Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

eddhorse wrote: »
    Didnt think those last two worked with Saorview.

Anything designed to pick up the older analogue TV will or should work fine with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

"Raspberry Pi 2" being released today, now using a quad core BCM2836 and 1GB of RAM.
    Claims of 6x performance improvements should help with those emulation projects :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Will it run Cave shmups though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Will it run Cave shmups though?

Probably.

http://www.raspberrypi.org
    A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
    1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
    Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
    Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can see finally owning a Raspberry Pi in the not too distant future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I don't think being quad core will make any different but updating to a more modern arm architecture definitely should.

megaten wrote: »
    I don't think being quad core will make any different but updating to a more modern arm architecture definitely should.

And double the RAM, i have the B+ with 512MB and its sluggish on XBMC.

Well, I look forward to the retro gaming community letting me know of the dazzling performance, or otherwise, of this new iteration.
    Could be the saviour of Mame cabs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I look forward to the retro gaming community letting me know of the dazzling performance, or otherwise, of this new iteration.
    Could be the saviour of Mame cabs everywhere.

Video is still either HDMI,VGA or Composite. I don't think it can output at 15KHz so unless you bit-bang RGBS out the gpio's you're stuck with a PC monitor or one of the adapter cards.

Video is still either HDMI,VGA or Composite. I don't think it can output at 15KHz so unless you bit-bang RGBS out the gpio's you're stuck with a PC monitor or one of the adapter cards.

I'm going to nod my head slowly and pretend like I know what the highlighted section means...

On a brighter note it is a trisync monitor on the AWSD, so it can take a VGA cable of varying frequencies, well, three frequencies, hence the name...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

a RGB add-on board would be awesome now they've increased the power a little.
    I found the old revision Pi too slow

I've seen guys online using hdmi to VGA converter along with a downscaler(VGA to CGA) to get 15KHz RGB
    http://hackaday.com/2012/12/17/using-arcade-monitors-with-the-raspberry-pi/

I think it will make sense for a bartop due to space and probably an LCD monitor.
    I found lag with my B+ , we will see how these projects turn out.
    Who's first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's still unlikely to be able to handle Mame's HLSL though is it? Which is kind of a necessity if using an lcd/31khz...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's still unlikely to be able to handle Mame's HLSL though is it? Which is kind of a necessity if using an lcd/31khz...

I doubt it, still a nice upgrade and compatible with previous software and hardware(which is awesome). And still the same price :)

Support for windows 10 built in, will be interesting to see that!
    I've ordered one to test from RS.

gonna stick in an order on radionics site too, €41 inc delivery ain't bad :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0088K7QUQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/280-7158007-5301701

HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support

eddhorse wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0088K7QUQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/280-7158007-5301701

HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support

I use more or less the same thing to connect a Raspberry Pi running Raspicade to my Egret 3 a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Software scan lines are probably as good as it'd go I'd guess.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I use more or less the same thing to connect a Raspberry Pi running Raspicade to my Egret 3 a while back.

the E3 is obviously trisync?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B yesterday and it arrived this morning - now thats quick shipping!
    Will compile AdvancedMAME and have a tinker with it on the new Pi when I get a chance. I will report back whenever I get to test it.

• Advertisement

Got around to testing Kodi(XBMC) on the Raspberry Pi 2 last night. I must say its a massive step up even from the B+ board and is definitely a valid option now I think when you are deciding on a media player for the tv(the older Pi's performance just didn't do it for me).

Boot time is not an issue anymore either as its ready to go after about 14 seconds.
    I used the latest OpenElec build as that supports the Pi 2 and its enhancements. It does crash when I try to play 4k vids, but thats not really an issue for me(1080 etc play silky smooth and instantaneously).

I wanted a smaller case than my usual full size Pibow, so i went with the Pibow Coupé Flotilla :) I've already got a Vesa mount for it so that helped in the decision.

On to the more important emulation tests this evening :)

WLyLGR2.jpg

Nuovosk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Excellent, cheers Steve. Now that the XBMC performance is up to speed this is now something I'm quite seriously considering.

Excellent, cheers Steve. Now that the XBMC performance is up to speed this is now something I'm quite seriously considering.

For the price I don't think the Pi 2 can be beat as a Kodi box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Where did you manage to pick up the Pi 2 Steve if you don't mind me asking?

MrVestek wrote: »
    Where did you manage to pick up the Pi 2 Steve if you don't mind me asking?

Got one from RS last week and one from pimoroni this morning.

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/8326274/

http://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/raspberry-pi-2

Come on and test Mame on it already!
    Need to know Cave shooter emulation performance before I invest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That low profile case looks very nice Steve, nice purchase!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That low profile case looks very nice Steve, nice purchase!

Yeah its nice. Has the GPIO pins labeled on it as well, which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The only thing that bothtered me about OpenELEC is that it has absolutely no support for upnp, you just get a system freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

Thinking of picking one of these up and putting retropi on it.

Id like to be able to run 4 PS3 joyads over bluetooth, anyone know if this is easily achievable and will I have latency issues?

Advertisement