Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

dakid wrote: »

Cheers, I'm think both himself and The Wolf may be too much so have Brady there for now instead. But everything will be changed again tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

i picked a very rough team to see who i could get into it but will leave it now for a week or two, so much is going to happen!!

The Rooney saga is going to blow everything open, it looks likely he'll leave united now after his latest outburst, if he went to chelsea where he'd have little competition for places he'd be very tempting at 10.5! (just make sure you don't buy any other decent strikers or rooney will throw the toys out of the pram and want to leave)

Likewise, Rooney leaving could make kagawa at 8.0 or harnandez at 7.5 a very decent option, it'll remain to be seen how united go about lining up.

of course, if rooney does leave, i'd imagine united will try sell him to a foreign club and also they'd more than likely buy either an attacking midfielder (fabregas) or another striker but it's going to be an interesting few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Paully D wrote: »
    What do you lads think of Sturridge this year? He's not cheap at £9.0m, but Liverpool have a terrific start and it looks like he'll be the main man in attack. Aguero and Sturridge along with Bale plus another heavy hitter or two in midfield is quite attainable, in comparison to Van Persie's price.

Thoughts?

Thinking same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Looks like its touch & go whether Sturridge will be fit for Gw1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any of this new Sunderland team Di Canio is building worth a punt?

I'm working with Bony (8m), Berba (7.5) and Rodriguez (6m) - I reckon Swansea will score against United, and with Bony's record (30 goals last season was it?) he is definitely worth the risk. Plus with Bony playing up front, Michu will play in behind him where he does his most damage so that duo could be worth throwing into your teams.

Berbatov is just a legend. Banging in goals all last season and he'll continue to do so. My only concern is the rest of the Fulham team. He's prone to a dry sell if the team plays poorly - any suggestions for a replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I think a lot of the value is in defenders this year.

Mertesacker seems to be the pick of Arsenal's defenders with 3 goals last season, but with all of these at £5.5m it's anyone's shout - Koscielny (2 goals 1 assist), Gibbs (5 assists) and Monreal (1 goal 1 assist in 800mins). And lets not forget Club Captain Vermaelen who is a bargain at £5.5m - he's likely to miss the first few games, but scoring 6 or 7 goals in previous seasons I'll definitely have my eye on him. He's usually priced over £7m.

Similar scenario at Chelsea, who will likely have a DGW to kick off. If last season's opening weekend is anything to go by 3 Chelsea players is a must. Ivanovic, Luiz and Cole are priced correctly at £6.5m, but in the £6m range you have Azpiliceuta and Terry. As much as it pains me to say it, the latter seems to be the better choice and possibly bargain of the season. Another one capable of 6+ goals a season, he managed 4 last season despite only playing less than 1/3 of games. I would assume Terry will be the first name on Mourinho's teamsheet, something which is reinforced by pre-season talk. This is the cheapest Terry has been in years, usually starting as the highest priced defender at £7.5m.

Next up Spurs - I expect them to be a lot tighter at the back this season, but both Vertonghen and Walker are overpriced imo. Dawson and Kaboul are my picks, and second only to Coleman as the £5m defender of choice. And lets not forget Assou-Ekotto who was a bit quiet last season after banging in 2 goals and 5 assists in the previous one.

I'll likely be avoiding United, City and Liverpool defenders for my GW1 team, although there's a good chance I'll start off with either Hart or De Gea. Micky Turner is a must this season, along with Coleman. The below defense costs £26m, definitely on the high side, but if the BP system proves to favour defenders more this season I'll probably be looking at this. Barring injury, I can't see much that will change this - Baines moving to United will see him score less imo, and it's hard to justify the £7.5m price tag. Terry has outscored him in 5 of the last 7 seasons (and barely played last season), and is £1.5m less.

2ls7hp1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

roryc wrote: »
    I think a lot of the value is in defenders this year.

Mertesacker seems to be the pick of Arsenal's defenders with 3 goals last season, but with all of these at £5.5m it's anyone's shout - Koscielny (2 goals 1 assist), Gibbs (5 assists) and Monreal (1 goal 1 assist in 800mins). And lets not forget Club Captain Vermaelen who is a bargain at £5.5m - he's likely to miss the first few games, but scoring 6 or 7 goals in previous seasons I'll definitely have my eye on him. He's usually priced over £7m.

Similar scenario at Chelsea, who will likely have a DGW to kick off. If last season's opening weekend is anything to go by 3 Chelsea players is a must. Ivanovic, Luiz and Cole are priced correctly at £6.5m, but in the £6m range you have Azpiliceuta and Terry. As much as it pains me to say it, the latter seems to be the better choice and possibly bargain of the season. Another one capable of 6+ goals a season, he managed 4 last season despite only playing less than 1/3 of games. I would assume Terry will be the first name on Mourinho's teamsheet, something which is reinforced by pre-season talk. This is the cheapest Terry has been in years, usually starting as the highest priced defender at £7.5m.

