Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Im the same have him in my team at the moment hes supposedly going to newcastle.

That's what I mean by the right team! He could do serious damage in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

roryc wrote: »
    Long and Cornelius aren't strong at all, same with Collins and Connolly. Garrido needs to be replaced with Micky Turner, fast, or face the wrath of the forum. Coutinho and Michu are overpriced this season, as is Ruddy at £5m, and you are doubling up on Norwich back-line.

You have three Norwich, three Cardiff, and no Chelsea players for the likely DGW! Overall a fairly weak side, did you have cash left over?

didnt know about any dgw. For the price i think Long and Corny might be good shouts, but its a first draft... i dont know how you can say the mighty Michu is overpriced, we all thought he was going to be down as a fw!! and Coutinho was a revelation with a great ppg! cheap defenders are the way to go, most weeks only one of the cheapies will play, rotate as suits

*squad is exactly £100m

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

I think it is very hard to pick strikers at the moment. RVP is just too over-priced the more I think of it.

As said above if Darren Bent moves, 6.5 is a bargain. Sticking on the Villa theme, if Benteke ends up at SPurs 9.0m is a very good price, but a bit much for Villa.

Looking at Aguero as my most exp striker right now, but will have to look at Negredo if he comes in. I assume Chelsea will sign another big name striker and he will have to be considered. If Rooney ends up at Chelsea, it's hard to know where they would fit him in, but I suspect it would be in a more withdrawn role.

Anelka being a million cheaper than Long has me going for him.

Sturridge is going in my team too. With or without Suarez, he will get a chance to be the main man at Liverpool and I think he is a great goalscorer.

Too much unknown quantity with Bony, RVW, Cornelius and Helenius. Plus regarding the first 2, they will be battling in the wrong half of the table for the price they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Negredo move confirmed subject to a medical, definitely lessens the appeal of Dzeko.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's what I mean by the right team! He could do serious damage in that team.

with it being a world cup year and England lack of strikers he will have a lot to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

with it being a world cup year and England lack of strikers he will have a lot to play for.

Especially if Cisse's refusing to play over the Wonga fiasco there may be nobody to stand in his way

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do you not feel you're putting too much emphesis on the cheap defender? For example, an extra .5mill will get you Luiz who showed he certainly has an eye for goal when going forward, even playing in midfield a handful of times. With him listed as a defender, and with what I expect will be an even more-attacking Chelsea once again under José he could be worth a shout.

In goal I'm going with Mignolet (5.5) - Johnson & Agger had the most cleansheets last season, and I reckon 'pool will be tighter this year after having the experience behind them from last year under Rodgers. Boruc is my back-up at 4.5mill. 1st team 'keeper as backup is always good. Had the mistake of having a nobody last season, and then the chap got loaned off. Luckily my 'keeper remained fit.

My back 4(+1) is Coleman (5.0mill - absolute steal), Kaboul (5.0mill - thanks to your above post for pointing him out), the mighty Micky Turner (4.5mill) and Luiz (6.5mill but an adventurous defender which I now lack due to dropping Baines for his 7.5mill price tag and chance-of-joining United) and then my "back-up" of Shaw (4.5mill and the first choice for the Saints. He's rated highly, but with Southampton being a "new" team to the league so to speak since promotion, they're not too tight at the back. All this could change, and having him on the bench is certainly an option for game time and possible BP)

My midfield consisted of Bale (12mill and m Captain-of-choice for most weeks), Bellamy (5.5mill - Has the experience of playing in the prem and is a key man at Cardiff. I plan to rotate him with Brady (5mill) when needed, or drop him altogether if required.) Michu (9mill. He should be playing behind Bony at Swansea now which is where he's most dangerous), Kagawa (8mill - If Rooney goes, Kagawa should be playing CAM which is where he dominated at Dortmund. Glimpses last season were shown when he came in off the wing and just danced around defenders.)

