Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Seems most likely, going by the friendly against Preston. One half had that pairing and the other had Skrtel and Wisdom I think.

In the 11 v 11 training match, his notes were on the LFC forum today and the centre back pairings were different, it was Agger and Skrtel on one team and Toure and Wisdom on the other. Just experimenting I suppose but most likely it will be Johnson, Agger, Toure and Enrique.

These are the line-ups he had for the training match.

v50n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Kelly should start a few games at CB too, would have last season if he wasn't injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I would like to see him tried out there this season, he seems to have hit the gym hard and has put on a massive amount of muscle in the upper body which will help him in that role, hopefully he stays clear of injuries this season and we will see him kick on a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Didn't know Sturridge was injured! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

roryc wrote: »
    It would appear you have put RVP, Bale and Walcott into your team and then tried to justify cheap defenders because you have no cash left! Your defense is incredibly weak. City kept 18 clean sheets last season, wouldn't call that low. That being said, despite having a terrible defence this is one of the better combinations I've seen with RVP and Bale. I won't be considering the Dutchman though, just can't justify £14m.

Please get rid of McShane ASAP - he shouldn't even be in teams as a joke.

Well yeah thats fair enough. But my point is that if I thought expensive defenders were important than I would have managed to get them in somehow. Maybe replace Ricky with Anelka or something similar. But I dont think they justify not having big attackers. Last year there was a period at the beginning of the season where nearly everyone had a City defender... it seemed like a must, yet they somehow managed to concede in nearly all of their opening games. And dont even get me started on how poor United's defence was in the first half of the season. Chelsea didn't exactly stand out, Spurs didn't stand out and Liverpool (I have mignolet) and Arsenal had about the only expensive defenders worth looking at. Year by year it's the same story, mid-table teams or newly promoted teams shock the league with resilient defences. Swansea, Norwich, West Ham and of course Stoke all had big purple patches last year. Their defenders can be got for 4.5-5 million.

Probably the most enticing thing about cheap defenders is their dependability. Unless you buy Hart or (more than likely) Kompany too it's a toss-up between 2 other CB's, 3 RB's and 2 LB's for starting berths. Chelsea is also pretty much rocket science when selecting a defender who will start week in week out because it probably wont happen.

Thats about all of my justification done. I think I justify having RVP and Bale anyway. But each to their own. I'll just finish by saying that, between them, RVP and Bale got 47 goals and 24 assist last season. And Bale is a midfielder. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

ca1844664c66cf5351d75e73216cc563

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

FatRat wrote: »
    Well yeah thats fair enough. But my point is that if I thought expensive defenders were important than I would have managed to get them in somehow. Maybe replace Ricky with Anelka or something similar. But I dont think they justify not having big attackers. Last year there was a period at the beginning of the season where nearly everyone had a City defender... it seemed like a must, yet they somehow managed to concede in nearly all of their opening games.

And dont even get me started on how poor United's defence was in the first half of the season. Chelsea didn't exactly stand out, Spurs didn't stand out and Liverpool (I have mignolet) and Arsenal had about the only expensive defenders worth looking at. Year by year it's the same story, mid-table teams or newly promoted teams shock the league with resilient defences. Swansea, Norwich, West Ham and of course Stoke all had big purple patches last year. Their defenders can be got for 4.5-5 million.

I'm not trying to argue, but the above is simply incorrect. Chelsea kept a clean sheet in 5 of their opening 6 games last season, and Arsenal kept clean sheets in their opening three games. Granted, United and City were bad defensively last Aug/Sep but this is not 'year by year the same story'. Last year is clouding your view. Anyway, I'm not arguing in favour of bulking up on your defence? I'm saying you are forced into making it very weak because of RVP.
    Chelsea is also pretty much rocket science when selecting a defender who will start week in week out because it probably wont happen.

John Terry.
    Thats about all of my justification done. I think I justify having RVP and Bale anyway.

