Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Did you miss the other advice about this potentially messing up your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickwal

I am trying to buy a nexus 7 2013 version with GPS and 3g 4g enabled for use here in Ireland.
    Have been told by Pcworld currys help line that thay are in their shops here but in the shops they say GPS model not here and not 3g or 4g enabled. They say if I buy from UK it will not work here.
    The Asus website specifies GPS and 3G 4G enabled 0n the 2013 model.
    Any ideas?
    Mickwal

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

What are your must have app?

Mine are:
    News
    Accu Weather
    BBC
    RT
    RTE
    NBC
    PopSci
    Still trying out the Currents and Flipboard apps.

Communications
    Cabbage
    Photo
    Photoaf
    Instagram
    Flickr

Music
    Mixcloud
    Soundcloud
    Shazam

Games
    Word Feud
    Ruzzle
    Tiny Tower

So far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

iamstop wrote: »
    Still trying out the Currents and Flipboard apps.

Currents is now replaced by Newstand which has a nicer interface and similar to Flipboard. Flipboard is pretty great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Got the update on Saturday and now VLC player won't work. Downloaded MX Player but video is very "jumpy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Anyone having issues connecting to wifi since the KitKat update?

Mine will refuse to reconnect after a while. Only cure is a restart, after which everything is rosey for a while, but it always starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Still waiting for the update :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

OH got me the 32GB in the states last weekend - its for christmas though! 260 USD - not bad, had a bit of a play before it was put back in the box! Got a 25 USD Play store voucher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

iamstop wrote: »
    What are your must have app?

I really like:

Pulse: somewhat similar to Flipboard but much more compact. Particularly good for reddit, imgur and those kind of sites.

Pocket:Add the extension to Chrome or Firefox on your PC and it saves any page you want to the Nexus. Handy for reading articles when you have no internet access.

Pushbullet: Again it requires the extension for Chrome or Firefox. Essentially it allows you to push files up to 25mb directly onto the Nexus. Have found it very handy. You can install it on all your android devices and send to any.

Impetus: A really easy to use interval timer. Very customisable.

Whats App: annoying that you can't use the same number as your phone (just used a random sim that I found a drawer to set it up). Great app!

mysms: Lets you send text messages from your tablet. Need to have your phone turned on. Handy not needing to have it beside you all the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just after getting the update, come up saying only available until the 26th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Mine said 22nd I think.
    I'm guessing that's how long you have in the current rollout batch to claim your download after which if you haven't downloaded the update your place is given to someone else.

I'm guessing based on this article from a Google engineer.
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/20/google-engineer-dan-morrill-sheds-some-light-on-the-nexus-ota-process-urges-you-to-never-clear-google-service-framework-data/
    If they are rolling out an update in batches so that they can catch any faults that might exist before it hits the whole user base it makes sense to revoke a users place in the earlier batches if they aren't using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

I got the update last night, wasn't even checking for it. Rebooted to install, half way through installation it says "Error" and the little Android man looked fairly dead! Anyone got any ideas of what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

anyone know where has the best deal on a 16gb one at the moment. the little lady wants a tablet for christmas. i thought a pack of panadol would do but no!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

Nice little app - 'Silence'.

For me this app is very useful as I can schedule 'no alerts' during the night.

This I don't understand, why not switch it off over night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You can do this with light flow as well, plus it also allows you to customise the LED colours for different notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This I don't understand, why not switch it off over night?
    jester77 wrote: »
    You can do this with light flow as well, plus it also allows you to customise the LED colours for different notifications.

OK, I leave my phone on at night as I use it for my alarm (and I use Shush! to knock off the volume) but for the life of me I can't see why you'd leave a tablet on overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Auto rotate acting up for anyone with KitKat?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Hi Everyone,

I see my N7 has the icon on saying touch to install update. I guess this is the OTA update to Kit Kat. Am not sure I want it, as it seems that people are having issues with the update. Has anyone installed it without any issues side effects.

Thanks

Many people have no problems with it, many other people do have problems however. The Ulsterbank app is one example with problems.

Just leave it a few weeks if you are that worried, it's no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

Bligh wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I see my N7 has the icon on saying touch to install update. I guess this is the OTA update to Kit Kat. Am not sure I want it, as it seems that people are having issues with the update. Has anyone installed it without any issues side effects.

Thanks

My update happened automatically and I have not had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Finally got the update. Slow enough to download (~250 MB) but I guess the servers are getting pounded.

Installed fine. No issues so far. Feels snappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

No problem here after a few days use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OK, I leave my phone on at night as I use it for my alarm (and I use Shush! to knock off the volume) but for the life of me I can't see why you'd leave a tablet on overnight.

I never turn off my tablet at all. I let it sit on its charger during the night, this is when my TV shows are recorded to my server and synced to the tablet for viewing the next morning using plex. These devices were made to be always on, they are not PCs.

PCs are most certainly made with the fact they'll be always left on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Young lad broke the screen on my nexus 7 last night, crack from top to bottom and only one side of the screen working for touch now:(

anyone know where has the best deal on a 16gb one at the moment

Amazon.co.uk have them for £179 at the moment, only a few left. Free UK delivery, so with a parcel motel from the North to the republic you could get it for about €220.

They had them direct from amazon yesterday with free shipping to Ireland for the same price, but they're all gone.

Am seriously thinking of taking the plunge on one of these. My netbook is handy but kind of underpowered for anything more than the basics, and i have an iphone and a gen 1 ipad/coffee coaster but i'm getting very fed up of apple's restrictive ecosystem and worsening attitude to bug fixes and customer service.

Am thinking of seeing what this android lark is all about....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

The 32Gb is available from Amazon.com for €235 with all customs and duties paid, not sure what the 16GB is available for, the thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090409

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Going to order this from Amazon now. Any recommendations on a nice case to go with it when I am getting it delivered?

• Advertisement

I don't bother with any case or cover, because it makes it difficult to fit in pocket.

One of the great things about the 2013 Nexus 7 is it's portability. Easily fits in inside coat pocket, and also into a normal jeans pocket surprisingly. Would not recommend putting it on your back pocket and sitting on it tho...

Anything more bulky would necessitate the use of a handbag / "man bag" :pac:

Advertisement