Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice HTC one billpay deal (IMO)

Options
  • 13-07-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

...well, i guess its up to personal opinion, but...
    o2 billpay, e199 on a 6 month contract, e55.

I've been watching prices for a while and this seems best value for money (depending on your usage i guess)- unless youre lucky to be eligible/ get away with being on the 48 network plan of course...

my reasoning (for those interested):
    with prepay on any network, i figured youre looking at about e550, plus credit. those unlimited texts/data/etc for 30 days when you top up are handy, but still youre looking at around e240 extra based over a year.

tbh, i dont see the advantage of billpay pricing, except to lower the initial cost of a new handset, correct? very few good billpay plans out there IMO.

for this reason, I kinda figured that the shorter a contract the better (unless you get a GREAT deal youre happy with), and as far as i could see, o2 are the only ones offering 6 month contracts. most of these plans happen to have a high initial phone charge (e430 for the One on a basic bill), but LO AND BEHOLD, if you splash out on the e55 per month plan, the cost drops to e200!

still not quite "free", as offered on longer term plans, but then again, a quick calculation reveals e200 + (e55*6mth) = e530, PLUS the plan offers unlimited calls & texts and 2gb internet, which is very appealing! then once the 6 months are up youve paid off your phone and are free to switch network or revert to prepay as desired- happy out! hope this helps guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Went with this deal 2 weeks ago, I had just got an O2 sim only plan last month and decided I'd like to get a HTC One. I contacted the O2 sales via the "chat" on the website and they gave me the phone for €159 (20% discount), not sure why they gave me the discount, I only had the O2 sim only plan for 2 weeks at most and I had been with meteor/3 for about 4 years previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I suspect they won't give you an unlock code after only 6 months though. Probably can get it unlocked by a third party anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

beauf wrote: »
    I suspect they won't give you an unlock code after only 6 months though. Probably can get it unlocked by a third party anyway.

I was on a 6 month contract with them before and I got the unlock code about 5 days after I signed up. Once they have you in contract, no matter how short they'll give you the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kevface91

Senna good work! I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is your sim only plan? (please dont tell me its the basic plan!) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gines_

beauf wrote: »

All HTC phones I ever owned didnt have a simlock, even though bought in Meteor (Desire and Sensation) or Vodafone (OneX and One) store.
    They all had branded software (provider specific apps/ logo on startup etc) but never had a simlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Good find OP. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

How good is the new One?

I'm coming to the end of my contract with Meteor (thank ****) which was an iPhone plan but thanks to no insurance I'm using a One S at the minute. Is the new One much of an upgrade on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

cson wrote: »
    How good is the new One?

I'm coming to the end of my contract with Meteor (thank ****) which was an iPhone plan but thanks to no insurance I'm using a One S at the minute. Is the new One much of an upgrade on that?

Should be a much better experience than the One S.

One is an upgrade to the One X (which was a better phone than the One S). Faster processor, bigger screen than the S, much better sound from the twin speakers, updated version of Sense etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Kevface91 wrote: »
    Senna good work! I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is your sim only plan? (please dont tell me its the basic plan!) :P

Sorry didn't make myself clear, I went for the €55 6 month contract, I just stopped the sim only plan after 2 weeks and started the contract.

A HTC One on a sim only plan for €159 would be a bit much to ask for:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SteM wrote: »
    Should be a much better experience than the One S.

One is an upgrade to the One X (which was a better phone than the One S). Faster processor, bigger screen than the S, much better sound from the twin speakers, updated version of Sense etc.

Its probably technically the most advanced phone you can buy.
    It has copied a notable competitor and hewn the phone from a single block of Aluminium. Into this it has placed a lovely screen, and all manner of goodies- the one killer feature however is the camera. HTC call the main camera- an 'Ultra pixel' camera. Its only listed as a 4MP camera- however the pixels are the same size as on conventional cameras (aka not the camera you'll find in a phone)- the closest comparison you'll find to this would be the Panasonic Lumix Smart Camera.

There is a great review here: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/8068966118/htc-one-camera-review

The only thing I'd have against the phone- no removable/add-on memory options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kevface91

Its probably technically the most advanced phone you can buy.
    It has copied a notable competitor and hewn the phone from a single block of Aluminium. Into this it has placed a lovely screen, and all manner of goodies- the one killer feature however is the camera. HTC call the main camera- an 'Ultra pixel' camera. Its only listed as a 4MP camera- however the pixels are the same size as on conventional cameras (aka not the camera you'll find in a phone)- the closest comparison you'll find to this would be the Panasonic Lumix Smart Camera.

There is a great review here: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/8068966118/htc-one-camera-review

The only thing I'd have against the phone- no removable/add-on memory options.

yeah, i hate that lack of memory storage! i bought a 16gb micro SD only a few months ago! :P

**Also unfortunately it is unlocked to o2, even though my experience has also always been of HTCs being unlocked....

but yeah its a fantastic phone, I'm loving it. the aluminium case feels awesome, the speakers are really powerful, the ultrapixel camera is a wonder, and im loving all the built-in toys like NFC and IR (i have a couple of remotes with broken power buttons, etc, so this is a lifesaver!)

