Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Hope this helps some of my issues, my 2013 went to crap after one of the updates, either lollipop or kitkat, cant recall which. Apps frequently not responding and have to be closed and restarted, in general much slower, keyboard malfunctions.

I hate having constant updates forced on me that actually make things worse, that I can't reverse. I did a factory reset and still have the same problems. Last week anytime I went to turn it on it was super slow because it wanted to update Google docs, which I had to wait ages for it to complete, even though I never use that app.

I'm convinced they know darn well the updates will eff up older models and they plan this to persuade people to buy new ones. Which makes no sense because I won't buy from them again if I wasn't happy, I will try another company.

Another problem I had was the cord, which was never long enough, split near the mini usb side and stopped working. I put a different mini USB cable into the adapter plug and it will charge the tablet, but not fast enough, (ie: if the tablet is on 2 or 3% and I plug in the charger, I can't keep using it, the battery will still decrease and it dies. With the original cord I could use it and battery would charge too)

While it was still a good value for the money, I will spend a bit extra for an iPad next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

Custom rom cyangenmod, nexus tool kit does it seemlessly, cuts out all the google crap + regular updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

scudzilla wrote: »
    Any way of pushing it through or is it a case of waiting?

links to factory images here androidpolice.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Would I be able to take mine back to carphone warehouse and get them to sort the issue?
    Really annoyed that a quality tablet can be ruined by one of these updates.
    Is there a warranty on these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Would I be able to take mine back to carphone warehouse and get them to sort the issue?
    Really annoyed that a quality tablet can be ruined by one of these updates.
    Is there a warranty on these things?

Factory reset should do it for you.

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    Factory reset should do it for you.

Will it put the Nexus back to the previous update? I don't think the factory reset does that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Factory reset didnt do squat for me, apps still stop responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Somehow managed to hard brick my N7 while flashing kitkat back onto it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just over a week into this since updating and runs super smooth. Battery life greatly extended and no delay or lag anywhere thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭corkie

Unless you somehow managed to corrupt your bootloader (or have a locked bootloader). You may be able to recover from it!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

can you get to recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Have never been able to unbrick my Nexus 7II, unfortunately it sits in a drawer, only got 18 months out of it, if anyone knows a lad in Dublin city who can unbrick it, please do let me know. I miss it for the train when commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

irishchris wrote: »
    Just over a week into this since updating and runs super smooth. Battery life greatly extended and no delay or lag anywhere thankfully

Same here. Android Marshmallow has cured even the sensor problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

F**king Sky Go wont work on Marshmallow. Should have known :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

corkie wrote: »
    Unless you somehow managed to corrupt your bootloader (or have a locked bootloader). You may be able to recover from it!
    stanley1 wrote: »
    can you get to recovery.
    Fiskar wrote: »
    Have never been able to unbrick my Nexus 7II, unfortunately it sits in a drawer, only got 18 months out of it, if anyone knows a lad in Dublin city who can unbrick it, please do let me know. I miss it for the train when commuting.

There is no sign of life on it, the screen remains blank after pressing power button and power+volume.

have you power cable inserted when you are pressing buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Finally got the update today.

Sky go working fine here on marshmallow.

I did a hard reset on my Nexus 7 that had been bricked by the Lollipop update. It wiped everything but the same problem remains. A very laggy tablet I am left with. Called into Carphone Warehouse and they didn't want to know once their 18 month warranty is up.
    As for contacting Google I have no idea how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I did a hard reset on my Nexus 7 that had been bricked by the Lollipop update. It wiped everything but the same problem remains. A very laggy tablet I am left with. Called into Carphone Warehouse and they didn't want to know once their 18 month warranty is up.
    As for contacting Google I have no idea how.

You should have at least two years warranty, or else they break the EU law.
    See here for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I seem to remember seeing a comment on one of their forums that a recent update to Sky Go will result in it not working if your phone is rooted. Could that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I did a hard reset on my Nexus 7 that had been bricked by the Lollipop update. It wiped everything but the same problem remains. A very laggy tablet I am left with.
    Clampdown wrote: »
    Hope this helps some of my issues, my 2013 went to crap after one of the updates, either lollipop or kitkat, cant recall which. Apps frequently not responding and have to be closed and restarted, in general much slower, keyboard malfunctions.

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) , running Marshmallow, build number MRA58V, on kernel version 3.4.0-ga5a4133. It is easily as fast as it was day one. If your device is laggy, put it in safe mode to determine if it is the device or the app you downloaded onto the device. This is the only way of finding a solution to you problem!
    I hate having constant updates forced on me that actually make things worse, that I can't reverse. I did a factory reset and still have the same problems. Last week anytime I went to turn it on it was super slow because it wanted to update Google docs, which I had to wait ages for it to complete, even though I never use that app.
    How long do you think it would take to update Microsoft Office on a laptop? Google docs is the equivalent, so it will take a while to update, but you can uninstall it if you are not using it.
    I'm convinced they know darn well the updates will eff up older models and they plan this to persuade people to buy new ones. Which makes no sense because I won't buy from them again if I wasn't happy, I will try another company.
    Not sure where to begin with this comment, some critics say Google stop issuing updates after 18 months to get people to buy new devices, you're now saying they issue regular updates to get people to buy new devices.
    Another problem I had was the cord, which was never long enough, split near the mini usb side and stopped working. I put a different mini USB cable into the adapter plug and it will charge the tablet, but not fast enough, (ie: if the tablet is on 2 or 3% and I plug in the charger, I can't keep using it, the battery will still decrease and it dies. With the original cord I could use it and battery would charge too)
    I agree with the power cord being short, but then I use Amazon, so it's never a problem for me to buy a long one if i need it, they cost feck all.
    There is no sign of life on it, the screen remains blank after pressing power button and power+volume.
    Did you try another USB cable, and leave it charging for a number of hours. Then try and turn it on. What you say makes me think the problem is with the battery not the OS being bricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ True. Marshmallow update working really well.

I did a hard reset on my Nexus 7 that had been bricked by the Lollipop update. It wiped everything but the same problem remains. A very laggy tablet I am left with. Called into Carphone Warehouse and they didn't want to know once their 18 month warranty is up. As for contacting Google I have no idea how.

I think I found the solution to the laggy nexus 7. Incredibly it seems to be a simple thing. I found it on YouTube.
    Pull down your notification window. You will see a 'location' setting. Touch it to turn it off. This seems to solve my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Alun wrote: »
    I seem to remember seeing a comment on one of their forums that a recent update to Sky Go will result in it not working if your phone is rooted. Could that be it?

I don't think Sky Go ever worked on rooted devices? I haven't got Sky anymore but when I did awhile back Sky Go wouldn't work on my rooted devices.

I don't think Sky Go ever worked on rooted devices? I haven't got Sky anymore but when I did awhile back Sky Go wouldn't work on my rooted devices.

Yes sky go does not work in rooted devices. Even with root cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

just got an ota update for my nexus 7 2013 . 6.01

Advertisement