Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Just got one of these for my daughters christmas pressie 7yr old. havent taken it out of the box yet, and I have never used andriod before. What do I need to do before christmas morning?

Ok its working, charged, a few apps that I know from my Iphone experience added.

Now any tips on Android apps for a 7yr old, preference for free obviously, but willing to pay if worth it. I really hate kids apps that popup adds or need payment later, just as its getting good!

Thanks for the info sofar, the video link was excellent.

ps its a impressive bit of kit isint it!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

4.4 has been released for the N7 2013 :-)

https://twitter.com/Android/status/400441100436918272

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The 2013? or is it 2012? Nexus is down to 169 in argos now I see, won't 4.4 be available for this now? More interested in 4.3 feature of restricting access for daughter. Can someone confirm I won't be disappointed if I buy, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    The 2013 Nexus is down to 169 in argos now I see, won't 4.4 be available for this now? More interested in 4.3 feature of restricting access for daughter. Can someone confirm I won't be disappointed if I buy, thanks

You sure it isnt the 2012 version for that price?
    The restriction feature is available on jellybean and aready available on both this years and last years models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You sure it isnt the 2012 version for that price?
    The restriction feature is available on jellybean and aready available on both this years and last years models.

Sorry must be the 2012, cheers, I thought it would be rolled out but wanted to be sure.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Sorry must be the 2012, cheers, I thought it would be rolled out but wanted to be sure.

As long as it's on at least 4.3 you'll have ability to restrict by profile
    (both 2012 and 2013 already have it).
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3461359/parental-control-on-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As others have said, the Argos offer is the 2012. However (again as others have said), restricted profiles are available on 4.3 which is out for the 2012 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

o8LNOnG.png

Just updated to 4.4, thankfully Nova does what Google did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

o8LNOnG.png

Just updated to 4.4, thankfully Nova does what Google did not.

Did you get the ota update or did you do it a different way?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Did you get the ota update or did you do it a different way?

I didn't get any OTA so I just ended up sideloading it with nexus root kit and installing it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just updated to 4.4 from stock 4.3 too. Just followed this chap's video and it was painless. The only difference for me was when it shows it sideloading through the command prompt, he has a nice neat send %, mine had tons of text scrolling past. Eventually finished and all worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the 2013 Nexus 7 16GB Wi-Fi, presumably if I just sit tight, 4.4 will eventually be available as a regular system update? For now the machine is saying I'm up to date on 4.3

Anyone know when it will be available without having to download ZIP files as in that Youtube video?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

coylemj wrote: »
    I have the 2013 Nexus 7 16GB Wi-Fi, presumably if I just sit tight, 4.4 will eventually be available as a regular system update? For now the machine is saying I'm up to date on 4.3

Anyone know when it will be available without having to download ZIP files as in that Youtube video?

It can be from a few hours to a few weeks as they send it out in batches so servers are not overloaded at once and the updates are then monitored for user related problems. Everyone will get it over the air in the end... or do the trick on the vid.

As for me, using the Nexus 5 already, I know the bugs it has and to be honest, i'm just hoping they are sorted out first before updating everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

What sort of bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Howlin1 wrote: »
    What sort of bugs?

In my case, screen flashing, ringtones sometimes very quiet on full volume, youtube app/video player apps cant handle full HD content (however browser version is fine)
    Some apps glitch along like 3D mark (benchmark part works fine but menu is stuttering)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Can anyone recommend a good case for the device (and where to get it). I've my eye on the asus travel case but PC world's price of €30 seems a bit steep. Maybe there's a similar generic version. If I'm using a case, is it necessary to also have a screen protector?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

MiCr0 wrote: »

Looks good. Were you long waiting on it? what did they charge for shipping

Looks good. Were you long waiting on it? what did they charge for shipping

Check Amazon UK. They have a good range of the Poetic cases either sold or fulfilled by Amazon UK.

I tend to buy either the Poetic or MoKo cases for my phones/tablets.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00E4OKXPU/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384790230&sr=1-13&keywords=nexus+7+poetic+slimline

Make sure you order the 2013 version!

Just side loaded to 4.4, the initial adb setup was a bit of a mess but the upgrade was then very straightforward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Has anyone had the update other than sideloading it? I've been holding off as I just haven't had time to fiddle around with it but it seems to be taking forever to roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭creedp

Interesting .. I was in PC World today comparing the Samsung Tab 3 8" and Nexus 7 which both sell for €219. The nexus is obviously a more advanced piece of equipment but the Samsung has the slightly bigger screen (good for kidss gaming/watching video) and has 16 gb or storage plus a 16gb sd card included in box to bring it to 32 gb which would be handy for storing films etc for kids for which it is predominantly why it was being purchased.

Anyway I had convinced myself that the better specced Nexus was a better purchase than the Samsung on the basis of advice read on this thread and was all ready to purchase until the sales guy dropped the clanger that categorically the nexus memory could not be expanded and definitely is not compatibile with usb sticks. So I backed off to consider further and now I read the above link which makes it clear this device works with the Nexus.

Its hard to believe that a guy selling these products cant give accurate information on their specification/capabilities.

Anyway I suppose given the title of this thread I suppose no one would give the nod to the Samsung in my case, i.e. to be used predominantly by kids which may not appreciate the higher spec of the nexus?

I can assure you that the Nexus 7 works with an USB OTG cable and USB keys.
    I use it to watch movies/tv shows when travelling.

As you said, don't believe what the guys in retail shops say as they are often incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You could also add the €25 you'd spend on that USB stick to the cost of the Nexus 7 and go for the 32GB version.
    That should give you plenty of room for storing videos with lots of games.

I saw the Nexus 7 2013 version 32GB model in Tesco for €250 which was a bargain I thought.
    Worth considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭creedp

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You could also add the €25 you'd spend on that USB stick to the cost of the Nexus 7 and go for the 32GB version.
    That should give you plenty of room for storing videos with lots of games.

I saw the Nexus 7 2013 version 32GB model in Tesco for €250 which was a bargain I thought.
    Worth considering!

Yes when you put it that way it starts to make sense. Will have a look at 32gb option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Has anyone had the update other than sideloading it? I've been holding off as I just haven't had time to fiddle around with it but it seems to be taking forever to roll out.
    Word going round that Google pulled the update due to issues :confused:

Google are not saying much:

https://plus.google.com/+Nexus/posts/5xQLJNbJxea

There is definitely something odd going on when you compare this update with previous. No reports of OTA for either N7, N4 nor N10.
    Very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

There is definitely something odd going on when you compare this update with previous. No reports of OTA for either N7, N4 nor N10.
    Very suspicious.

Lots of people have got the 4.4 update already according to the threads on reddit,and there's nothing on there to suggest Google are pulling it due to issues.I,m guessing we will all have it by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Just side loaded to 4.4, the initial adb setup was a bit of a mess but the upgrade was then very straightforward

Just got KRT16S pushed out OTA

Advertisement