Not even close unfortunately!
    But each to their own :)

Exactly - the best part about the game is the fact that there is never a right or wrong team. I try to go with what is statistically the best option. See my post in the RVP vs Bale thread if you fancy a friendly wager with RVP in your team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Jovetic confirmed as signed for city, should leave Dzeko unsure of a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Interesting to see what price he will come in at - £8m or lower would be attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

City really don't need him, well we really don't need him :pac: It makes Negredo less appealing and even Aguero as he could be pushed back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hmmm. Aguero isn't such an obvious choice now maybe. Will have to think about this one. If Rooney goes to Chelsea that would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

I think Bellamy is being slightly overrated on here. He scored 5 goals and got 8 assists in 28(+5) games last season (picked up 4 yellows also). Decent but not spectacular. At 34 he's pushing on also and probably won't be getting 90 minutes week in week out. Robert Koren got 9 goals and 5 assists in 37(+3) and is slightly cheaper. Much of a muchness really, Bellamy is a good option at 5.5m, but not a must have and I probably won't go for him myself. Whittingham another alternative at 5m with 8 goals and 7 assists last season in 37(+3) starts.

Cabaye at 6.5m is another I haven't seen mentioned who could be good value. Although he could be on his way out. If hes stays I think the new bonus points system could suit him, and if fit again this season he is bound to chip in with a good goals & assists tally.

Disappointed Giacherrini has been priced at 7m, not worth that imo.

Gaston Ramirez at 6m is worth keeping an eye on, should do better than last year (if he stays that is).

Nani at 7.5m could potentially be amazing. On his day he's United's best winger. New contract signed, and with a good spell injury free he could be good. Not one that I will go with from week 1, but I will pounce on him if he gets going.

For me Walcott, Bale and Hazard are certs for my midfield. Mirallas and Kagawa are two that are vying for inclusion with the likes of nani & cabaye. Kagawa is world class, and with a decent run of games (hopefully for his sake Rooney moves) he would be serious value at 8m.

In defense as has been said Coleman at 5m is great value. Decent value in the Sunderland defense. Micky turner, shaw/clyne, collins and Yanga Mbiwa (if he starts - Newcastle should be tighter at the back this year) all good options at 4.5m. If Toure gets game time at 5m he would be a steal and a good cheap route to the liverpool defense. Zabaleta and Terry at 6m are good value. Ramage is probably the 4m defender a lot of us will go for.

Strikers are the tough pick this year. RVP not viable if you have Bale. Aguero probably not worth 11m, City have decent striker options again now that Negredo has signed and with Jovetic set to sign.

Anelka is a cheap option, but not necessarily a great one. Bony should get goals, but I will probably wait to get him in with my wildcard after GW3 because of Swansea's tough start.

Cornelius for Cardiff could be worth a shout although I'll probably give him a while and see how he settles. The same goes for Helenius.

All the talk seems to be about Van Wolfswinkel, but Altidore could be a good alternative at the same price. 23 goals in 21 league games for AZ Alkmaar last season. Should be the main man for Sunderland too and Di Canio has assembled a good team over the summer.

I will probably go for lambert, rvw and altidore as my 3 strikers, with Bony to come in for one of them at GW3. Of course this is dependent on further summer transfers. At the moment I can't see the value in the more expensive strikers.

Would Benteke be good value if he moved to Spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Well yeah thats fair enough. But my point is that if I thought expensive defenders were important than I would have managed to get them in somehow. Maybe replace Ricky with Anelka or something similar. But I dont think they justify not having big attackers. Last year there was a period at the beginning of the season where nearly everyone had a City defender... it seemed like a must, yet they somehow managed to concede in nearly all of their opening games. And dont even get me started on how poor United's defence was in the first half of the season. Chelsea didn't exactly stand out, Spurs didn't stand out and Liverpool (I have mignolet) and Arsenal had about the only expensive defenders worth looking at. Year by year it's the same story, mid-table teams or newly promoted teams shock the league with resilient defences. Swansea, Norwich, West Ham and of course Stoke all had big purple patches last year. Their defenders can be got for 4.5-5 million.

