Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

what about this scurrle guy at chelsea? anyone know much about him? he's down as a midfielder, i just remember when chelsea were buying him ssn reported him as a striker, his wiki has him down as a winger/forward? he's only 8.0 mil? anyone clued up on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just a few comments;

Trying to successfully put in RvP and Bale at £26m is extremely difficult. Think it would be crazy to risk it.

I don't think RvP is worth it at £14m, he'll bang in 20 goals but he needs to be hitting 30 to be worth it, and with Moyes there are no guarantees.

I was set on having Bale, but 50% of people have chosen him, which means he won't be gaining you any major points. Although if I don't pick him, I risk getting left behind.

Looking at 4.0m defenders, Faye (Hull) looks a good bet, scored 4 goals in the championship but only played around 70% of games. Hull played with a back 3 last year and Chester played the most, who is also 4m. Figueroa has joined them this season, but is 4.5m.
    From Crystal Palace Ramage looks the best bet. He's 4m, got 4 goals and an assist last season along with playing 40 league games.
    Looking at Cardiff's defence, Connolly got 5 goals last season, but is 4.5.

One last comment, Glen Murray for Crystal Palace scored 30 league goals last season. He 5.5, and he also takes penalties. I think he'll be my cheap striker. Not convinced about Anelka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Murray should be out injured for most of the season . Fcuked his knee up in the playoffs .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Murray should be out injured for most of the season . Fcuked his knee up in the playoffs .
    Balls.. Poor fcuker. Just looked him up properly there. Highest goalscorer in top 2 divisions of European 5 leading leagues last season, after Messi and Ronaldo. He should be flagged on the site.

Anyway, first draft:
    o022.png

Will have to rotate to take Murray out..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone managed to get a decent team in with Bale, Van Persie and Aguero in it? I'm trying, but it's very tough! Enjoying it though, there should be plenty of different teams this year.

Its near impossible

811d030418409d4fe484238f95ce8a9d.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Its near impossible

well you have opted for RVP AND Aguero up front as well as Bale in fairness haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My team but I have changed it 6 times already !:P

Team.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Paully D wrote: »
    Do we know who the starting full backs are for Arsenal this year lads? Sagna on the right, but who out of Monreal or Gibbs will be on the left?

Wouldn't go near either left back, they got rotated a lot after Monreal signed. I'd expect Sagna to start if he stays, if he goes Jenkinson will be a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

AdamD wrote: »
    Wouldn't go near either left back, they got rotated a lot after Monreal signed. I'd expect Sagna to start if he stays, if he goes Jenkinson will be a great option.

Aye, I usually prefer to pick full backs over centre backs but with the new bonus point system I guess the difference will be negated a bit.

I wonder if Pellegrini will play Nastastic or Lescott alongside Kompany? Whoever starts is great value given City's opening games.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

First Draft... Thoughts?

VQPHXD3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Miralles is down as a midfielder this year @ 7.5, which I like a lot. He kind of plays as a CF and I could see Martinez playing him off Kone

A lot of people eyeing up Bellamy but I prefer Whittingham (same price), from what little I saw of Cardiff and stats from last year...Someone who knows Cardiff could convince me otherwise

Other than this not much to say from last year only news of bonus points. Defenders also look cheap. Will most likely not have RVP from start.

Also such a pity Rodriguez (Southampton) remains a striker not a midfielder, would have luved that! Lambert essentially plays up front alone for Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

What's new about the Bonus Points?

I've seen a few teams with Villa defenders...I would steer clear for the first few weeks, really tough start and it was hardly a watertight defence last year.

There's actually quite a few Irish lads I think are very good value Coleman, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Brady, Gibson.

I really think Coleman is a must have at 5.0m. They might leak a few more goals this year, but I think Martinez will encourage him and Baines to bomb forward as much as possible. He went with a 3-4-3 style formation before, so if he did something like that, we could see Coleman effectively playing as a winger.

