Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody know who is likely to start for Stoke. Hughes team's are usually solid i am looking at Shawcross. Also about Norwich. Garrido is 4.5 and scored 103 points last season.

For my defense i am leaving big teams off some nice gems can be found for cheap in solid sides. West Ham, Stoke, Norwich and West Brom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody know who is likely to start for Stoke. Hughes team's are usually solid i am looking at Shawcross. Also about Norwich. Garrido is 4.5 and scored 103 points last season.

For my defense i am leaving big teams off some nice gems can be found for cheap in solid sides. West Ham, Stoke, Norwich and West Brom.

As regards to Garrido they have signed Martin Olsson so LB seems a bit up in the air right now. Doubtful either would be shifted to LW either with Redmond being signed on top of everyone else they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Reina confirmed gone for the season so Mignolet now number 1 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10192125/Pepe-Reina-to-leave-Liverpool-and-join-old-boss-Rafa-Benitez-on-a-season-long-loan-at-Napoli.html

I still favour Hart, I think he's worth the extra cash. Hasn't missed a game in three seasons, and despite a few people saying he won't be as good as last season, bear in mind that he did better the previous two. Practically guaranteed to play every game (barring injury) and pull you between 4-4.5 PPG. The only keeper that comes close to Hart is De Gea, but the opening fixtures favour Hart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

roryc wrote: »
    Reina confirmed gone for the season so Mignolet now number 1 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10192125/Pepe-Reina-to-leave-Liverpool-and-join-old-boss-Rafa-Benitez-on-a-season-long-loan-at-Napoli.html

I still favour Hart, I think he's worth the extra cash. Hasn't missed a game in three seasons, and despite a few people saying he won't be as good as last season, bear in mind that he did better the previous two. Practically guaranteed to play every game (barring injury) and pull you between 4-4.5 PPG. The only keeper that comes close to Hart is De Gea, but the opening fixtures favour Hart.

De Gea is Head and Shoulders above Hart in m opinion! :pac:

Going with Mingolet myself. That extra .5mill is going into Midfield/Attack. Debating Michu and Bony in midfield. Reluctant spending a combined 17mill on Swansea alone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

MagicIRL wrote: »
    De Gea is Head and Shoulders above Hart in m opinion! :pac:

Going with Mingolet myself. That extra .5mill is going into Midfield/Attack. Debating Michu and Bony in midfield. Reluctant spending a combined 17mill on Swansea alone though.

if swansea qualify for the europa lge group stages i think they could struggle up till xmas.

• Advertisement

I rate Hart considerably higher than De Gea. If they were the same price it wouldn't even be a debate. Both still the top two keepers in the league, no question. United have a much tougher start than City though.

Also, better nip this in the bud as a number of people are making the same mistake - M.I.G.N.O.L.E.T

Michu's not worth it imo, as much as he was the core of my team last year. He'll be splitting points with Bony, and you can get the likes of Walcott, Hazard and Silva for the same price(ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'm thinking of brining in Cech ahead of De Gea or Hart myself . Think Mourinho will have them a lot more solid at the back this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

What's your opinions on Altidore? Didn't look much use when he played in the premiership previously, but he was young at the time and seems to have matured and improved. Great goalscoring record with Alkmaar last season and with the USA national team recently. Could be a good diferential early on at 7m. Is fletcher injured for the start of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I'm thinking of brining in Cech ahead of De Gea or Hart myself . Think Mourinho will have them a lot more solid at the back this year .

Whats keeping me from Cech is the thought someone as experienced as Schwarzer wouldn't have gone there without an idea he was going to start some games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Whats keeping me from Cech is the thought someone as experienced as Schwarzer wouldn't have gone there without an idea he was going to start some games

$$$$$$

That's why he went there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

qwabercd wrote: »
    What's your opinions on Altidore? Didn't look much use when he played in the premiership previously, but he was young at the time and seems to have matured and improved. Great goalscoring record with Alkmaar last season and with the USA national team recently. Could be a good diferential early on at 7m. Is fletcher injured for the start of the season?

Like the look of altidore myself. Similar enough scoring record to bony. Is fletcher still out?

schwarzer will play carling cup games and the odd handy cl game. Cech is a great shout for keeper. Id fancy chelsea to keep the most clean sheets in the league next year. Pellegrini is a much more attacking manager than mancini which will probably result in city conceding more goals than the last couple of seasons.