Upfront I've gone with Aguero (11mill), who, hopefully should be the regular starting striker at City. As much as I dislike the team, I think Aguero is pure silk when he plays. Partnering him in my 4-4-2 is Bony (8mill - Untested in the BLP but with 30? goals last season, I think we can expect him to perform this year. He's got tough opening few games, but I expect him to score against United on GW1.) finally I have Cornelius (5.5mill) as my third striker, big lad brought in by Cardiff especially for the EPL campaign. Don't know much about him, but reckon he's a good shout for 3rd. Toss up between himself and Anelka methinks.

Some good reasoning there. Where'd you finish last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Noone of Cardiff looks good at 5m ( 7 goals 9 Assists last season ),Whittingham 5m also Cardiff ( 8 goals 7 Assists ) & Murray of Crystal Palace at 5.5 ( 30 goals 6 assists )

Anybody know why the site isn't working on iPhone? I don't want to dust off the laptop!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

slingerz wrote: »
    Any interest in Schurrle for Chelsea? Should play as an advanced forward for them and is cheaper than mata/hazard

Taking a chance/risk on him in one of my teams , he was quoted as being a Forward but it listed a Midfielder on FPL . On the other hand if he dont play i can swap for Lampard for the same price .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I wouldn't risk players you aren't sure will start in GW1. Could end up with a few big names on your bench and then the £4m defenders end up playing. I want Kagawa but need to find out from the Soccer Forum and FFS if he's likely to start.

What is everyone thinking of in terms of formation? 3-4-3 or 3-5-2?

Seems to by good value in some of the strikers, although some of them are untested in the EPL. Think I'm leaning towards 3-4-3 myself, but I'm sure that will swing back and forth.

Just noticed Dempsey is 7.5m. Worth keeping an eye on??

What is everyone thinking of in terms of formation? 3-4-3 or 3-5-2?

Seems to by good value in some of the strikers, although some of them are untested in the EPL. Think I'm leaning towards 3-4-3 myself, but I'm sure that will swing back and forth.

I rotate between the two. Generally I try to have 2 big hitting mids (Bale and Walcott for example) two mid priced (Kagawa or Nani for example) and one cheapie (Brady).

Then two expensive strikers and one cheapie. Then you can rotate the cheapie mid and striker depending on fixtures.

I've yet to see the prices of players but I expect my team will include De Gea, Coleman, Bale, Walcott, Brady, Aguero and Wolfie.

Just noticed Dempsey is 7.5m. Worth keeping an eye on??

Only if Spurs have a lot of injuries. I always like to avoid chances at the start of the season and stick to players 100% to start.

Dempsey wasn't sure of a place for Spurs at times last year and they've signed a new Brazilian mid, Paulinho I think it is.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Only if Spurs have a lot of injuries. I always like to avoid chances at the start of the season and stick to players 100% to start.

Dempsey wasn't sure of a place for Spurs at times last year and they've signed a new Brazilian mid, Paulinho I think it is.

Ah, right. I just thought he was a guaranteed starter.

I'm the same, I won't get them if they aren't a guaranteed starter. I can scratch him off the list.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I've yet to see the prices of players but I expect my team will include De Gea, Coleman, Bale, Walcott, Brady, Aguero and Wolfie.

All of those are on my watchlist. Not sure about DDG. I'm going to monitor the Liverpool goalkeeper situation. If Reina leaves, I'll probably go with Mignolet. United haven't a great set of opening fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

DDG or Mignolet lads? Leaning towards DDG myself as he only seems to be getting better as he plays. Got the experience of the U21 under him this summer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Giaccherini is someone I might get, depends on his price though

MagicIRL wrote: »
    DDG or Mignolet lads? Leaning towards DDG myself as he only seems to be getting better as he plays. Got the experience of the U21 under him this summer, too.

I'm leaning towards Mig.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking Hart. City have a cracking defensive record and a good opening run of fixtures, I think he's worth the extra £0.5m over DDG. I'm even debating doubling up and getting Zab too. If you replace Aguero with Berbatov (who outscored him last season - albeit over more games) you can use the extra cash to bulk up your defenders.

