Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is alcoholism a disease?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it not OCD like a lot of other things?, not so sure OCD is a disease, if it is we've all got a touch of it in one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Where is the pathogen? Where is the marker? When is the onset? What is the cure? Can it be cured?

These questions are all easily answered when we talk about real diseases. For alcoholism there are no such answers.
    1) Mental illness isn't distributed by a pathogen.

2) Not sure about that, but I'm not studying it in a clinical setting.

3&4) Some diseases don't have cures, yet, or possibly ever.

So, none of your points preclude it from being a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

when you call addictive behaviour a disease it's axiomatic that it will require a 'cure' - enter all sorts of charlatans, snake oil salesmen and puritans.
    It can require treatment though.

Calling it a disease isn't automatically absolving the person of responsibility either. But the propensity to become addicted isn't something everyone has.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    No, it's not a disease, and to classify it as such is merely excusing people for a behaviour that is within their power to change when they learn to deal with the underlying causes of their addiction.

yes, it is, and for you to state that its not, against some of the greatest medical institutes across the world, is ridiculous really.

Do you have a medical or scientific degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

gowley wrote: »
    a lot of organisations more qualified than you or me state that it is a disease.

Please provide a source so that I may cast aspersions upon it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bettybarlow

Tough one for me. I am a woman in her 50's who is an alcoholic (denied it to myself and family for years)

I don't want to hurt anybody who is an alcoholic or who is the family of one. I am struggling with my addiction at the moment and have been for 8 years.

I must say this. I drank from 18 to 20, couple of times per week, then stopped for 20 years. Then from 40 to 43 about 3 drinks a month. Stopped 43 to 46. Then from 46 till now every day.

If my brain is different and I can't help myself but drink, why now. Why not an addiction any other time I drank.

I really do not mean to hurt anyone else by posting this but there must be some element of it being a habit or a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If you remove the poison (alcohol) as if by magic the organism heals itself.

Also, calling alcoholism a disease can have the effect of absolving the person of responsibility for his condition. I has a disease I can't help it.

Further, when you call addictive behaviour a disease it's axiomatic that it will require a 'cure' - enter all sorts of charlatans, snake oil salesmen and puritans.

The Cure, Enter Shikari, The Charlatans, White Snake and These New Puritans all in one sentence. Are you sure you're not addicted to music?

use google, its all there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

look at the bloody link provided or go to the bother of googling it as already stated. or just stick to your own opinion and ignore the experts.

Tough one for me. I am a woman in her 50's who is an alcoholic (denied it to myself and family for years)

I don't want to hurt anybody who is an alcoholic or who is the family of one. I am struggling with my addiction at the moment and have been for 8 years.

I must say this. I drank from 18 to 20, couple of times per week, then stopped for 20 years. Then from 40 to 43 about 3 drinks a month. Stopped 43 to 46. Then from 46 till now every day.

If my brain is different and I can't help myself but drink, why now. Why not an addiction any other time I drank.

I really do not mean to hurt anyone else by posting this but there must be some element of it being a habit or a choice.

You're not hurting anyone Betty, hope you are getting some help at the moment.

• Advertisement

It can require treatment though.

So can being possessed by demons. Disney mean that it's a real disease though. Also, there a very simple way of curing this 'disease' - stop drinking.
    Calling it a disease isn't automatically absolving the person of responsibility either.

I've actually spoken to people who told me about their problem and how they can't help themselves because they have this terrible disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Okay can't hold back any more.

Disease my hole. It's no more a disease than punching yourself in the face repeatedly is 'swollen face disease'.

Could you explain the logic in this, I find it very offensive to be honest. I am a recovering alcoholic who thankfully hasn't had a drink in over ten years. The mental and physical compulsion for alcohol I experienced I can only liken to being possessed. The inability to refrain from alcohol no matter how much I wanted to brought me to homelessness and even to two occasions when I attempted suicide to try escape from the hell that alcoholism is.

Removing alcohol doesn't cure the disease either, even after ten years I can still feel at times that the compulsion is only just about under control, the disease is still present even though I'm not drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

So can being possessed by demons. Disney mean that it's a real disease though. Also, there a very simple way of curing this 'disease' - stop drinking.

You absolute genius! How has nobody ever thought of this before?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not a disease when the person decides to take that first drink but when longing for booze takes over their life then yeah IMO it is.

I saw my uncle drink himself to death, he just couldn't resist the booze once it took hold of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I've actually spoken to people who told me about their problem and how they can't help themselves because they have this terrible disease.

see thats an easy cop out when you don't suffer from alcoholism, its easy for you or me to just stop drinking but not an alcoholic

Jake1 wrote: »
    use google, its all there really.
    gowley wrote: »
    look at the bloody link provided or go to the bother of googling it as already stated. or just stick to your own opinion and ignore the experts.

I'll see your link and raise you a medical journal rebuttal.
    The specific disease concept, associated mainly with the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, is contradicted by empirical evidence and unhelpful for preventive and treatment responses to problem drinking, especially for the effort to detect and modify problem drinking at an early stage. The more general disease concept shares these disadvantages and is also ineffective in engendering sympathetic attitudes towards problem drinkers among the general public.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1545723

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Excellent article on alcoholism and the mind and may stop needless back and fourths on opinion alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

You've got the cart before the horse here. Alchoholism isn't defined by drinking too much, it's like any addiction, definined by wanting/needing to drink so much that it disrupts daily life.

Could you explain the logic in this

It's really rather simple. Remove the poison and the organism heals itself.

I find it very offensive to be honest.

Hmmm... grumble.

You're not hurting anyone Betty, hope you are getting some help at the moment.

I am in alcoholics anonymous and am currently ten days without a drink (longest time in 5 years). Thank you for kind thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

So if you just take booze off an alcoholic and make them come off it cold turkey, just the once, they'll be 'cured'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hmmm... grumble.

Have you ever tried to keep alcohol away from an alcoholic? unless you lock them away like a criminal on death row 24/7 it just doesnt happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I am in alcoholics anonymous and am currently ten days without a drink (longest time in 5 years). Thank you for kind thoughts.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I think for some its a disease and for others the fact that it can be a disease is an excuse. I don't think every body who has an alcohol addiction has a disease because not everyone reasons for drinking are the same.

Glad to hear it. Keep going to your meetings as much as you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think the OP is thinking of the word disease in terms of bugs, infections, virii etc ie. Something you catch. A pathogen as he said himself. "Make sure you get your shots so you don't get infected with all those tropical diseases in sub saharan africa" etc

In relation to alchoholism, the term is used like Heart Disease or Lung Disease.

Glad to hear it. Keep going to your meetings as much as you can :)
    Well done!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

It doesn't heal though, as I said above the disease is still present in me today after ten years. I would say without doubt that like any disease it has progressed over the past ten years of no alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Excellent article on alcoholism and the mind and may stop needless back and fourths on opinion alone.

That article is around the physical effects of alcohol consumption on the brain. What is it's relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Is it not OCD like a lot of other things?, not so sure OCD is a disease, if it is we've all got a touch of it in one way or another.

OCD is absolutely a disease, and we haven't all got a touch of it.

Advertisement