Probably the most enticing thing about cheap defenders is their dependability. Unless you buy Hart or (more than likely) Kompany too it's a toss-up between 2 other CB's, 3 RB's and 2 LB's for starting berths. Chelsea is also pretty much rocket science when selecting a defender who will start week in week out because it probably wont happen.

Thats about all of my justification done. I think I justify having RVP and Bale anyway. But each to their own. I'll just finish by saying that, between them, RVP and Bale got 47 goals and 24 assist last season. And Bale is a midfielder. :)

I agree with a lot of what you say there. There is some great cheap defender options this year. Im also firmly in the rvp and bale camp and think its quite possible to have a strong team with them both.

At the moment I have
    Westwood Boruc
    Toure Coleman Ramage Turner Wilson
    Bale Walcott Shelvey Bellamy Digkgacoi
    RVP Rooney Bent

Defenders Id play coleman and toure most weeks and then rotate turner and Wilson depending on which players at home(they rotate perfectly)

Midfielders Bale/Walcott rotate perfectly for having a capt option at home. The other 3 are provisional Ill see how pre season goes.

Forwards Rooney and Bent will be in my team if they move to Chelsea & newcastle respectively if not Ill trade Rooney down to sturridge and upgrade Bent to Bony .

I agree with a lot of what you say there. There is some great cheap defender options this year. Im also firmly in the rvp and bale camp and think its quite possible to have a strong team with them both.

At the moment I have
    Westwood Boruc
    Toure Coleman Ramage Turner Wilson
    Bale Walcott Shelvey Bellamy Digkgacoi
    RVP Rooney Bent

Defenders Id play coleman and toure most weeks and then rotate turner and Wilson depending on which players at home(they rotate perfectly)

Midfielders Bale/Walcott rotate perfectly for having a capt option at home. The other 3 are provisional Ill see how pre season goes.

Forwards Rooney and Bent will be in my team if they move to Chelsea & newcastle respectively if not Ill trade Rooney down to sturridge and upgrade Bent to Bony .

I think Mannone will be first choice over Westwood and Pieters over Wilson for Stoke. Pretty unfortunate from an Irish point of view too. I'd have my reservations over Shelvey being a guaranteed starter, if he was he could be a rough diamond though, but Swansea could go the way of Newcastle this year with the Europa.

The forwards are tricky and we'll really just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think Mannone will be first choice over Westwood and Pieters over Wilson for Stoke. Pretty unfortunate from an Irish point of view too. I'd have my reservations over Shelvey being a guaranteed starter, if he was he could be a rough diamond though, but Swansea could go the way of Newcastle this year with the Europa.

The forwards are tricky and we'll really just have to wait and see.

There is talk of wilson being deployed in midfield supposedly thats where he wants to play. Ill go with mannone or westwood whoever looks like starting. Its very early and theres basically a full pre season to go when obviously Ill make my final decision. Chances are my team and everyones elses team will change dramatically over the next few weeks.
    I was just trying to show its quite possible to have a strong team with both rvp and bale in your team.
    TBH Im very surprised you didnt pull me up on my thoughts of rotating mickey T and wilson every 2nd week.:)

There is talk of wilson being deployed in midfield supposedly thats where he wants to play. Ill go with mannone or westwood whoever looks like starting. Its very early and theres basically a full pre season to go when obviously Ill make my final decision. Chances are my team and everyones elses team will change dramatically over the next few weeks.
    I was just trying to show its quite possible to have a strong team with both rvp and bale in your team.
    TBH Im very surprised you didnt pull me up on my thoughts of rotating mickey T and wilson every 2nd week.:)

Really? I wouldn't have thought Wilson would've been midfield material. I'll have to keep an eye on that so.

Yeah I was thinking it alright, but I thought I'd let you come to your own conclusions over Mickey T being captain every week. Although I'm pleasantly surprised with his name being in most people's drafts. I look at people with Garrido but Bassong especially and have them on a special list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Hmmm. Aguero isn't such an obvious choice now maybe. Will have to think about this one. If Rooney goes to Chelsea that would be interesting.

I'm having real trouble picking my front men.

