Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Super passing shot by Rafa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

This game is over. He is hitting unbelievable shots

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hes been 2-0 down many a time in sets and I have never seen him visually struggle with injury this bad.

I think he meant 2 sets down.

Finished it with an ACE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

And that's all she wrote folks! Damn.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Lams

Nadal has always struggled in the early rounds of Wimbledon as he doesn't play we'll on fast grass.
    The grass in the final of Wimbledon is almost closer to clay than it is day 1 grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I hope Darcis' win isn't downplayed by speculation about the extent of Nadal's injury. A totally unexpected but completely deserved victory for the Belgian.

Just to put it into context, it's only his second ever win at Wimbledon. Well done Stevie Darcy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

And the happiest person of all is.....Roger Federer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I really like listening to Lindsay Davenport. She really knows her stuff.

Yeah, I think she's fantastic. Much better than Austin and she was great on the final last year with McEnroe and Petchey.
    Shame you have to listen to Andrew Castle to get her though.

Exactly. Unfortunately, he'll probably do the men's final again as well. The BBC have some absolutely excellent commentators such as David Mercer, Mark Petchey, Nick Mullins, Simon Reed etc. who are all far better than the banal Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Shocking stuff there from Nadal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

This Ward v Lu match is a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

I hope Ward wins, I'd love to see Murray crush him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't think we will be seeing nadal till the clay court season next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ill be bored in work tomorrow from 8am - 7pm.. Any particular games I should keep an eye out for?

This was my afternoon in work :D

1009878_10151465181611931_1905863433_n.jpg

garv123 wrote: »
    Ill be bored in work tomorrow from 8am - 7pm.. Any particular games I should keep an eye out for?

On paper Kirilenko vs Robson, Watson vs Keys and particularly Mattek-Sands vs Kerber which would be my pick of tomorrow for the women. But as always they could be very entertaining, they could be s**t fests.

Men's doesn't really look that interesting to be honest. Djokovic vs Mayer could be interesting. Mayer was in the QF last year, but hasn't done anything noteworthy since.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Tomic v Querrey and Simon v Lopez could both be good games. Lisicki v Schiavone looks to be the pick of the womens if they get on court.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't think we will be seeing nadal till the clay court season next year.

As a sufferer of Patella tendonitis myself its a terrible affliction and in sports where you have to turn direction quickly its more apparent.
    I hope he can overcome it but its very hard if not impossible to cure it .

As a sufferer of Patella tendonitis myself its a terrible affliction and in sports where you have to turn direction quickly its more apparent.
    I hope he can overcome it but its very hard if not impossible to cure it .

How come it didn't bother him at all during clay season? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

The clay courts are the softest ones they play on so it probably doesn't affect his knees so much. Also he'd only just come back from ages off so maybe the wear and tear of regular tournament tennis has started to take it's toll again although I hope that second one isn't true because it'd have a huge affect on his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think it was down to the slower clay courts. He had time to get in position and hit the ball but on the faster surface like grass he doesn't have as much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yeah that seems odd as he would have to do alot more scampering on a clay court than grass and its a hard court .
    Could be the gradual wear and tear ,it builds up but he had 2 weeks rest so it does seem odd.

As was earlier stated though Nadal always struggles the first week of Wimbledon ,a bit like Bjorg .Nadal even struggled in the earlier rounds in Paris this year.
    He had no grass court preparation and his top spin game and grip isnt suited to grass.

If he was playing on the fast grass of 10 years ago at Wimbledon he would struggle even more.

I will say Nadal has often pretended to be injured in the past ,notably against Soderling at Wimbledon when there was definitely nothing wrong with him.

If it is just that he was fine at the start of clay season but the wear and tear has made it sore again, where was his reasoning in playing like 8 clay court events? Why not just play the mandatory ones?

I'm not accusing him of anything, I just find it all very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

If it is just that he was fine at the start of clay season but the wear and tear has made it sore again, where was his reasoning in playing like 8 clay court events? Why not just play the mandatory ones?

I'm not accusing him of anything, I just find it all very odd.

The condition of nadal's knees is always shrouded in mystery. 8 month lay off, then storms to 8 finals in a row then the knees give out.

There is a well known blog which goes into some detail about his knees

• Registered Users Posts: 55,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The condition of nadal's knees is always shrouded in mystery. 8 month lay off, then storms to 8 finals in a row then the knees give out.

There is a well known blog which goes into some detail about his knees

They must be some "drugs" that can make a man go from out injured and incapable of competitive play to being unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Djokovic vs Mayer is a decent game to watch, some long rallies and good shots. djokovic is 1 set up.

walshb wrote: »
    They must be some "drugs" that can make a man go from out injured and incapable of competitive play to being unbeatable.

Well given how much confusion there was about when he was actually coming back, and Tony saying he'd play Australia, and then he didn't come back until March... well I kind of got the impression that his knees weren't actually bothering him for the whole time he was off.

He probably could have come back and played Australia but I don't think he wanted to. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he played one US Series event and the US Open and that's it for the rest of the year. His 2 months on clay were enough to qualify him for the YEC's and everything after Wimbledon is bonus points for him as he has nothing to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Little Laura is on fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

walshb wrote: »

Or maybe, he's not being 100% honest about the condition of his knees? It's a handy catch all excuse for pretty much any unexplained behaviour.

As Elmo mentioned, players are not above tactical withdrawal from tournaments, see murray at the French for an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah, I think it's fairly obvious Nadal is not being honest.

• Advertisement

nocoverart wrote: »
    Little Laura is on fire!

Young Laura, I think is more appropriate, she's 5' 11" :)

Advertisement