Jax Teller wrote: »

If Cech was £6m he'd be a good shout, but at £6.5 he just won't score more than Hart. He's only played every game in a season once since he moved to Chelsea, and has a slightly worse PPG record than Hart over the last few seasons. His 08/09 season was phenominal but he's unlikely to repeat that again. Saying that, if Chelsea have a double he has to be considered.

I have Terry for Chelsea cover, he is incredible value at £6m if Mourinho makes him a regular again, which isn't a guarantee yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Paully D wrote: »
    RE: Sunderland's goalkeeper situation.

Not even us fans have a clue who will start the season, but if I had to bet money on it I'd say Westwood will start the first few games at least.

The club have been fairly adamant since Mignolet signed for Liverpool that they want to give him a chance given that he has been patient ever since he was brought to the club when at that time nearly everyone felt that he would be first choice ahead of Mignolet.

Essentially I think it will be his to lose, but it might not take much for it to happen considering we spent a couple of million on Mannone. If Westwood had full faith I think we'd have brought in a kid and let him mature a bit with no pressure (like what we did with Mignolet initially).

On a different note:

I have been spending a bit of time looking at the mid-priced striking options. One thing to consider is that both Bony and Van Wolfswinkel rotate about as well as one could hope for for teams who are a fair distance apart and not bound by the same police force looking after home games (32 out of the 38 games). Swansea have an extremely tough first few weeks, but as we've seen time and time again in this league a top striker will score goals even against tougher teams, perhaps even more so when they are new to the league and defenders don't have as much experience of them. It's possible to get a heavy hitter up front (such as Rooney, if he goes to Chelsea or Aguero) in alongside both of those without too much difficulty and still making a very balanced team, so if they can adapt to the Premier League then both of those will make an excellent 2 of 3 up top and for a reasonable price (although I feel Bony should have been about £0.5m cheaper than he is).

For those that want proven Premier League goals, Berbatov and any Chelsea striker will rotate every gameweek during the whole season so again if Rooney goes there it's something to consider. He also rotates with Bony 32 out of 38 games and Van Wolfswinkel 36 out of 38 so if you wanted to combine Berbatov and Bony/Wolf you could be sure of at least one of those two having a home game almost every week. Just typing that now makes me realise how Berbatov seems an excellent option despite the bad start. You're almost guaranteed 15 goals with him for a very fair price, and from gameweek 6 on his fixtures get quite kind with the odd couple of tough games in a row thrown in. Kone also rotates extremely well with the two new boys.

Rooney/Aguero + two of Berbatov/Bony/Van Wolfsinkel//Kone etc seems very manageable which is good news for those that want to try and get a few heavy hitters in all positions.

Cheers for the info on the Sunderland keepers Paully.

My advice: don't even think about rotating Bony and Van Wolfswinkel. One costs 8m and the other 7m. You just can't afford to tie that money up on your bench. If you plan on rotating midfielders or strikers (or one of each) based on fixtures, they've got to be much cheaper than that. Your bench should have 2 defenders and a very cheap midfielder or striker pretty much every week.

Berbatov is a great shout. I've gone through every striker and I think he is in the top three as regards that all important concept, VALUE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Pablo Hernandez for 6 million anyone?

My advice: don't even think about rotating Bony and Van Wolfswinkel. One costs 8m and the other 7m. You just can't afford to tie that money up on your bench. If you plan on rotating midfielders or strikers (or one of each) based on fixtures, they've got to be much cheaper than that. Your bench should have 2 defenders and a very cheap midfielder or striker pretty much every week.

Berbatov is a great shout. I've gone through every striker and I think he is in the top three as regards that all important concept, VALUE.

Lambert at the same price had more points last season (although played more minutes due to berbas injury). Points per minute ratio is very similiar. Value wise they are similiar for me. Berbatov is pushing on, whereas lambert arguably faces increased competition from rodriguez this season. I'm going to go for lambert for gw1 as they have the more favourable opening games.

Leroy Fer has an excellent goalscoring record (although he doesn't seem to get any assist..ever). Could be a steal at 6m, the only problem being he faces a lot of competition in the norwich midfield. Will be keeping an eye on him pre-season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Lambert at the same price had more points last season (although played more minutes due to berbas injury). Points per minute ratio is very similiar. Value wise they are similiar for me. Berbatov is pushing on, whereas lambert arguably faces increased competition from rodriguez this season. I'm going to go for lambert for gw1 as they have the more favourable opening games.

