Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options
  • 19-06-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭

Seeing as we are only a week away now from the start of the Wimbledon think it is time to start a thread.

The seedings for this have been released today:

Mens top 5 are:

1. Novak Djokovic
    2. Andy Murray
    3. Roger Federer
    4. David Ferrer
    5. Rafa Nadal.

Going to be some interesting quarter finals in the men if all the seeds make it through. I am surprised they went with Murray as number 2 instead of Federer, considering Federer is defending champion.

Anyways the top 5 womens are:

1. Serena Williams
    2. Victoria Azarenka
    3. Maria Sharapova
    4. Agnieszka Radwanska
    5. Sara Errani.

Only one winner of this unfortunately.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Floppybits wrote: »

Anyways the top 5 womens are:

1. Serena Williams
    2. Victoria Azarenka
    3. Maria Sharapova
    4. Agnieszka Radwanska
    5. Sara Errani.

Only one winner of this unfortunately.

I don't know, grass is a funny old surface, there are players that literally do nothing all year and then make a crazy run on grass. I feel though that if Serena's going to lose it has to be in one of the early rounds, once she makes the second week injuries are the only thing that will stop her.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know Rafa is world ranked 5, but seeded 5? Madness. Ferrer ahead of him due to his ranking position doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

So if Murray were to win he might have to go Rafa (QF) ----> Federer (SF) ----> Djokovic (F)? Ouch!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭BV4

walshb wrote: »
    I know Rafa is world ranked 5, but seeded 5? Madness. Ferrer ahead of him due to his ranking position doesn't cut it.

Also based on last year's performance at Wimbledon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

RosyLily wrote: »
    So if Murray were to win he might have to go Rafa (QF) ----> Federer (SF) ----> Djokovic (F)? Ouch!! :eek:

He may stay in bed for the next couple weeks if that's the case.:pac:

• Advertisement

BV4 wrote: »
    Also based on last year's performance at Wimbledon.

Exactly, based on ranking and last year, where Rafa lost in R2 and Ferrer was in the QF.

Draw is happening now....

MEN

Djokovic and Ferrer in one half. Murray and Federer in the other.

Possible Nadal/Federer QF.

Bottom half projected R16s: Nadal-Wawrinka, Almagro-Federer, Tsonga-Cilic, Tipsarevic-Murray.

Top half projected R16s: Djokovic-Haas Gasquet-Berdych, Ferrer-Kohlschreiber Nishikori-del Potro.

Hewitt vs Wawrinka the pick of R1 so far.

WOMEN

Serena and Aga in one half. Sharapova and Azarenka in the other.

Projected QFs: Serena-Kerber, Aga Radwanska-Li, Errani-Sharapova, Kvitova-Azarenka.
    (I can't see Kvitova/Azarenka actually happening though)

Laura Robson gets Kirilenko in R1, shame, I like them both.

Watson vs Madison Keys, interesting one there too. Both British girls could be out in R1.

Lisicki vs Schiavone in R1 too. Tough one, Lisicki loves the grass.

Ooooh, Stevens vs Jamie Hampton in R1. Hampton has been brilliant on grass this year. Bye bye Sloane.

Exactly, based on ranking and last year, where Rafa lost in R2 and Ferrer was in the QF.

It should not be just based on last year's performance. How about success in recent tournaments, head to heads recently? Maybe even overall performance at Wimbledon thru the recent years?

It should not be just based on last year's performance. How about success in recent tournaments, head to heads recently? Maybe even overall performance at Wimbledon thru the recent years?

There's a certain formula that Wimbledon use. I didn't design it. The fact that it's on grass means the rest of the years head to heads are kind of irrelevant.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Lams

Wow, tough draw for Rafa and Fed. Would love to see Fed destroy Rafa in straights as revenge for 2008. Can't see it happening now though, he's a mere 70% of his peak self now.

• Advertisement

I think Wimbledon count the player's last two or three performances at the tournament. So Nadal's wins would have no bearing on his ranking this year. Strange system!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Draw is happening now....

MEN

Djokovic and Ferrer in one half. Murray and Federer in the other.

Possible Nadal/Federer QF.

Bottom half projected R16s: Nadal-Wawrinka, Almagro-Federer, Tsonga-Cilic, Tipsarevic-Murray.

Top half projected R16s: Djokovic-Haas Gasquet-Berdych, Ferrer-Kohlschreiber Nishikori-del Potro.

Hewitt vs Wawrinka the pick of R1 so far.

WOMEN

Serena and Aga in one half. Sharapova and Azarenka in the other.

Projected QFs: Serena-Kerber, Aga Radwanska-Li, Errani-Sharapova, Kvitova-Azarenka.
    (I can't see Kvitova/Azarenka actually happening though)

Laura Robson gets Kirilenko in R1, shame, I like them both.

