Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 (2013)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

tony1980 wrote: »

Is the one in the link suitable for the 2013 version?

creedp wrote: »
    Is the one in the link suitable for the 2013 version?

Ah, not sure about that. I have the original model.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Cathy Makes Cards

Going to order this from Amazon now. Any recommendations on a nice case to go with it when I am getting it delivered?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E4OKXPU/ref=pe_186441_41886821_em_1p_0_ti

For 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

I've been reading this thread as I'm looking for a tablet for my 8 year old for xmas. She is familiar with Ipad but I don't want to spend so much buying one for an 8 year old. Likewise don't want to buy a kids specific tablet as it will be no match for an Ipad. Had my mind nearly made up on the Nexus (might stretch to the 2013 model). Went to look at them in Currys last night and sales person kind of pushed me in the direction of the Samsung Galaxy tab 3 which is €159 for the 7' or €220 for 10'. Nexus 7 is working out at €220.
    Any opinions, do I save myself €60 and go with the Samsung or is the Nexus the way to go ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Haven't got either but just saw that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is £99 here.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-7-8gb-tablet-99-with-code-tesco-direct-1726169

Deliver via Parcel Motel to save yourself a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Macer123 wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread as I'm looking for a tablet for my 8 year old for xmas. She is familiar with Ipad but I don't want to spend so much buying one for an 8 year old. Likewise don't want to buy a kids specific tablet as it will be no match for an Ipad. Had my mind nearly made up on the Nexus (might stretch to the 2013 model). Went to look at them in Currys last night and sales person kind of pushed me in the direction of the Samsung Galaxy tab 3 which is €159 for the 7' or €220 for 10'. Nexus 7 is working out at €220.
    Any opinions, do I save myself €60 and go with the Samsung or is the Nexus the way to go ??

go to this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057093631

Lenovo 7" tablet for €47.99 use the code A1000BLACK you will need to re enter the code at the checkout for the discount price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The nexus has the most up to date version of andriod, which supports restricted profiles. This means you can set it up so that only certain apps/ games are accessible, and not the internet or play store (so they can't access stuff you don't want them too, or spend money!). For me that's a big thing, others are less bothered, but that's my reasoning for going for the Nexus for my own children.

I've been reading this thread as I'm looking for a tablet for my 8 year old for xmas...Any opinions, do I save myself €60 and go with the Samsung or is the Nexus the way to go ??

Well if it's for an eight year old it will hardly make much of a difference, but as posted, the nexus with droid 4.3 on it can be set up with a kids profile as well as an adults profile, or even separate ones for both mum and dad so it's a gift that the whole family will use.

Watch out for salesmen in a particular shop pushing a particular product on you. If their opinion of it being better isn't backed up by independent user reviews online etc it could easily be as simple as them making more commission on it or it having more margin for the retailer. I've been on both sides of that particular counter, and it's not always the customer's best interest that motivates the salesperson.

The nexus 7 (2013) seems to come in very high on best tablets lists everywhere in terms of both the spec you get for the money, and also in terms of just the spec itself. It's screen in particular seems to put everything else out there to shame, regardless of price.

The rear camera is supposed to be mediocre on it, especially for shots in poor light, but really, who cares? The only major niggle i would have with it versus some others is the lack of expandable storage, no SD card slot etc, and low internal storage (particularly on the 16gb model after you take 3 or 4 gb off that for the operating system) but I'm kind of telling myself that with google drive, dropbox, and all the other cloud storage services out there that offer plenty of free storage combined with the fact that most of the media i use now is streaming services like spotify, netflix, etc rather than locally stored stuff, that's less and less likely to be of any concern.

Even now, 90% of the time i'm using a gadget i'm either on a decent wifi network, or streaming stuff via personal hotspot over 3G on my phone, and those speeds are only likely to pick up over the next while as the mobile networks roll out 4G, so how much of an issue is limited local storage really likely to be?

Thanks everyone for the comments, keep them coming.
    One other thing the Salesperson in Currys pointed out, was the absolute need for anti-virus software on all Android devices, something he pointed out was not needed on Apple !! Is this another cost I'll need to fork out ?

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    go to this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057093631

Lenovo 7" tablet for €47.99 use the code A1000BLACK you will need to re enter the code at the checkout for the discount price

Reviews/comments here on boards not looking good !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Thanks everyone for the comments, keep them coming.
    One other thing the Salesperson in Currys pointed out, was the absolute need for anti-virus software on all Android devices, something he pointed out was not needed on Apple !! Is this another cost I'll need to fork out ?

Just completely ignore anything those clowns say. If they actually had a clue they would not be working in such a job.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Haven't got either but just saw that the Samsung Galaxy Tab is £99 here.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-7-8gb-tablet-99-with-code-tesco-direct-1726169

Deliver via Parcel Motel to save yourself a few quid.

Can only see the Galaxy 2 tab on the Tesco web site for £99 but in a hurry and will check again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Bligh wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I see my N7 has the icon on saying touch to install update. I guess this is the OTA update to Kit Kat. Am not sure I want it, as it seems that people are having issues with the update. Has anyone installed it without any issues side effects.

Thanks

Well I installed the update and all is well no issues,

Thanks for all the replies

Can only see the Galaxy 2 tab on the Tesco web site for £99 but in a hurry and will check again later.

Yes the Galaxy 3 tab is in available for £99 with voucher code TDX-NHW4 delivered to Parcel Motel.

Just picked up one of these in PC World/Curry's for €249 with a €30 cash back special offer making it €219. That was the cheapest walk-in price i could see anywhere. Comparable to the best prices i'd seen online and no wait.

The offer is running till this Wednesday. I have no affiliation with PC world, in fact i'd generally avoid them because their returns policy is crap, but hey, at that price for a walk-in store, it was too good to turn down.

Lovely little tablet. As a newbie, android has me scratching my head a bit, but that's only temporary, and it's clear as soon as you take out of the box and fire it up that it's a bargain for the amount of tech you get. An SD card slot for storage expansion would have made it the best value on the market hands down, but hey, you can't have everything....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

anyone sideloaded 4.4.1 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just picked up one of these in PC World/Curry's for €249 with a €30 cash back special offer making it €219. That was the cheapest walk-in price i could see anywhere. Comparable to the best prices i'd seen online and no wait.

The offer is running till this Wednesday. I have no affiliation with PC world, in fact i'd generally avoid them because their returns policy is crap, but hey, at that price for a walk-in store, it was too good to turn down.

Dammit, just went into the shop there and its back to €299.

Does anyone know where I can get one for under €250 before xmas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Dammit, just went into the shop there and its back to €299.

Does anyone know where I can get one for under €250 before xmas?

Cheers.

Did you try Amazon UK? £179 there (~€215).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet-16GB/dp/B00EANTELE/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1386339947&sr=1-2&keywords=nexus+7+2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

299 for 32gig one
    16gb one should be 250

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thats pretty good! Dammit, and I just got it for €261 off Amazon last night!! :p
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELO/

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Does anyone know how to set up a Vodafone ie email account on the nexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Suddenly a White N7 appears on the Play Store!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Does anyone know how to set up a Vodafone ie email account on the nexus?

http://www.vodafone.ie/email-on-your-phone/support/#product_tab_3 Follow same instructions as for android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Podge250

Any body else just get update 4.4.2??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Podge250 wrote: »
    Any body else just get update 4.4.2??

Yup. I can't even remembering getting 4.4.1 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

4.4.2 just rolled a fix for the SMS vulnerability into 4.4.1 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ethernet wrote: »
    Yup. I can't even remembering getting 4.4.1 :confused: