Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

And what difference does it make to you whether they make their own food or not? Or what price they choose to pay?

You talk about judgemental snobbery but so far the only such carry on in this thread has been your own snide insults.

What's with those ready meals in M and S? Stuff like Cream of Artichoke, Fennel and Scallion Bake? Just bourgeois Pot Noodles, let's be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Superquim and Supervalue have been the same company since 2011. As well as Centra and Mace. Same owners throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

anncoates wrote: »
    What's with those ready meals in M and S? Stuff like Cream of Artichoke, Fennel and Scallion Bake? Just bourgeois Pot Noodles, let's be fair.

I don't really care tbh. But it seems to upset you greatly so why don't you start a thread about it.

I don't really care tbh. .

Your constant replies suggest otherwise.

Come on, have a packet of Artisan Workman Cheddar and Caramelized Shallot Potato Bakes and calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Just bourgeois Pot Noodles, let's be fair.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Your constant replies suggests otherwise.

Come on, have a packet of Artisan Workman Cheddar and Caramelized Shallot Potato Bakes and calm down.

I think you need a dictionary to check the word constant.

I care about the thread topic. I don't care about ready meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Like the bogstandard sausages people rave about?

If you read the OP I already said the sausages are safe. So no, not like them.
    Do people not read threads?

Indeed :pac:

Nadser wrote: »
    Think you mean Knocklyon!.

One in Walkinstown too or at least they're used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yop wrote: »
    Where will i get my yellow pack stuff now!!!! :(

Superquinn. Not Quinnsworth. Or Crazy Prices. Or even H. Williams (that last name took me 10 minutes to remember)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

hoodwinked wrote: »
    seriously? take a look at the fruit and vegetable section in Supervalu clonakilty and come back and try to justify that post :eek:

a punnet of strawberries €2 and they were the juiciest sweetest strawberries i've had this year.

watery flavoured strawberries €5 in Tesco!

Agree. Super Valu's weekly fruit and veg offers that compete with Aldi's Super 6 are brilliant. The best of the bunch actually.

3 for €2 for the best selection. Aldi, Dunnes etc always have a couple of items that aren't very useful such as celery or grapefruit. And, Super Valu refrigerate theirs.

I was in Aldi in Galway twice since their latest Super 6 was launched and the broccoli is actually yellow. I'm a big fan of Aldi, but nobody wants to buy yellow broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I think the ready meals in my local Supervalue deserve a thread of their own.

They seem to be designed by someone who thinks sweet chili sauce is the height of gastronomic sophistication. I mean who the fúck mixes sweet chili sauce and pesto into chicken noodles and cloaks the lot in a melted cheese wrap?

Supervalue = Culchie food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Pretty sad news actually. Another iconic Irish store gone plus there is a noticeable difference between the quality of both. Can't beat the freshness of the Superquinn foods.

This is so true.

For those that say aldi and lidl etc live up to the same quality as SQ..... not a chance. SQ had great quality foods and they werent that expensive at all with lots of deals going on everytime you walk in, the quality just doesnt compare in other stores. (i hvent been to M+S though - due to price). They also had some products you just cant get in other stores, like Cuinneog milk etc + certain cheeses, just to name a few.
    Oh well, Irish food shopping just dropped another level down... Supervalu...lol..how are they taking over SQ, should it not be the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

END OF DAY BREAD GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I don't shop in superquinn as a rule. Too many Dublin accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I can't agree.

I would shop in SuperValu before any other supermarket

They have great value and offer a great selection of everything, especially fresh meat and fish.

I fear you've been hypnotised by the glare of strip lighting bouncing off their unnaturally sweaty selection of cold meats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I don't shop in superquinn as a rule. Too many Dublin accents.

I'd say you're great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

studiorat wrote: »
    Superquim and Supervalue have been the same company since 2011. .