Next up Spurs - I expect them to be a lot tighter at the back this season, but both Vertonghen and Walker are overpriced imo. Dawson and Kaboul are my picks, and second only to Coleman as the £5m defender of choice. And lets not forget Assou-Ekotto who was a bit quiet last season after banging in 2 goals and 5 assists in the previous one.

I'll likely be avoiding United, City and Liverpool defenders for my GW1 team, although there's a good chance I'll start off with either Hart or De Gea. Micky Turner is a must this season, along with Coleman. The below defense costs £26m, definitely on the high side, but if the BP system proves to favour defenders more this season I'll probably be looking at this. Barring injury, I can't see much that will change this - Baines moving to United will see him score less imo, and it's hard to justify the £7.5m price tag. Terry has outscored him in 5 of the last 7 seasons (and barely played last season), and is £1.5m less.

2ls7hp1.png

Good write up, presume that means you'll tend to play 4 at the back each week then?

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Good write up, presume that means you'll tend to play 4 at the back each week then?

Not necessarily - with that line up I have Coleman and Micky T benched for week 1. A lot of people go with two £4.0m bench fodder defenders but you would be amazed at how often you need to use them. I'll likely rotate between playing 4-4-2 and 3-4-3. Last seasons favoured 3-5-2 is looking unlikely.

A lot depends on clearing up this new BP distribution method.

Do you not feel you're putting too much emphesis on the cheap defender? For example, an extra .5mill will get you Luiz who showed he certainly has an eye for goal when going forward, even playing in midfield a handful of times. With him listed as a defender, and with what I expect will be an even more-attacking Chelsea once again under José he could be worth a shout.

In goal I'm going with Mignolet (5.5) - Johnson & Agger had the most cleansheets last season, and I reckon 'pool will be tighter this year after having the experience behind them from last year under Rodgers. Boruc is my back-up at 4.5mill. 1st team 'keeper as backup is always good. Had the mistake of having a nobody last season, and then the chap got loaned off. Luckily my 'keeper remained fit.

My back 4(+1) is Coleman (5.0mill - absolute steal), Kaboul (5.0mill - thanks to your above post for pointing him out), the mighty Micky Turner (4.5mill) and Luiz (6.5mill but an adventurous defender which I now lack due to dropping Baines for his 7.5mill price tag and chance-of-joining United) and then my "back-up" of Shaw (4.5mill and the first choice for the Saints. He's rated highly, but with Southampton being a "new" team to the league so to speak since promotion, they're not too tight at the back. All this could change, and having him on the bench is certainly an option for game time and possible BP)

My midfield consisted of Bale (12mill and m Captain-of-choice for most weeks), Bellamy (5.5mill - Has the experience of playing in the prem and is a key man at Cardiff. I plan to rotate him with Brady (5mill) when needed, or drop him altogether if required.) Michu (9mill. He should be playing behind Bony at Swansea now which is where he's most dangerous), Kagawa (8mill - If Rooney goes, Kagawa should be playing CAM which is where he dominated at Dortmund. Glimpses last season were shown when he came in off the wing and just danced around defenders.)

Upfront I've gone with Aguero (11mill), who, hopefully should be the regular starting striker at City. As much as I dislike the team, I think Aguero is pure silk when he plays. Partnering him in my 4-4-2 is Bony (8mill - Untested in the BLP but with 30? goals last season, I think we can expect him to perform this year. He's got tough opening few games, but I expect him to score against United on GW1.) finally I have Cornelius (5.5mill) as my third striker, big lad brought in by Cardiff especially for the EPL campaign. Don't know much about him, but reckon he's a good shout for 3rd. Toss up between himself and Anelka methinks.

We don't have the luxury of splashing out this season, it's a lot tighter so the extra £0.5m here and there matters. Terry is guaranteed to start, and is a proven goalscorer. Is Luiz a nailed on starter under Mourinho? Even if he is, he might not justify the extra cash unless he looks likely to play in midfield, and with the choice Chelsea now have in MF I don't think this is likely. There's nothing to say Luiz will outscore Terry, if they were the same price I might still pick Terry, despite him being a c*nt.

I have Kagawa in my team but will need solid info on whether he starts before keeping him there. GW1 is not the time to realise you have a couple of non-starters in the team. And as much as it pains me to say it, Michu is not worth £9m. He will be playing deeper this season and you can get Silva for the same price, or Walcott/Hazard for £0.5 more.

