Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options
  • 14-06-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Just got a Raspberry PI for my birthday of the wife (I swear its to keep me quite and to spend more time in the Bhoys room :P )
    Just downloading the OS now, and wondering, have any of ye got one? Do ye use it for retro emulation, quake etc ??

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I haven't gotten one but would be interested to hear how you get on. i wouldn't expect to play anything from the mid 90's on (Arcade games) but it should play older ones.

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just built this there now :)

1001445_10151422256316436_314925514_n.jpg

1011828_10151422256626436_1119810423_n.jpg

1003971_10151422256991436_748564405_n.jpg

8453_10151422255901436_2079044472_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

just configuring retropie as we speak and hope to get it up and running by the weekend. Must admit, for a 30 quid machine, it can do a lot.

Check out these :P

14scoeb.jpg

The Picade kickstarter also looks like a great little project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

djsim101 wrote: »
    just configuring retropie as we speak and hope to get it up and running by the weekend. Must admit, for a 30 quid machine, it can do a lot.

Check out these :P

14scoeb.jpg

The Picade kickstarter also looks like a great little project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

If you ever consider selling complete versions of those, without the copyright covered files, of course, I'd be mighty pleased to be your first customer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The Pibow cases those people make for the Raspberry Pi are absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see what comes of their Picade.

I have a Raspberry Pi here for the past two months that I haven't even touched... I really must sort it out and get it up and running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Hey djsim101, make any progress with this?

I had one for months and only made another crack at it yesterday.

RaspBMC firstly, fully configured with addons and then saved that image for future use.

Was going to try the different emulator/gaming options, what you use after?

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've just completed a build using a Raspberry Pi. I used Pi Mame http://pimame.org/ which I'd highly recommend.

Dingatron wrote: »
    I've just completed a build using a Raspberry Pi. I used Pi Mame http://pimame.org/ which I'd highly recommend.

Wow looks great, is that your actual cab?

Looks straightforward enough, I have a 32GB SD card so lots of room.

Great that you can back up the images and try some other projects.....like this:
    http://youtu.be/e2YtARzJTys

eddhorse wrote: »
    Wow looks great, is that your actual cab?

Looks straightforward enough, I have a 32GB SD card so lots of room.

Great that you can back up the images and try some other projects.....like this:
    http://youtu.be/e2YtARzJTys

Thanks it was really made for the kids and me being the biggest. :) Very happy with how it turned out and Pi Mame I'd highly recommend as the emulators are optimised for the Pi. Everything worked out of the box with the exception of the sound which I was able to fix using a sound troubleshooting guide. It's also very easy to back up the image once your happy everything is working. If you've any questions on the build let me know.

My next project will hopefully be a Retro Internet radio powered internally by a Pi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Imagine the Pi working in concert with a little valve amp, that would be all kinds of cool!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Imagine the Pi working in concert with a little valve amp, that would be all kinds of cool!

That's a great idea thanks! I'll definitely look into incorporating a valve amp. :cool:

Dingatron wrote: »
    Thanks it was really made for the kids and me being the biggest. :) Very happy with how it turned out and Pi Mame I'd highly recommend as the emulators are optimised for the Pi. Everything worked out of the box with the exception of the sound which I was able to fix using a sound troubleshooting guide. It's also very easy to back up the image once your happy everything is working. If you've any questions on the build let me know.

My next project will hopefully be a Retro Internet radio powered internally by a Pi.

Wow that is super smashing great, good job.
    I'll give that PiMame a go next.

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

in process of finishing off 2 like in djsims post had been planing on puting xbox original with coinops inside was a bit worried about heat, tight space even with dvd drive removed and 2.5 hdd so this would be perfect do they run mame well

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know it's a year old, but this thread is so specific that there is no point in starting a new one.

I was reading up about this last week (particularly RetroPie), and the thought of a microsize ultra-portable retro games console really appealed to me.

I ordered a B+ over the weekend and it should arrive tomorrow.

Who is actively using RetroPie and are there any tips and tricks that I need to know to get up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

I just taken delivery of PiTFT screen and I already have the model B Pi. I am going to try and build a handheld console.
    Im inspired by the Ben Heck video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZjzQuTNX4)
    I dont have a 3d printer so might make it out of wood and plastic. Just for fun.
    I have used retroPie before with an LCD and PS3 controller and it works great for most retro games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr E wrote: »
    Who is actively using RetroPie and are there any tips and tricks that I need to know to get up and running?

Our very own Mr Vestek has some vids on it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,460 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How's the emulation performance on these?

Would it be possible to set up a simple front end with MAME or would it be frameskip hell?

Was thinking of hooking one up to a Jpac if possible and trying out emulation on a cab before dropping cash on PC components.

o1s1n wrote: »

Would it be possible to set up a simple front end with MAME or would it be frameskip hell?

Some samples games running here. Looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »

Was thinking of hooking one up to a Jpac if possible and trying out emulation on a cab before dropping cash on PC components.

To run Street Fighter 2 you kinda need to overclock from my experience.

I couldn't get RetroPi going for me, everytime i launched a game or emulator it booted me out of it.

I had much better luck with PiMame.

• Advertisement

OK, I'm up and running. Installed the RetroPie image on my SD card, got my PS3 controller working, and I've just had a game of Doom, Super Mario World and Sonic. All good (but Doom looked rough!)

I tried Bubble Bobble on the C64, but the controller went a bit nuts (and it tape-loaded in realtime too - took at least a minute) - I'll figure that out tomorrow.

I got a bluetooth dongle today for €2, but the PS3 controller still only works wired.

MAME and wireless controls are my projects for tomorrow night. :)

OK, I'm up and running. Installed the RetroPie image on my SD card, got my PS3 controller working, and I've just had a game of Doom, Super Mario World and Sonic. All good (but Doom looked rough!)

I tried Bubble Bobble on the C64, but the controller went a bit nuts (and it tape-loaded in realtime too - took at least a minute) - I'll figure that out tomorrow.

I got a bluetooth dongle today for €2, but the PS3 controller still only works wired.

MAME and wireless controls are my projects for tomorrow night. :)

Heading back to Ireland tomorrow. If you need a hand let me know! :-)

Thanks MrV, your 3 videos were my main reference last night, great job. :)

MrV - from doing a bit of googling this morning, it seems that getting PS3 controllers to work over Bluetooth (wirelessly) is a bit tricky. See here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16702

Did you have to do anything special to get it working?

MrV - from doing a bit of googling this morning, it seems that getting PS3 controllers to work over Bluetooth (wirelessly) is a bit tricky. See here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16702

Did you have to do anything special to get it working?

My third video shows you how to do that.

I find that you need to pair up the controller using the cable first and then when you disconnect / reconnect it'll work wirelessly.

Yeah followed your steps, but didn't seem to work wirelessly afterwards. I'll try again this week.

Yeah followed your steps, but didn't seem to work wirelessly afterwards. I'll try again this week.

I had issues with that too, think it was the different Bluetooth USB dongle.
    Make sure you have external USB hub.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The B+ board has 4 USB ports. Why do I need a hub?

Thanks Ed. The B+ board has 4 USB ports. Why do I need a hub?

Depending on the PSU you're using for the Pi the Pi may not have enough leftover power to give the full 5v or at the full 500ma to each USB port.

For optimum efficiency use a powered usb hub.

If not a different USB dongle. Although I find that the cheapie cheap €1.49 dongles from Dealz work just fine with the Pi, that's what I was using myself in the videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Get yourself a 2A/2000mA micro USB psu for the B+ and you'll be fine.

Advertisement