If Kagawa is unlikely to play I could upgrade to Walcott and downgrade one of the big defenders. Still plenty that can happen but from tinkering around with different combinations its becoming clear to me that if you have Aguero it will detract from the rest of your team a fair bit. This is assuming everyone has Bale ofc. I'm not even considering RVP...

smt21e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

My thoughts:

Must-have players for the whole season - Bale, Van Persie and Walcott

Defences - Ridiculously low amount of clean sheets last season, especially at the beginning (remember?) Therefore I wont bother with a strong defence for clean sheets but Coleman is nearly a must-have, especially since he might be playing in a wing-back role since Martinez is a sucker for his 3 at the back. 4.5 million defenders all-around for me.

Midfield - Most mid-price mids are useless this year compared to last year when there was 6mil mids galore. Now I reckon it's either pricey or cheap or dont bother. There is very few under 8mil that I think are worth looking at. Mirallas being one of them. He settled well eventually last season and is a serious goal-threat. Probably Evertons biggest goal-threat. Other ones to look out for might be Kagawa, Nolan, snodgrass and Ben Arfa. All had quiet seasons last season apart from Nolan but they have the ability.

Strikers - Bony. Full Stop. Swansea will become a big force this season, probably finish in the top 8 imo. Their ability to create chances is exactly what Bony will capitalize on. He capitalized on scraps with Vitesse and he definitely has the strength that is needed in such a physical league like the PL. Same goes for Van Wolfswinkel but I think Norwich in general are ones to watch this season thats why he's a good pick. With the transfers Norwich are making this summer and defensive record for a period last season I think they are another team that will rise this season and Ricky is their outlet for goals.

2ur5s8k.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

im thinking Negredo,from previous stats he can score goals and lots of them.Hopefully he comes in at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No Manchester United cover in my team at the minute, which is worrying. **** it, I think I'll just leave it for another few weeks and come back to it in early August when things should be a bit clearer.

FatRat wrote: »
    My thoughts:

It would appear you have put RVP, Bale and Walcott into your team and then tried to justify cheap defenders because you have no cash left! Your defense is incredibly weak. City kept 18 clean sheets last season, wouldn't call that low. That being said, despite having a terrible defence this is one of the better combinations I've seen with RVP and Bale. I won't be considering the Dutchman though, just can't justify £14m.

Please get rid of McShane ASAP - he shouldn't even be in teams as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I won't be considering the Dutchman though, just can't justify £14m.

Highest scoring player in the league

robin-van-persie-manchester-united-west-ham-fa-cup-620x350.jpg

Also probably going to be supplied by a top class midfielder next season if United get the finger out. He's first in my team anyway.

I like how it's more difficult this season with the RVP/Bale debate.

Can't say I'm looking forward to watching the United games, praying RVP doesn't score...

I'm thinking Hart. City have a cracking defensive record and a good opening run of fixtures, I think he's worth the extra £0.5m over DDG. I'm even debating doubling up and getting Zab too. If you replace Aguero with Berbatov (who outscored him last season - albeit over more games) you can use the extra cash to bulk up your defenders.

If Kagawa is unlikely to play I could upgrade to Walcott and downgrade one of the big defenders. Still plenty that can happen but from tinkering around with different combinations its becoming clear to me that if you have Aguero it will detract from the rest of your team a fair bit. This is assuming everyone has Bale ofc. I'm not even considering RVP...

smt21e.jpg

Aguero spent a good part of last season on the treatment table so comparing him to a player who missed very few games isn't exactly a fair comparison.

If Aguero stays fit, and that is an if, I'd expect him to strongly out score Berba.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

2 assists and a goal for mirallas last night, granted it it was in a 4-1 victory over accrington but with his switch to midfield in FPL i'll definetly be keeping a close eye on him pre-season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hogey007 wrote: »
    2 assists and a goal for mirallas last night, granted it it was in a 4-1 victory over accrington but with his switch to midfield in FPL i'll definetly be keeping a close eye on him pre-season.

do u know what formation everton played and what position mirallas started in

Advertisement