smell of fresh bread in the mornings. (bread which I still smuggle to this day to America for my sister (along with the sausages of course)).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

drumswan wrote: »

Hofbrau, Spaten and Paulaner usually show up here, theyve a fairly wide distribution

They are some of the beer's only allowed be served during oktoberfest in germany as they conform to the German Purity Law, they are not solely brewed during octoberfest.

I honestly have no idea what was being asked here? What is an oktoberfest beer? more than likely they were trying to not say "hey you got any cheap german beer?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

IMO it was a big mistake to get rid of the Superquinn brand for SuperValu. Irish grocery retail is the poorer with the loss of Superquinn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    IMO it was a big mistake to get rid of the Superquinn brand for SuperValu. Irish grocery retail is the poorer with the loss of Superquinn.

You are right, it is poorer now the Superquinn brand is gone,

However, from a business point of view, sustaining 2 brands would be a lot more costly than only 1. so, they try and sustain the 2 brands, and possibly fold, or amalgamate the 2 brands into one (in this case the parent) and hopefully survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

They dystroyed the superquinn in Lucan completley changed the store around whoever designed it should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

...__... wrote: »
    They dystroyed the superquinn in Lucan completley changed the store around whoever designed it should be shot.

Totally agree ... however the newly built Supervalu in Celbridge is an acceptable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

An honourable mention must also go to the Supervalu (nee quinn) in Northside SC, it was my growing up Superquinn, and I still frequent it from time to time. oh the smell of fresh bread in the mornings. (bread which I still smuggle to this day to America for my sister (along with the sausages of course)).

My little brother works in there, was in it recently for the first time in ages and it's filthy, the shop needs some serious repairs but apparently they are in early discussions to close it down.

The bakery/Deli is still amazing though.

drumswan wrote: »

All brewed throughout the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Have to agree. The place is a mess. I go in there to buy the 8oz rib eye burgers. €4 a pop but they are well worth the money. Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Completely agree, it looks like they tried to make it completely different to the old Superquinn shop, and in the process destroyed the flow of the shop.

The shop in Celbridge is better, but for some reason I keep missing the aisle with prepacked meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Speedsie wrote: »
    Completely agree, it looks like they tried to make it completely different to the old Superquinn shop, and in the process destroyed the flow of the shop.

The shop in Celbridge is better, but for some reason I keep missing the aisle with prepacked meats.

Do they have fish and cheese counters in there, like they do in Lucan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Luis21 wrote: »

On top of this being a really weird question for you to ask, there IS a beer/lager called Oktoberfest (though not too surprisingly, it's made in America).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uM3mtUg7NQw/TPvuQe2HjmI/AAAAAAAAE4Y/9cu3Ton5xro/s1600/Sly-Fox-Oktoberfest.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Berserker wrote: »
    Do they have fish and cheese counters in there, like they do in Lucan?

There are small fish and cheese counters in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

the new butcher and cheese counter are the only things good in Lucan why would you reduce the size of the off licence it used to be one of the best for wine now its like a game of jenga trying to get around! and dont get me started on the 30 tills that are there yet only 4 open all the time. and the bakery my god it used to be great now there is a small one metre shelf for fresh cakes which have also disapeared complete sham, someone needs there head examined. I havent been to celbridge bit out of the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

the new butcher and cheese counter are the only things good in Lucan why would you reduce the size of the off licence it used to be one of the best for wine now its like a game of jenga trying to get around! and dont get me started on the 30 tills that are there yet only 4 open all the time. and the bakery my god it used to be great now there is a small one metre shelf for fresh cakes which have also disapeared complete sham, someone needs there head examined. I havent been to celbridge bit out of the way for me.

I completely agree. The bakery is useless now. Even the selection of freshly baked bread is worse than it was. Loads of bread but no variety.
    In fact, I don't think I've ever been in such a large supermarket with so much stock but so little selection. Woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's the little things....SuperQUINN's pre-packed burgers had a sheet of paper between each one which assisted when you were seperating them for the pan/grill....SuperVALUE's burgers although the same meatwise have NO sheet of paper.

The general air of higher quality has disappeared,to be replaced with a sense of not really knowing what their market niche actually is ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement