Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice HTC one billpay deal (IMO)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You automatically go on a 30 day month-to-month contract- and you have to give at least 30 days notice to cancel it (e.g. if you cancel it day 2 of one of the 30 day rolling contracts- you are actually giving them 58 days- aka 28days + 30 days- i.e. you have be a nazi watching exactly when to give your notice).

So for those of us who moved to O2 to get the HTC, should we be giving 30 days notice to cancel in month 5 of the 6 month contract so as to avoid ever going onto 30 day rolling contracts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So for those of us who moved to O2 to get the HTC, should we be giving 30 days notice to cancel in month 5 of the 6 month contract so as to avoid ever going onto 30 day rolling contracts?

Pop into one of their stores and ask- thats just what they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You automatically go on a 30 day month-to-month contract- and you have to give at least 30 days notice to cancel it (e.g. if you cancel it day 2 of one of the 30 day rolling contracts- you are actually giving them 58 days- aka 28days + 30 days- i.e. you have be a nazi watching exactly when to give your notice).

Cheers for the heads up.

Will ring them and find out exactly which day I have to give notice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up.

Will ring them and find out exactly which day I have to give notice
    I've already done that, and set a reminder on my phone! I was told 30 days before contract is due to end, rolls over at midnight so call the evening before the date.
    That's what I was told, but ring and check dates yourself, I will be asking again, I don't trust O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

mymo wrote: »
    I just rang to complain about their crappy website not allowing me to view bills for last 3 months and was offered a Christmas special, free calls, free texts and 5gb data for the same €55pm I'm paying now. I said no, as it would extend my contract and I can't wait to get away from O2. (No 3G in my area and it's even poor in Kilkenny City)
    Might be worth asking about offers if you're interested.

Thanks the_conductor, will look at that.

they offered me unlimited calls, texts but only 1GB data for €45/month for 6 months, think 1GB data is too tight and that price still high so looking around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

Got offered unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 60 minutes and 60 texts to the UK & 4Gb of data today for €55pm. Call quality on O2 is really bad where I live though so I said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Just been on the Tesco Mobile site, the price difference is ridiculous - pay as you go - unlimited calls/texts/5GB data for €15, what 02 were offering me for €45 but with just 1GB data :mad:

the 5GB data is for 3 months only though, not clear what happens after that...

edit: anyone any experience on Tesco Mobile?

edit 2: Tesco 1 month contract: for €30 - 500 texts/mins (more than enough for me) plus 15GB data versus 02 unlimited calls/texts and their meagre 1GB data on a 6 month contract, rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

This is my first proper smart phone. I previously had a Nokia N8 which you wouldn't really call a smart phone, more an average intelligence phone at best.

The one app I have really fallen in love with is Google Music. I pay the €8 a month for it and all. I can never download on this poxy 3Gig plan though, it downloads high bitrate music(as it should) which eats through the data allowance.

In however many months I'm going to go straight onto all you can eat 3G and wait it out for an affordable 4G plan. That will bring this phone from awesome to epic!

I assume some of you have now cancelled your contracts and are leaving O2, I had a nightmare with them and can't wait to leave.
    First they sent the phone with no confirmation of my purchase or the contract, then I had to call to get number ported over as the forgot? I still got no contract or details from them.
    Then I got no bill but was direct debited, still no sign of any contract or even confirmation of one.
    The website is a nightmare, only got to view my bills in November as there were "issues" with my account and I couldn't log in.
    Customer service weren't very helpful, and the final straw was me ringing to see when the earliest date to cancel was and being told there was a charge of €37.58 to cancel. ( even after my contract ended)
    I received 4 calls to try and get me to extend contract even after asking not to be contacted for sales.

After a long call and me pointing all of the above out, and specifically my first call, where I asked if there were any fees involved in leaving after my contract ended (I was told none) and that I never even received a contract or any details of one, an agent called me back to apologise, and told me I can leave in 3 weeks with no fees other than my final bill of €55.

I will never go to O2 again, but I do love my HTC one!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I rang them last week and there seems to be no problem cancelling.

They said I don't have to give any notice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Is there a way to cancel your contract on the website or do you have phone them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

donnyb28 wrote: »
    Is there a way to cancel your contract on the website or do you have phone them?

Two people I know have been told they do not need to contact O2 to cancel the contract. I thought someone here had mentioned it automatically goes onto a rolling contract if you don't, but according to two 02 reps that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Informed a number of times by customer care if I cancel on the final day of the contract, sim becomes pay as you go. I cannot pre-empt this it has to be done on the day.

The other option a complete cancelation has to be done with a month’s notice of contract end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Danda99

As the 6 months is nearly up I contacted O2 to see what happens next only to be told my contract is for a year! That wasn't the deal.

