Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Sharapova falls for the third time on the same place on the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I know what you're thinking garv! :D
    2790387-IF-you-know-what-i-mean.png

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    I know what you're thinking garv! :D

Shhh. :D

Not looking good for sharpova here, on an injury timeout now.

Not looking good for male viewers if her and Kirilenko are out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This is absolutely ridiculous really. People falling all over the place, injuries, withdrawals. Shaping up to be a very dull tournament.

And thats all they wrote for sharapova, at least she went down fighting. Great finish to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

And there goes Maria at least I won't have to put up with her screaming for the rest of the tournament.

Might as well just hand the women's title to Serena now.

Could have done that weeks ago to be fair.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Serena was always winning it anyway, regardless of what happened in this half of the draw.

It makes it slightly more interesting in one way because we're going to get some match ups we weren't expecting.

There was a few retirements in doubles too. Absolute chaos today.

There was a few retirements in doubles too. Absolute chaos today.

Any idea why Tomic/Troicki retired? They're both still left in the main draw so I hope it wasn't another injury.

Edit: Hamstring problem for Tomic apparently no word on what that means for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Staks just took a set off Fed and has taken him to 2 TB's. Very strange day.

The organisers might have a bit of explaining to do after today. I mean, sure it's England and they get a lot of rain, but surely it's the responsibility of the organisers to make sure that the courts are suitable and safe for play? It looked downright dangerous out there at times today. Jankovic went over in her match too, I saw.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was out for the whole day and I'm just :eek::eek::eek: at the results!
    Sharapova out! Wozniacki out! Ivanovic out! Azarenka out!
    The bottom half is anyone's guess now, although it's a super chance for Kvitova to get to the finals. Perhaps a Kvitova-Stephens semi?

Mens draw is utter chaos too. Didn't think I'd miss anything major today!

Might not be over yet Fed just went 2-1 down

edit: getting slightly ahead of myself. I meant a break down, Stakhonski serving for the set.

edit 2: now he's 2-1 down :D

The organisers might have a bit of explaining to do after today. I mean, sure it's England and they get a lot of rain, but surely it's the responsibility of the organisers to make sure that the courts are suitable and safe for play? It looked downright dangerous out there at times today. Jankovic went over in her match too, I saw.

It's all on Ct 2 though, isn't it? They were blaming the wet Spring earlier for the grass not growing right, or something. I don't know. It's been a very strange day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Elro wrote: »
    Might not be over yet Fed just went 2-1 down

edit: getting slightly ahead of myself. I meant a break down, Stakhonski serving for the set.

edit 2: now he's 2-1 down :D

Its a good match but Federer is not hitting the ball well enough,alot of miss hits.
    Fair play to Stakhovsky,he is playing serve and volley,nice to see that in this baseline era.

Irrespective of whether Federer wins or loses today I think this will be his last Wimbledon he just isnt consistent enough,its sad to see him these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

This has to be one of the strangest days in Wimbledon history. Players falling everywhere, both literally and figuratively!

Stakovsky 2 sets to 1 up on Federer. 1-1 in 4th set.:eek:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What are the implications of Sharapova's loss today? I mean, is she just no longer that good on grass?
    (Obviously I know the court conditions seemed to be a factor today as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Federer bizarrely hasnt broken serve yet despite Stakovsky's average first serve being only 116mph .
    Stakovsky is employing Nadals tactic of serving almost exclusively to Federer's backhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Unfortunately- 2013 Wimbledon is turning into a farce! Very shocking that 7 players got injured on the same day- shocking! I think Nadal made a brave and wise decision not to stress his knees at the expense of his career in the first round.

Meanwhile Roger is struggling in the 2nd round, 2 sets and a break down - shocking stuff but you never know with the great man

• Advertisement

This could be the turning point..

What are the implications of Sharapova's loss today? I mean, is she just no longer that good on grass?
    (Obviously I know the court conditions seemed to be a factor today as well)

I don't know that she's ever been that good on grass, to be honest. I think the surface today made her worse but, as she said herself, her opponent was playing on the same court, so she can't blame that. I think she just had a really s**t day and LDB had a really good day.

She still moves up to #2 again in the rankings, so silver linings and all that :)

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Unfortunately- 2013 Wimbledon is turning into a farce! Very shocking that 7 players got injured on the same day- shocking! I think Nadal made a brave and wise decision not to stress his knees at the expense of his career in the first round.

7 players didn't get injured on the same day. Shvedova, Darcis, Azarenka and Cilic were carrying injuries which they couldn't shake.

Federer being a bit of an ass now

Statement from Chief Exec.
    “There has been a high number of withdrawals at The Championships today and we sympathise with all the players affected. The withdrawals have occurred for a variety of reasons, but there have been some suggestion that the court surface is to blame. We have no reason to think this is the case. Indeed, many players have complimented us on the very good condition of the courts.

“The court preparation has been to exactly the same meticulous standard as in previous years and it is well known that grass surfaces tend to be more lush at the start of an event. The factual evidence, which is independently checked, is that the courts are almost identical to last year, as dry and firm as they should be, and we expect them to continue to play to their usual high quality.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

7 players didn't get injured on the same day. Shvedova, Darcis, Azarenka and Cilic were carrying injuries which they couldn't shake.

Well you are right but they all sustained these injuries at Wimbledon. Surely something aint right- I watched Sharapova's match and those falls were extremely dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Federer seems to be relying on his opponent bottling it at this stage. Mini-break down in the tie-breaker, and showing no sign of upping his form!

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Well you are right but they all sustained these injuries at Wimbledon. Surely something aint right- I watched Sharapova's match and those falls were extremely dangerous.

The third time she fell was almost exactly like Vika's fall where she hurt her knee. There is something weird going on for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fed gone :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Federer out of Wimbledon in the 2nd round.

Advertisement