I think RVP is too expensive. He is the main man ar Utd but they have a tough start and 14m is a lot especially as Bale is probably essential.

I was going for Aguero but with City signing every striker that comes on the market that doesn't boost confidence in him. Heavy rotation at best seems likely.

Suarez is suspended for a few weeks and he may not even be in England come August.

Rooney is injured and is clearly unsettled at Man U. If he is still there he will be a sulking sub. I'm having flashbacks to the time I had Tevez and he basically went on strike. There is also a risk he will be gone overseas (can't see Man U willingly selling him to one of their English Rivals)

Benteke wants out of Villa but if no one comes in for him will he be hitting goals each week if he is unhappy at villa. He has a whiff of a one season wonder like Andy Carroll about him.

Torres. If Rafa couldn't turn him back into a decent player I doubt Jose will. It wouldn't surprise me if he follows Rafa out of Chelsea.

Sturridge. I'm not convinced he is good enough to be a main striker scoring week in week out.

And now we are down to the 8m or less strikers and there we are spoilt for choice but picking the gems from the duds is a bit of a lottery.

So my choice seems to be go back to RVP and a cheap 3rd striker (e.g. Anelka) or go for three ~8m strikers.

Any advice? Is Anelka even going to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Invincible wrote: »
    Jovetic confirmed as signed for city, should leave Dzeko unsure of a start.

Any chance Jovetic would be included as a MID?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Aguero will be in my team week 1 if City don't buy. It's more than likely they will buy, but 11 million for a rotation-free Aguero would be fantastic value.

There's that strategy out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

touts wrote: »

Benteke wants out of Villa but if no one comes in for him will he be hitting goals each week if he is unhappy at villa. He has a whiff of a one season wonder like Andy Carroll about him.

I agree with you about all the others, but as a Villa fan, Benteke will certainly be trying to play, even if he stays at villa. He wants to go to the world cup with Belguim, and is in direct competition with Lukaku. Also, he obviously wants to move, so if he doesn't go this summer, he will need to keep playing well to keep the big clubs interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

8-10 wrote: »
    Any chance Jovetic would be included as a MID?

almost no chance.

you'd have as much of an argument for Rooney being a midfielder, perhaps even more.

If Higuain gets his more to Arsenal it could solve all our striking woes, a lot of people would move for him though I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SlickRic wrote: »
    almost no chance.

you'd have as much of an argument for Rooney being a midfielder, perhaps even more.

Yeah but when you look at the likes of Walcott, Michu and Bale we've seen all of them play as far forward as Jovetic does. They are all listed as MIDs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

I agree with you about all the others, but as a Villa fan, Benteke will certainly be trying to play, even if he stays at villa. He wants to go to the world cup with Belguim, and is in direct competition with Lukaku. Also, he obviously wants to move, so if he doesn't go this summer, he will need to keep playing well to keep the big clubs interested.

Benteke has less appeal now, as he's signed a contract extension until 2017.

Benteke definitely not worth the 9m now alright. Aguero has lost any appeal with the signature of negredo & jovetic. I think I'll be starting with 3 mid priced strikers now, unless arsenal sign higuain or spurs sign soldado and he's a decent price. Even if rooney moved to chelsea I still won't be picking him. Chelsea have too many other attacking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

qwabercd wrote: »
    Benteke definitely not worth the 9m now alright. Aguero has lost any appeal with the signature of negredo & jovetic. I think I'll be starting with 3 mid priced strikers now, unless arsenal sign higuain or spurs sign soldado and he's a decent price. Even if rooney moved to chelsea I still won't be picking him. Chelsea have too many other attacking options.

rooney will play every game he's available for if chelsea sign him i'd imagine. could see torres been shown the door if the rooney move goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

If Rooney moves to Chelsea he will be first choice striker with arguably the best squad for next season behind him, i'll snap buy him at 10.5, he becomes the most affordable, relatively risk free premium striker.
    Other than RVP, no other premium striker is a standout pick as things stand.
    You can argue that Sturridge without Suarez, and with kind fixtures, is the next best choice for the short-term, but his fitness is in question at the moment.
    Starting with or bringing in the form midprice strikers will be key early on i guess if you are starting without RVP.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    rooney will play every game he's available for if chelsea sign him i'd imagine. could see torres been shown the door if the rooney move goes ahead.

