Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

razor12345 wrote: »
    I have a friend heading to vegas next week, does anyone know where would sell the new nexus 7 there?

Try Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12090&type=page
    Just stick in the zip code of their hotel to find the nearest.
    I've used the one off E Flamingo Rd and near the Boulevard Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Guys, does rooting effect the official Android updates at all, do they still come down OTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine is in the US for business this week and offered to pick one up for me so I cracked & said yes! Current tablet is the HP Touchpad running Android from the fire-sale back in the day so will be a nice upgrade :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just ordered my Nexus 7. Delighted now

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Guys, does rooting effect the official Android updates at all, do they still come down OTA?

Yes they will unless any system files have been changed since rooting, eg custom roms installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Kinda surprised it hasn't been posted here already. I got an update to my Nexus 7 yesterday with another 4.3 update, no change-log or anything.

Googling around apparently it's touch-screen fixes. Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/nexus-7-2013-lte-models-return-google-play-store-touchscreen-system-fix-rolls-verizon-addresses-lack

Anyone else get this and notice anything new/fixed?
    My keyboard does seems to work better with the update, it used to have a mind of it's own sometimes. Nothing too bad but it did get annoying when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Kinda surprised it hasn't been posted here already. I got an update to my Nexus 7 yesterday with another 4.3 update, no change-log or anything.

Googling around apparently it's touch-screen fixes. Source: http://www.ibtimes.com/nexus-7-2013-lte-models-return-google-play-store-touchscreen-system-fix-rolls-verizon-addresses-lack

Anyone else get this and notice anything new/fixed?
    My keyboard does seems to work better with the update, it used to have a mind of it's own sometimes. Nothing too bad but it did get annoying when it happened.

I have noticed one or two post on here about small touch screen issues. The odd time i get an problem also but very rate. Good to see a tweak to solve it hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

i got the update but i hadn't noticed any problems that needed fixing.

Twiki wrote: »
    Yes they will unless any system files have been changed since rooting, eg custom roms installed.
    Hmm, what about if I'm using the Adfree app, I believe that modifies the hosts file?

Hmm, what about if I'm using the Adfree app, I believe that modifies the hosts file?
    Most ad free apps require root, there is however one that I believe doesn't. If you want to receive OTA updates from Google you need to be fully stock no root.
    A previous poster mentioned that if you're rooted with stock and an ad free app that doesn't mess with host files it will work, this is actually incorrect. In order to get root you need to unlock your boot loader which voids your warranty I believe so you won't receive the updates unless you do it manually or are on fully stock.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Anyone know what Dixon's in Dublin airport charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

The OTA updates install just fine for me with root and stock recovery and adfree installed. You do lose root after the update though so you need to redo that but its not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Dixon's in Dublin airport charge?

I phoned and asked them this week as I am travelling soon. They are selling at €266.24

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

The OTA updates install just fine for me with root and stock recovery and adfree installed. You do lose root after the update though so you need to redo that but its not a big deal.

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

Gonna get myself the 32gb 3G version (2103) where is the best place to buy?

Got my Nexus 7 today, be the hokey mother of god, baby Jebus and all the angels in heaven is it fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Pretty easy to type in portrait mode if you have big hands! :)
    Is there any with a more protective case for the tablet itself? Seems to be exposed at the top, I think that would be useful, I bought one of the hard edge shell ones from Moko for travel, hate to drop it.

This one maybe?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/IVSO%C2%AE-Google-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Portfolio/dp/B008Q7DDLM

Few more here: http://www.bestchoosy.com/best-nexus-7-2-fhd-bluetooth-keyboard-case-cover

I unlocked and rooted mine the other day, AdFree go go go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

As I posted here before, I bought the Poetic Slimline case for this. I think it's really excellent.

Not everyone did, apparently, so Poetic made some changes. Fair enough, products evolve.

Imagine my surprise to receive a brand new updated case today with a note from Poetic to thank me for my custom!

Quality customer service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

As I posted here before, I bought the Poetic Slimline case for this. I think it's really excellent.

Not everyone did, apparently, so Poetic made some changes. Fair enough, products evolve.

Imagine my surprise to receive a brand new updated case today with a note from Poetic to thank me for my custom!

Quality customer service.

haha, I got exactly the same just there now. Was sure someone was pranking me sending random crap to my Parcel Motel :D

• Advertisement

Any ideas what the changes are? I can see one less metal strip on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dregin wrote: »
    Any ideas what the changes are? I can see one less metal strip on the edge.

No idea - I couldn't find fault with the first one so I've left it on. I'll unwrap the replacement when the first one gets tatty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Picked up mine yesterday (friend brought it over from the states) really liking it so far, anywhere in Dublin selling cases? Had a duragadget one on the old model might go for one of those Poetic ones posted above, the official case looks decent if not a little pricey.

Anyone using Netflix on theirs? Getting a 15001 network error on launch. The girlfriend's is the same. In France atm and the app gets as far as the login screen, but no further. Probably because Netflix isn't available here.

Seems like a really weak effort from the folks at Netflix, especially considering the fact that Netflix is so closely associated with the chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone using Netflix on theirs? Getting a 15001 network error on launch. The girlfriend's is the same. In France atm and the app gets as far as the login screen, but no further. Probably because Netflix isn't available here.

Seems like a really weak effort from the folks at Netflix, especially considering the fact that Netflix is so closely associated with the chromecast.

I didn't think Netflix works on a French IP address. I have used netflix in the US and Ireland and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Maybe

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/XPjN_uMaFjI%5B1-25-false%5D

or

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2013/304695-netflix-15001-error-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Just picked up my new Nexus and love it - when I press the power button off gently to turn the screen off, is it meant to show a big flash in the centre of the screen? Sort of like when old tvs used to turn off? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

dragona wrote: »
    Just picked up my new Nexus and love it - when I press the power button off gently to turn the screen off, is it meant to show a big flash in the centre of the screen? Sort of like when old tvs used to turn off? :)
    I hope so, 'cos mine does the same!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dragona wrote: »

All Nexus devices do that I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

5starpool wrote: »
    All Nexus devices do that I believe.

Can be turned on or off in the animation settings.

Advertisement