I think the majority of people know that they're under the Musgraves ownership.
    Just because they have the same owners, doesnt mean they couldn't have operated somewhat by themselves: For example, 'Reads' book and stationery store in Dublin city was taken over by Easons a few years back, but they've kept it as 'Reads' as they know it makes marketing sense. You'll find different products in each and also difference pricing structures.
    They may claim it's just a 'rebrand' coming up, but there'll be a lot more to follow I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you read the OP I already said the sausages are safe. So no, not like them.

How wonderful! People keep getting to eat an overrated, mediocre product. WOO! \o/

gline wrote: »
    Supervalu...lol..how are they taking over SQ, should it not be the other way around.

Because there are far more Supervalu stores around the country.

Your constant replies suggest otherwise.

Followed by "hand crafted by pixies" sherry trifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Superquiinn sausage fetishism is always a good moron detection device: they're primary a badge of nostalgic, supposed class affinity rather than something you can find (that are just as good or better) for far cheaper elsewhere.
    Ah, You're totally overanalysing there. Superquinn sausages just taste really really nice. If enjoying them more than Tesco or Lidl ones makes me a moron, well then, lather me up and call me Lloyd Christmas. Saying that, I would rarely shop in Superquinn, except when I'm feeling extravagant and fancy one of their delicious desserts. Frack me, their chocolate tortes are something else. And no, before that moron detection device of yours starts buzzing, the frozen Aldi ones don't even compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Because there are far more Supervalu stores around the country.

True, I forgot it was nothing to do with quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Followed by "hand crafted by pixies" sherry trifle.

I know i'd prefer that pixie trifle than a lidl or aldi GOCHALSHTAGENFLUR Trifle.

I like food i can understand.

ALDI = MEH!!! Not So Bad, But Still Shíte

LIDL = Horrible Horrible Shíte

And no, before that moron detection device of yours starts buzzing,

:)

Fair enough, I was obviously being facetious but making a serious point.

SQ has performed this - admittedly genius - business where people will pay more to shop in - what is still essentially - a supermarket where the majority of goods can be bought cheaper elsewhere but would feel ashamed to do so,.

I'm not the target audience because I just go shopping to buy decent quality food and other items wherever I can find them - supermarket, wholesalers, wherever, and I'm not concerned with paying way over the odds "for a shopping experience" or to the privilege of smelling baking bread when I shop.

There's definitely a profitable market for it though and I would doubt that the mothership will drastically change the SQ shops that they take over if they have any sense.

gline wrote: »
    True, I forgot it was nothing to do with quality.

How many different Supervalu stores have you been in?

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I know i'd prefer that pixie trifle than a lidl or aldi GOCHALSHTAGENFLUR Trifle.

Good that you like it, because you'll pay well for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Good that you like it, because you'll pay well for it!

I know, because it's nicer.

SQ has performed this - admittedly genius - business where people will pay more to shop in - what is still essentially - a supermarket where the majority of goods can be bought cheaper elsewhere but would feel ashamed to do so,.

I'm not the target audience because I just go shopping to buy decent quality food and other items wherever I can find them - supermarket, wholesalers, wherever, and I'm not concerned with paying way over the odds "for a shopping experience" or to the privilege of smelling baking bread when I shop.

This.

It's like Waitrose in the UK. Clearly it is important to some people, and I guess that grand. I personally don't care how attractively things are displayed in a shop, they'll all look the same in my cupboards!

And, seriously, more elaborate packaging does push up the price a LOT. So the higher doesn't necessarily reflect a higher quality of product.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I know, because it's nicer.

I've had many really average products from M&S. Some things are better but it's far from uniform. And you pay handsomely for those items which are decidedly average.

• Advertisement

How many different Supervalu store have you been in?

Given that Superquinn is located in areas where people have access to all major retail brands, why is it so hard to believe that their customers have experienced those other brands (SuperValu included) and have decided they think Superquinn offers better quality and choice?

If you prefer another brand that's fair enough. But why can't you understand that others disagee and are not happy to lose their preferred choice or that SuperValu may be the replacement?

Advertisement