Watson vs Madison Keys, interesting one there too. Both British girls could be out in R1.

Lisicki vs Schiavone in R1 too. Tough one, Lisicki loves the grass.

Ooooh, Stevens vs Jamie Hampton in R1. Hampton has been brilliant on grass this year. Bye bye Sloane.

I can definitely see Kvitova-Azarenka happening, I think Kvitova will probably find her form for Wimbledon. If she does, Azarenka could be in trouble. I'd love to see this match happening, it's been a long time since they played each other and so much has happened for both of them since.

I'm not so sure about Jamie Hampton beating Sloane, Jamie will have played eight matches in the week coming in to Wimbledon! Surely that won't be of benefit to her? I'd love her to make a run though, I really like her game, and she'll be just outside the top 20 if she wins Eastbourne!

One matchup I can't see happening is Errani-Sharapova in the quarters :p

Djokovic pretty much has a bye to the final.

Really glad that Delpo has managed to avoid one of the big four for his projected QF. If he manages to find some form then he could get to the SF, but that's a big if tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

100% of last year's grass court results, and 75% of the previous year's grass court results are given as a points bonus. It's not just that Ferrer got further than Nadal at last year's Wimbledon (that actually wouldn't have been enough), it's that Ferrer also won one of the warm-up grass court tournaments. He has earned his seeding, not just with other surface results, but with grass court results as well.

RosyLily wrote: »
    I think Wimbledon count the player's last two or three performances at the tournament. So Nadal's wins would have no bearing on his ranking this year. Strange system!

How far back should the seeding system go, should Hewitt be a top seed since he is a former champion? I don't see any issue with the system at all.

Lams wrote: »
    How far back should the seeding system go, should Hewitt be a top seed since he is a former champion? I don't see any issue with the system at all.

I don't have an issue with the system. I think it's good that Wimbledon organisers take into account the player's ranking and their performances on grass.

Most of the top players only play 2, at most, grass tournaments in the year. So it makes sense that they look at other years rather than looking at clay or hard courts, which play nothing like grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Anyone else excited for a Wozniacki-Vekic 2R?
    Vekic seems to be playing well (Birmingham F) and Wozniacki could be troubled by her big serve, especially on grass. I hope it's on a show court! :P

For anyone who is interested espn classic is showing the official film of Wimbledon 2005 and all the way up to 2009

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oooooh S!>T!! Handbags at dawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Maria vs Serena final.
    First ever double golden set final?

Perhaps a double golden set is a bit of a stretch :D
    But a double bagel perhaps? Who knows! It very nearly happened last Summer, and now Serena's got even more motivation

I love that Maria hit back and doesn't bow down to Serene, despite her dominance, but it's just going to get her murdered (more than normal) next time they meet. :(

I agree TME. I like that Maria came out fighting. Most players would sit meekly and do nothing, purely because it's Serena. About time someone called her up! When they meet again, this is only gonna add more spice. I hope it angers Maria more and she's the one that does the murdering!

If they meet in the Wimbledon final, watch out!!:)

The video of Sharapova's comments make it sound a lot less bitchy than the reports did. She was sounding very mature and level headed about it all and then it was like she just couldn't resist getting a dig in at the end :)

I'd wanna get the dig in as well. She's just saying what the other female players are thinking imo!

^ Apparently Vika's press conference consisted of just 4 questions and when she was asked about Serena's comments she said she had no comment on them. If she had an issue with another player or needed clarification on what someone apparently said she'd go to them in person.

Of course that's easy to say when you're not the one that's been slated.

Heather Watson is now having a go at the higher ranked players for being mean.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2346572/Heather-Watson-shunned-higher-ranked-players.html

I think she's just commenting on the fact they're not very friendly, but I'm sure the tennis press will run with it and make a big deal.

Serena's presser not the bitch fest many were hoping for.

Says she talked to Maria at the Wimbledon party the other night in an attempt to apologise. Regrets that the stuff she said was printed, says she's been spoiled by the professionalism of the tennis media, which is basically a dig at Rolling Stone magazine. Wouldn't comment on what Sharapova said yesterday, basically not talking about her own personal life at all.

So, that's that. Seems to confirm the comments were about Maria and Grigor though. Although as far as I can make out she wasn't actually speaking to the journalist at the time, but he was there all day with her so kind of naive of her to think he wouldn't print everything.

Anyway, seems she's learned her lesson. Between this and the Sloane Stephen's magazine interview I'd say it'll be a while before a tennis player does one of these free form interviews again.

• Advertisement

Lams wrote: »
    For anyone who is interested espn classic is showing the official film of Wimbledon 2005 and all the way up to 2009

I watched the '09 film last night. Love them programs. Great for record keeping. Federer never served better than in that final against Roddick. Unreal.

Advertisement