Ba and lukaku will both get game time too. Rooney will be the main man, but he wouldn't get 90 minutes week in week out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Sunderland's goalkeeper situation.

Not even us fans have a clue who will start the season, but if I had to bet money on it I'd say Westwood will start the first few games at least.

The club have been fairly adamant since Mignolet signed for Liverpool that they want to give him a chance given that he has been patient ever since he was brought to the club when at that time nearly everyone felt that he would be first choice ahead of Mignolet.

Essentially I think it will be his to lose, but it might not take much for it to happen considering we spent a couple of million on Mannone. If Westwood had full faith I think we'd have brought in a kid and let him mature a bit with no pressure (like what we did with Mignolet initially).

Either way it shouldn't make too much of a difference, both are £4.5m and we should know who starts in week 1 at least before the week 1 deadline, but I would urge caution for those picking Sunderland goalkeepers/defenders. We are usually one of the better bottom half teams for picking up clean sheets, but 6 of our first 8 home games are against the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. I wouldn't bet on a clean sheet in any of those games. Our first three games are winnable, but after that there's long periods where we could fail to do much up until around the middle of December.

On a different note:

I have been spending a bit of time looking at the mid-priced striking options. One thing to consider is that both Bony and Van Wolfswinkel rotate about as well as one could hope for for teams who are a fair distance apart and not bound by the same police force looking after home games (32 out of the 38 games). Swansea have an extremely tough first few weeks, but as we've seen time and time again in this league a top striker will score goals even against tougher teams, perhaps even more so when they are new to the league and defenders don't have as much experience of them. It's possible to get a heavy hitter up front (such as Rooney, if he goes to Chelsea or Aguero) in alongside both of those without too much difficulty and still making a very balanced team, so if they can adapt to the Premier League then both of those will make an excellent 2 of 3 up top and for a reasonable price (although I feel Bony should have been about £0.5m cheaper than he is).

For those that want proven Premier League goals, Berbatov and any Chelsea striker will rotate every gameweek during the whole season so again if Rooney goes there it's something to consider. He also rotates with Bony 32 out of 38 games and Van Wolfswinkel 36 out of 38 so if you wanted to combine Berbatov and Bony/Wolf you could be sure of at least one of those two having a home game almost every week. Just typing that now makes me realise how Berbatov seems an excellent option despite the bad start. You're almost guaranteed 15 goals with him for a very fair price, and from gameweek 6 on his fixtures get quite kind with the odd couple of tough games in a row thrown in. Kone also rotates extremely well with the two new boys.

Rooney/Aguero + two of Berbatov/Bony/Van Wolfsinkel//Kone etc seems very manageable which is good news for those that want to try and get a few heavy hitters in all positions.

Just a quick note in midfield and one differential that I haven't spotted in many teams so far would be David Silva. £0.5m cheaper than his counterparts such as Hazard and Walcott, £1.0m cheaper than Cazorla and £1.5m cheaper than Mata, with better starting fixtures (presuming Chelsea don't have a week 1 DGW) he is worth seriously considering. It's hardly an earth shattering revelation I know, but if Chelsea don't get that DGW I think I'll throw him in ahead of Hazard who I currently have in there. He'll more than likely play just off the front every week too as City haven't gone for another player in that position after missing out on Isco with Yaya sitting further back alongside Fernandinho, so has a great opportunity to get back to his 2011-2012 best.

Finally, I know a lot of people like to use their wildcards within the first month or month and a half (myself included) so if you're planning your team with that in mind it might be worth taking a look at this fixture difficulty table combined by the excellent Fantasy Football Mad website:

5faf357b536c517eb1bc72146f4647c4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Excellent stuff Paully. I'm one of those who use the WC early (deliberately) so am more interested in picking a team for the first 3 weeks or so.

That chart is a great help.

Advertisement