Basically the phone is equivalent to the galaxy s4, specs-wise, except it has the ultrapixel camera (instead of many more [redundant?] megapixels), a better speaker, no microSD, and no gimmicky features like the eye tracking. (here, listen Samsung- why would i need you to pause video when i look away from the screen?! if i wanna pause my video, I'll press the pause button, its not rocket science!) etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So after 6 months can you move to any network?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So after 6 months can you move to any network?

Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

Thanks Op. Picked this up myself. Used the code AFF2013PREM to get 10% off the phone price

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

Is this deal available to current o2 customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

tdow wrote: »
    Thanks Op. Picked this up myself. Used the code AFF2013PREM to get 10% off the phone price

I think you can use fatcheese to get another 30 euro off as well.

Anyone else having trouble with the site? Tried on two different browsers but can't get passed the 'porting' page.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

Many thanks kevface91, I ordered mine today.

I've been watching prices for a while and this seems best value for money (depending on your usage i guess)- unless youre lucky to be eligible/ get away with being on the 48 network plan of course...

my reasoning (for those interested):
    with prepay on any network, i figured youre looking at about e550, plus credit. those unlimited texts/data/etc for 30 days when you top up are handy, but still youre looking at around e240 extra based over a year.

tbh, i dont see the advantage of billpay pricing, except to lower the initial cost of a new handset, correct? very few good billpay plans out there IMO.

for this reason, I kinda figured that the shorter a contract the better (unless you get a GREAT deal youre happy with), and as far as i could see, o2 are the only ones offering 6 month contracts. most of these plans happen to have a high initial phone charge (e430 for the One on a basic bill), but LO AND BEHOLD, if you splash out on the e55 per month plan, the cost drops to e200!

still not quite "free", as offered on longer term plans, but then again, a quick calculation reveals e200 + (e55*6mth) = e530, PLUS the plan offers unlimited calls & texts and 2gb internet, which is very appealing! then once the 6 months are up youve paid off your phone and are free to switch network or revert to prepay as desired- happy out! hope this helps guys!

adcrawley wrote: »
    Many thanks kevface91, I ordered mine today.

Hi adcrawley - were you a current t customer of o2 or did you switch from another network? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

rochestown wrote: »
    Hi adcrawley - were you a current t customer of o2 or did you switch from another network? Thanks...

Hi there, it seems to be available for o2 customers. Did you check your upgrade? I am getting offered it on upgrade for €199, and then there is 20% off via O2 Priority which brings it down to €159.

Very good offer imo. I have been meaning to ditch o2 for ages now, but looks like I am going to be with them for another months,

Thanks OP

• Advertisement

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Hi there, it seems to be available for o2 customers. Did you check your upgrade? I am getting offered it on upgrade for €199, and then there is 20% off via O2 Priority which brings it down to €159.

Very good offer imo. I have been meaning to ditch o2 for ages now, but looks like I am going to be with them for another months,

Thanks OP

Hi RIALTO1 - im in the same boat - wouldn't mind moving from o2 but this offer seems pretty goods - spoke to them this morning but they told me on my Gold upgrade i could move for E199 but would need to sign a 12 month contract? Did you sign a 6 month?

Ported from 3, no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Hi RIALTO1 - im in the same boat - wouldn't mind moving from o2 but this offer seems pretty goods - spoke to them this morning but they told me on my Gold upgrade i could move for E199 but would need to sign a 12 month contract? Did you sign a 6 month?

That's strange, on a gold upgrade?!? Did you try online? When I logged in first it did bring me to the 18mth contracts, but I just selected the 6 month contracts.I have a bronze one, and online it is letting me buy the 6 months. I haven't processed it fully yet as I just need to sort something out, but I have the "buy now" option available. Unless it would stop me later on?

BTW for the €55 a month x 12 months contract, it quotes me €149 (pre 20% discount).

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Me & wife signed up yesterday for the 6 months scheme, as they gave 20% for both of us
    bringing it down to 159e, and we were switching from vodafone.
    We used the live customer chat service from their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I got a 20% off code from the sales representative on their chat. I think it was JULYCHAT

I got a 20% off code from the sales representative on their chat. I think it was JULYCHAT

Didn't work for me.

Use JULYCHAT2013
    Didn't work for me.

Use JULYCHAT2013

Yes, this is the code given by the online support. This plus the €30 fatcheese cashback and 6 month contract make this a fantastic bargain imo.

Ported from 3, no problems

Were you out of contract or on a sim only contract or payg? I'm on a 30 day sim only contract with Three and was wondering if I can hand in my 30 days notice tomorrow and port my number immediately paying Three for the final 30 days.

• Advertisement

Use JULYCHAT2013

It asks for a validation too. Am I missing something?

Advertisement