Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He had a very poor season last year lots of mistakes but the media highlighted DDGs mistakes a lot more. Maybe people are talking about hart being a great keeper for FF reasons( which in real football equates to City are good defensively).

Exactly, I'd have no problem with people saying he's good in FF terms but I've seen it mentioned here that he's a world class keeper and while he does still have potential he was really bad last season imo and really needs to step it up this season. He cost his team a lot of big games last season and can't keep that up if he's to be considered for me. DDG showed that he is a great option 2nd half of last season. He's not in my team atm but that's only because of money issues, when I make a bit of money early on i'll probably bring him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

18 clean sheets!Can you say why you think he was so bad as I dont understand.
    I had him in goal nearly all season and it worked out very well for me!

In the premier league he is one of the best keepers,europe is a different story.

Can you please give some reasons for you statement,as I have him in goal again this year and plan to only use one keeper!

City played terrible football last season, held possession for too long and lacked creativity they were playing a very defensive style, sometimes even going with 3 defenders. Tjat won't happen this season and the only area they haven't significantly strengthened is defense. Can't see how it's going to get better on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liam O wrote: »
    City played terrible football last season, held possession for too long and lacked creativity they were playing a very defensive style, sometimes even going with 3 defenders. Tjat won't happen this season and the only area they haven't significantly strengthened is defense. Can't see how it's going to get better on that front.

I agree they lacked spark up front and simply didnt deliver on the scoring front,but whether you like it or not their defence was the best in the league ,fewest goals conceded and most clean sheets.

The stats speak for them selves really.

Back on topic

Firstly anyone have an idea how much negredo will be?
    Im hoping rooney will go to chelsea and have them both
    Secondly whos the best stricker for 5 /5.5 mil ,Im thinking anelka ?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

I have him in goal again this year and plan to only use one keeper!

I am thinking the same, don't really like rotating keepers. City have nice fixtures to start with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

moreau wrote: »
    I am thinking the same, don't really like rotating keepers. City have nice fixtures to start with too.

Tempted with mignolet,and a mill cheaper just the first run of games are not that great,want to see the price of negredo first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Liam O wrote: »
    Exactly, I'd have no problem with people saying he's good in FF terms but I've seen it mentioned here that he's a world class keeper and while he does still have potential he was really bad last season imo and really needs to step it up this season.

I would have assumed that any comments made here are in relation to FF. Mine are anyway, this isn't the Soccer Forum. Hart has been the best keeper in the game the last three seasons. Whether he is one of the best keepers in the world is debateable, but not really the discussion for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Pablo Hernandez for 6 million anyone?
    On my radar alright. Tough opening fixtures but he can be an assist machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

My current draft has player from 14 different teams! Only team I've doubled up on is Everton. Haven't done this on purpose, only noticed it now. Not sure if this is a good thing or not! Probably make no difference!

Chelsea having a DGW will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lot of love for Berbatov here. I'll be giving him an extremely wide berth after last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

roryc wrote: »
    Chelsea having a DGW will change that.

Absolutely!

Lot of love for Berbatov here. I'll be giving him an extremely wide berth after last season.

7th highest goalscorer in the league for £7.5m. Easy choice imo.

I alternated between him and Lambert last season but I never really rated Lambert as a striker and feel uncomfortable having him in my team. Berbs is exciting, you always know there's a chance of him banging in a hat-trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

moreau wrote: »
    Paully D - resident Sunderland correspondent ;)

Just do the opposite of what I say and you shouldn't go too far wrong :pac:

I alternated between him and Lambert last season but I never really rated Lambert as a striker and feel uncomfortable having him in my team. Berbs is exciting, you always know there's a chance of him banging in a hat-trick.

Agree with this. Berbatov has done it time and time again in the Premier League and Fulham are built around him. Lambert, in my opinion, is more likely to be a flash in the pan similar to numerous strikers who came up from a lower league and banged them in for a season before struggling a bit. Either way there's still question marks over Lambert that don't come into consideration with Berbatov.

Arsenal injury blow as Laurent Koscielny limps out of training in Japan http://mirr.im/14tLhSt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just had a look back at last years thread to see when Chelsea's DGW was announced and was surprised it was June 26th. Probably wont have that early DGW this season if that is anything to go by.

Hopefully there's a DGW - makes GW1 a lot more interesting

Hopefully there's a DGW - makes GW1 a lot more interesting
    Ye it will make a big difference.
    If there is a DGW ill pick a team for the first 3 weeks and wildcard at the international break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Or doing nothing for weeks on end. Maybe I just had him at the wrong times, but I don't fancy Fulham for much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Arsenal injury blow as Laurent Koscielny limps out of training in Japan http://mirr.im/14tLhSt

I hope this isn't serious as I've been very tempted to pick him over Mert as my expensive defender. I think if fit he's a far greater prospect than Mert even if the points tally for last season disagrees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Here's my.... third? attempt.

In goal; Mingolet. Reina is off to Napoli so that means good ol' Min is #1 at 'pool and, given his performances last year with Sunderland, I think we can expect great value @ 5.5mill. If you also consider that Agger and Johnson had the most clean sheets in the PL last season, I think we can expect a good showing from Mingolet. Failing that I have Boruc in as my second 'keeper, at 4.5mill he's an excellent option and should be playing as the first choice goalie at S'hampton, meaning should Mingolet fail hard, or get injured, I have a viable option to turn to straight away.