My first draft:

Cech

Turner Olsson Coleman

Bale Hazard Pilkington Bellamy

RVP Sturridge Anelka

Subs: Boruc Clyne Faye Brady

I can't decide between Plikington/Hoolahan for that mf position. I have a good feeling for Norwich this year. I had wanted to get Van Wolf in, but with Anelka being 1.5 mill cheaper and a proven PL goalscorer, it was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Can't wait to see how the above changes before kick off!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

People are blindly picking Bony, his first couple of games are difficult, wont be getting him until at least week 3 unless he scores 2 against United and shoots up.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Liam O wrote: »
    People are blindly picking Bony, his first couple of games are difficult, wont be getting him until at least week 3 unless he scores 2 against United and shoots up.

Definitely, give him a week or two to settle in and see how he looks. Unproven in the league and a seriously tough start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Can anyone see a non detrimental way to save the 1.5 I need for this draft?

iy341s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

iy341s.jpg

Depending on Benteke getting a move to a better team,have him instead of Aguero.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

iy341s.jpg

De Gea to Boruc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

iy341s.jpg

Anelka for rvw . As you well know turner is the main man at norwich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I think Anelka will play out wide for WBA Like Odemwingie did for them he used to do it for Chelsea regularly .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I think Anelka will play out wide for WBA Like Odemwingie did for them he used to do it for Chelsea regularly .

ye you could be right there. Will keep an eye on it preseason he's getting on a bit now so Clarke may be sympathetic and play him through the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nani's apparently being offered a new contract at United. If he plays as well as he can, he could be a steal at 7.5m

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nani's apparently being offered a new contract at United. If he plays as well as he can, he could be a steal at 7.5m

Yeah I'd wait and see if he starts regularly first though, if he does he'd go straight in but it's a good chunk of money tied up in an unreliable starter, especially at the start of the season when we're all at 100.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah I agree, lot of factors to consider. Of course United have bought Zaha so that's more competition for the wing berths. As I said previously, no point worrying too much about your team at this point :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

slingerz wrote: »
    Anyone able to give a list of the teams that rotate well together

I think these are the teams most are fairly obvious.
    Newcastle Sunderland
    Liverpool Everton
    Man Utd Man City
    Arsenal Spurs
    Chelsea Fulham
    Cardiff Swansea
    A Villa WBA
    Hull Palace
    Stoke Norwich
    West ham Southampton

I would use this somewhat as a way of picking my team. Teams score more goals when playing at home and concede less. So your best having as many players playing at home every week.

As things stand Ill have RVP, Aguero, Bale, Walcott. These will be my captain options and Im guaranteed that two of them will have a home game every week.

Defensively Toure & Coleman both 5 million and S Taylor & Cuellar both 4.5 and Wilson & Turner both 4.5 are good combinations to go with. Again your guaranteeing yourself 2 cheap defenders having a home game.

GKs last year Begovic Jaaskelinen rotated perfectly and both started at 4.5. Westwood and Krul or Vorm and Marshall(cardiff) could be decent options.Having said that I may just go with DDG and a 4million goalie and play DDG every week.

mectavba wrote: »
    What's new about the Bonus Points?

I really think Coleman is a must have at 5.0m. They might leak a few more goals this year, but I think Martinez will encourage him and Baines to bomb forward as much as possible. He went with a 3-4-3 style formation before, so if he did something like that, we could see Coleman effectively playing as a winger.

!
    Hadnt thought of that its an excellent point you make there and I think that system would really suit both baines and coleman.

slingerz wrote: »
    Anyone able to give a list of the teams that rotate well together

All credit to Fantasy Football Mad.com

11b9d0c3fda9491b987697a6c64c5f06.png

What do you lads think of Sturridge this year? He's not cheap at £9.0m, but Liverpool have a terrific start and it looks like he'll be the main man in attack. Aguero and Sturridge along with Bale plus another heavy hitter or two in midfield is quite attainable, in comparison to Van Persie's price.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭basillarkin

thats the way ive gone mysel paully d,

Foster

Sagna

Turner

Zabalata

Whittengham

Hazard

Walcott

Bale

Sturrige

Helenius

Augero

Bench

Boruc

Wilson

Ramage

Dikgaco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

Love how this year are so many different strategies starting out, as going big in FW weakens whole team. But then again easy captain decisions....

Also, not many new must have faces in yet and no championship players seem to be sticking out bar few cheap options here and there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Advertisement