Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Schmidt drop BOD?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Those 10/11 games are loads if a centre partnership settles straight off the bat, but what if it doesn't? You've 10 games to give maybe 3 players a shot at 13 with different 12's inside them.

This is important. We don't yet know who our next RWC 12 will be. And those 10/11 games can't all go to BOD's replacement. What ii our new 13 gets injured?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

jm08 wrote: »
    Jonathan Davies got capped on the summer tour in 2009. He was dropped for the 2010 6Ns, but went on tour to NZ & Australia in 2010. He has 39 caps now and its really only on the Lions tour that he was rated. He had a very poor game against Ireland in this 6Ns.

Toby Faletau career mirrors Conor Murrays trajectory in that they both came to the fore in the warm-up games for the world cup. Many here didn't approve of Murray's quick promotion. Leigh 1/2penny has been around for about 5 years now.

My point was that the Welsh team in the 2010 6N didn't mirror the team that did so well in the RWC.

I think a winning team now is more important than picking players for the RWC now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Should Schmidt drop BOD? No

Should BOD play every minute of every test until he retires? No

Just needs a wee period of well-managed transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

O'Driscoll is still a brilliant player on both sides of the ball so no way should he be left out. Simple as that for me. Plus he is also a great leader. Maybe he doesn't start every game and is left out a few times to save the body so to speak. But no doubt for me I would want O'Driscoll on the field as much as possible next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

eire4 wrote: »
    O'Driscoll is still a brilliant player on both sides of the ball so no way should he be left out. Simple as that for me. Plus he is also a great leader. Maybe he doesn't start every game and is left out a few times to save the body so to speak. But no doubt for me I would want O'Driscoll on the field as much as possible next season.

I think you hit the nail on the head, he is a great player/leader and someone we really need in our squad against teams like NZ, Aus, Wales And England. It also worth remembering that Joe is the type of coach that tends to build a team and I'm sure BOD himself know's he can't play every game and Joe is smart enough to know this as well, so I fully expect to see BOD's understudy/replacement going forward on show during the AI's and next years 6 nations as I really can't see BOD playing the Samoa, Scotland or Italy games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Basically the question should be do we think one season is enough to develop any of BOD's potential replacements to the point where they're up to playing at a World Cup. If not then they should be given the game time to reach the standard required, regardless of whether BOD's available or not.

Of course that doesn't mean dropping BOD altogether, but using him sparingly with his replacements getting enough significant gametime.

Whats more important, WC2015 or the coming international season?

I'm a bit torn to be honest.

I don't like this RWC cycle crap. If we're thinking like that then we're potentially looking to sacrifice a competition we have a strong chance of winning (the 2014 6Ns) for another competition 2 years away that we have a far smaller chance of winning. We have a summer tour next year, Autumn Internationals, the 2015 6Ns and the RWC warm-ups. That's 13-14 games. If we can't find a new centre pairing in that time-frame then we're in trouble. We need to get back to winning ways and soon. We need to stop the rot that's set in. The best 13 for that job is Drico. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

CatFromHue wrote: »
    After the 13/14 season there'll be

3 November Internationals in Nov 2014
    5 6N games in Feb/Mar 2015
    2 or 3 RWC warm up games in Aug 2015

That's 10 or 11 games after next season before the RWC i.e. the 13/14 season is too early to be picking your team for the 2015 RWC.

Another way to look it is that in the 2010 6N none of Jonathan Davies, Toby Faletau, or Rhys Priestland were playing for Wales. Halfpenny was playing on the wing then too.

You can probably add the summer tour in 2014 (Argentina?) to the list as I can't see BOD going on that so that would be another 3 games.

Edit- Mollyj just mentioned the summer tour but anyway I agree it is enough time to find someone.

By the way for followers of Cricket Ashston Agar is Australia's 13th spinner since Shane Warne retired in 2007. The relevant point is that we could start replacing BOD now or in 12 months time or whenever, it's unlikely he will be adequately replaced for a long time. Remember 20 years separated Mike Gibson's retirement and BOD's debut, that's probably a fair reflection of how rare these guys are be it any sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

For all the talk of 13, what are we going to do at 12 is a bigger question in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

For all the talk of 13, what are we going to do at 12 is a bigger question in my eyes.

Perhaps. I can't see Munster or Leinster providing the 12 for the next world cup. In saying that though, at Ulster, with Marshall, Olding and Farrell, you'd have to assume that whoever gets a hold of that jersey, is a bloody good player.

At Connacht, McSharry has impressed a lot of people despite only playing two seasons of pro rugby. His defence is arguably the best of any of the inside centres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Marshall can stop injuring his head than he is the stand out candidate there.

As has been mentioned a few times, I think the Irish centre pairing is going to have a lot to do with who ends up at 12 and 13 for Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Should Schmidt drop BOD? No

Should BOD play every minute of every test until he retires? No

Just needs a wee period of well-managed transition.

I'm sick of your sensible, oft ignored rational posts.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If Marshall can stop injuring his head than he is the stand out candidate there.

As has been mentioned a few times, I think the Irish centre pairing is going to have a lot to do with who ends up at 12 and 13 for Ulster.

It's out of his hands about his head injury. For all the talk about BOD's head injury against France I genuinely thought Marshall was dead that day. He was out of it for so long.

Buer wrote: »

May I kindly return the platitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Buer wrote: »
    May I kindly return the platitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Damn it. Beaten to the punch line by a matter seconds. Curse you Ugo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

molloyjh wrote: »
    Damn it. Beaten to the punch line by a matter seconds. Curse you Ugo!

Been waiting a while to use that one! :D

I'm the young'un, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

tumblr_lhiqhz3POG1qgo8bgo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is it? Marshall has it nailed on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Its called a 'skip' pass....

Earls...? please....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

.ak wrote: »
    Is it? Marshall has it nailed on for me.

There's a handful of younger guys about now that the long term prospects at 12 look fairly secure. Marshall, Olding, JJ, and behind them again Daly in the Leinster academy looks a great prospect.

Yep. Marshall's at the top of the list. Surprisingly, about 18 months ago we had no answer for 12, with maybe only McFadden in the running to take up Darce's role, but now there's plenty of prospects. So much so that Ferg probably won't get a look in.

Marshall has all the natural ability, talent, size and potential to fill the role, he just needs more game time to iron out the unforced errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

.ak wrote: »
    Yep. Marshall's at the top of the list. Surprisingly, about 18 months ago we had no answer for 12, with maybe only McFadden in the running to take up Darce's role, but now there's plenty of prospects. So much so that Ferg probably won't get a look in.

Marshall has all the natural ability, talent, size and potential to fill the role, he just needs more game time to iron out the unforced errors.

He might want to wear some sort of helmet too.

Yeah, that's obviously a big thing. But I have a feeling we saw so many concussions from him because he was brought back too early from concussion in the first place.

Advertisement