He was mediocre enough second half of the season. With the change in management J Rodriguez looked a bigger threat. He does have good fixtures, but is he really worth a full 1.5m more than J Rod? I wouldn't have thought so, could be wrong though!

He was mediocre enough second half of the season. With the change in management J Rodriguez looked a bigger threat. He does have good fixtures, but is he really worth a full 1.5m more than J Rod? I wouldn't have thought so, could be wrong though!

Fair point, hadn't really considered that to be honest. Will so how pre-season goes but if it looks like Rodriguez will be first choice then he represents serious value. Rodriguez scored 2 goals in their first pre-season game, and scored a peno in their second pre-season game.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Anyone got the home / away pairings for this season? Want 2 cheap rotating keepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

Anyone got the home / away pairings for this season? Want 2 cheap rotating keepers

They had a feature on that on FF scout last season, will have this time round,I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85555177

Page 6 of this thread.

We had a stickied FPL resources thread last season. Might be worth another.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85555177

Page 6 of this thread.

We had a stickied FPL resources thread last season. Might be worth another.

Great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

thats the way ive gone mysel paully d,

Foster

Sagna

Turner

Zabalata

Whittengham

Hazard

Walcott

Bale

Sturrige

Helenius

Augero

Bench

Boruc

Wilson

Ramage

Dikgaco

I cant figure out what team to build this year:confused: can I ask how many points you got last year as this looks like a good squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Ian Holloway managed Blackpool to relegation in 2011; they scored 55 goals whilst being relegated however, and were joint 8th highest goalscorers that season, tied with Spurs, who finished 5th. Palace scored over 70 in the championship last season and I'd imagine that he'll keep up the gung ho, score more than you attitude he deployed at Blackpool this season. There may be value to be had in the Palace mid/attack imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm happy with the signing, he was only a kid and playing in a horrendous Hull side with no idea in his last stint in England and has since come on leaps and bounds, but I'm not sure I would take a chance of him for a couple of reasons.

1) There's proven Premier League strikers such as Berbatov who should score around 15 goals and will take penalties that you can get for £0.5m more

2) After our first three winnable games, we play 6 of last seasons top 8 at home. Home games is usually where the goals (and points) come for us as we've never been even an average away side, so Sunderland as a whole may find Fantasy Football points difficult to come by for large parts of the opening months.
    Ice87 wrote: »
    Like the look of altidore myself. Similar enough scoring record to bony. Is fletcher still out?

Aye, he's still out. Initially he was supposed to be back for pre-season, but that hasn't happened unfortunately. Widely expected to be out for the first three or so games and is pushing for a late August/early September return now.

I think it might be a bit tough for Fletcher this year. Good player, no doubt, but players missing pre-season often makes it very hard for them to get up to the required fitness for quite a while.

No problem mate.

Oh yeah I agree, I'd never consider rotating them and my bench consists of cheap players from the three promoted teams, I was more so pointing out the rotation thing to show that at least one of them will have a home game most weeks, which I find extremely helpful for strikers in mid-table teams as although I don't have a stat to back it up, I'd be almost certain that they score a decent amount more of their goals at home than away.

Pair them with a heavy hitter who would be favoured to score whether they play home or away every week, and you're on to a good thing IMO.

At the minute I have to decide between one of Rooney (I'm presuming he ends up at Chelsea)/Aguero plus one of Bony/Van Wolfswinkel to partner Berbatov. I'm pretty set on those options as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People still think Hart is a great keeper after last season? Wow.

Liam O wrote: »

He had a very poor season last year lots of mistakes but the media highlighted DDGs mistakes a lot more. Maybe people are talking about hart being a great keeper for FF reasons( which in real football equates to City are good defensively).

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Paully D - resident Sunderland correspondent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liam O wrote: »

18 clean sheets!Can you say why you think he was so bad as I dont understand.
    I had him in goal nearly all season and it worked out very well for me!

In the premier league he is one of the best keepers,europe is a different story.

Can you please give some reasons for you statement,as I have him in goal again this year and plan to only use one keeper!

Advertisement