In defence; I'm playing with a back three. Coleman is an absolute steal at 5mill and should be playing Wingback under Martinez. Unfortunately, because Martinez favours three at the back, I don't expect too many clean sheets, but the assists should fly in from Coleman if he's allowed forward. I've also opted for Ivanovich for 6.5mill. I expect Chelsea to be the team to beat this year, and given how impressive their midfield is, I expect clean sheets coming their way too. Ivan score 5 last season, with 1 assist and 12 clean sheets. Next I have Micky Turner at 4.5mill. read about him on the forum and everyone had him in so going with him until I decide otherwise. My backups are Whittaker and Baker, both at 4mill.

In midfield; Mata at 10.5mill, Kagawa at 8mill, Walcott at 9.5mill, Bale at 12mill and my back-up of Dembele at 5.5mill. I expect Mata to be brilliant again this season, and hopefully Kagawa will be playing behind RVP for United, which is where he tore teams apart from with Dortmund. Bale is a given, and it was a toss up between Walcott and Santi from Arsenal. Went with Wally for his tendency to get forward more in my opinion, and he was .5mill cheaper which helped.

Un front; RVW at 7mill, Bony at 8mill and Cornelius at 5.5mill. All three are untested, but I expect them to perform. I reckon I have enough top talent in midfield to weight a risk being taken on my front line.

Playing 3-4-3 for the most part, or 4-4-2 depending how this bonus points & defenders thing works out.

Feedback welcome.

• Advertisement

M.I.G.N.O.L.E.T

M.I.G.N.O.L.E.T

You forgot the '.' after the 'T' there, buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭bodking

MagicIRL wrote: »

In goal; Mingolet. Reina is off to Napoli so that means good ol' Min is #1 at 'pool and, given his performances last year with Sunderland, I think we can expect great value @ 5.5mill. If you also consider that Agger and Johnson had the most clean sheets in the PL last season, I think we can expect a good showing from Mingolet. Failing that I have Boruc in as my second 'keeper, at 4.5mill he's an excellent option and should be playing as the first choice goalie at S'hampton, meaning should Mingolet fail hard, or get injured, I have a viable option to turn to straight away.

In defence; I'm playing with a back three. Coleman is an absolute steal at 5mill and should be playing Wingback under Martinez. Unfortunately, because Martinez favours three at the back, I don't expect too many clean sheets, but the assists should fly in from Coleman if he's allowed forward. I've also opted for Ivanovich for 6.5mill. I expect Chelsea to be the team to beat this year, and given how impressive their midfield is, I expect clean sheets coming their way too. Ivan score 5 last season, with 1 assist and 12 clean sheets. Next I have Micky Turner at 4.5mill. read about him on the forum and everyone had him in so going with him until I decide otherwise. My backups are Whittaker and Baker, both at 4mill.

In midfield; Mata at 10.5mill, Kagawa at 8mill, Walcott at 9.5mill, Bale at 12mill and my back-up of Dembele at 5.5mill. I expect Mata to be brilliant again this season, and hopefully Kagawa will be playing behind RVP for United, which is where he tore teams apart from with Dortmund. Bale is a given, and it was a toss up between Walcott and Santi from Arsenal. Went with Wally for his tendency to get forward more in my opinion, and he was .5mill cheaper which helped.

Un front; RVW at 7mill, Bony at 8mill and Cornelius at 5.5mill. All three are untested, but I expect them to perform. I reckon I have enough top talent in midfield to weight a risk being taken on my front line.

Playing 3-4-3 for the most part, or 4-4-2 depending how this bonus points & defenders thing works out.

Feedback welcome.

Cant see any Man City players considering they have a reasonably easy start :

Newcastle home
    Cardiff away
    Hull home
    Stoke away

The minimum I would have is Hart at least 2 matches look good for Clean sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Been told Darren Bent is off to Fulham. That would make things interesting if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

MagicIRL wrote: »

Feedback welcome.

Whittaker isn't first choice for Norwich, Russell Martin seems to have that nailed on so I'd go for a Cardiff 4.0 instead. Ivanovic will get caught in rotation too I feel, even under Jose so I'd proceed with caution there.

It's refreshing to see Mata's name appear and I was a Mata man last year but he's Hazardously priced with Eden being a whole million cheaper which Matas at the start of the game :pac: (Sorry couldn't help it :D) Dembele is a good player but will achieve very little fantasy wise, even with these BPs potentially suiting midfield work and passing. Give me a potential assist/goal any week at a cheaper 5.0 mid

The forwards like you say are a gamble, I fully expect I'll have the Wolf but I may steer clear of Bony for a while, he hasn't got a work-permit yet (I think) either so we'll have to see if that clears up. The merits of the Berb are hard to ignore even if the rest of Fulham bar Ruiz is far from swashbuckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

what does everyone think of victor wanyama at €5m for Southampton?

I think there are better options out there.

what does everyone think of victor wanyama at €5m for Southampton?

If he plays a key part in S'hamptons game, which I think he will given his size and presence, I think he could be worth the 5mill. I've swapped Dembele for him as my back-up midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Chelsea players are a hard one to call, 1st up is a home match against Hull City were goals might be flowing but then a tough away fixture against Man Utd, they then have GW3 off followed by an away match against Everton and a home game with Spurs. A DGW1 would be great though.

I think Hazard will be there for the home game against Hull and then go for a Man city player against Cardiff, Hull and Swansea GW2-4 with Silva an option.

• Advertisement

Steven81 wrote: »
    Chelsea players are a hard one to call, 1st up is a home match against Hull City were goals might be flowing but then a tough away fixture against Man Utd, they then have GW3 off followed by an away match against Everton and a home game with Spurs. A DGW1 would be great though.

I think Hazard will be there for the home game against Hull and then go for a Man city player against Cardiff, Hull and Swansea GW2-4 with Silva an option.

good call

Advertisement