Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Schmidt drop BOD?

Options
  • 16-07-2013 8:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭

Brian O'Driscoll is in his final year of his career by all accounts, his value to Irish rugby over the last decade plus cannot be measured and has been clearly invaluable to the growth of the game in this country. He is however retiring at the end of the season.

The 2015 rugby world cup is almost 2 years away, a replacement for BOD will be required, should Ireland begin that transitioning now? Or should BOD be kept on until he retires from Ireland post the 2014 6 nations?

Yes or No? 30 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Nemesisneilmceltic_ozArt_WolfTristrambuck65Peadar06redvedtritiumflyingoutsidePaddysnapperTobyglenPhatPigginsscurnaneDEFTLEFTHANDcivilnugThe JmanBusted Flat.hoodwinkedcjr56 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'd imagine he'll get 50% of the starts for the Autumns and we'll be seeing another for the others. Depending on how that goes and how the two perform for their provinces, it'll be interesting to see who gets the starting 13 for the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

NO WAY should BOD be dropped until he has to be dropped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

6N = best player plays.

A game against Scotland/Italy or even a whole 6N isn't going to catapult Earls or Cave into greatness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think there is more value to having his presence in the squad, than out of it. With how Joe works, you can't take for granted he's always going to be a starter. Also his experience and advice is going to be invaluable now more than ever for whoever is coming in at 13.

With how Joe works, you can't take for granted he's always going to be a starter.

He's never dropped him before, I fail to see why he'd start now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He's never dropped him before, I fail to see why he'd start now.

He'll use whoever is available, however he feels is best over a range of games. He's held back with bod before with that mindset. At least the end of the last season as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

November + Summer tests are the times to be thinking of future World Cups.

BOD is still one of the best players in the World. Ireland have a stronger chance of winning matches with him than without ATM. Therefore it's a non-starter; he plays in the 6 Nations.

Schmidt can experiment during the November Series. I'd have him against the All Blacks - given the Gigantic Monster Monkey on our back there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No.

Not for sentimental reasons or anything like that, but because we don't have a 13 who can touch him still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

I obviously don't agree but i've read it other places that he should, wonder if we will find a poster on here able to justify it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For the AI games yes. Time to give our next 13 their shot.

One of the biggest criticisms of kidney was his over reliance on the old guard. I'd like that to change under Schmidt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

JagerScout wrote: »
    I obviously don't agree but i've read it other places that he should, wonder if we will find a poster on here able to justify it.

The justification is that he's old and that no Irish player has a had a long crack at the no.13 jersey in a generation. When he goes we will miss him and we should be prepared.

That's not enough for me to be quite honest but there are people of that opinion.

awec wrote: »
    For the AI games yes. Time to give our next 13 their shot.

One of the biggest criticisms of kidney was his over reliance on the old guard. I'd like that to change under Schmidt.

Just on the first sentence, who is our next 13?

The "old guard" inherently aren't a problem. It's when he stuck with the old guard (mostly Munster players) when they were not fit for purpose anymore and there were clearly better players there to take over. DOC was getting a game for Ireland after he'd been dropped by Munster and was patently not a better player than Ryan anymore for example. There's nobody in Ireland better than BOD at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Schmidt can try out some new blood without dropping BOD though. Makes no sense to throw another 13 into the deep end while we have someone like BOD available.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The more important question is if Schmidt will bring John Hayes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The more important question is if Schmidt will bring John Hayes back.

Every other team has big centres,putting the Bull at 13 would kill two birds with one stone.

danthefan wrote: »
    Just on the first sentence, who is our next 13?

The "old guard" inherently aren't a problem. It's when he stuck with the old guard (mostly Munster players) when they were not fit for purpose anymore and there were clearly better players there to take over. DOC was getting a game for Ireland after he'd been dropped by Munster and was patently not a better player than Ryan anymore for example. There's nobody in Ireland better than BOD at 13.

there is only one way to find out who our next 13 is.

I don't want another 10 situation where we had no idea who was behind sexton due to kidneys inability to look beyond ROG.

there are a lot of parallels that can be drawn here, and we should learn from our mistakes IMO.

For the Samoa match,BOD shouldn't play.It would be a good chance to give a younger 13 experience.

If,by the time of the AIs,there's a 13 capable of playing against Australia and New Zealand,they should start ahead of BOD.However,I very much doubt that will be the case.

awec wrote: »
    there is only one way to find out who our next 13 is.

I don't want another 10 situation where we had no idea who was behind sexton due to kidneys inability to look beyond ROG.

there are a lot of parallels that can be drawn here, and we should learn from our mistakes IMO.

Who do you suggest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

The only real options are:

1. Earls
    2. Cave
    3. Griffin
    4. McFadden
    5. Fitzgerald
    6. Olding
    7. O'Malley
    8. Macken

Not sure who else might be an option..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

No
    The way rugby is gone, we can see BOD, still there on a zimmer frame fully kited out on the side line. Move on and bring young blood to the front, this auld palsey walsey $hite should be taken out of sport.

• Advertisement

The way rugby is gone, we can see BOD, still there on a zimmer frame fully kited out on the side line. Move on and bring young blood to the front, this auld palsey walsey $hite should be taken out of sport.

BOD is still the best 13 we have, and by a reasonable margin, so that argument is bull**** basically.

Kidney persisted with ROG (and other players) far past their best when there were better players available. Its simply not a comparable situation.

Yes, for the sake of his own health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

No
    BOD is still the best 13 we have, and by a reasonable margin, so that argument is bull**** basically.

Kidney persisted with ROG (and other players) far past their best when there were better players available. Its simply not a comparable situation.

I can see that Munster/Lenster way of seeing things. Those lout's from the south do not really fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Those lout's from the south do not really fit in.

Ara g'wan away outta that you amadán

Yes, for the sake of his own health.

I think he knows his own health better than you do,George.

I can see that Munster/Lenster way of seeing things. Those lout's from the south do not really fit in.

I genuinely have no idea what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

I'd imagine BOD wont need any winding up to face the Welsh et all in the 6N. He doesn't have anything to prove to us but I bet he would love another Triple Crown/Grandslam/C'ship to sign off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

No.
    He's our best 13, by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RuPi

He should continue to be selected until there is a better alternative and at present Earls is nowhere near an International class centre, Cave could struggle to get into the Ulster team this year as Marshall and Olding IMO are better players, Cave lacks the real pace to play international rugby. Part of me reckons BOD will get us through this year and then they will use Payne next season even though he prefers 15.

• Advertisement

The fact he is the best 13 we have shouldn't matter.

Kidney got criticism in the past for not looking forward. BOD should not play unless he absolutely needs to. His time is coming to an end, it's time to figure out who will replace him.

Advertisement