Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Tomorrow's schedule has been released. http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Its Wimbledon time again & I am so looking forward to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Can't wait. Love the 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Serena's presser not the bitch fest many were hoping for.

Says she talked to Maria at the Wimbledon party the other night in an attempt to apologise. Regrets that the stuff she said was printed, says she's been spoiled by the professionalism of the tennis media, which is basically a dig at Rolling Stone magazine. Wouldn't comment on what Sharapova said yesterday, basically not talking about her own personal life at all.

So, that's that. Seems to confirm the comments were about Maria and Grigor though. Although as far as I can make out she wasn't actually speaking to the journalist at the time, but he was there all day with her so kind of naive of her to think he wouldn't print everything.

Anyway, seems she's learned her lesson. Between this and the Sloane Stephen's magazine interview I'd say it'll be a while before a tennis player does one of these free form interviews again.

I watched the Murray programme last night on BBC and can understand why these press conferences are so bland when you see the abuse he got after his comments about the English footbal team were made in jest.

Journalists are their own worst enemies here where they print so much crap that the players just dont say anything anymore in the press conferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Trying to watch it online, but having terrible problems with the BBC player stopping and starting. It's a pain in the ass to watch.

As for the draw, Djokovic has it a bit easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Errani truly justifying her #5 seeding :p

Disappointing that the BBC will only be showing two matches at a time on TV, when they used to have a selection of about 5 or 6 :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Floppybits wrote: »
    I watched the Murray programme last night on BBC and can understand why these press conferences are so bland when you see the abuse he got after his comments about the English footbal team were made in jest.

Journalists are their own worst enemies here where they print so much crap that the players just don't say anything anymore in the press conferences.

Exactly. They complain when they're not getting anything juicy from players then someone does or says something and the press blow it all out of proportion and crucify the player and then are surprised when they don't talk to them anymore.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Looks like Azarenkas Wimbledon is all over :eek:

Looks like Azarenkas Wimbledon is all over :eek:

What's happened? ?She won the first set 6-1 and is 1-0 up in the second. Is she injured?

What's happened? ?She won the first set 6-1 and is 1-0 up in the second. Is she injured?

Fell to the ground, howling in pain and bawling her eyes out :eek:
    Though she seems better now, it's all up in the air if she'll be able to continue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

That was a really bad fall. Azarenka's a trooper though. I hope she can come through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Fell to the ground, howling in pain and bawling her eyes out :eek:
    Though she seems better now, it's all up in the air if she'll be able to continue though.

An awlful lot of strapping. Cant see her lasting.

I dunno, Koehler is such a choker (JJ AO comes to mind) and Vika with an injury tends to become more aggressive. I still think Vika can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Have the BBC made serious cutbacks to the Red Button service this year? I remember they used to show a ton of matches on there.

Koehler should really be doing a bit better here given the circumstances.

Azarenka will come through today the rest of the tournament must be in doubt.

Azarenka will come through today the rest of the tournament must be in doubt.

She's good at overplaying her injuries though. Anklerenka vs Radwanska, Backrenka vs Stephens. I think with the day off inbetween her matches she'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

nocoverart wrote: »
    Have the BBC made serious cutbacks to the Red Button service this year? I remember they used to show a ton of matches on there.

Yes only 1 official red button now. But they have bought an extra channel for red button for the couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How does Elena Baltacha still get Wimbledon Wild Cards? I counted 8 (including this year) from her wiki page. Her best performance was the 3rd round 11 years ago.

How does Elena Baltacha still get Wimbledon Wild Cards? I counted 8 (including this year) from her wiki page. Her best performance was the 3rd round 11 years ago.

She won a 50K on grass a few weeks back, she made the 2r of Eastbourne last week and took Kirilenko (World #10) to three sets. This year, IMO she actually deserved one.

• Advertisement

Simple, she is british.

Simple, she is british.

Actually thats a bit too flippant, basically she is one of the top women british players and therefore gets a wild card, I think all grand slams are like this.

All the Slams give WC's to their own players. The French Open is crawling with French players you'll never see anywhere else again. And given that there's really only 2/3 British Women outside of Robson and Watson it's not that big a deal that they give the WC's to Blatacha and Keothavong, who have represented GB at Fed Cup for 12 years or something ridiculous like that.

This Sharapova/Mladenovic match is good fun. Really good tennis from both.

Mlad is, I think, one of the more talented of the "up and coming" generation.

Mladenovic will only be a top 20 player IMO. Maybe like Kirilenko where she sneaks into the top 10. Her movement can be exposed too easily and she can be broken down by hard hitters. Not as talented as Keys, Barthel,Vekic or Stephens IMO.

I really like listening to Lindsay Davenport. She really knows her stuff.

Shame you have to listen to Andrew Castle to get her though.

She's also known as an avid Maria hater. ;) Andrew Castle though......:rolleyes: I can't stand him and John Inverdale. Sam Smith is quite good and Jo Durie too. There's another man who's good but I can't think of his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Steve Darcis has won the first set against Nadal 7-6. Going on serve in the 2nd. Darcis is playing so well; doesn't seem overawed by the occasion.
    Azarenka also came through her match, 6-1, 6-2. No word yet on her injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

RosyLily wrote: »
    Steve Darcis has won the first set against Nadal 7-6. Going on serve in the 2nd. Darcis is playing so well; doesn't seem overawed by the occasion.
    Azarenka also came through her match, 6-1, 6-2. No word yet on her injury.

Nadal just managed to save 3 set points in the tie breaker of the 2nd set

Advertisement