(They also inputted by credit card details right for buying the phone but wrong for the direct debit to pay my bills so I got penalty fees from themselves and the bank when it didn't go through)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I asked this question in the O2 Forum

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057113691

I was also originally told no fees and no notice needed, rang just to check when this month I could go to another network, only to be told I have to give 30 days notice, and there was a cancellation fee.
    I was told even if I cancel on the day the contract ended I still had to pay for another month and the cancellation fee, I was very angry but calm and finally they rang me back over Christmas to confirm I could leave with no penalty in three weeks.
    I had also previously been told it went to payg after contract, but this was not true according to the person I spoke to on dec 23rd. I would have continued to be billed as normal until I gave the 30 days notice, and then charged a fee on top!

Just wanted to warn people to double check with O2, they record all their calls and only after I insisted they check my calls, did they finally agree to let me go without extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the best provider for at least 2gb data and 'loads of minutes'/or mainly free calls to meteor?
    I'd like to spend no more than 30 a month if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

tesco mobile

dinneenp wrote: »
    What's the best provider for at least 2gb data and 'loads of minutes'/or mainly free calls to meteor?

I find myself posting this annually. I've been with 3 for about 4 years. €20 a month gives you:

-Free 3 to 3 calls
    -Unlimited txts
    -Unlimited Internet (Apparently a 15gb p/m fair usage policy). Also includes tethering unlike some networks.
    -Free calls to any network at weekends.

If the coverage is good in your area it's a bargain. Especially for tethering and the weekend calls. You also keep your €20 credit for anything else you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I find myself posting this annually. I've been with 3 for about 4 years. €20 a month gives you:

-Free 3 to 3 calls
    -Unlimited txts
    -Unlimited Internet (Apparently a 15gb p/m fair usage policy). Also includes tethering unlike some networks.

If the coverage is good in your area it's a bargain. Especially for tethering and the weekend calls. You also keep your €20 credit for anything else you need.
    it's against 3's terms and conditions to tether but they can't actually stop you doing it.

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    it's against 3's terms and conditions to tether but they can't actually stop you doing it.

Vodafone and O2 don't stop you either (but they don't have the 15Gb allowance).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Vodafone and O2 don't stop you either (but they don't have the 15Gb allowance).

I've been charged silly amounts for tethering on Vodafone I'm the past. Not sure what they're like now though.

-Free 3 to 3 calls
    -Unlimited txts

When your 30 days is up you can also buy bundles of internet and texts, my daughter can get 3 months usage with €20!

Edited to add, she's a teenager, they all use skype, viber, whats app, Facebook chat to communicate, very few actual calls.

-Free 3 to 3 calls
    -Unlimited txts

One reason not to port to 3- is it'll be sometime just after Doomsday before your HTC One will receive its Kitkat update. Vodafone and O2 are months faster than 3 at rolling out updates.

One reason not to port to 3- is it'll be sometime just after Doomsday before your HTC One will receive its Kitkat update. Vodafone and O2 are months faster than 3 at rolling out updates.

Is that up to the network? I don't have an android phone but would have thought that's out of their hands, maybe not.

Horses for courses I guess. The 3 deal has always seemed solid for me. I think it's ridiculous other networks offering 1 or 2gb in this day and age and almost insulting anything less. Plus for the €20 I spend, I get an extra €10 credit because I'm still on an old deal they used to have. All those calls, txts and Internet and still €30 left in credit. As was mentioned I often can get through a month and a half/2 months with one top up.

-Free 3 to 3 calls
    -Unlimited txts

Yeah, it clearly says in 3's terms and conditions that you can't tether. That said, I called up 3's helpline when I was on holiday and the place I stayed at didn't have WiFi even though it was listed in the facilities. The person I spoke to at 3 was more than willing to run through step-by-step how to tether. I already knew how, was only calling to see if I was allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Called O2 support today and they basically told me that I didn't have to give any notice when leaving the network once my contract was finished and that I'd get a call before they put me on another contract. So from the look of this thread, it depends on who you get talking to when you call...

Think I'll be moving over to the Three pay as you go €20 a month deal in 12 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

robz18 wrote: »
    Called O2 support today and they basically told me that I didn't have to give any notice when leaving the network once my contract was finished and that I'd get a call before they put me on another contract. So from the look of this thread, it depends on who you get talking to when you call...

Think I'll be moving over to the Three pay as you go €20 a month deal in 12 days or so.

That's weird. I checked with them and they told me I had to give 30 days notice which I did on 23/12. Will be moving back to Three. I've found the 2GB per month limit on O2 very restrictive, if I'm an a bus I have to check my usage before downloading a new podcast or streaming some video.

I notice that new customers have to pay €2.99 a month for Three Like Home now which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dinneenp wrote: »

Meteor or eMobile. Both offer unlimited any network calls and texts. Meteor give 5GB 1GB data. eMobile give 15GB data. Both charge for Non Geo calls [1890, 1850 etc]. Free voicemail.

Meteor @ €30
    eMobile @ €32

EDIT : Sorry, Meteor only give 1GB on that plan. eMobile is a winner in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Nuts had no idea, have been doing it for about 2 years, since I moved from o2 to 3, never realised wasn't supposed to! Oops, well, no harm no foul, right? :o

Advertisement