Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options
1525354555658»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

RosyLily wrote: »
    Wimbledon will always be exciting. It doesn't matter that Murray has now won it; not all about him.

I'm excited to see will he retain or will Federer or Nadal win another.

The winner of Wimbledon will always matter.

Well, maybe less exciting then. :P

Just the BBC coverage always wanted a British winner and there was always a doubt and therefore excitement that he wouldn't do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Speisekarte

Wimbledon will always be exciting. It doesn't matter that Murray has now won it; not all about him.

I'm excited to see will he retain or will Federer or Nadal win another.

The winner of Wimbledon will always matter.

Doesn't make a difference to me really just like I wouldn't find the French Open any less interesting if Tsonga already won it, same for Tomic Australian Open and Isner US open. Couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Doesn't make a difference to me really just like I wouldn't find the French Open any less interesting if Tsonga already won it, same for Tomic Australian Open and Isner US open. Couldn't care less.

Exactly! Wimbledon and the Grand Slams are interesting regardless of who wins. I think it would have been a bigger deal if an outsider won, a la Ivanisevic in 2001. I love it when that happens!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Exactly! Wimbledon and the Grand Slams are interesting regardless of who wins. I think it would have been a bigger deal if an outsider won, a la Ivanisevic in 2001. I love it when that happens!:D

Thats not good, we need Murray to chase his next target now, the World Number 1 spot!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thats not good, we need Murray to chase his next target now, the World Number 1 spot!

I think he will get world #1. He's achieved so much, this must be the next logical step. However, he said more slams are his priorities right now, not the #1 ranking :)

I still can't get over the fact that Andy is the current holder of 2 grand slams! This time last year we were all wondering if he'd ever win one. He could well have won his 3rd by the end of the season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

And so another Wimbledon comes to and end. See y'all bandwagoners next July!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think he will get world #1. He's achieved so much, this must be the next logical step. However, he said more slams are his priorities right now, not the #1 ranking :)

I still can't get over the fact that Andy is the current holder of 2 grand slams! This time last year we were all wondering if he'd ever win one. He could well have won his 3rd by the end of the season :)

And winning slams is where you gain the most points, which is so important in chasing the top spot. The U.S. Open would be a great win. I predicted Murray for 3 slams in 2013. Almost did Australia. Wins SW19, and a great chance in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

walshb wrote: »
    And winning slams is where you gain the most points, which is so important in chasing the top spot. The U.S. Open would be a great win. I predicted Murray for 3 slams in 2013. Almost did Australia. Wins SW19, and a great chance in New York.

I've been a fan ofmurray his whole career and always thought he had slams in him. I'm delighted he has two in the bag now. But I still feel he's a ways short of being the best player in the world. I think if he plays djokovic or nadal on their best day they win. For a couple of reasons, firstly, he has yet to beat 2 of the big four in consecutive best of five matches, if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, while I wouldn't call his slam wins fortunate, certain things in both tourneys went his way, the way the draw opened up for him at Wimbledon and the terrible conditions in New York which favoured andy more so than djokovic.

I think he'll win a couple more slams and be particularly hard to beat at Wimbledon, even though he favours the hard court I actually think he's the best grass court player in the world. But I don't think he'll have an extended period at number one and be favourite for every tournament he plays, like the other three have had. I'd love to be wrong but that's the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've been a fan ofmurray his whole career and always thought he had slams in him. I'm delighted he has two in the bag now. But I still feel he's a ways short of being the best player in the world. I think if he plays djokovic or nadal on their best day they win. For a couple of reasons, firstly, he has yet to beat 2 of the big four in consecutive best of five matches, if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, while I wouldn't call his slam wins fortunate, certain things in both tourneys went his way, the way the draw opened up for him at Wimbledon and the terrible conditions in New York which favoured andy more so than djokovic.

I think he'll win a couple more slams and be particularly hard to beat at Wimbledon, even though he favours the hard court I actually think he's the best grass court player in the world. But I don't think he'll have an extended period at number one and be favourite for every tournament he plays, like the other three have had. I'd love to be wrong but that's the way I see it.

I see what you're saying, but his record against the others is pretty good. They have more big wins, but he's finding his top form right now. I don't see him dominating top spot like they did do and are doing, but he is right up with them.

I don't agree with the point about the tournys going his way. It's a basic tennis match on a court that both players play. Swings and roundabouts. Conditions and surfaces etc for all the players.

On their best days they win? So, are you implying that any losses they suffer to Murray are due to maybe Murray being on form and them having a "bad" day? Ok, that can happen once or twice, but his overall record against them across ALL matches dispels that a wee bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

walshb wrote: »
    I see what you're saying, but his record against the others is pretty good. They have more big wins, but he's finding his top form right now. I don't see him dominating top spot like they did do and are doing, but he is right up with them.

I don't agree with the point about the tournys going his way. It's a basic tennis match on a court that both players play. Swings and roundabouts. Conditions and surfaces etc for all the players.

On their best days they win? So, are you implying that any losses they suffer to Murray are due to maybe Murray being on form and them having a "bad" day? Ok, that can happen once or twice, but his overall record against them across ALL matches dispels that a wee bit.

His overall record against fed is excellent, but not great in the slams. He has losing records against the other two and his record against nadal in particular is pretty poor. He has however always been competitive against these guys and i dont mean to imply that any win he has against them would be as a result of the other guy having an off day. I just believe that the other guys are ultimately more talented players.

I also see your point about swings and roundabouts re: conditions etc, for example if the roof stayed closed last year at wimbledon, i think murray would have won.

It is to murray's eternal credit that through perseverance and bloodymindedness he has elevated his game to the level where he can play and beat 3 of the all time greats.

The rest of the season will tell us a lot, it will be interesting to see what fed has left in the tank and what sort of Nadal turns up for the hard court season. I'll be watching the masters series tournaments with added interest and the US open could be something special. I definitely dont see murray at number 1 for at least 6 months though, i think his focus will be almost exclusively on the majors for the next while and if no. 1 happens it happens, i dont see him killing himself in the 1000 events.

How do you see the rest of the season panning out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

How do you see the rest of the season panning out?

For rest of season discussion, bring it to 'The In-between Grand Slam' thread. Thanks!:)

Advertisement