Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

2 good games on screen at the mo. djokovic v mayer and kirilenko v robson.

robson just broke in the second set after taking the first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Robbo up a double break now.

Can't figure out if she's playing brilliantly or there's something wrong with Kirilenko? Or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

absolutely delighted Nadal is out, honour and dignity back in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Really fun match between Gasquet and Granoellers atm.

And laura robson beats kirilenko 2-0

• Advertisement

Laura played really well but I'd be fairly sure there was something wrong with Kirilenko. Didn't look right at all.

Well done Laura though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Fantastic result for Robson and now she has a great chance to make it to the 3rd round and maybe even further.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well done to Laura. Given how inconsistent she can be I'm taking nothing for granted, but you'd think she has a shot at a R4 showing here? Mariana Duque next, surely that's a guaranteed win.

Well done to Laura. Given how inconsistent she can be I'm taking nothing for granted, but you'd think she has a shot at a R4 showing here? Mariana Duque next, surely that's a guaranteed win.

You would think so but she has a habit of losing matches where she is the clear favourite. She might have been better off if Georges had won.

On paper she should make R4 but she seems to have more problems winning against lesser opponents than she does winning against Top 10's.

If she sorts out her consistency, and hopefully working with MacLagan will do that, she could easily be top 10 in a year or so. She's got a lot of points to defend at the US Open though, so a good showing here would take a lot of that pressure off. Could also get her a seeding for US, which she just missed out on for Wimbledon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

On paper she should make R4 but she seems to have more problems winning against lesser opponents than she does winning against Top 10's.

If she sorts out her consistency, and hopefully working with MacLagan will do that, she could easily be top 10 in a year or so. She's got a lot of points to defend at the US Open though, so a good showing here would take a lot of that pressure off. Could also get her a seeding for US, which she just missed out on for Wimbledon.

I'm pretty sure the coaching with MacLagan is just a temporary fix until she can find someone permanent. I think the Adidas team that she was working with after Krajan just wasn't suitable, any time she competed against another Adidas player she was left high and dry.

Brilliant win for her today even if Kirilenko was injured. She really should beat Duque-Marino in the next round. But julia :facepalm: Her results this year have been a joke.

On a different note, Paszek is now out of the top 100 :rolleyes: And if she can't defend her Rogers Cup points she'll be just inside the top 200. (Baring in mind, she'll have to qualify for it and make QF) Considering she was seeded #28 at this slam, that is a massive drop in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Great win for Robson, hope now after knocking out Kirilenko she builds on it. Played great today except for forgetting how to toss a ball in that deciding game!! :)

Sad to see Tamira have such a bad loss, met her last year and she was loveliest girl to talk with. Was in airport and ended up sitting beside her waiting on our flights. Was doing great at the time, this year she seems to be struggling a lot to find form.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Great win for Robson, hope now after knocking out Kirilenko she builds on it. Played great today except for forgetting how to toss a ball in that deciding game!! :)

Sad to see Tamira have such a bad loss, met her last year and she was loveliest girl to talk with. Was in airport and ended up sitting beside her waiting on our flights. Was doing great at the time, this year she seems to be struggling a lot to find form.

It's more injuries and viral illnesses than struggling to find form. She did retire against Wozniacki in Eastbourne R1 so I wasn't expecting her to do much here.

Pironkova playing GOAT as usual at Wimbledon. Poor Pavlyuchenkova, Hingis coaching her hasn't seemed to help. :rolleyes:

woopah92 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the coaching with MacLagan is just a temporary fix until she can find someone permanent. I think the Adidas team that she was working with after Krajan just wasn't suitable, any time she competed against another Adidas player she was left high and dry.

That Adidas Team thing is rubbish. It'd be a shame if she doesn't stick with MacLagan, or someone, for a long period of time. She's still developing and she needs consistency off the court as well as on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SLenihan

Will it be Federer vs Djokovic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He probably could have come back and played Australia but I don't think he wanted to. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he played one US Series event and the US Open and that's it for the rest of the year. His 2 months on clay were enough to qualify him for the YEC's and everything after Wimbledon is bonus points for him as he has nothing to defend.

Good video here on the forces the knee joint experiences in tennis

Kohlshreiber got some splainin to do.

