Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Star Lord wrote: »
    The Pi has HDMI out doesn't it?

The B Model sure does! So does B+

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

They all have HDMI and composite video out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm considering trying to set up a mini arcade setup using a Pi, iPAC and most likely a LCD screen (for space reasons mostly!)
    I know LCD is mostly considered a crime here though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The Pi has HDMI out doesn't it?

It does but it is possible to get back to 15khz and put it in a jamma cab
    http://arrifana.org/blog/2012/12/connection-a-raspberry-pi-to-an-old-15khz-arcade-monitor/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose if you have an Egret or AWSD you're laughing as it's trisync and has a VGA input, isn't it just a matter then of converting the Hdmi to VGA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I found this tag on Lifehacker this morning - http://lifehacker.com/tag/raspberry-pi

Some really cool stuff there that I want to try (and on topic, some great emulation projects too). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm considering trying to set up a mini arcade setup using a Pi, iPAC and most likely a LCD screen (for space reasons mostly!)
    I know LCD is mostly considered a crime here though. :(

The HLSL effects in mame are really sweet, & go some way towards making lcd's acceptable. They're no substitute for a crt mind, but it's a big step in the right direction. I doubt a Pi though would have enough in the tank to run them

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I suppose if you have an Egret or AWSD you're laughing as it's trisync and has a VGA input, isn't it just a matter then of converting the Hdmi to VGA?

Yeah I've hooked a Pi up to my Egret 3 via a HDMI to VGA adapter I grabbed on eBay. Also works on the PS3 but I had to change the settings on that before hooking up to egret. Just a matter of hooking it up to a tv and changing the display settings so that anything above 576p is disabled on the HDMI and audio is set to come out of the AV Multi Out port.

I'll find a link to the exact adapter I got later if anyone is interested.

Edit:
    Oh, and set the PS3 to 4:3 as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One won't be playing any Cave shooters on it I suppose, but I'd say it'd make an excellent alternative to a 60 in 1 Arcade pcb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

MrVestek wrote: »
    Can everybody stop changing nicknames please? I have no idea who anybody is anymore...
    Myrddin wrote: »
    No prob Achilles

857774_Clap_gif2337cd94874249c739512e7509fae2ad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So I had another look at Emulation Station.
    The previous versions I tried didn't have a great frontend but the new 2.0 version looks a lot better. Also it has a scraper for meta data and can rename all your files, handy.

http://youtu.be/AVQVmsFOclM

Also PiMame is now called PiPlay and seems to have a very active programmer, updates a lot.

So gonna try both of these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well crap that means all of my tutorials are out of date now.

This is what happens when I wait a year to make a new episode... aherm.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Well crap that means all of my tutorials are out of date now.

This is what happens when I wait a year to make a new episode... aherm.

Not that different, the front end for emulation station is very crisp and clear.
    Pics to follow , detected my ps3 controller straight off boot.
    Filezilla-ing some roms i have purchased now for testing.

Brand new 2A plug, still no wireless controller. I'm guessing it's the €1.50 Bluetooth dongle now... I'll have to try and find another one.

Mr E wrote: »
    Brand new 2A plug, still no wireless controller. I'm guessing it's the €1.50 Bluetooth dongle now... I'll have to try and find another one.

Well Dealz is the place for that. I'm using my controller wired with USB for now.
    Had a few issues with Emulation Station, the older consoles seemed ok SNES Megadrive Atari etc but had issues with C64 and N64. I literally had to load a C64 game like the old days :)

The scraping tool is great, if it can't find a game for instance I had Treasure_Island_Dizzy it will let you search manually without the underscore and you can select from the closest match list.

Might try PiPlay later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Thinking of using one of these in my next bartop instead of a 60-in-1 so will be used for vertical older stuff and maybe a cave shooter if performance is up to it.

So.. does PiPlay have boot splash support (pretty picture when booting rather then loads of kernel output) ?
    How configurable is the frontend ? Possible to remove all the console stuff and setup a vertical theme ?

OK got a Dealz bluetooth dongle yesterday and got a bit further last night.

I had to go through this process (downloading and compiling SixPair, plus downloading, patching and installing SixAxisManager).

Now when I run sixad --start, the lights on the controller cycle, the controller vibrates, it shuts itself down, and I get the following message:
    Bad Sixaxis buffer (out of battery?), disconneting now...

Battery is fine, I fully charged it the day before. I even charged it for half an hour last night before trying again.
    Has anyone come across this? I've seen the message pop up a few times for other people, but there doesn't seem to be a solution.
    It's a genuine Sixaxis controller (it came with the console).

Thinking of using one of these in my next bartop instead of a 60-in-1 so will be used for vertical older stuff and maybe a cave shooter if performance is up to it.

So.. does PiPlay have boot splash support (pretty picture when booting rather then loads of kernel output) ?
    How configurable is the frontend ? Possible to remove all the console stuff and setup a vertical theme ?

Raspicade seems to support quiet boot so it hides the Linux boot and possible has a boot or loading video option.

Cheers I might try that one instead, looks more Mame focused.

Getting too lazy to deal with custom kernel builds etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

Oooohhh I like the idea of replacing the Pi's boot with a video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I have a broken PSx and was thinking of putting a pi in it and powering it off the psx psu and using its controller ports. Anyone attempt this or come across any examples of it being done?

I have a broken PSx and was thinking of putting a pi in it and powering it off the psx psu and using its controller ports. Anyone attempt this or come across any examples of it being done?

Here you go,
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here you go,
    link

That'd be better in a psOne. You could even try and use those clip on screens.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    That'd be better in a psOne. You could even try and use those clip on screens.

That...

...is a fantastic idea! Would you hollow out the LCD and put in a RPi compatible screen or go hardcore and try to wire the PS' LCD to the GIPO pins on the RPi?

The PS One screen has a composite in channel I think.

The PS One screen has a composite in channel I think.

Oh perfect! Solder directly to the connector. Keep it nice and clean. :P

Speaking of screens. My little touchscreen for the Raspberry Pi from adafruit arrived this morning(with some other goodies). Nice little thing actually and I'll get it soldered up tomorrow I think. Will post a few pics here then.

Seeedstudio have a nice 10.1" LCD for $90, was tempted to get one with the Pi B+ but had spent enough there already !!

• Advertisement

Here's a quick and nasty vid I just did of Raspicade running on the arcade monitor inside my Egret 3.
    It's hooked up to the VGA input via a cheap but good HDMI to VGA adapter. You need to make a few changes to the config.txt file on the SD card to get it to run, but nothing major at all.

Advertisement