You are taking a big risk by not having Mata/Hazard/Silva/Walcott in the middle. I have Aguero, but you can do a lot by not having a £10m+ striker. There's a lot of value in the £7m-£9m range.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Do you not feel you're putting too much emphesis on the cheap defender? For example, an extra .5mill will get you Luiz who showed he certainly has an eye for goal when going forward, even playing in midfield a handful of times. With him listed as a defender, and with what I expect will be an even more-attacking Chelsea once again under José he could be worth a shout.

In goal I'm going with Mignolet (5.5) - Johnson & Agger had the most cleansheets last season, and I reckon 'pool will be tighter this year after having the experience behind them from last year under Rodgers. Boruc is my back-up at 4.5mill. 1st team 'keeper as backup is always good. Had the mistake of having a nobody last season, and then the chap got loaned off. Luckily my 'keeper remained fit.

My back 4(+1) is Coleman (5.0mill - absolute steal), Kaboul (5.0mill - thanks to your above post for pointing him out), the mighty Micky Turner (4.5mill) and Luiz (6.5mill but an adventurous defender which I now lack due to dropping Baines for his 7.5mill price tag and chance-of-joining United) and then my "back-up" of Shaw (4.5mill and the first choice for the Saints. He's rated highly, but with Southampton being a "new" team to the league so to speak since promotion, they're not too tight at the back. All this could change, and having him on the bench is certainly an option for game time and possible BP)

My midfield consisted of Bale (12mill and m Captain-of-choice for most weeks), Bellamy (5.5mill - Has the experience of playing in the prem and is a key man at Cardiff. I plan to rotate him with Brady (5mill) when needed, or drop him altogether if required.) Michu (9mill. He should be playing behind Bony at Swansea now which is where he's most dangerous), Kagawa (8mill - If Rooney goes, Kagawa should be playing CAM which is where he dominated at Dortmund. Glimpses last season were shown when he came in off the wing and just danced around defenders.)

Upfront I've gone with Aguero (11mill), who, hopefully should be the regular starting striker at City. As much as I dislike the team, I think Aguero is pure silk when he plays. Partnering him in my 4-4-2 is Bony (8mill - Untested in the BLP but with 30? goals last season, I think we can expect him to perform this year. He's got tough opening few games, but I expect him to score against United on GW1.) finally I have Cornelius (5.5mill) as my third striker, big lad brought in by Cardiff especially for the EPL campaign. Don't know much about him, but reckon he's a good shout for 3rd. Toss up between himself and Anelka methinks.

As a Spurs fan I wouldn't be sure that Kaboul will start. Vert will play CB and then its a choice between Dawson and Kaboul to partner him I would imagine. Kaboul is just coming back from injury so could be eased back in. Daws and Vert formed a good partnership last year but ideally I would like to see Kaboul and Vert as our first choice pairing, but might not be from the offset.

Then I wouldn't be sure if it will be BAE or Rose at LB either. BAE didn't feature in the friendly vs Swindon last night at all.

roryc wrote: »
    You are taking a big risk by not having Mata/Hazard/Silva/Walcott in the middle. I have Aguero, but you can do a lot by not having a £10m+ striker. There's a lot of value in the £7m-£9m range.

I was going to go with Bony & van Wolfswinkle, but both are unproven in the PL. Lambert is 7.5mill and did the job for Southampton last season, as did Berbatov for Fulham but I felt that I needed a reliable goalscorer in the team.

Edit: Swapped Aguero for Sturridge, which freed up 2mill. Dropping Luiz for Mertesacker gave me 1mill and then I swapped Kagawa (Who may/my not play depending on Rooney's situation) for Mata and dropped Michu for Walcott. This means I'm now running Bale/Mata/Walcott in the center, with Sturridge up front with Bony. I've left the back four for now while I search for a replacement for either Shaw or Kaboul. Also went with DDG in goal, as opposed to Mingolet.

Why not play Hazard ahead of Mata and use the extra £1m?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

Chelsea make a bid for Rooney offering Ruiz or Mata - that's got to dent their confidence...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23342660

Think I'll have Hazard for Chelsea cover now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any interest in Schurrle for Chelsea? Should play as an advanced forward for them and is cheaper than mata/hazard

smokingman wrote: »
    Chelsea make a bid for Rooney offering Ruiz or Mata - that's got to dent their confidence...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23342660

Think I'll have Hazard for Chelsea cover now.