Retired 2-1 down in the 5th set because he "felt sick". Boris was shocked when they showed him it on Today at Wimbledon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Retired 2-1 down in the 5th set because he "felt sick". Boris was shocked when they showed him it on Today at Wimbledon.

heard about this, sounds disgraceful.

Gasquet won in the end fun game,Berdych and Del Potro came through easily enough, easy games though so can't get excited about any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Apparently he said he's had the flu for the last few days and hasn't really been able to practice or anything. Don't know how true or not that is.

^ He got through 4 sets before he decided he was too ill. I don't know, but it doesn't make him look good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

^ He got through 4 sets before he decided he was too ill. I don't know, but it doesn't make him look good.

Yeah, like I say, I dunno how true that is. Surely if he really was that ill, he'd have forfeited before the match even started? I think if I had the flu, I'd probably wouldn't feel up to going out there at all.

Yeah, like I say, I dunno how true that is. Surely if he really was that ill, he'd have forfeited before the match even started? I think if I had the flu, I'd probably wouldn't feel up to going out there at all.

Money money money! I'd go on court on one leg for £23,500!

Money money money! I'd go on court on one leg for £23,500!

If he did it for the money, which is unlikely, why would he play 4 sets instead of just one. It was a strange decision given that he still had every chance of winning the match.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's more injuries and viral illnesses than struggling to find form. She did retire against Wozniacki in Eastbourne R1 so I wasn't expecting her to do much here.

Pironkova playing GOAT as usual at Wimbledon. Poor Pavlyuchenkova, Hingis coaching her hasn't seemed to help. :rolleyes:
    Pavlyuchenkova needs to act fast if she wants to rescue her career. She's almost 22 and it's almost 2 years since she made an impact at a slam. I know Pironkova on grass is a very hard draw, but still... to win just a single game :eek:
    Speaking of Pironkova, she doesn't have a terribly difficult draw, I think she'll definitely get to at least the 4R where she'd probably face Radwanska, whom I think Pironkova is more than capable of beating.

Brilliant win for her today even if Kirilenko was injured. She really should beat Duque-Marino in the next round. But julia :facepalm: Her results this year have been a joke.

On a different note, Paszek is now out of the top 100 :rolleyes: And if she can't defend her Rogers Cup points she'll be just inside the top 200. (Baring in mind, she'll have to qualify for it and make QF) Considering she was seeded #28 at this slam, that is a massive drop in the rankings.
    Was just going to post that. Amazing how two weeks can change everything!

Elro wrote: »
    If he did it for the money, which is unlikely, why would he play 4 sets instead of just one. It was a strange decision given that he still had every chance of winning the match.

Its believable if its the flu.. You could try and go out and struggle through and if you get past the first day you might be feeling better when you're up next.

If it was the flu he could of had no energy left at that stage and cudn't go on anymore. Competing and doing you're best to get through it means more than money to some people.

Whispers that Darcis isn't going to play his R2 today. Fell on his shoulder against Nadal and apparently can't move it properly this morning.

Isner just retired after two games. Hurt his knee. He was the highest ranked player in that Q after Nadal/Wawrinka exits. Really opens it up for someone.

Whispers that Darcis isn't going to play his R2 today. Fell on his shoulder against Nadal and apparently can't move it properly this morning.

Seems to be true wimbledon site says it's a w/o for Kubot.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/results/day10.html

@stevedarcishark: Had to withdrawn after a win like this!?THE most difficult thing i had to do!!!#triedeverythingtoplaybutdidntwork!!!!

Yep.

Kubot must think all his Christmases have come at once. Should have been playing Nadal in R2, now doesn't have to play at all.

Azarenka doubtful as well. Saw her arriving this morning, looked quite glum. Although that might have been because Red Foo was holding up the line at security.

Hewitt has to be favourite to make the quarters from that q but he needs to beat Brown first. It's a great game, anyone else watching it?

• Advertisement

Elro wrote: »
    Hewitt has to be favourite to make the quarters from that q but he needs to beat Brown first. It's a great game, anyone else watching it?

Brown is about to go 2 sets up. My money is on Paire making the QF's from that Q.

Advertisement