Apparently Chelsea have confirmed they made an offer, but a cash only offer, no players included on loan or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

One move that could impact on both Rooney and Mata with knock on impact on the attractiveness positively or negatively of the likes of Lukaku, Ba, Torres, Hazard, Nani, Young, Hernandez, etc. Plus how would having another regular goal scorer impact on RVP's tally? You could go batty just thinking about that one move.

I LOVE this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'll be all over Rooney at £10.5m if he goes to Chelsea!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone considering Shane Long? He seems to be getting overlooked a lot in teams that I have seen so far. Only £6.5m, so perfect as a third striker alongside two big hitters. Gets around 8 goals a season and was good for 6 assists last year too. He also takes penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

no PD, im going to stick with Helenius as my cheap 3rd striker for now, although Villa have a hard start to the campaign if they can get quality ball into this guy he will do damage.

• Advertisement

no PD, im going to stick with Helenius as my cheap 3rd striker for now, although Villa have a hard start to the campaign if they can get quality ball into this guy he will do damage.

I'm considering Vaz Tez, it looks like Carroll wont be fit for the start of the season, and like others I think I'll use my wild card after GW3. The hammers have 2 home fixtures in the first 3 and had decent home form last year. Not too bad fixtures either. Obviously will have to see closer to the time what the story is with Carroll and his injury.

Anyone considering Shane Long? He seems to be getting overlooked a lot in teams that I have seen so far. Only £6.5m, so perfect as a third striker alongside two big hitters. Gets around 8 goals a season and was good for 6 assists last year too. He also takes penalties.

I think the value is in the £7-£9m strikers.

For an extra £0.5m you can get Kone or RVW who should both easily outscore Long. Even Aspas is a better shout. For an extra £1m you can pick up 15 goal a season players like Berbs and Lambert.

I'm not sure I would consider Long if he was a million cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

jesus didn't know it was back this early

scrapped a quick squad together there

Ruddy Marshall(CAR)

Koscielny Enrique Garrido Collins Connolly(CAR)

Bale Coutinho Kagawa Michu Snodgrass

Sturridge Long Cornelius(CAR)

No way am i payin 14 for VP, Bale worth the 12 tho i think. Hard to pick strikers tho with that midfield, Sturridge the only biggie, but Long good i think with Lukaku gone, Cornelius supposed to be good too and cheap, Wolfswinkel too but a bit shortin cash to have him in that squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Baines or Coleman ??

I think with the start West Ham have, Nolan in for me for the 1st few weeks.

What's all this talk of Bony?? Any use ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

bang on, he shouldn't be rotated this year either with Lukaku gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

1ST DRAFT

Jääskeläinen
    Baines - Jones - Cahill - Turner (Sub -Turner)
    Nolan - Kagawa - Mirallas - Lennon (Sub - A.J (Sunderland))
    Bony - Kone - (Sub-van Wolfswinkel)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    1ST DRAFT

Jääskeläinen
    Baines - Jones - Cahill - Turner (Sub -Turner)
    Nolan - Kagawa - Mirallas - Lennon (Sub - A.J (Sunderland))
    Bony - Kone - (Sub-van Wolfswinkel)

There's only one real weapon there for captaincy in Turner :pac: You'll also have a lot of money wasted on the bench too. I'd get ride of Lennon and AJ and have a Brady and a Walcott or something like that. Cahill is no guarantee too start either.

manual_man wrote: »
    jesus didn't know it was back this early

scrapped a quick squad together there

Ruddy Marshall(CAR)

Koscielny Enrique Garrido Collins Connolly(CAR)

Bale Coutinho Kagawa Michu Snodgrass

Sturridge Long Cornelius(CAR)

No way am i payin 14 for VP, Bale worth the 12 tho i think. Hard to pick strikers tho with that midfield, Sturridge the only biggie, but Long good i think with Lukaku gone, Cornelius supposed to be good too and cheap, Wolfswinkel too but a bit short in cash to have him in that squad

Long and Cornelius aren't strong at all, same with Collins and Connolly. Garrido needs to be replaced with Micky Turner, fast, or face the wrath of the forum. Coutinho and Michu are overpriced this season, as is Ruddy at £5m, and you are doubling up on Norwich back-line.

You have three Norwich, three Cardiff, and no Chelsea players for the likely DGW! Overall a fairly weak side, did you have cash left over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Haven't sat down to try and put a team together yet, but I'll be keeping and eye on Darren Bent. I'm pretty sure he will leave Villa this summer, and if he goes to the right team, he could be good value at 6.5m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Haven't sat down to try and put a team together yet, but I'll be keeping and eye on Darren Bent. I'm pretty sure he will leave Villa this summer, and if he goes to the right team, he could be good value at 6.5m.

Im the same have him in my team at the moment hes supposedly going to newcastle.

Advertisement